First review of Order of the Phoenix
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  14:04:21  Show Profile Send Siobhan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Leaky has posted the first review of Order of the Phoenix (based upon the Japanese premier):
http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/2007/6/28/first-newspaper-review-of-order-of-the-phoenix-film

Really, it seems a case of a movie reviewer being ignorant of the source material for the screen adaptation.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  18:29:50  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I disagree, Siobhan! I think it's quite clear the reviewers has read OotP - his remarks about the transitional role of OotP is pretty fair, I think, 'much is explained, much is left hanging'. And it is probably going to be an odd-one-out film, just like OotP is a bit of an odd-one-out book in the series. (I still like it though -juicy. I don't need constant action set-pieces).

For those who want to go straight to the review without detouring past TLC, here it is: http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/film_reviews/article2000948.ece

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  22:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it is just that they seemed so surprised that the movie was cruel and dark-- so is the book. There's not really that much "lighthearted" going on in the story at that point. If they'd tried to do the "magical world" stuff, it would have been untrue to the story as well as been out of place. True, OotP is not my favourite book (I was quite frustrated with all the angst, but all the yelling "TALK TO EACH OTHER" didn't work terribly well), but to make a movie that didn't follow the book would have been worse.

As a movie, I'm sure it will be something of a let down if set apart from the series. The story is part of a continuing series, there's no getting around that. I don't know that the book would stand alone, either, without the previous and subsequent story to go with it-- its more like a bridge. To look at the movie and judge it as something different seems wrong, to me.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  23:08:51  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh, I agree with his review that it's a crueller film, but I don't think that was a criticism, more a recognition of the reality of the source material. I don't think the reviewer wanted OotP to be more lighthearted or anything. Maybe I need to re-read the review, because it seems that we're all on the same page - OotP is dark, depressing, kind of cruel, annoying at times, but it's got to be connveyed that way because otherwise you're missing the point of it.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  23:14:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a special viewing of the movie in Pittsburgh tonight. They had fan reactions after the movie and everyone coming out loved it. Most of the people looked around age 20 and practically everyone was in costume. Of course, everyone that was there for a special viewing would have loved it anyway.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 06/28/2007 23:15:11
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  16:09:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I was quite frustrated with all the angst, but all the yelling "TALK TO EACH OTHER" didn't work terribly well

I invented the "capslock Harry" tag for the Lexicon Portkey.

I'm not very hopeful about the film. The trailer already shows that some of the acting is cringeworthy. And I trust the critics where HP is concerned, they've been pretty accurate for most of the films. And I mean the real critics, not the ones working for the Sun.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  16:50:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know - even if it sucks, we'll have Imelda Staunton as Umbridge. I'd pay money just to see her scenes. I don't think I'll even notice if the film is bad - I'm one of those.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  17:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't bother with GoF, and really not bothered about this one either. Although... Imelda Staunton as Umbridge should be pretty amazing. I take it it's coming out soon then? I probably won't go if it's out while I'm in the States. I'm a bad fan.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!

Edited by - Bee on 06/29/2007 17:34:05
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  18:14:04  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree that some of the acting looks tragic. Did I tell you how much PoA (at least) can be much improved by saying 'Shut up, Hermione' every time Emma Watson opens her mouth? (The Boy and I are going to try it on GoF before OotP comes out).

That said, I'll definitely see it. I watched some of those clips yesterday, and Imelda looks absolutely perfect. And SOUNDS perfect, 'hem hem's included. I just wish Harry in particular, and the trio in general, would be better actors. I notice that Harry can't quite get all his words out. 'If Dumbledore's rangblargh an army then I want to fight!'

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  20:41:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myf

Did I tell you how much PoA (at least) can be much improved by saying 'Shut up, Hermione' every time Emma Watson opens her mouth?
That sounds like a drinking game, Myf! Wahoooo!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  21:08:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should we break out the hard stuff? I think there's some firewhiskey hanging around somewhere.

Edited by - Jokelly on 06/29/2007 21:10:06
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  22:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So everytime we want to tell Hermione to shut up we take a drink, right? This will be a short night out!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  03:26:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just figure that no matter how bad the movie is it's got to be better than the book because it's not as long. Everyone was just so stupid in that book. Not a chapter went by that I didn't want to slap someone. Also, plot holes aren't nearly as noticable when there are cool special effects to distract attention from them.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 06/30/2007 03:28:09
Go to Top of Page

Burtnnator07
Addled

72 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  10:33:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone else find Michael Gambon's Dumbledore to be supremely annoying? He just seems so intense ALL the time. Can we add him to the "Shut up _____" list?

I'm Ginger from way back in the days of the Banana Boards =D
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  12:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh please! I'd much rather say "Shut UP Gambon!". His Dumbledore makes me crazy. Add to it that DD is an uncommunicative idiot throughout OotP and it's bound to be difficult watching his scenes in the movie. But wait - maybe DD's communication problems in OotP means Gambon won't get much screen time. That would be good.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  12:24:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*stumbles in with a raging headache after watching all the movies with some firewhiskey*

I never liked Richard Harris's Dumbledore. He didn't have that sparkle to his eye that book Dumbledore has.

We're very critical of the movies. I just wish Ron would get some of his book lines back and quit being written as such a scared idiot in the movies. The scripts suffer from too much Hermione-love and Ron-dislike.

Edited by - Jokelly on 06/30/2007 12:25:00
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  12:58:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget Molly ... I love Julie Walters, but Molly's going to be soooo annoying in OotP!

Wow, we're all going to be snockered by the time this movie's over.

Edited by - n/a on 06/30/2007 12:59:52
Go to Top of Page

Wicked
Addled

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  19:15:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's another review:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/film/reviews/article_display.jsp?rid=9447

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  21:34:31  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You can say 'Shut up!' to any character in the films. Maybe CAPSLOCK Harry will need it in this one.

I didn't like Richard Harris at all in the first films. Gambon is a bit too intense and scary sometimes, and I hate hate HATE his gross fingernails, but I'd prefer him to Harris. Ideally, someone completely other would play him in the perfect film. But such is life.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  21:39:21  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hmm. Not a very positive review, that second one, but I see what they're getting at. The writer's right, though - it won't keep the crowds away from the cinema at all.

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  23:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myf

Hmm. Not a very positive review, that second one, but I see what they're getting at. The writer's right, though - it won't keep the crowds away from the cinema at all.
What I find fascinating about the second review is that, in large part, it could have been written about the book which suffers from all the same ills.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  19:26:33  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Here's a new review, from the advance screening here in Melbourne. Interesting twist!~

Harry McCleod, 7: "It was pretty good, and pretty scary when Voldemort shattered all the glass. My favourite part was when Dumbledore killed Voldemort."

I don't remember that in the book!

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  19:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*snorts* Well, it was a pretty long book.

Go to Top of Page

JamFish
Giddy

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  09:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't like all this hate I'm hearing for this, the best Potter film of the lot by a massive margin.

I've decided, in fact, that the HP series is better as films than as books, because I hate holding up heavy books and constantly re-reading passages. I'd rather see it all up on screen with wonderful decent actors, child and adult alike, and impressive sets. Sod imagination, and most definitely, sod Peeves, what I consider the most childish aspect of the book series. I think Rik Mayall would've tainted the movies.

Rant over.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.