Cambell and the Hero's Path
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  11:14:41  Show Profile Send Siobhan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, so I haven't actually read the book, but I saw the TV show following it through Star Wars. I've been re-reading HBP as well. Can't get the idea out of my head that the parallels could be a clue to the end of Potter.

We have the character setup.
The hero = Harry = Luke Skywalker
The mentor = Dumbledore = Obi Wan Kenobi
The friends = Ron, Hermione, Hagrid = Han, Leia, Chewbacca
The evil = Tom Riddle aka. Lord Voldemort = Senator, Chancellor,
Emperor Palpatine aka. Darth Sidious
The handmaiden of evil = Snape = Darth Vader

We have the story setup.
Orphaned hero who goes out on adventure with his
mentor. Finds out about the world he lives in. Discovers great
evil in said world. This evil is responsible for his orphan
status. Has many dangerous adventures, in one of which he is
left to carry on on his own by the death of the mentor. Bears
major grudge against handmaiden of evil for the death of the
mentor. Discovers a personal link to the handmaiden of evil.

That's as far as we've got in the story Potter-wise. Obviously the two stories are similar, but different. What I wonder is, how much we can deduce will happen from our knowledge of this kind of story arc. Typically, the hero has to complete a mission, then face the handmaiden of evil, and his boss.
In Star Wars we have the redemption angle of Luke trying to save his father and then the father fulfilling the prophecy regarding his returning the balance of the force by killing the boss. Do we feel the same toward Darth Vader as we do Snape? Keep in mind I'm thinking of the 4th through 6th movie, before all the background on Anakin was known. Do we feel that Darth Vader steals the show (or does Luke's job) by killing Darth Sidious?
Now it is true that the story is not called "Luke Skywalker and the Sith Pit". The task Luke sets himself is to save his father and remain on the light side of the Force. While Harry's task is to take out Voldemort. It seems to me that Harry will have to give up his hate of Snape to be complete enough to dispose of Voldemort.

I am such a geek.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  20:01:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Truthfully, I think it's exactly the same story, minus "Harry, I am your father!" Though "Harry, I loved your mother!" is pretty darn close!

Luke was never just out to save his dad. He was out to save the world too, just like Harry.

Also, if we consider Star Wars 1-3 I think the handmaiden of evil link becomes even stronger.

Anakin had a hard youth. He had no father and lost his mother. Yet he grew up to be an incredibly talented and powerful young Jedi who felt alienated from his peers and resentful of not being recognized for his talent and achievements. Chafing at being held back he was easy prey for Palpatine/Sidious who offered him the recognition he craved. He fell in love, but that love was doomed by his own tumultuous emotions tearing him apart between the Light and Dark sides. At last, feeling betrayed by the Light side, he gave himself to the Dark.

I would be willing to bet money that once Severus's whole story is told, it will follow very much this same path.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  22:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to how Jo works it all out. I'm also dreading it. That's really how I feel about the whole book.

Maybe we could have Harry use a sectumsempra toward Snape that he deflects and it hits Voldemort instead? Naw. Oh well it beats Snape tossing Voldemort into a bottomless pit or reactor core.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  23:26:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*Piano falling from above*

*Voldemort Squished*

*Everybody cheers*

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  05:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The book to read on this is "The Hero With a Thousand Faces", which, shamefully, I have not yet read.

But there are a number of motifs I remember him talking about in "The Power of Myth", which was the closest thing I had to a religious text growing up.

The Trash compactor scene in Star Wars is described in terms of the descent into the underworld. Harry's descent occurs in the Department of Mysteries.

Like Luke, and Frodo, and indeed every Greek hero, Harry is given a weapon of mystical temper (his wand) by an older man who acts as a mentor.

One of the themes that Campbell draws upon, which was very present in Tolkien and to a lesser extent Lewis, is that evil is self-destructive. Darth Vader is mostly machine, his face and body destroyed by his own hate. The Ringwraiths have become hollow shells, purged of thier own humanity by the evil that has possessed them. Lewis's White Witch gains immortality at the expense of of her own happiness and love. Voldemort is another perfect example of the same phenomenon.

I always wondered if that was true or just wishful thinking.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 07/10/2007 05:39:37
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  11:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think a good working-definition of Evil is "inhuman" - think your average psychopathic serial killer. These people literally do not experience human emotion and a human conscience the way the rest of his do. Fiction simply uses various plot devices to manifest this.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.