Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  22:15:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wheeeeee! I finished that pain-in-the-arse top! Now I can start something that will (hopefully) be a bit less frustrating!

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  22:54:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pictures! I wanna see it. Please,

I'm 3/4ths done with one sleeve. I've discovered that the sleeves are quite roomy. I was worried about them being tight, now I see it's a bit loose. Oh well, I'm not redoing it. I think this may be because you take off the sleeve stitches at the bust area, and I'm quite endowed there, so I think it carried onto my sleeve circumference somehow. I hope to finish this week.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  23:18:14  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Pictures indeed!

I'm so far away from finishing now. And I already made another mistake. Bah.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  14:35:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My sweater's still coming along. I haven't touched it in a week or so with all the hype about the new book and other stuff.

I have aquired a huge stash of Lion Brand Suede yarn. I don't usually buy Lion Brand yarn because $6-$7 for a small skein is expensive for synthetic fiber in my opinion, but we have an outlet/overstock store near my house that has had it on sale for less than $1 and I've been buying it up. So now I've got a good supply of four different jewel tone colors (teal, eggplant, magenta, and olive) and no idea what to do with it. I wanted the blue, also, but when I went back they were sold out. It's a plush velvety yarn that should be knit on a 9-10 US size needles. Any ideas?

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  15:15:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like excellent hat material (although you'd only need a little for that, of course).

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  16:55:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like Lion Suede, just haven't come up with a project for it yet, so I didn't buy any.

I know, I know, pictures.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  17:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like how Lion Suede feels knit up. It's very soft, and at less than $1 a skein I couldn't pass it up. One thing is that it doesn't show patterns very well being a thick yarn. I was going to use it for another sweater, but I couldn't get the neck ribbing right. I did see a beautiful poncho done in it, but they're really not in style anymore. Inspiration will strike sometimes. I may just pull out my mom's knitting machine and make some afghans with it.

They still have a bunch of a black/gray combo that I didn't pick up, but next time I have to run to the supermarket I may stop over and grab it up if it's still available. The same store also have a ton of a beautiful light seafoam colored Lion Thick Chenille that I love, but I'm waiting until the price comes down. That I'd want to make into pillows and a throw because it's in the same tonal family as one of my comforters and would match perfectly.

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/28/2007 17:27:37
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  17:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never made any ponchos for myself and only one for Daughter. Just didn't like them-- not in the 70's and not now. I love my Irish ruanas, though. They are more like a blanket folded in half (the fold goes over the shoulders) with a slit up the center front. They wear like a cape. I've one that is deep mossy green wool boucle from Weave of the Irish. I looks lovely with my Lorien Leaf brooch and smells like heather when it gets wet.

There are free patterns available for Lion Suede at Lionbrand.com. I've got one from a magazine for a pullover sleeveless top.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  14:01:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been looking at ruanas for awhile now. I'm hoping to get to one soon.

I have a question. Have any of you ever knit a moebius strip scarf/hat/shrug? I've been reading patterns and I just don't understand them. Couldn't you just make the twist by circular knitting your first row and at the last stitch just making sure it's twisted around? I remember making them by accident when I first started circular knitting. I'm tempted to just try my way and go for it. My niece wants a moebius shawl and I'd like a hat for winter.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  18:33:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've knit a number of them on straight needles, but there's no reason you couldn't do them twisted on circular needles. It means the rows will be running lengthwise of the piece instead of widthwise.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  12:35:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've figured out one project I'm going to do with my suede yarn stash. I'm going to make an afghan with the teal and rose. Here are the colors:

It's kind of a loud combination, but the colors in person look really nice together and would be good for a teens room. My niece will end up getting it probably. I'm going to do the following pattern:

Row 1: Knit (teal)
Row 2: Purl (teal)
Row 3: Knit (rose)
Row 4: Knit (rose)

It comes out as a teal green afghan with rose ridge striping. I did a test square last night and it looked good. I'll probably add a teal border after it's all done. I was a little worried about carrying the thread up the sides, but it worked out really well. Now I just have to find out what dimensions I want and do a test gauge.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  14:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did anyone notice the cute sweaters in Order of the Phoenix? The one Luna was wearing when she and Harry were discussing Thestrals in the forest was so cute! I wish they'd distribute patterns, but then again, that's what DVD's and screencaps are for, right? I spend a lot of time drawing out my favourite costumes from paused DVD screens and still photos. Now I can't wait for the DVD to come out.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  10:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got the most delicious yarn!!!!

Classic Elite Inca Marl! It's 100% alpaca and soft, soft, soft (not as soft as a bunny, of course ). I can't wait to get started on my next knitting project. Unfortunately I have four in progress at the moment, so I have to finish at least one before starting the next.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  11:16:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to pick my sweater back up and finish it. It just got so hot there for a few weeks to do anything. I just have to finish the bottom of the sleeve off.

I do not like knitting with Lion Suede. I can't get the tension right so it will flow easily. My gauge is right on with the yarn and I'm using the recommended needle size, but it's giving me a bit of a fight. I'm going to try it with the knitting machine and if it works in it, then I'm going to use it for it. I decided not to do the blanket right now and try a shawl. I got about 18 rows in and ripped it all out. I had some uneven stitches that were driving me nuts. If it doesn't work in the knitting machine, then it's getting banished to the bottom of the yarn pile for awhile.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  17:41:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had that trouble when I first tried knitting with the Lion Chenille Thick and Quick. It requires you to change your tension a little because the yarn is so plush.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  18:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got two sweaters nearly finished! I'm about half way done with the second sleeve of one and about to start the sleeves of the other. It feels soooooo gooooood to be nearing the ends of these projects and the beginning of my next ones. Starting is much more fun for me. I enjoy the pawing through patterns and my yarn bags for just the right match, sitting down and figuring the gauge, and picking up my needles and casting on that first row.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  21:02:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Starting is much more fun for me also. I putter out when I get to the end of things. I still have part of one sleeve left to do on my sweater. It isn't even that much, but I have to color match the variegation and I've been avoiding it. Maybe this week I'll force myself to do it.

I haven't been doing much knitting lately. My newest project is a miniature roombox set in a paper mache book. I'm doing a gentleman's library. I've got the book cover done, but I'm waffling between one inch or half-inch scale. I'll start a new thread when I get pictures.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  12:29:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found a knitting loom in the closet I was cleaning. I had no idea it was there! Evidently it was my mom's from the 70s and called an 'Irish Knitter'. I'll have to use it and see how it works.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  14:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been ripping and reknitting.
One of the projects I had finished turned out too tight (or too tight for my liking). So I've ripped it all out and am starting over. This time I'm knitting in black banding on the all leaf green jacket. Started with a sleeve. The sleeves and sides have slits in them, so the banding adds a nice touch. So far it looks stunning, even though I'm a little tired of the project.

I really shoud get Daughter to take some pictures for me to post.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  20:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I decided to try out the knitting board I found in the closet with my Lion Suede yarn since I was having a hard time finding the right tension with hand knitting it. So far it's working out pretty well. It's a double knitting so the the front and back look like the stockinette stitch. You can also use it so it's circular or regular stockinette, but I wanted to try the basic instructions first. I don't know if I'm going to make it into a shawl or use it as a panel for an afghan. We'll see after I get more done.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  11:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lucky duck! Whenever I find things like that in closets, there aren't any instructions-- either that or they are poorly translated from Japanese (one of the reasons I got rid of my grandmother's knitting machine).

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  16:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a neat thing. If you google knitting boards you can get instructions, but I was lucky that the instructions were actually in the box. It's not necessarily any quicker than hand-knitting, but I'm getting a much more even double knit (single knit/purl ribbing) than if I'd do it by hand. It's also good because there is no left or right handedness to it and I can teach my neice, who is having trouble learning because I'm a lefty knitter and she's right-handed, to use it.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  10:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody got any sure fire moth/carpet beetle repellants or killers?
One of the sweaters I've been working on has already been chewed-- and not by the rabbit. It's really heartbreaking. The sweater was ready to be sewn together. Now I have to sit down and try to work in a patch.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  07:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Find a cedarwood box (preferably red cedar). The smell of the wood "hides" the wool from moths, and the red cedar can kill larvae. Also hang anything you've been working on in bright sunlight for a while before you pack it away.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."

Edited by - Starling on 09/14/2007 07:19:21
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  21:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the cedar I already have plenty of-- sunlight too for that matter. Does it work for carpet beetles, though?
I have a wool carpet that was supposed to be treated chemically against the little beasts, but it has been chewed mercilessly (this is unrelated to the sweater).

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  17:51:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wahoo!!! Finished off the front of my Inca Marl sweater. Now on to the sleeves!

Will soon finish sewing my Chinese sweater together. Then will be on to finishing the collar.

That's two projects nearly off the needle. Now to decide on replacements....

I've also started armhole shaping on my Cider House turtleneck. Actually, I considering making it just a mock turtle-- real ones are just too hot for Charleston.

The latest lace piece is still in its holding pattern. Just have to think about it a little more. I've added stitches and the pattern is confusing in itself. Having the graph ought to help, though.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  10:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have decided on an Araucania Atacama (colourway 530) cardigan in a peacock feather lace stitch (pattern here: http://www.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=218024. The gauge worked out beautifully! And the colours!!!!! I just love starting new projects.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  18:53:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've restarted my sweater. I put it away because I just didn't want to deal with matching the stripes on the sleeves, but I've learned not to do this again because I forgot the pattern and had to sit and try to remember how often I should decrease and what row I'm on. I'm about 80% done.

I'm forcing myself to work on it because I found a yarn that I fell in love with. It's a soft heathered dark teal. I'm thinking maybe a cardigan for this one. My only problem is that maybe it's too soft. I was thinking maybe of using it and knitting with two strands at once. Have you ever done this? On top of that I'm still working on my knitting loom panel in my pink Lion Suede. Still don't know what I'm going to make out of this. But I keep on plugging with it.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  11:02:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I've finished sewing the Chinese sweater together (still need to do the collar). I tried it on last night. Finally, a project that turned out really well and virtually headache free!

The Atacama Peacock Plume cardi got off to a rocky start. Had troubly wrapping my head around the pattern at first, partly because I missed a knit together and partly because nowhere did it mention that the pattern appears to shift as you work. The markers for the pattern repeats shift to the left two stitches with every patterned row. How hard is it to mention that in instructions? Oh well, it is working well now and that's all that matters. I'll have to note it on the pattern myself, though, for future reference.

Wonder if Myf ever finished her cardi?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  13:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found a lovely bit of wool Friday: Marisol's Miski. It's baby llama, which means soft, soft, soft. Reminds me a bit of Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk. Will take the same kind of patterns-- lots of drape, loose-fitting, snuggly. I bought a soft pinky lavender heather, but was torn between it and the navy/black. Now what to make......

Oh, and yes, I've knitted with double strands. It's not hard, just be sure to keep your strands evenly tensioned. The one I worked on was a strand of mohair with a strand of rayon boucle. The mohair always wanted to cling to itself and the rayon wanted to be loose. They both loved to coil around each other, which wasn't bad, but did get a bit tight at times. Had to untwist and separate the two repeatedly. Nice effect though.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.