Quazy Quilters
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  12:39:32  Show Profile Send Siobhan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I know, cheesy title for a topic.

I've made only one HP themed quilt. It was the easiest of easy since I used a printed panel. Daughter loved it. Had to explain that she shouldn't tell people she slept with Harry Potter.

Have found some really nice machine embroidery designs of hippogryffs (erroneously labled as Gryffindor House's mascot-- how lame) and was thinking they could work into blocks. Will have to give it some thought while I finish projects from my mountain of to-dos.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  16:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't quilt, but I have enough supplies to start a quilting store. My mom was a quilter. She and her friend used to argue because my mom was a hand quilter and her friend machine quilted and she she felt that machine quilting wasn't real quilting. My gram used to quilt, also. My mom said she'd come home from school and there would sometimes be 6 women in her living room working on a quilt.

My favorite quilt my mom made was a Sunbonnet Sue pattern using up all my niece's old baby clothes. My niece has it in her bedroom. What a wonderful keepsake that is.

I have a quilt that needs bound and don't know how to do it. It has triangle edges so I don't think that it should be the first project I bind. So it's sitting in the bottom of a dresser. It's all quilted, but the binding is waiting to be done.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  20:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a lot of mitring. Binding is my least favourite part. I love the creative process, though.

I've been doing some McKenna Ryan quilts. I started with a couple of smaller pieces.
http://www.pineneedles.com/SuperStore/SuperStore-Product.asp?ProductID=180
http://www.pineneedles.com/SuperStore/SuperStore-Product.asp?ProductID=569
Then tackled a full sized piece.
http://www.pineneedles.com/SuperStore/SuperStore-Assortment.asp?AssortmentID=30
They are art quilts, so you have to have room to hang them, but lots of fun.
I've also taken some of her patterns and adapted them for placemats and a tablerunner.
Of course there's always the three bed quilts I've got in various stages of completion. As well as the quilt tops I inherited from my grandma. I need backing, batting, and binding for at least 3 quilts from the 30's or 40's. Oh, I also need TIME!!!!!!

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  21:02:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooo - I like binding. It's not hard, you don't need to miter the corners! What do you mean "triangle edges"?

I have to confess - I don't like machine quilted quilts half as well as hand quilted ones. I only hand quilt - which is why I rarely finish anything! My favorite kind of quilt it the Hawaiian quilts, where you cut a pattern out of folded whole cloth and applique it to the background. I'm working on a wall hanging now - it's appliqued but I haven't quilted it and it's only been sitting for the last year! *Cough* I've been really busy.

Those are beautiful, Siobhan!

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Edited by - AMC on 05/13/2007 21:03:36
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  23:00:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What type of frames do you use? My mom had both the traditional style, that were too big and never used, and a plastic frame. They were great because she could sit in her chair and quilt and then when she was done push the frames into the corner and out of the way. Here they are: http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/31rrPC9zXyL._SS500_.jpg. Her wood frames she got from some woman out in the middle of nowhere. We were deep into hillbilly country and the woman climbed a ladder and brought them out through her attic window. An amazing feat for a woman who was definately older than 65 at the time.

AMC, those Hawaii quilts are beautiful. There is a Mennonite quilt store in Maryland where my mom used to get her fabric and their quilts were drool-worthy. Everything was hand quilted. Of course, the prices for completed quilts began at $1,000 and up.

My favorite quilt from when I was little was this crazy quilt my great aunts made from leftover corduroy, velvet, and other heavy fabrics. That thing weighed a ton, but was wonderful to sleep under.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2007 :  01:39:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favorite childhood quilt was totally not a proper quilt - it was a whole piece of burgundy silk satin backed with a hand-knit silk blanket and filled with.. probably more silk, I can't recall! It was from my grandmother's house, my mom's family had lived in Asia. It was SO heavy and I just loved it. It was hand-tied with yarn in different shades of pink and burgundy and the ties kept coming loose and needing to be redone. I still have fondness for hand-tied quilts and I think it's because of my early memories of snuggling under that quilt.

I don't use a frame - I use a large hoop. I like to have my quilting in my lap and I have never learned to stitch properly with my arms outstretched the way a frame requires.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Edited by - AMC on 05/14/2007 01:41:31
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.