Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  19:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone make socks? I've never used double pointed needles and socks just seem like the hardest thing in the world to knit.

My sweater is back on track, but I've been painting this weekend so I haven't worked on it as much. I think I'm going to do three light brown stripes. The top and bottom the same width and the middle the widest. This is sort of a make it up as I go along kind of thing. Probably not the best philosophy when you're knitting your first sweater, but it works for me. I do the same thing when I'm building and decorating my dollhouse. I have a rough idea, but then the house has it's own attitude and decides it wants something different. Best to go along and do what feels right than with what I originally planned.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  18:17:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have most of the body of my sweater done. I've given up on knitting for the next few days. It's been in the 90s with high humidity and it's too hot to do anything. Especially since we don't have the air conditioner in the window. I'm hoping it cools down because it's just sweltering and I can't stand to do anything. This heat makes you so lethargic.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  20:06:23  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My cardigan is coming along well too - I've done the decrease and am now increasing again and hoping that it's going to look OK - the dec-inc looks quite dramatic. Oh well, it's all a learning experience, this project. I'm not too far away from doing the ribbing at the bottom, and then it'll be be time to tackle the sleeves. How does that work, I wonder?

Can't wait to see yours, Jo! You've been working so fast - what size needles are you using?

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  20:45:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using US size 9 (5.5mm) needles. It's a bulky yarn and knitting up quickly. It's actually going faster than most scarves I've done. I plan on going to the laundromat tomorrow morning so I may take it with me and get some knitting done before it gets too hot. Or I may take HP to read. The sleeves are making me worried because my increases are so much neater than my decreases. And my variegated strips aren't going to match up, but hopefully it will be okay. I'll try to get some pictures soon.

My dad wants me to do a sweater for him now. I asked what color and he said yellow. I told him I wasn't knitting him a yellow sweater because I know he'd never wear it. So he said dark blue. Who knows what color it will end up being if I ever get around to it.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  23:50:06  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm using 5.5mm needles too, but it's quite a fine yarn. Seems to take a while to get done, even though I'm working at a good pace now.

The Boy keeps insisting I knit this terrible top I found a pattern for in an old book. It's mustard yellow, v-neck, with a loose knit, and the model wears a kerchief tied around his neck while his chest hair pokes up through the neckline. It's hideous. I refuse.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  10:53:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I completely understand your point of view, Myf. I like men who at least look as though they have evolved-- even if it is just a cover up job (can you imagine Robin Williams without a shirt? *shudders*).

The sleeves will be interesting to knit as they are knit in the round just as the body is. I've never knit a sweater in this manner before, so I will be curious to see how it goes.

Finished my last top-- the one with the crocheted edging. Turned out the crochet wasn't difficult at all. Now all I need to do is block the silly thing. It is made with a 3 x 3 rib for the body so stretches widthwise very easily, unfortunately that also means it becomes shorter than I find comfortable. Guess I should have made the body longer. Perhaps some heavy glass beads sewn on the lower edge....

Urgh. The lace top I've been working on is a bear! I should have known it would be. I'm using a free pattern. From experience, free patterns are not always the best quality. I seem to have got past the main difficulties, though, so we'll see how things progress.
http://www.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=134024

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  20:40:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Myf, mine might be going fast because I'm not knitting a cardigan. The pullover means I don't have to purl and makes the knitting up fast. I might do a cardi next because last year I searched high and low for a long one and could never find the kind I liked. I can't wear non-petite sized sweaters because I have short arms.

Siobhan, what do you use when blocking? An ironing board? I've always stayed away from anything that needed blocking.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  23:10:10  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good point, Jo. I'd forgotten just how much faster it is to knit than to purl.

I reckon I have another 2-3 inches of the body left and then it's onto the sleeves. Hooray! I showed it to my mum last night, she was all impressed.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  12:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

Siobhan, what do you use when blocking? An ironing board? I've always stayed away from anything that needed blocking.
Yup. Since this project is a cotton blend, I'll use my iron on high steam setting and a couple of towels to protect the knit. I stretch the garment on the ironing board measuring to make sure I've got it the size I want, then cover it with another towel and steam.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  16:49:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ugggg! This lace project is a pain. I made it to the joining point (for the underarms) and worked a few rows so I could try the beastly thing on and wouldn't you know, it was too big around. Had to rip out all that I had done-- CAREFULLY! and start back at the joining round.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  16:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh, isn't it a pain to rip out. I hate that.

I'm ready to start working on the arms. I'm a little nervous. Besides worrying about my decreases being neat, I'm praying I have enough teal yarn to work with and try to semi-match the variegated pattern. The body actually looks quite nice. Hope to have pictures of the completed sweater soon. I want to finish it this weekend.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  18:19:35  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So, help me guys.

How do you start knitting the sleeves? At the moment they're both sitting on spare yarn, tied up so you can actually try the thing on (it looks like it has cap sleeves). There's no 'extra' yarn nearby (ie. from the ball I'm knitting from) so how do I start knitting them again? Once I get to the 'get smaller circular needles and place sleeve stitches on it', that's as far as I can go.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  21:34:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I was looking at the pattern you are using Myf and think I may have it figured out.

Slip sleeve stitches back onto a 16 circular needle or double pointed needles.
Like it says, put all the stitched back on the circular needle.

Pick up and knit 1 (2, 2, 3) stitches under the arm, place marker, pick up and knit 1 (1, 2, 2) stitches, and join for knitting in the round.
Your needle points should be near the armpit by the body from where you slipped them off. You have a space under the armpit where you casted on stitches when you separated the arms from the body. You have to pick up your stitches from that and put on your needle to knit. Then you continue knitting in the round.

I'm looking at mine and trying to guess exactly where to pick up the stitches. According to the pattern you don't pick up all the ones you casted on before. I need to find my shorter circular needles before I go any further. I have no idea where they are and will probably have to go buy new. But I don't know if it matters exactly where I pick them up. It's hard to tell.

Siobhan, are we on the right track?

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  21:53:04  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
But where does the yarn for restarting the knitting come from? That's the bit that's confused me.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  22:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have to have a new skein of yarn to work on each sleeve.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  22:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Myf, you'll have to start a new ball, or join another ball of yarn to knit the sleeve. I take it you've finished the body, so do you have a spare bit of yarn from it? You could use it till it's gone then start another ball even in the middle of knitting (just carry the tail along the back for a few stitches then knit with the new ball and carry the tail of the old one in the same manner till it's nice and neat remembering to allow for stretch).

If you pick up your stitches as Jo suggested (sounded good to me), you'll be ready to start knitting with the new/spare wool. Knit as usual, just leave a tail to weave in when you finish up.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  23:12:57  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Um. I think I need pictures. So confusing.

I have what it essentially a loop of stitches, with a smallish gap at the underarm which I'll probably need to sew up a bit. If I insert circular needles so that the points converge at the underarm, then... I get a new ball of yarn (I have plenty) and just use it to start knitting with? My point is, how do I incorporate the new yarn into the knitting - just by virtue of beginning knitting with it? I'm used to the yarn always being attached to the knitting on the righthand needle. Also, not 100% clear on what you mean by 'carry the tail along the back' - on the WS, you mean?

Gnah. So hard to describe this in words, sometimes!

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  23:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, you've got the idea, Myf, just start knitting with the new thread and it will be okay. But you've first got to pick your stitches under the arm and knit those so you don't have that gap. I don't have a camera handy. Maybe YouTube has something. I've used to help with learning stitches.

Times like this that I miss my mom because she would show me what to do. She was a whiz at figuring out stuff like this out. I usually need to actually see someone doing something or at least a clear diagram before doing it. I'm good at duplicating stuff, but following written directions is sometimes like reading Greek.

On another note, I'm trying to learn how to knit right-handed. It's so slow and awkward, but my niece wants to learn. We've tried her sitting in front of me and doing it mirror-image and even her learning left-handed and neither worked. So I'm trying to learn right-handed. Most people have the opposite problem. Only in my family is being a righty a weird thing.

Edited by - Jokelly on 06/28/2007 23:32:37
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  23:41:05  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think it's clear now, thanks! I'm not quite finished with the body - just started the ribbing at the hem and will continue that for another 10cm or so, I think. Nothing worse that a too-short cardy.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  23:59:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, so I went shopping today for my circular needles and couldn't find them. I tried at Walmart, first, because I had to stop in there. They only had 29" circular needles. So I made a trip to Joann's and they only had the 29" also. So now I have to make a special trip near the city to see if I can find them. I could have sworn I had some, but can't find them anywhere. It's so frustrating to not be able to work on it.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  21:37:09  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I started the arms and made a dog's breakfast out of it - dropping stitches constantly, terrible. There's a HUGE gap at the underarm which I'm just going to have to sew up, because I can't fix it. And then the circular needles I had weren't working so I bought some double-point needles and now I'm using them. I've never used them before, but it seems to be going OK. I just need to remember to shove the stitches further towards the centre of the needle because they keep falling off. I feel like I'm doing nothing but picking up stitches. Grah.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  23:14:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm scared of double pointed needles. I've never tried them, but then I used to fear circular needles and now that's all I use most of the time. I'm going to try to make it to the craft store this week so I can get my shorter needles. Right now, the sweater is folded up and waiting. I don't want to start another knitting project so I'm going through my boxes of scrap sewing material and trying to get it all folded uniformly and organized. I'm on an organizing kick for some reason.

Edited by - Jokelly on 06/30/2007 23:18:35
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  14:53:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, the seemingly never-ending quest for the right sized needles... I've been on that one. Everyone carries the 29" needles in just about all sizes, but try to find 16" ones. Sorry, sleeves and necklines don't work on 29" of plastic line. Think I'll put one of those universal sets on my Christmas gift list-- they have interchangeable needles and lines. They are expensive, but would effectively end a lot of frustration.

Has anyone seen the lightup needles? They look cool, but I don't know how they'd feel to knit with. Ever since I took shorthand in high school (a dead skill, I know ), I've not been able to bear a cap on the end of my pen while writing. It's something to do with throwing off the balance or weight of the pen-- feels really uncomfortable.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  17:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Siobhan, I have some of those interchangable needles. They're great, but you have to make sure you tighten them good because they tend to come unscrewed. Look at Joann's or Michael's, or whatever craft store you have, because they have clearance sales on them sometimes. I didn't buy the set, but they also sell the lines and needles seperately. You can sometimes get the needles for only $2.00 a set. I have a few of them. That said, I've been eyeing up the whole set on Joann.com because they have frequent 50% off coupons. The set would only cost around $40.00 and that's not bad.

I've seen those light-up needles, but didn't look too closely at them. I think they also had some glow-in-the-dark ones for kids.

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/01/2007 17:02:10
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  18:28:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I feel like I'm doing nothing but picking up stitches. Grah.

My gran used corks to stop the stitches from falling off.

It's weird, I can't write with a ballpoint with the cap on the back, but I can only write with a fountain pen when it's got the cap on the back.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  20:31:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my needles today, finally. I could only get the bamboo, though, because they only had 29" and 32" in the metal needles. I did find my 16" interchangable cord last night, but they didn't have any interchangable needles at Michaels today. I'm hoping to get back started on knitting this week.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  12:06:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started my sleeves. I'm about half done with one. Myf, I have holes, too. Next sweater I do, it's going to be for my dad, I'm not following directions when it comes to the armholes. The directions said to cast on 8 extra stitches when you seperate the arms out and form the body, then when you get back to pick up the arms it had to only pick up four stitches. That just didn't make sense to me because I had casted on eight. Well, I listened to the instructions and I had a hole. It's easy to fix and I'll follow instructions for the next arm and just sew the hole because I don't to mess up my stitch count. But the next sweater I do I'm picking up the number of stitches I casted on in the beginning. It just looks better in the long run.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  19:02:31  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, guess what? With the entire body done and half of one sleeve - yesterday I pulled the entire thing apart. I realised that it really is a bit too small, and there are too many places where there have been mistakes (some of the first buttonholes, the shaping at the waist, the underarm) that I would make excuses not to wear it. So instead of finishing something I probably won't wear, I thought I'd re-do it, a bit bigger, in the hopes that I might be able to make something wearable.

So it really is back to square one. I've done my casting on and the neck ribbing and I'm about 7 rows into the entire thing. *pout*

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  19:10:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds a bit like my current project. I've done so much ripping out and starting over that I'm not even fussed about it anymore. I figure I'll finish it up someday so it's not worth fussing over. Actually, I'm pretty close to finished, so I'm thinking about my next project-- always a fun prospect.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  19:43:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm determined to finish mine. Nobody thinks I have the attention span to actually finish it. The hardest thing is trying to match variegated stripes. There are a few places where I changed color that I'd know I'd do differently now, but I'm not ripping it out. I'm actually really impressed with my handiwork. I never thought it would actually resemble a real sweater.

Now if only I could learn to read more patterns. I'm hopeless at most of them.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.