Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  13:53:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's freezing, cloudy, and I'm incapacitated after kissing a table with my ribs.

Still, what can't be cured etc.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  20:52:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope you get better diri!

Another gorgeous day here, but another day locked in the library (actually yesterday I went outside to study for a while, but I got a sunburn and came back in). A lot of people are done exams already and the street I live on was full of U-Hauls and minivans for people going home. It's sort of sad.

Facebook has this new thing where they show you people you might know based on your mutual friends, and one of the people that they suggested I might know has the last name "Peebles"

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  18:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm very jealous of this Peebles person for having such a fabulous surname.

... It's not Till is it?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Wildchild
Giddy

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  12:03:17  Show Profile  Visit Wildchild's Homepage  Send Wildchild an AOL message  Send Wildchild a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
*pokes*

It's a fabulous day! Sunny, 71 degrees, not too breezy and best of all, I only have one more class left for the year! Hooray! :)

"I'm Switzerland."
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  21:48:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds spiffing, Wildchild! We are having nice, Springy weather. I wish my luck were as nice. Friday night (or Saturday morning, depending how you look at it), we discovered that our waterbed was leaking. So after some emergency clean up, we pulled out the aerobed and slept-- badly-- in the living room.
Mad-Eye woke up with a migrane and my allergies were going crazy. Saturday was as busy as usual with bed shopping added in. We decided on a Sleep Number Bed (at least if it ever leaks its only air). So, it has to be delivered. We expected that. What we didn't expect was that it would be 2 weeks before the bed could be here. They called today to say it would be the 2nd of May before they could deliver.

Another full week camping out in the living room!!!! ACK!!!!!

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  13:54:00  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry you have to wait so long, Siobhan. Let us know how you two end up liking the bed. I keep thinking I'm getting older and we need to start thinking about something that is better on old bones.

But the weather is glorious today where I am. However, tomorrow they are predicting rain for the first time in about a week--which would be wonderful, but we have a huge group garage sale planned. Maybe it will hold off until after 2:00 p.m.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  21:56:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm doooooonnne!! And I'm home. I spent the weekend in Toronto with a friend so I got home Sunday night. I start work tomorrow (ish). I don't really start until Monday but they want me to sit in on a meeting about their website because I've been told one of my first projects will be to work on updating the website. I'm sort of nervous. During my interview they asked me if I knew HTML, and I said that I'd learned a little bit of it when I was in high school. I tried to stress that it was five years ago and that it was basic, but I guess they took that to mean that I could be trusted with their website.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  08:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats, Cour! Hope you have a great summer! HTML isn't that bad once you get the hang of it, and updating is much easier than building. You'll do fine!
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  11:11:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats, Cour! Are you finished college for good, or just for the summer? What kind of work will you be doing (apart from website updating )?

I am so fed up of my masters thesis. I feeling like throwing it out the window or burning it or something. I just want to be done with it. Arrrgh!! I hate research so much. I'm trying to get an initial draft to my supervisor before 5pm, but I've less than an hour left and it's not going to happen. I've ran out of steam. Pah.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  15:30:51  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee
I am so fed up of my masters thesis. I feeling like throwing it out the window or burning it or something. I just want to be done with it. Arrrgh!! I hate research so much. I'm trying to get an initial draft to my supervisor before 5pm, but I've less than an hour left and it's not going to happen. I've ran out of steam. Pah.

Everyone always gets sick of their theses or dissertations, Bee. I remember my doctoral advisor telling me when I was obsessing over what I wanted to research to just pick SOMETHING because I would hate it by the time I was done. I also had a journalism background so I had learned to write succinctly. He was really worried my dissertation would come in under 100 page and he said that just wouldn't do! I had to pad it out and look like I had done a LOT of work. I think I came in at 106 pages and was so sick of it I never even paid to have it bound. It's up in the attic somewhere and the kids can throw it away when I die.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  21:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's your thesis on, Bee? I'm dreading the day I have to write mine. Thankfully, that's still about four years away, and that's only if I go to grad school the year after I finish my undergrad (which is in two years).

My meeting yesterday eased a lot of my fears about my job. I don't have to do any html stuff at all. They've hired a company to do all of the technical stuff. All of my responsibilities are to do with the site's content.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  08:14:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm only doing a taught masters so it's nothing too high-falutin (I don't EVER plan on doing a research degree!) - it's just a study of assessment practices of speech and language therapists working in disability services. Big yawn. I had to do a research project for my undergraduate as well, and I think that one was actually better than this one, which is not the way these things are supposed to go. Not that I can compare them side by side, because I've lost my undergrad one - obviously it meant a lot to me!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  08:18:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You wait til you've read my dissertation. It's on a tax list. Somehow I managed to write a 10,000-word essay on a tax list. As in a list of names. With numbers after them. And they were all called John. Well most of them anyway.

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  12:31:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What were you studying diri?

My province is flooded. People are kayaking along streets in the capital (which is along the longest river on the Eastern seaboard) and the water is making its way South. I don't live along the river but I live close enough that all waterways where I live have flooded. The field behind my house is now a lake. I think they said that by tomorrow the water is expected to be about a metre and a half above flood levels. It shouldn't be too bad here though. We may have to stop drinking our tap water but the water shouldn't come anywhere near our house.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  12:56:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. Hope you don't have to take on any refugees. Still, in a weird sort of way, sounds kinda fun. As long as you don't lose everything you own or anything...

It's the warmest, sunniest day I've seen in London since, oh I dunno, August, and I can't enjoy it. The reason? London just elected a new mayor. I don't have time to go into how ludicrous his victory is but suffice to say he makes George W. Bush look like Franklin D. Roosevelt. His evil quotes could fill a book. He once said Africa would have been better off if it had stayed under British rule, that South Africa was facing the "tyranny of the black majority", and that Islamophobia is the reaction the Koran intends to provoke.

So you can imagine I'm a bit down.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 05/03/2008 12:56:55
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  13:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess it just goes to show that we're not the only insane group on the planet. Still, it is nice to have company.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  14:18:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My city elected a new mayor this week too. He doesn't sound as bad as London's new mayor, but so far I don't like him. He has been very open about how anti-business he is, going so far as saying that "judgement day" has come for one of the largest privately-owned companies in Canada, which is headquartered in my city. The problem is that the city is poised to experience a lot of economic growth in the next few years, nearly all of which depends on private investment. With such an anti-business mayor those investments may not happen.

I'm at work. I shouldn't be here (hpg, not work). Ooooh well. I'm the ONLY person here. And it's Friday afternoon. Friday afternoon before the first long weekend of the summer. I'm just sitting here. Alone. With no one to give me any work and no one to tell me I can go home. Bah.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  15:18:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm stressed. My boss has been on vacation since Thursday and I was asked to make a decision on Friday that I didn't have the authority to make one way or the other. So now I have to spend the rest of the time my boss is away worrying about whether or not I made the right decision. I change my own mind about it every few hours or so. Gah!

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - Cour_Delafleur on 06/02/2008 15:18:45
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  19:35:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just reading through the posts and I thought I'd mention, Bee, that we just got a Peebles store. They're all over the south, but this is the first I've seen north of the Mason-Dixon line. I haven't gone yet, but I plan to soon.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  21:46:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have Peebles way up in Ohio! There's one about eight miles from my house, but I've never been inside. I keep thinking I should take a picture and post it here.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  21:41:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pesky, is it new? Usually Western PA has a lot of the same types of store that Ohio has, especially Eastern Ohio. One thing PA doesn't have is an IHOP. The closest one to me is in Columbus, OH.

I'm tired. Most people in Pittsburgh are tired today after last night's triple overtime win at 1:30 a.m. in Hockey against Detroit in the Stanley Cup finals. Everyone has hockey fever. I had to finally quit watching and take a bath during double overtime around midnight, but then by the time I was done it was into triple and I got to watch the rest. It's biting fingernails watching it because we're down 3-2 and not picked to win. It's gonna seem weird without hockey on. Next game is Thursday, I think.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  22:47:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We lost :(. A few seconds left in the game and we thought it went in and it didn't and the Red Wings won it. Blah. Pens made a huge mistake and thought a puck was safe and the goaly sat on it and pushed it in. If he hadn't it would have been tied up and gone into overtime. But we lost. There's always next year.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  13:24:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

Just reading through the posts and I thought I'd mention, Bee, that we just got a Peebles store. They're all over the south, but this is the first I've seen north of the Mason-Dixon line. I haven't gone yet, but I plan to soon.

Ooh exciting! We have no nifty shop names over here.

Still unemployed. Tra la la. Trying to make the most of it by fitting in some training days, voluntary bits n bobs and other CV fillers. Still, would rather like a job, please.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  14:00:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

We lost :(. A few seconds left in the game and we thought it went in and it didn't and the Red Wings won it. Blah. Pens made a huge mistake and thought a puck was safe and the goaly sat on it and pushed it in. If he hadn't it would have been tied up and gone into overtime. But we lost. There's always next year.

I didn't know he sat on it. I was cheering for the Pens (I'll admit it, I'm a Crosby fan). You can't really blame Fleury though, considering that if he hadn't had such an outstanding fifth game there wouldn't have been a sixth game at all.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  20:03:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There were some news stories about how a lot of Canadians were supporting the Pens in playoffs since their own teams didn't make it.

True, Fleury's fantastic. He's getting more attention than Sidney lately. Fleury has the best selling local sports t-shirt right now. It's cutely titled "The Fast and the Fleuryous". It's hard to believe that last year he had to fight for his slot on the starting line-up. The angle was weird how the puck got pushed in, but it was an unfortunate mistake. I guess it's payback for the Redwings own player scoring us a goal in Game 4 or 5. Sid and the rest of the gang are going to be unstoppable in the future if the Pens can keep this young roster together. Everyone says Crosby is better than Mario Lemieux was at that age. The national media said we weren't even going to get through the first round of playoffs because of their inexperience. Most of the starters are under 21. Now if only our Pirates, the Chudley Cannons of Major League Baseball, can win a game.

Bee, I might go to Peebles this weekend. I'll be thinking of you whilst I'm there.

Edited by - Jokelly on 06/05/2008 20:05:07
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.