Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wizard from Milan
Barmy

236 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2007 :  01:13:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess the movie was ok.
Better than the movies for PS, CoS and GoF.
Possibly worse than the (just ok) PoA.
This is also my least favorite book though, so...
Go to Top of Page

Foebane
Addled

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2007 :  06:03:24  Show Profile  Visit Foebane's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Steve Kloves didn't write the screenplay? No wonder it was so good!
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2007 :  16:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kloves's screenplays are fine, have you never read them? The full ones, I mean. He didn't write Power!Hermione, for instance.

Here are various HP scripts: http://www.joblo.com/moviescripts_archives.php?first_letter=h&from=0

quote:
DUMBLEDORE
Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say, before we become befuddled by our excellent feast. I myself am particularly looking forward to the flaming kiwi cups, which, while somewhat treacherous for those of us with facial hair...

MCGONAGALL clears her throat.

DUMBLEDORE
Mm. Yes. ...

Hehehehehe.

quote:
The trio make their way down the slope.

RON
I find it astonishing that someone who prides herself on being so logical can be in such denial.

HERMIONE
Harry. Will you explain to your friend Ronald that he has absolutely no proof whatsoever that my sweet, unassuming cat ate his shabby, decidedly decrepit rat.

RON
Harry was there! He'll tell you how it was. Go on, Harry, tell her.

HARRY
No, I won't. Know why? Because I don't care about your stupid rat! I don't care about your stupid cat! I've got [a] few other things on my mind right now!

RON
Really? Wasn't you [who] had to roll under the bed last night to avoid getting cut to ribbons! A person could die being your friend, Harry!

Ron stops, wishes he could take it back. They all wish he could. Avoiding each other's eyes, they turn, continue on.

Bit different, isn't it.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."

Edited by - Starling on 07/15/2007 16:46:07
Go to Top of Page

U-No-Poo
Addled

133 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2007 :  17:44:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dobbygirl
Did anyone else catch the goat behind the barman of the Hog's Head? About 5 people (including me) giggled.

Hee! I laughed so loud in that bit. I went to the 10 o'clock show, which always has a rather quiet crowd, so I was the only one that did.
I loved the movie to bits. I was looking forwards to Micheal Goldenberg's script (he did Peter Pan) and I wasn't disappointed. There's a lot less humour in this movie, but the dialogue was much better than in earlier instalments. The movie did a great job of bringing out the characters' personalities in just a few lines. Not often do the HP movies get to be touching, and this one does it all the time, effortlessly. Nice to see Ron and Hermione as equals, for once.
Beautiful visuals, as in all the HP films. The Prophecy Room and the Voldemort/Dumbledore fight were spectacular, only I wish they had kept a bit more of the sense of history between these two characters you get in the book in this scene. Dumbledore's badassness is lacking. They kept his flight from the school, though! In fact, all my favourite scenes from the book are in this movie. Hurray for the post-kiss conversation!
Snape's Worst Memory was disappointing. It's one of those ah-well-read-the-books-if-you-want-more-details-but-at-least-it-was-kept-in scenes. I love a good flashback, and those Occlumency lessons obliged. How cool was that when they show wee Harry looking into the mirror of Erised and Snape intrudes? And of course, there's the possession, with the friendship/love montage, and it was beautiful. I wasn't bothered by Harry's last message to Voldemort. I had been warned about that, but it seemed fitting and sets up HBP nicely. Also, I've just watched the finale of Doctor Who, so I've become used to that sort of thing.
I really wanna see it again!

Edit: Yeah, urm, highlight my post for movie and Doctor Who spoilers.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - U-No-Poo on 07/15/2007 17:54:04
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2007 :  17:54:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just been to see the movie today. It was ok, although I am wondering how they will manage to finish movie 6 and 7 with full and complete stories, given all my assumptions for book 7.
I thought it was as good as 3 and 4. I didn't really like the first 2 movies.
I preferred the dementors in movie 3. Umbridge is brilliant though.
Things that I thought were important that are missing include: The locket, Regulus Black, Sirius' mirror, Kreachers betrayal of Sirius... ...
I thought the change to Cho being the sneak was good for film purposes - rescuing her reputation explaining about the Veritaserum. I thought Neville's explanation about his parents was badly done. I thought leaving out the Ron/Hermione prefect part was wise, I think Moodys lack of a wand is stupid - too "Lord of the Rings" like. Luna was good. Grawp was cool.

That's all I can think of right now - am sure I will update with more thoughts...

Edited by - gimu on 07/15/2007 17:56:36
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2007 :  20:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just saw it and loved it. They couldn't have cast Luna or Umbridge better. I had to explain some things to my niece about how the Black sisters and Sirius are related, but she wasn't too lost watching the movie. Her comment before we watched it was "Is Ron going to say 'bloody hell' in this movie because he says it all the time?"

Dobbygirl and U-No-Poo, the movie theater I was in was packed and quiet when the scene at the Hog's Head came on and I just let out with quite a loud laugh when they showed the barman and the goats. I was the only one laughing in the whole theater and I just couldn't stop! I hid my head in my niece's shoulder because I just couldn't stop. She whispered to ask me what I was laughing at and as I tried to tell her I just kept laughing more. Finally when the movie let out and we were walking to the car I explained everything and was bursting the whole time. She hasn't read the books, just watched the movies and let out with an "Ewww ...what did he do to the goat?" Which caused me to laugh harder. People in the parking lot were looking at me oddly.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/15/2007 20:06:48
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  07:12:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I squealed "Marjorie!" when I saw the goat. We did an RPG once, and our Aberforth had a goat called Marjorie. I don't think he picked that himself, someone else just invented her (and logged in as her). Since then Aberforth's goat has always been Marjorie.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  07:50:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly
Finally when the movie let out and we were walking to the car I explained everything and was bursting the whole time. She hasn't read the books, just watched the movies and let out with an "Ewww ...what did he do to the goat?" Which caused me to laugh harder. People in the parking lot were looking at me oddly.

Hubby asked why I laughed too. When I explained about it, he asked (with a chuckle), "What did he do to the goat?". Hubby has read the books, just not as many times as I have. What book is that in anyway? HP Lexicon, here I come.

I asked two other ppl I know who went and one rattled off a list of things that they should've included but didn't (and if they had the movie would've been 4 hours long) and she also said the director seemed too interested in the scenery. The other (who's only seen the movies) was disappointed in the ending. But when I pushed for specifics, he just said, "I thought it would've been longer". I think he was talking about the duel between Voldie and DD.

(edit: it's Goblet of Fire)

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - dobbygirl on 07/16/2007 07:54:00
Go to Top of Page

Wicked
Addled

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  08:14:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it, but there were a few continuity issues that bothered me. In one scene where it's the trio, and then the next scene Luna, Ginny and Neville are there with no explanation. Seemed choppy to me. Seems like this is the first movie where a scene wasn't added just for the sake of it, like Harry falling out of the flying car in CoS, or the dragon flying all over Hogwarts in GoF. I always enjoy the movies more the second time around.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  11:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw it Sunday morning and thought it was wonderful. Umbridge was absolutely perfect!! It was a tad choppy in places where the editing didn't come together smoothly, they got in all of the important bits of the story while leaving out all of the bloat from the book. The use of the newspaper clippings to advance the story worked soooooo well. Harry was actually sympathetic instead of being annoying. I loved DD's exit. I was sure they were going to cut that and I'm so glad they didn't.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Wicked
Addled

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  11:56:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About Umbridge, my nine year old son, who hasn't read any of the books, knew right away that she was bad news.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  14:45:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A friend and I are going to see it tomorrow afternoon at the IMAX. I'm so excited!

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  20:07:53  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theowyn

I saw it Sunday morning and thought it was wonderful. Umbridge was absolutely perfect!! It was a tad choppy in places where the editing didn't come together smoothly, they got in all of the important bits of the story while leaving out all of the bloat from the book. The use of the newspaper clippings to advance the story worked soooooo well. Harry was actually sympathetic instead of being annoying. I loved DD's exit. I was sure they were going to cut that and I'm so glad they didn't.

I am SO jealous of everyone who has been able to see this. It seems that life is conspiring to make it impossible to get to the theater. Theo, another commenter on her blog mentioned that if you viewed the movie as a "trailer" for a 12-hour OotP movie that you would have a better feel for what you were seeing. I'm sure the choppiness you mention added to the "trailer" feeling for her.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  20:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pesky Pixie

I was very worried for the first 20 minutes or so; this film was boring and mechanical.

Thank you SO much for warning me of this!! I went into it remembering this and kept holding on, knowing it was going to get better, and it did! Unfortunately for my dad and sister (who saw it before me) it ruined the rest of the movie for them.

Anyway, besides the first twenty minutes (which were AWFUL) it was great!! I really really loved it. It felt more like a movie to me than the first four, instead of random scenes from the book put on film. I like that they did things like the DA and decrees, etc. in montages. The DoM scenes were incredible. Grawp was great. The acting was better. Really, if I had walked into the movie half an hour late I would have almost nothing bad to say about it.

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

mistertibbs
Giddy

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  21:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It really was good. That was the first movie I didn't walk out scowling about the mess ups. I didn't think anything was really wrong with the movie except the Avada kedavra of Sirius. I thought when I saw that, BUT he may NOT be dead. (let me dream) But this movie really confirmed why I love Sirius. Luna really was fantastic. I actually was kind of rooting for her and Harry over Ginny. But I think Ginny could really prove to be just as powerful as Harry is proving to be just based upon this movie. Ginny's "reducto"
spell made me say "Wow" out loud, especially when all the prophecys and the shelves began falling. I've seen it twice now, I want to see it in Imax 3D but haven't been able to get tickets yet.

~Tibbs
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  21:25:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think Ginny's power is a forshadowing of what is to come. I could see how non-book movie goers would think of Harry/Luna, though, because we've never had any real scenes since CoS that are Harry/Ginny moments. Heck, we didn't have any in the books until OotP and not much of that anyway.

One thing that did notice that was weird was how much Bonnie Wright looks like the woman who plays Harry's mom. Did anyone else notice this? I know there have been comparisons of Lily and Ginny in the books, but it really didn't hit home until seeing the actors in the movie.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/16/2007 21:27:55
Go to Top of Page

mistertibbs
Giddy

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  17:04:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was thinking about that last night, both Harry and James must have a thing for redheads. Plus, what made me think Ginny is more powerful is the way Fred and George treat her with more respect it seems, more so than Ron, books and movies.

Has anyone heard why they didn't do anything with Neville's prophecy? He seemed to play a more vital part in the movie than previous.

~Tibbs
Go to Top of Page

Burtnnator07
Addled

72 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  22:28:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I noticed that too Jokelly. Bonnie Wright almost looks like she could be that woman in 10 years or so.

I'm Ginger from way back in the days of the Banana Boards =D
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  23:41:32  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm going to see it again tomorrow night - this time in IMAX! I hope it's good; I haven't been to Imax in years and years.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  10:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw it yesterday and LOVED IT!-- even the first twenty minutes.
The mood was set with the titles-- everything so grey and dark.

Definitely the first Harry Potter Harry Potter film.

The screenplay was well done! I've always hated that they seemed afraid to use lines directly from the books. The balance is just right. A lot of characters get only a little time, but at least they are there. Hope HBP can live up to this one.

The goat!!! A few people got it.
What I really liked were the bits where Hermione was saying how Cho couldn't keep her eyes off Harry and just before the mistletoe scene. Ginny was in the background looking a little disappointed-- like a girl realising that she won't be the one and trying to come to terms with it. Even keeping her in the background was a stroke of genius. It showed her perspective. She's always there, but not really noticed as anything but Ron's sister. HBP had better handle this intelligently.

Alan Rickman's Snape was nastastic! I still see Snape as actually trying to teach Harry something (though in the worst possible and most inflexible manner)-- the look of near desperation when he is explaining to Harry about the Dark Lord is very convincing. It was the same sort look he had in CoS when he was explaining the problems the boys had caused by taking the flying car. The worst memory was OK. Why didn't they throw a shot of young Lily defending Snape into the montage? AR is so good at showing undercurrents in his characters. We know without having read the book, that Snape understood what Harry was on about in Umbridge's office.

WooooHoooo! Go Centaurs! I loathed Umbridge in the movie as much as in the book-- perhaps more. She reminded me of my fourth grade teacher.
Grawp looked like Ron Perlman.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  12:11:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan
What I really liked were the bits where Hermione was saying how Cho couldn't keep her eyes off Harry and just before the mistletoe scene. Ginny was in the background looking a little disappointed-- like a girl realising that she won't be the one and trying to come to terms with it. Even keeping her in the background was a stroke of genius.
This was definitely one of the best bits in the film. It takes no extra screen time for Ginny to glance between Harry and Cho while their talking, yet in conveys everything. And yes, Bonnie Wright looks amazingly like Lily.

quote:
AR is so good at showing undercurrents in his characters. We know without having read the book, that Snape understood what Harry was on about in Umbridge's office.
Except for clueless Harry, of course.

quote:
Grawp looked like Ron Perlman.
Lol! He does! I knew I recognized him.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 07/18/2007 12:12:27
Go to Top of Page

JamFish
Giddy

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  15:51:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistertibbs

Has anyone heard why they didn't do anything with Neville's prophecy? He seemed to play a more vital part in the movie than previous.

MisterTibbs, I get the impression they'll clarify the prophecy in the next movie.
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  16:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a sneaking suspicion that the worst book would produce the best movie, and my suspicions were amply confirmed. This movie rocked. In the other movies, the need to trim the plot left crucial plot points unexplained and lessened the emotional impact. Here, where the task is to adapt a novel longer than the New Testament where very little actually happens, the constraints work in its favour. Rowling's bloated, muddled novel is stripped to its barest essentials, its message, moral certainty and ideals delivered with a hammer. Alan Rickman gave his best portrayal ever as Snape. The Occulmency lessons were far more powerful than the book, thanks to Rickman imparting a certain sympathy to his performance. The movie is far more emotionally affecting than the book, because Harry's and Sirius's relationship is shown with far more heart than the shrill grudgematch Rowling wrote it as. David Yates is a far more disciplined director than the other three, including Cuaron. There are a number of wonderful flourishes, such the morphing track shots from London to Hogwarts, and the 'extradimensional' newsprint, but on the whole Yates keeps his shots clean and his motion direct. The movie is no longer than it needs to be and no shorter. It gets all the necessary information and strips anything unnecessary. Imelda Staunton absolutely nailed Umbridge. She actually got her better than I imagined her while reading the book. And kudos to the unnerring instincts of Fiona Weir for casting Evanna Lynch. I have no idea what kind of career she's destined for, but she will always be Luna.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 07/20/2007 17:10:51
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  17:08:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This movie was clearlz the best in the series so far. I loved Snape, of course. Luna and Umbridge were also great and Neville was as well. Dumbledore was a bit of a dissapointment, but that was to be expected. The thestrals were exactly as I imagined them.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  13:32:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deathly Hallows proves that the filmmakers consulted JKR on the patronus issue. They got all the previously unmentioned ones right.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  01:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I finally saw it!

Only 3 weeks later than everyone else.

I.. liked it? I liked a lot of the scenes, LOVED Umbridge, Loved the DA scenes, loved the MoM, loved DD's not going quietly.

But so much schmaltz! OotP was such a dark book and this was a walk in the park with laughing friends. All of Harry's angst reduced to a single "I feel so Angry all the time" to Sirius who replies It's okay to feel bad Harry - it's what you choose to do that makes you what you are. Gosh, Sirius and Dumbledore are as one, who knew? And Sirius, with his luxurious locks and smoking jackets, looked more like a guy happy at his lordly home than someone caged up and kept away from the action he craved. Dunno - it all seemed very much more cheery to me than I expected (saving Umbridge, who was even worse than in the book and that was all to the good).

So I guess I enjoyed the movie but it had a far different tone than the book and that surprised me.

What was up with Petunia's scanty outfit? Both my spouse and I were stunned by the change in her appearance although we have an unresolved disagreement about whether she was wearing fishnets with her tennsy little sundress.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  10:51:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the costume was the tip of the hat to the books description of the summer atmosphere. It was supposed to be a very hot, dry summer as I recall. There wasn't enough time to establish that sufficiently (or it got cut out) so they set it by the clothing and ice cream.

Yeah, the fact that the movie wasn't as dark as the book is probably why I liked it. Much less of the teen angst I found so annoying. I found the movie version increased my liking of Sirius. He's never been my favourite character, but now I rather like him-- movie version, that is. I find the movies soften the characters. Snape isn't nearly as nasty in the films. Sirius isn't nearly as reckless-- much more father-like. The Shrieking Shack scene was diluted as was the treatment of Snape's Worst Memory. Unless one reads the books to fill in the gaps, there is little doubt about what is going on (Snape doesn't seem the evil type, for instance). From the film, who would guess that the afternoon after the DADA OWL is Snape's Worst Memory or that Harry was truly affected by it?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  17:14:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, well OotP was my least favorite book because it was so dark and angsty so I suppose I should be happy with the changes, it's just wierd. I totally agree on the softening of the characters - Lupin's a big wet rag in the movie, Harry's just a little conflicted, Snape's a big old meanie/softy, Dumbledore's kind of powerful but ineffective... And boy, didn't they shaft Tonks? No one would guess she and Lupin had anything in common.

I liked Sirius in the books, recklessness and all.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  12:19:39  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OotP was in the Dollar Theater here this week and we took our newly-minted 12-year-old to it for her birthday. While watching it, I thought there were a couple of places that were pretty significant given what we now know of how the series ends. Of course, then I got distracted by Alan Rickman's voice and totally forgot what they were.

I do wonder if Jo encouraged them to focus on Neville and how he began to get better at DADA or whether they just knew they needed to emphasize that since he would follow the Trio to the Department of Mysteries.

And Theo should like the fact that they totally avoided the whole Fidelius issue on Grimmauld Place! The movies won't have to change how that bit of magic works since they never talked about it. Moody just taps his cane to make the house appear.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  12:49:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The dilution of the "worst memory" and indeed all the Marauders vs Snape backstory in the movies seems to be closer to what JKR was after, too.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.