Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  16:30:30  Show Profile Send Siobhan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want details, guys. Was it good? Was it trash? Who saw it at the IMAX? How much do we see of Alan Rickman?

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  16:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're going tonight. I'll let you know what we thought!
Go to Top of Page

WriteThisDown
Giddy

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  19:22:36  Show Profile  Visit WriteThisDown's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was brilliant. For someone who thought GoF was slightly flawed, OotP is hands-down FANTASTIC. It's a solid film and I have very little to complain about. Though I will warn you, it's very trimmed down from the book. But it's well-done, trust me!!!

Perfectly good opportunities may be wasted on selfish whims, even if those whims are subconscious.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  23:19:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favorite film yet!

Random thoughts:

I was very worried for the first 20 minutes or so; this film was boring and mechanical. I wasn't drawn in emotionally until very late -- the sacking of Trelawney scene. (Emma Thompson is the best crier ever.) Then it kept getting better and better all the way to the end.

Emo-Harry was toned down a lot from the books, all for the better.

Umbridge was evil, evil, evil!

Dumbledore was ho-hum, but not as awful as in GoF.

The trio's acting skills are getting better, and the filmmakers finally are starting to develop the chemistry between Ron & Hermione. They could have been featured a little more though, they seemed to be in the background a lot.

There were tons of omissions from the book (of course), some minor story changes, and order of events was played with, but everything stayed in the spirit of the books and worked very well. It was a coherent story.

Rickman was once again spectacular as Snape. The Occlumency lessons will have Snape lovers in swoons, even more so than the dueling club. Well done!

Filch provided some very good comic relief. "I Love You" chocolates, indeed!

I. Love. Sirius. Black. Wonderful, wonderful performance by Gary Oldman. (Wouldn't Tsuki love to hear me say that?)

Grawp was almost cute!

The scenes at the Ministry were brilliant. Lovely Lucius did not disappoint. Not exactly as written in the book, but kept me on the edge of my seat. The Voldemort/Harry interaction was extremely well done. I liked how the possesion was handled. That was a tricky scene which really could have been flubbed. But you actually understand what's going on, which is quite an accomplishment.

Crooks ate an extendable ear. Blech!

If you want to see Weasley be Your King, read the book. No quidditch. Not even mentioned. No prefect Ron & Hermione either. But the movie was fine.

I know I had dozens of other thoughts as I was watching, but I can't remember them now. Can't wait to see it again Sunday, hopefully in IMAX!

Edited by - n/a on 07/11/2007 23:32:15
Go to Top of Page

Burtnnator07
Addled

72 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  23:21:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Long, Combined, SPOILERY!!, Obsessive Fan Review of OotP from Burtnnator (Ginger) and Cinnamon :

Overall the film was immensely enjoyable and an admirable adaptation of a freakin tome. The movie captures the emotional tone of OotP quite well, although a few key concepts were (over?)simplified, mainly about the prophecy and Harry's role in it. David Yates may be the best director so far, bringing out the best of the actors, however the pacing of the film felt like a sprint to the finish. The battles and special effects in general were impressive without taking away from the character/emotional/relational development of the movie.

Cinnamon would like to point out that Hermione/Ron scenes were absolutely adorable and squee worthy. We were overall fine with the dementor scene, although it was different, but Figgy was odd (not in a 'weird old cat lady' way but a 'huh?' way), and the Dursley's reaction to Dudley's near kiss was out of character. Fans may find that some of the more endearing details of the book were gone, however the feel of the book remains.

As far as details go, Harry was angry enough, but the outward show of emotion was lacking and he internalized his anger more than in the book. He comes off more lonely than mad -- ALL CAPS!Harry rarely makes an appearance. Fred and George's tendencies to randomly apparate were entertaining. Prefect letters and badges, however, were completely left out. Umbridges reign of the school happens quickly, and before the viewer really understands what's happening, Trelawney is sacked. Also, for Snape being such a pivotal role in the next movie, they did not include much of Snape's character or Harry's hatred of him. Snape's memory was a bit disappointing. Umbridge was a brilliant portrayal of 'poisonous honey' and made the viewer cringe when she was around. Luna was definitely Loony, but in a wonderful way. Her character was very entertaining and lovable, but just odd enough to make the viewer a little uncomfortable. Luna also becomes a source of comfort for Harry in a way that Hermione and Ron couldn't be. The Room of Requirement was found by Cho's confession under the influence of Veritaserum, and Umbridge & co. easily blasted away the door. Oh, yes, and Grawp was lovable... and his childish, CGI face really bothered Cinnamon. Once the group made it to the Department of Mysteries, Ginny owned all, probably to make it believable in the next movie when the beast in Harry's chest awakes. The only rooms shown were the Prophecy Room and the Death Chamber, and instead of fighting against the DE's, the students just threw stunning curses while the DE's hover like smoke next to them. Sirius gets Avada-d by Bellatrix and then falls into the veil, and Dan sufficiently portrayed the hurt and anguish of Harry but the score drops out leaving the scene silent and slightly detached. It wasn't bad, necessarily, but not what we would have done. The possessing scene was extremely well done. Dan pulled it off really well and it was sufficiently creepy and heart-wrenching at the same time. The only downside was Harry's response to the possession, saying "I pity you, you'll never know love or friendship, etc." It was a bit corny, and understood from the obvious visions Harry saw when reflecting on friendship and love. And, of course, the ending was a little too reminiscent of Columbus's era, panning on the school nestled in the mountain-side, lacking any true resolution or closure from Dumbledore. The aftermath between Dumbledore and Harry is largely left up to the viewers' imagination, and we were a little disappointed that no silvery, shiny things got smashed.

Overall, 3.5 out of 5 stars! Our analysis was detailed, but don't let that fool you -- we really enjoyed the movie and it should entertain most Potter fans. As long as you don't get caught up in what wasn't adapted from the book, we hereby label this a jolly good show!

P.S. On a slightly girlish side note, Rupert's definitely grown up quite fiiiine. We quite enjoyed him. Alan Rickman had a bit more dialogue than usual, although the glorious chapter of Snape's memory, as we said, was lacking.

I'm Ginger from way back in the days of the Banana Boards =D

Edited by - Burtnnator07 on 07/11/2007 23:24:45
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  23:27:07  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I saw it last night, and all things considered I really, really enjoyed myself. Far and away the best adaptation - they were very ruthless in paring down the story but it succeeded in telling a good yarn which (mostly) made sense.

It looked fantastic! You can tell that from the very first scene, where Harry and Dudders are running in the storm. Looks so much more like a real film, as opposed to a filming of a written story.

Dan Radcliffe has much improved, and they've wisely cut down Hermione's lines so she's less annoying too. In fact, everyone was good, with Umbridge being absolutely 100% perfect.

Only two things I didn't like: the weird powdery black and white shapes representing the battle between the DEs and the Order (too much like fancy CGI and boring to watch) and Sirius' death. It just didn't look right - how should Harry have immediately worked out what had gone on? I much prefer how it's done in the books.

But anyway - really, really good. I'm very glad Yates is sticking around for HBP.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  23:31:27  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh, and I am so, so, so glad they kept in the 'How was it?' 'Wet' conversation between th Trio. I reckon I can count on one hand the number of times they've shown the Trio as actually being friends, as opposed to Ron being glum, Hermione being irritating, nagging or eye-rolling, and Harry being troubled/angry/preoccupied/insert emotion of the day here.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  23:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myf
Sirius' death. It just didn't look right - how should Harry have immediately worked out what had gone on? I much prefer how it's done in the books.

Yeah, We talked about that on the way home. I think that's why Bella used the AK in the film, so that the viewers knew that Sirius was really dead. The veil wasn't explained at all, though. Maybe the filmmakers thought viewers would put 2+2 together: Sirius dies, disappears through whispering veil that only Harry & Luna can hear, therefore veil is the portal to death. It was not quite clear, but as good as it was going to get, I think.
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  23:56:51  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I didn't even hear Bella's AK. I love love love in the books that Harry - like us - has no freaking idea what the veil is, and at first he's all, 'Yeah, he'll pop up the other side and we'll make a cup of tea,' but then he doesn't come back, and Remus goes to him, and he yells, and there's no response, and Sirius wouldn't not respond! And THEN it sinks in. I love that bit.

But this was 'AK! floating veil! Harry loses it' bzuh?

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  12:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate you-- movie goers.
OK, so I'm just jealous. Think I'll go see if our IMAX is sold out....
Everything for today, only a couple shows Friday, nothing Saturday. Sunday is the earliest we could make, provided Daughter has someone to go to. She won't be up for this one as a cinema experience, I don't think-- DVD perhaps. I have to see it first.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  13:45:23  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Short and sweet--I loved this one. This is my favorite book, and I was very worried that they would have to leave out way too much. But they managed to get so much of it in there, and much of the dialogue was straight out of the book. You could hear the audience collectively sigh whenever that happened, or a muttered--"oh, it's just like the book".

Now, spoilers abound, so if you haven't seen the movie and don't want to know how it's different than the book, don't read the rest.

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

All the acting was great, with Umbridge and Luna being my favorite new additions. Helena was great but I hated the way she looked--too much like a stripper gone bad for my taste, but I could ignore that part--she's just not there that much, but she is great in her portrayal of Bellatrix--creepy and slightly insane.

Luna was wonderful, and they've included a bit more of her--she is obviously more of an emotional support for Harry and it worked very well, because Evanna Lynch is so awesome. JKR is right--she IS Luna.

I was sorry not to see the other rooms at the Dept of Mysteries, but honestly, they would have had to cut a bunch of other things, and that really wasn't the important part, just those wonderful extra details that make the books so rich. The battle was well done--scary and tense and confusing. I found myself being so pleased that Neville gets his "don't give it to him" line that shows how strong and determined Neville has become.

No St. Mungo's (another 20 minutes would be needed there), but we see Arthur return home and Harry learns about Neville's parents directly from Neville in a scene that I found very touching.

Grimmauld Place looks great and so does Kreacher, but I'd like to have had them spend a little more time there. But the scenes we saw were really good--the twins apparating everywhere, the kitchen with Sirius and Lupin telling Harry about the Order, and one of the best was Harry talking to Sirius.

I've become less enchanted with Sirius in re-reading the books--too rash, too hot-tempered, but Gary Oldman, who I didn't care for much in POA, was fantastic in this one. He really understands the whole relationship between Harry and Sirius and the little time they have together is great.

My only complaint about that scene was that the veil wasn't a veil--it was a misty looking something, but the effect of Sirius falling through it was quite good. As was Dan's reaction with Lupin holding him. And I liked the cut away of the sound--all the battle was still going on around them, but in that moment, none of it mattered, none of it registered anymore. And just before Bella AKd Sirius, he and Harry were fighting side by side and Sirius calls Harry "James". Nice short way to include the part of the story that Sirius sometimes thought more of Harry as his best friend than who he really was.

All the scenes with the DA were fantastic--sweet, funny, awesome as they improved--especially Neville. I think one of my favorite moments is when Harry is walking around to all the DA members, instructing them, encouraging them, and he walks by Luna who is standing there looking dreamily off into space, and he says, "Focus, Luna." and she just kind of looks around--perfect.

Alan Rickman--I could have watched much more of him (no, really?), but what they have included is really really good. The thing that was missing was the friction and hatred between Snape and Sirius, that Harry takes on as his own feud. And the worst memory scene wasn't in the Pensieve, but as part of the Occlumency lesson--it was an OK change, but needed to be a little longer because there was no Lily coming to the rescue.

However, since Yates--who did an awesome job with this most complicated of the books--is doing HBP, I'm sure he'll manage to work it in some way or other. The changes that he made were much more in keeping with the spirit of the book than the changes made by Cuaron or Newell.

No, we didn't have Harry screaming as much--kind of a relief--but we did have him being very isolated, which accomplished the same thing. And as Travis over at Sword of Gryffindor points out, Yates managed to rein in Gambon, and gave some of his more important lines to other characters. Normally I wouldn't like that, but considering that Gambon is clueless when it comes to Dumbledore, it was much better that he couldn't botch the lines.

Oh, my only other complaint was at the end when Voldemort and Dumbledore battle. Overall, it was on a grand scale, but the part where Voldemort tries to AK Dumbledore and Fawkes swoops in to gobble up the curse was not there--the imagery of good defeating evil was missing.

Yates did some interesting things to get points of the story across with showing news clippings to set the tone against Harry and Dumbledore, and with flashbacks in Harry's dreams/visions. Well done.

Anyway--I really liked this one. I was going to go see it again tomorrow while Terry is out of town, but I think I might go this afternoon instead, now that I'm thinking about it so much.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  15:10:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great review, Eeyore! It brought back the best parts of the film for me; now I really can't wait to see it again. This was definitely the best installment so far. I might even say I love it after I get used to the beginning.

Another favorite scene: After the DA group detention with Umbridge, when Fred and George are comforting Nigel (the movie Creevey) about his painful hand, then they decide to raise a bit of he** for Umbridge before they go. It was very sweet and funny. I liked seeing the twins's decency and sensitivity along with their sense of humor.
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  16:43:42  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the great reviews--I'm really looking forward to seeing Alan Rickman's scenes now.

One question, though. My dear hubby loves movies, but has not read OotP. Will he have any idea what is going on, or do I need to take dear son who loves HP?

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  16:54:40  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eeyore
However, since Yates--who did an awesome job with this most complicated of the books--is doing HBP, I'm sure he'll manage to work it in some way or other. The changes that he made were much more in keeping with the spirit of the book than the changes made by Cuaron or Newell.

No, we didn't have Harry screaming as much--kind of a relief--but we did have him being very isolated, which accomplished the same thing. And as Travis over at Sword of Gryffindor points out, Yates managed to rein in Gambon, and gave some of his more important lines to other characters. Normally I wouldn't like that, but considering that Gambon is clueless when it comes to Dumbledore, it was much better that he couldn't botch the lines.

I hadn't read much about the movie before hand because so many aspects of the previous movies were unsatisfying--went to see them, enjoyed them, just not enough to watch more than once. And Gambon was one of my main gripes. So this is really GREAT news that his absolutely horrible understanding of Dumbledore has been compensated for. Now I'm excited.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  17:49:10  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Eeyore, you've reminded me - I wonder why they left Kreacher in? Given that you don't ever get into how Sirius was lured to the Ministry, and the portrait of Srius' mum is never actually seen (just heard a bit), I wonder why leave him in? Probably fancy CGI showing off... he really looked good.

Although there were apparently a large number of cut scenes, so perhaps that's one of them. I read somewhere there had a been a scene with Harry congratulating Ron on his prefect badge, so I'm sure we'll see that on the DVD.

Sunsethill, I think he'll be OK. Has he seen the other films? On the tram home from the cinema we bumped into a friend of the Boy's who'd just been to the same screening as us. He liked it, even though he's never read any of the books. He preferred the film of GoF, though, which is strange. Although I suppose it makes sense if you've never read OotP and you don't know the importance of it in the scheme of the 7 books. Or went through the agony of waiting 3 years to read it!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  18:01:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myf

Eeyore, you've reminded me - I wonder why they left Kreacher in?

Myf, the answer is a bit of a spoiler!

*dons invisibility cloak*

Kreacher was left in based upon advice from JK Rowling. Apparently the film was was well underway, and Kreacher hadn't been included. Then JK told them that if they left Kreacher out, they'd regret it come time for the seventh film. So the two Kreacher scenes were added as a bit of an afterthought. Apparently, Kreacher will have some part to play in book seven that would be difficult to work around without him.

He was well done, though, despite being an afterthought. (Too bad we didn't see him hiding things!) I actually liked movieKreacher a lot better than movieDobby. His scowling and grumbling were perfect!

Edited by - n/a on 07/12/2007 18:02:20
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  23:24:18  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Really, Pixie? Where did you read that? It seemed more like the other way around - they kept the entire storyline IN and later edited it out. But still, very exciting!

Yes, Kreacher was well-done, but I happened to catch some of film!CoS the other night (haven't watched it for years; it's so clumsy) and was surprised at how good Dobby looked.

Go to Top of Page

Foebane
Addled

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  05:27:04  Show Profile  Visit Foebane's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They DID show Ron as a Prefect, although he didn't have a badge on (I was looking for it). After Harry's and Seamus' argument about Harry's sanity, Ron then asks anyone else if they've got a problem. Without a badge on, he simply looked confrontational and aggressive, spoiling for a fight, rather than imposing his new authority.

quote:
Yes, Kreacher was well-done, but I happened to catch some of film!CoS the other night (haven't watched it for years; it's so clumsy) and was surprised at how good Dobby looked.

You know what, Myf? After seeing the new film I went to HMV, and they were showing CoS on the screens in the DVD section, and every time I looked at it I felt BORED. It really was the dullest film ever. OotP is much more MAGICAL and EXCITING.

Edited by - Foebane on 07/13/2007 05:30:29
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  05:41:31  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree with you 100%, Foe. And I didn't even stick around to watch the rest of it - only because I remember how awful the end is. (I watched Iron Chef instead.)

Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  07:34:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I LOVED this movie! I was so afraid of all the cuts they were going to have to make because of the length. My one big beef with it is Sirius's death. After Bella cast AK and it hit Sirius, I turned to Hubby and whispered, "That's not right." When the movie ended, he asked me what wasn't right and I told him exactly what was different. I think he really thinks I've read the books too much. Oh and did anyone else notice that they were using the Levicorpus spell, even though it doesn't officially appear until HBP?

Did anyone else catch the goat behind the barman of the Hog's Head? About 5 people (including me) giggled. I'm more convinced than ever that the barman of the Hog's head is Aberforth. Luna was really good. Umbridge was fantastic! She exceeded all my expectations (and they were pretty high).

I didn't think it was possible to make a house-elf uglier than Dobby. Yuck....he's positively ghastly.

Two characters I would've liked more of: Tonks and Lucius . They never did explain why Tonks could change her face like the showed (or did they and I just missed it?). And Lucius...well, I could just look at him forever.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  13:29:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myf

Really, Pixie? Where did you read that? It seemed more like the other way around - they kept the entire storyline IN and later edited it out. But still, very exciting!

Now you say that, I'm not sure at what point Kreacher had been cut out, or whether any CGI had been done on him yet or not. *dons invisibility cloak* But it was definitely Jo who told them it was better to leave him in because he would be necessary later on. Here's a link to the article:

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2007/06/25/kreacher-comforts-mtv-solves-a-harry-potter-mystery/#more-369

*doffs the cloak*

Hope that helps!

Hmmmm, evidently the spoiler tag doesn't work for hyperlinks. Anyway, the link is a little spoilery. Click at your own risk!

Edited by - n/a on 07/13/2007 13:30:37
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  13:45:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the first picture I've seen of Kreatcher! He's great! Wish they'd included Winky in GoF. I seem to have a thing for house elves.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  12:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't stand Winky!

Since Neville keep doing the stuff Dobby does in the books, I hope he doesn't fall in love with Winky.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  13:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heehee! But If Dobby couldn't be in the film, I really liked that Neville (spoiler)found the Room of Requirement for the DA to meet in. Nobody needed the DA more than Neville, and it could be argued that he benefitted the most of everyone from it. It was appropriate that he discovered the room. That's a good example of making a necessary change for the film, but still staying in the spirit of the books.
Go to Top of Page

Foebane
Addled

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  14:58:10  Show Profile  Visit Foebane's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OotP is actually BETTER after a second viewing, believe it or not.

For the shortest Potter film, it certainly feels like a long one, and there's so much packed into it, compared with the others.

Two things though: I thought it was NINE Grimmauld Place, not 11 (as shown)? And why didn't Umbridge confess that SHE sent the Dementors that summer?
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  17:21:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leetle spoiler:
Trust Ron to wonder "so if you need the toilet ..."

I thought the film was too short, the scene followed each other too rapidly, I had trouble really getting into it. And it's number TWELVE Grimmauld Place.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  17:22:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Addendum: I think they showed number 11 to show you can't see Grimmauld Place (if you know what I mean). But that would still be wrong, since most British roads count 1, 3, 5, 7, etc. on one side and 2, 4, 6, 8, etc on the other.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  17:32:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay, even Foe likes it! You know one of the things I liked best about this move? The director didn't try to superimpose himself over the story. With the others, what you ended up seeing was a Christopher Columbus film, or an Alfonso Cuaron film, or a Mike Newell film. This one is a Harry Potter film. Bravo for that!

Edited by - n/a on 07/14/2007 17:34:19
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  18:34:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been reading tons of reviews (I subscribe to way too many magazines) and only Newsweek didn't give it high marks. They said it was dull, boring and lulled in too many spots. They did like the fight in the Ministry. Pfft, what do they know.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Foebane
Addled

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  21:08:03  Show Profile  Visit Foebane's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pesky Pixie is RIGHT! I watched this, and it actually felt like the FIRST PROPER HP FILM EVER MADE!!!

I don't know why, but it was the way the director managed to fill the movie with so many uniquely HP moments that sold it to me. The various spells, the relationships with the characters, everything.

I can't really describe it all, but this movie felt JUST RIGHT!

I also liked the way the director played with certain established JKR themes that are taken for granted, most of all the way Crookshanks plays with an extendable ear and severs it, even over his owner, Hermione - Wonderful!

I also liked the sheer amount of MAGIC in this film, especially with the DA scenes, and when Umbridge blows the wall to the RoR to pieces. Not to mention the battles between DA and the DE's, when the Prophecy Room comes tumbling down.

The interplay between Voldy and Dumbledore was also quite cool - their spells matching each other and causing the glass and marble panes around them to shatter - I think this is what Potter fans have been waiting for since the start, honestly.

In all, I think this is the best Potter yet, and I'd be surprised if anyone else beat it.
Go to Top of Page

Burtnnator07
Addled

72 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  22:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder how much of a part the screenwriter's script has to do with the quality of the HP films. This is the first one not adapted by Steve Kloves; the screenwriter was technically Michael Goldenberg but I think I read that David Yates helped quite a bit.

So, that being said, I hope that David Yates builds off this film, and his momentum won't be affected by Klove's bias . I've personally never been a fan of his scripts due to the copious amounts of cheese and Hermione.

I'm Ginger from way back in the days of the Banana Boards =D
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.