New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  17:36:59  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address Send Myf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's back again!

What have I been reading lately? Well, I finally got around to reading one of the classics of 20th century literature - Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. It was fabulous, not at all what I expected and a genuinely shocking read. Wonderful prose, great characters... put it on your must-read list today!

What have you been reading?

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  17:48:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clinical Neuroanatomy and Related Neuroscience. *weeps*

I had been getting very good at the whole reading thing while I was out in the big bad world, but I never seem to find the time to read when I'm in college. I must rectify this. Hm.

The last book I read was Captain Correlli's Mandolin and I still can't decide what I think of it. I loved the war bits, and then after that... dunno.

The last book I read that I definitely loved was Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. So good.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Jewlz
Addled

Canada
60 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  17:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just finished Stolen Lives by Malika Oufkir. It was a heartbreaking story, but one that needed to be told. I couldn't imagine living through what that family did.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  17:56:39  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee

Clinical Neuroanatomy and Related Neuroscience. *weeps*

Ooh! Yay!

My favourite part of neuroanatomy has to be... the Foramen of Monro. Maybe the infundibulum. Isn't that a great word!

At the moment, my research is all about the orbitofrontal cortex. Damn it. And the anterior cingulate gyrus.

So, is there a nerd smiley?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  18:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read The Picture of Dorian Gray. I thought the ending was brilliant, despite how highly criticized it was at the time Oscar Wilde wrote it. It's haunted me more than any book I've read in a long time.

Edited by - n/a on 06/15/2006 18:30:14
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  19:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't been able to read much lately. I should have plenty of time when I go to my grandparents beach house this summer. I've been thinking of reading Moby Dick. Is that any good?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  19:54:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moby Dick is good but a little cumbersome to wade through. The exposition seems to take forever, and the language is somewhat stilted and archaic. But if you can make it through the first third of the book, the rest is worth it. You should read it at least once in your lifetime.

edited because I can't type two lines without typos!

Edited by - n/a on 06/15/2006 19:56:48
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  20:04:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started it a couple of years ago, but gave up due to lack of time and because I couldn't take all the misperceptions about whales. The parts about the art of whaling were a little distressing for me. I will probably give it another go sometime, but no time soon.

Right now I'm listening to The Fiery Cross of the Outlander series. There's a new book in the series, but I felt I needed to review to get back into the swing of the series. My friends in Asheville have been waiting on me to finish reading so that we can discuss the latest installment. We are going up for the Fourth again, so my goal is to be finished by then.

I'm also in the middle of Wicked which is really good-- but I love the Wizard of Oz stories.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  22:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last good book I read was "The Curious incident of the Dog in the Nighttime"... that was a while ago! Actually, since then I've read "Old Man and the Sea", but that was for school.

Somebody had told me not to read "The Curious Incident..." for some reason I don't remember, but I did anyway and I loved it.

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  22:33:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been thinking of rereading Anne of Green Gables. My neice, who is a little too young to read the books, recently borrowed the DVD and when I saw her after she watched it she handed it to me and said "I cried". I told her I did the same thing. I think I've got her hooked on it. She was down the other day and wanted to rewatch it. Naturally I could find every DVD I own BUT that one.

Now I'll have to start her on the Little House books.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  00:57:41  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm now reading a book called Soul Made Flesh: The Discovery of the Brain and how it Changed the World. It's by Carl Zimmer and it's really good.

The Boy saw me reading it and mocked my nerdiness. I reminded him that he's reading a book about the lawyers involved in the trial of Charles I.

Go to Top of Page

Joyful
Giddy

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  23:29:45  Show Profile  Visit Joyful's Homepage  Click to see Joyful's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

I'm also in the middle of Wicked which is really good-- but I love the Wizard of Oz stories.

I loved the book so much! You made me want to re-read it. The author is brilliant. I read another one of his, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. It's also very good, based on the Cinderella story. I'm waiting to read the sequel to Wicked, Son of a Witch. I'm justing waiting for it to come out in paperback.

I'm currently in the middle of Uncle John's Bathroom Reader: He Shoots, He Scores(it's all about hockey). It's is extremely lame to read something like this as a book, but I learned loads of random things when I read one of the regular editions. After the hockey edition, I have a Hollywood edition.

Order of the Bookmark
Do you know that everytime you're near, everybody else seems far away?
So can you come and make them disappear?
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  01:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooh Pixie I loved Dorian Grey! I liked it so much after I read it that I promptly read it again. I was amazed at how well Wilde wrote - I'd always kind of written him off, I (now) can't think why.

I just finished Eric Idle's Greedy Bastard Diary, great fun. How can you not like a book that includes comments like:

But chašun Ó son goűt, as the French say when looking at English food..

It's great fun for a Python fan - nothing terribly deep or meaningful and a few too many celebrity names dropped for no reason but a nice view of what it's like to do a comedy tour.

I'm thinking I'm going to read the Narnia series start to finish... to try to look at parallels vs HP up the the 7th book. I've always hated knowing that the series was JKR's favorite as I don't want book 7 to be a "Last Battle" but I thought it might be a good way to pass the time.

If anyone else is interested, we could try to do a thread on it!

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  21:50:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started reading Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West the other day. I love the musical and my mom saw the book and bought it for me. I really like it, though I was a little shocked when I realized how completely different it is from the musical. The book is very dark, and while the musical has some dark aspects, it doesn't come close to the book. Anyway, I still really like it, though it's taking me a long time to read. Very slow progress. I've been reading it in almost all of my free time since I got it on Friday (though, admittedly, my free time has been very limited these past few days) and I'm only 200 pages in.

Edit: just realized there have already been posts on this... haha. I would love to read Gregory Maguire's other books too.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - Cour_Delafleur on 06/20/2006 21:51:53
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  22:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joyful, I read the Bathroom Reader series as well. I have a bunch of them sitting in my bookshelf.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  23:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a few of the Bathroom Reader series books, too. They're just so interesting and you can have an attention span of a gnat and still enjoy them. The Plunges into History one is my favorite.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  11:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AMC, which order are you going to read them in-- publishing (starting with Lion) or story sequental (starting with Magician's Nephew)? I haven't read them in so long, but I think I might do so again soon.

I've not seen the musical of Wicked, but do like the book. Lots of philosophical questions (starting with "what is evil?") but makes its points without being heavy handed or snide.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  14:44:50  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've read a whole lot since Christmas--partly when we were travelling to Mississippi (long waits in airports are good for reading, as well as being in a camp where everyone goes to bed by 10pm and you're a night owl).

So, I read the four Time books by Madeleine L'Engle
Part of "Gulliver's Travels", but didn't finish it
Part of "Abolition of Man", by C.S. Lewis (read that on my trip and didn't finish, though I will some day
"Wuthering Heights" --finally made it through, and didn't like it
"Mansfield Park" (Austen)--liked that one
something by Maeve Binchy--it was ok, but I don't remember the name
*"The Illuminator", by Brenda Rickman Vancleave--LOVED this one
*"I Capture the Castle", by Dodie Smith--LOVED this one too

I've been doing the book club re-reading of HP at the Leaky Lounge, so we've done PS and are about half way through COS.

And I'm currently reading "The Moonstone", by Wilkie Collins--another 19th century book. It's a detective novel, and is pretty good. Very entertaining style, where the author talks directly to the reader through the main character, as though you're sitting across the room and he's telling the story.

Being sick with bronchitis for most of March was great for my reading--it's all I did for about two weeks. Otherwise I never would have finished Wuthering Heights. I just can't like any of the characters, and as a result, really disliked the book. They were all disagreeable or downright nasty.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  14:55:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eeyore

Being sick with bronchitis for most of March was great for my reading--it's all I did for about two weeks. Otherwise I never would have finished Wuthering Heights. I just can't like any of the characters, and as a result, really disliked the book. They were all disagreeable or downright nasty.

WORD.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  15:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I thought I was the only one who disliked Wuthering Heights. Neither were very sympathetic characters and I just couldn't get into the story.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  16:07:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Add me to that list. Hated Wuthering Heights. Have read The Moonstone and The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins a couple of times each and liked both of them. I Capture the Castle is one of my all time favourite books. They made a movie of it a few years back with Bill Nighy as the father and Tara Fitzgerald as Topaz. It was pretty good, but the book is so entertaining.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Ichtys
Giddy

Denmark
22 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  16:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, if you get a chance to get your hands on Ondskan (Evil) by Jan Guillou, you should try to read it.
It is a very good book, and is translated to French (Fabrique de violence) and probably other languages as well. It is an (autobiographical)book about a boy who changes the course his life is taking. His father abuses him, and the bording scool is using something called "buddy upbringing" (my translation).
If you can't get the book, watch the movie.
Regards Ichtys

Order of the Bookmark
Love ALL
Worship ONE
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  12:02:47  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eeyore

That's the way I always felt about Gone With the Wind. I couldn't stand Scarlet, so I barely made it through the book.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  18:39:47  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There was a wonderful pisstake of Wuthering Heights from years back that had Daleks going up the hill crying out "Cathy!" and "Heathcliff!" and "Cathy!!" and "Heathcliff!!"

I was amused.

I'm reading Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle, but I've been distracted by some fanfic.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  20:36:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, did anyone like Wuthering Heights? It's been 25 years since I read it and I didn't like it then, either.

Right now I'm reading an anthology of Sherlock Holmes stories ... the problem is that I've read about half of them before (a very long time ago), but I can't remember which ones until I'm halfway through them and then remember the endings.

I've never read the Narnia series, and I probably should. My mom loves them, but I never picked them up for whatever reason -- probably because I got the impression they were religious books. Silly reason not to read them, really.
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  23:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the whole Narnia series, but never got past the first one (The Magician's Nephew, not The Lion...)

I finished Wicked. I really liked it and was really sad at the end, which surprised me considering I knew how it was going to end, sort of, before I even picked up the book.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - Cour_Delafleur on 06/22/2006 23:25:15
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  01:00:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I adore Wuthering Heights! It's an amazing book! But then again, I took a class in college in which we read nothing but the Br÷ntes - all the Br÷ntes, all their writings - and Emily was by far my favorite as a writer. I found Charlotte (and Jane Eyre) somewhat irritating and Ann even worse.

I will have to say I enjoyed Monty Python's Wuthering Heights in Semaphore... Ooo! I need to go find my Spamish Inquisition photo...

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  01:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

AMC, which order are you going to read them in-- publishing (starting with Lion) or story sequental (starting with Magician's Nephew)? I haven't read them in so long, but I think I might do so again soon.

Cool! Let me know if you do so and I'll start a thread. I would start with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I don't like the Magician's Nephew, it's kind of an upstart "prequel" and I resent it being presented as Book 1 of the Narnia series.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  11:39:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read the The Magician's Nephew first and I'm on The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. But I've very lax in my reading because it just isn't catching my attention, even after watching the movie. I thought it through and decided to read them in the order C.S. Lewis wanted them read--sequential, not published order. Of course, it's been a year or two since I read the The Magician's Nephew so I forget most of the stuff that was in it. At the rate I'm making through the series, I might finish it in the next few decades.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  14:15:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Public Service Announcement: If you plan to read the Chronicles of Narnia, DON'T READ THE MAGICIAN'S NEPHEW FIRST!

No offence to CS Lewis, but don't listen to him! Read them in their published order, or at the very least read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe first.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  19:37:08  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I didn't mind Wuthering Heights - but I thnk it was because I read it straight after Jane Eyre and that bored me to sobs. At least the characters in WH had some... character. You know, actual emotions! Hurrah! But it wasn't the best thing I'd ever read and I don't think I'd pick it up again.

I liked in one of Jasper Fforde's books where he makes all the characters in WH go to anger management therapy - the only reason why the book didn't end with Heathcliff being murdered by everyone else and buried quietly on the moors.

Narnia? *yawn* I should read them again but after the film I am terribly uninspired.

Another vote her for 'I Capture the Castle'. I ADORE it. If you haven't read it, do so now!

And finally, I've just started reading The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.