Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  19:22:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a pretty crappy day to be honest. It started out great because I didn't have to be at work until 10, so I got to sleep in for two hours (I usually get a ride in with my dad who has to be there at 8 so I get breakfast and kill time until 9, when I usually start). And then I got there and everybody was in a bad mood. There's a cruise ship in tomorrow and we were setting up for it (we have to take everything back up to the main store with us every time because the booth is set up in a giant event tent with very little security) and it usually only takes us about two hours. It took us five. We had everything set up in about half an hour but then our boss would make us change everything and then go away and come back and make us change it back, etc. etc.

I've decided to return to Queen's. I realized I was thinking of transferring for all the wrong reasons. I chose Commerce because I didn't know what I wanted to do. I still don't know what I want to do, and arts gives me a broader base of things I might be interested in. I was always good at History, English, and Human Geography so I think it might be the best fit. Plus one thing I am considering as a potential career is a lawyer and that's definitely possible with an arts degree, with the right major.

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Emmmma
Barmy

293 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  23:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i feel tempted to say ''you'll do fine'' but it would be so patronizing. it's exciting to be choosing majors and all that. makes me want to go back to school.

this week i'm testing a theory - if you have a really bad day, will you also have a really fantastic day in the same week [q]
i already had my really really bad day yesterday, and a plain bad day today. so i'm kind of in a waiting mode.

Formerly Garside! ;-)
Go to Top of Page

WriteThisDown
Giddy

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  07:28:33  Show Profile  Visit WriteThisDown's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love when that happens, Bee. It's like shopping for freeeee! :)

Perfectly good opportunities may be wasted on selfish whims, even if those whims are subconscious.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  16:53:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you've really thought this through Cour, so I'm sure your decision is the right one for you. I don't know about Canada, but over here there are lots of opportunities for postgraduate study in commerce. It may be another option for the future. An arts degree provides a great grounding in learning, research and critical thinking skills - very useful for further study in areas such as law or commerce.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  20:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today was the busiest day I've had in the three years I've been working for the company. It was ten hours of non-stop running around.

Tonight was the "kick-off" of graduation/reunion weekend. It's my sister's graduation and my one-year reunion (yes, we have a one-year reunion. The recent grads showed up every year anyway so they just made it official. I'm even a coordinator this year). Tonight was the Athletic Banquet and my sister got MVP for Varsity Volleybal and Varsity Rowing, which is pretty awesome for her.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2007 :  11:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

See Tea Shop.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  03:03:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had my gastroscopy yesterday. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. They gave me a sedative , so I didn't really notice what was going on around me. The only problem is, that the doctor said he couldn't find anything abnormal. Which means that I still don't know why I have been sick for about 7 weeks now. I have had stomach cramps and felt nauseous almost every day. Sometimes all of a sudden I might feel better for 2 or 3 days, but then everything starts over again. I have no idea what could be wrong.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  16:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Unicorn - well at least you know its ruled out quite a few things. You know I went through exactly the same thing and I just got better after about 10 weeks - when I first moved to Germany. I did think at the time that it was what I was eating - i.e. too much bread, so I cut that out and stuck to stuff like rice krispies for breakfast, potato/rice dishes and no funny sauces. But I really don't know if that was what "cured me". I hope you get better soon though!
I had a nap in the afternoon today - how bad is that - such a lazy day!
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  18:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I've had a great weekend. It was my sister's graduation and all the events that surrounded it, and my reunion. The weather cooperated which was great because it meant the graduation could be outside. My reunion was good. A lot of people showed up that I haven't seen in a year, and a lot of people didn't show up that I thought would. Still it was a lot of fun. There was a dinner at my old school last night and a few of the teachers came by after the graduation dinner. It's a weird thing, getting drunk with your former French teacher (who is only 25). There were also some cougars there for their 20 year reunion who were hitting on the guys from my class, which was really hilarious until one of their husbands confronted some of them. That just made it even funnier.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  02:45:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Gimu! Today I feel much better. I bought Lactose free milk, yesterday. Maybe that 'll help.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  11:44:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unicorn, my sister's neice went through a few months of doctoring with her stomach last summer. The doctors thought it was everything from an ulcer to appendicitis. Turns out she was lactose intolerant. Ask to be tested for lactose intolerance. They can do a breath test and I see a lot of doctors don't even think about it. My sister's neice finally found out on her own by eliminating foods. I think I found the same way, but it's been about 12 years since I noticed I had it so I can't remember. I'm lactose intolerant and can tell the difference between gas and a reaction to dairy. It's a totally different feeling because the gas and bloating occur in the intestines instead of the stomach. It's also why no gastric medicine will help because they work on the stomach. If you are, watch out for foods with hidden lactose like some lunch meats and processed foods. I now am pretty good at evaluating what I can and can't eat. I used to take pills for it, but it was very expensive and a chore, so now I just avoid certain foods. I have found that I can tolerate yogurt, which I don't like. It's the only dairy product I don't like and the only one I can really eat.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 06/20/2007 11:50:03
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  12:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jo, I'll ask my doctor for such a test. In Germany it is no problem to buy lactose free dairy products. Nearly every supermarket has them. You can buy lactose free milk, butter, yogurt, pudding, cream, cheese etc...

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  15:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lucky you. I've only seen lactose free milk and ice cream and that's sometimes hard to find. I have one particular brand I like because everything else tastes like you're drinking chalk. That's the only food problem I have. I don't even have any known allergies.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  12:18:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was amazed to find that in France, lactose free milk is sold as a matter of course. It's no more expensive than normal milk, and they sell it in huge quantities, not on a little shelf somewhere.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  23:38:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know we have lactose free milk here because it's all my grandparents use. They thought my sister was lactose intolerant so she stopped eating dairy for about a year, but the problem didn't go away and they found out it was something else.
A guy in my sister's class was recently diagnosed with Crohn's disease and spent the majority of his last term of high school in a hospital. He couldn't make it to graduation (which is a huge deal at that school) so the girl who was supposed to go to prom with him, who graduated with me, spent the whole day with a video camera glued to her hand so he could watch the whole thing later.

My day was looong. Last night I set two alarms because I knew I had to get up early this morning... and then didn't turn either of them on, so I woke up half an hour later than I wanted to, then rushed to work where I spent eleven hours straight on my feet. I sat down for ten minutes during the whole day. Oh the joys of working retail. I'm so frustrated. I'm *this* close to quitting. The only thing really stopping me is that the owner of the company is a friend of the family, which makes it a little harder because I see her pretty often outside of work. But they keep screwing up my salary and my hours and it's driving me crazy because I need money. I turned down a job that would guarantee me 40 hours a week and a salary $2/hr higher than what I'm making now ($2 is a big deal relative to what I'm currently making) because they made all these promises to get me back, and not only have they not kept them, they've gone in opposite direction of most of them.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - Cour_Delafleur on 06/23/2007 23:40:47
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  16:43:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they haven't upheld their end of the bargain, just quit anyway. It won't be your fault if your company's owner holds it against you and your family
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  20:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meh... it's getting better. The company owns a bunch of stores and I mostly work for just one of them, but I was talking to the supervisor of one of the other stores and she's put me on the schedule a few days a week so I'm getting tons of time. And, really, I haven't brought up the wage issue with the right people yet. I brought it up with someone who said they'd mention it to the right person, but obviously didn't so I have to go to them directly. So it's getting better. I think they were starting to realize how unhappy I was.

In other news, I have fallen in love. Unfortunately, he only exists on TV.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  11:42:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who, Cour?

Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  10:30:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim from "The Office" . It's not the actor, it's the character. I just finished watching the second season.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2007 :  21:39:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kid: Do you live here?
Me: Yes
Kid: Well I don't
Me: Oh.
Kid: I'm from New York. SO DON'T MESS WITH ME!!

I had to hind behind the booth because I was laughing so hard.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  12:25:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My day was not so good. I've got a headache and it is way too hot here at the moment. I do not like hot weather at all.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  17:00:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it hot in Germany? Its miserable here in Ireland - we haven't had a summer at all - April was really really nice, then after that it was a day here and a day there of sunny weather. Perhaps there will be a thunderstorm - I quite often get headaches before storms - pressure I suppose. or pressure changes - not sure which...
I was in a bad mood at work today - people just kept annoying me - all I like to do is listen to a bit of classical music and get on with my work, but that wasn't to be today...
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  10:17:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday we had 36C (about 97 F) and the day before it was 34C (about 93F). Today it's "only" 30C (86F), but that's still to hot for me.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  12:31:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gimu, storms bring on migraine headaches for me. This summer has been hard on me. We've not had much rain at all, but a ton of weather fronts. Changes in air pressure is one of my biggest triggers...whether its getting in an out of air conditioning, weather changes, or changes in altitude. When I go to the mountains I know automatically to take sometime or I'll have a headache soon. Certain smells bother me, too, but air is my biggest trigger.

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/17/2007 12:34:48
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  19:35:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I've been gym a lot for the past few weeks, doing a lot of cardio. Today I decided to venture into the weights section and did hip abductions and adductions (lifting 150 pounds by pushing your knees out or together). I felt fine until I stood up. I'm pretty sure I was walking like a duck.

And that really doesn't have anything to do with anything but that was probably the most interesting thing that happened to me today.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

ImSirius
Giddy

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  00:20:22  Show Profile  Send ImSirius an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I babysat a 2 year old and a 4 year old. We watched old Felix the Cat episodes and spent a lot of time running around and making silly faces at each other. The 4 year old also had a rather loud temper tantrum, at which point I promptly told her she could rejoin her sister and I once she composed herself. And lo and behold, she was fine five minutes later :).

I also watched Big Love, my favoritest show on TV ever. And chatted with a few friends on the phone.

We had a rainstorm today that was quite lovely...our plants needed it!
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  16:56:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The weather here has been in the high 30's (oC) consistently for the past week. It's crazy.

Two more of my wisdom teeth are coming in and tearing up the side of my cheek (they're both on the same side). It hurts so much! One came in last year and I waited a few months to get it out and it was infected and gross. So I have an appointment later this week to have it looked at. Unfortunately I have to wait a few weeks to get them out because I can't get time off work.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  20:03:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I went to the dentist this morning to see if my teeth were infected, etc. and my dentist decided to take them out this morning. So the left half of my face has been numb all day and I haven't been able to talk properly because half my tongue is numb as well. Right now face is back to normal but my tongue isn't. Apparantly it's the first thing that supposed to un-numb (I can't think of the word) but mine's the last, so I think it's because I've been chewing on it all day without realizing it.

I had a good night last night. My friend and I decided to play tourist in our own city, taking pictures of our favourite spots (our city is known for its street-scapes). It was really fun, except when we ran into people we knew...

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Till
Giddy

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  15:17:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the most unusual compliment today:
"Your surname would be reason enough to marry you."
[:I]

That statement suggests that she thought there were other reasons, too, but I didn't dare to ask.

BTW, the woman in question was a sales agent for foot care products, and I had never seen her before.
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  12:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's 25oC and not a cloud in the sky. All of my housemates are done their exams and are enjoying the weather, while I'm stuck in the library with FOUR exams left.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.