Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  11:16:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your markers are fine. I would do the same using a different colour marker for the one I added for the band on the right front.

In looking at the photo again, it does look like a seam, but the way the pattern is constructed, the sleeves are knit right into the body. My guess is that what we are seeing is the increased stitches on either side of the marker (rows 9 and 10 repeated till the sweater fits) making the raglan sleeve.

You know, this sweater would look really nice on Daughter. She has narrow shoulders (I don't do raglan sleeves-- too chesty), so I could adjust the stitches to fit her. Perhaps I've just found my next knitting project. At a smaller scale I could use up left over yarn by making stripes.....

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  03:34:28  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have updates!

Here's the project so far. Looking OK, isn't it? Like the colour?

The seams from the increasing a stitch everything RS row are coming along nicely. A bit further along and I'll be able to try it on and work out how to get the next part started.

Thanks for all your help, Siobhan! One more question for you - the pattern (which we have now agreed leaves a lot to be desired) says this: Also, when you come to start a new ball of yarn, knit the first 6 stitches of every row with the old ball first.

How? And Why? The only way I've ever changed from one ball of yarn is by tying the smallest knot I can. I've never felted them together. But how do you knit from a different ball of yarn at the start of each row?

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  10:33:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone has their own way of changing yarn. I usually do what you do, Myf, and tye them together, but I think what they mean is when you get to end and have just enough for a few stitches then pick the new thread and use two threads together to knit. So for a six stitches they will be a little thicker than the others. I've also heard people take a crochet hook and weave the old and new thread threw the backside of the stitches where it's not seen. I really like the charcoal color of the sweater.

Has anyone seen the show on HGTV called Knitty Gritty. It's all about knitting. Way over my head in ability, but I love to watch it. It used to be on in the mornings, but I have no idea when it's on now. They show different patterns and techniques. Very neat show.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  11:18:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cardy looks great, Myf! I've always liked charcoal grey. Red buttons would look really nice.

The reason for trading balls of yarn that I've heard most often is to avoid a stark change of colour if your yarn is odd dye lots or to break up a pattern in a variegated yarn. In this case it may be that they feel the binding needs a little reinforcing if the ball change is close to either end. Personally, I think solid colour yarns are uniform enough (most of the time) the first shouldn't be a problem. As for the second, your bands should be plenty strong (though they are the area that receives the most stress/stretch)-- if the ball change is in the middle what would be the point of carrying it all the way to the end as they suggest? Can't see why it would make a difference how you change yarn.

I ususally work mine together-- weaving in the tail of the new yarn with the old for a few stitches then weaving in the tail of the old yarn for a few stitches. The only time I knot is if I feel the yarn will slip free.

Never seen Knitty Gritty. Will have to check it out.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  17:14:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow,
I'm so impressed with your cardie Myf! I would like to get back knitting. I have only ever knitted simple things like scarves and squares for a big multicoloured blanket. I did learn crochet as a child and was able to make hats for my dolls.
I suppose knitting is just one of the things I would like to do.
Is there anything special to watch out for when using those circular needles? I have a week off before I start my job so I might just buy some...
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  19:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make sure you have your little markers if you're knitting in the round with the circular needles or you'll forget where you've started.

Do you all use row counters? My mom used them faithfully, but I keep forgetting to change the row number with each row. I think my dog chewed the last of mine up so I'm going to have to go buy a few someday.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  04:42:21  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nope, never used them Jo! I remember my nana uses them. I'd completely forget where I was up to.

Still going on the cardy, haven't had much time. Soon enough, though, I'll be up to joining the front section to the back (ie. where I stop knitting the sleeves) - any tips? I don't quite know how I will approach it.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  11:54:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That will be a stress point in the garment. The sides will pull at it as well as the sleeve. Just be sure that the stitches are nice and tight so as to avoid holes.

I use row counters sometimes, but usually I just keep track on paper. That way I can duplicate the counts when I make the next pieces.

While in the mountains, I went to one of my favourite yarn shops, Yarn Paradise, at Biltmore Village. Got yarn for 3 more projects. There's a beautiful deep blue violet Elsbeth Lavold Silky Wool, King Tut cotton in dusty grape, and Araucania Nature Wool in a deep ruby handpaint. I guess those will be my colours for this year.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  17:23:07  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So Siobhan, the row in which I abandon the sleeves, I put them on separate yarn. And then... do I just continue knitting onto the first stitch of the back segment, or do I have to do something more fancy? Also, does it matter whether I join them while on RS or WS?

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  17:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've got it. Place the sleeve stitches on a holder or small circular needle or a strand of yarn, then continue-- knit as though they weren't there. That's all there is to it. When you knit the sleeves you'll pick up those stitches again. It should be fairly seamless. If you feel the need to strengthen the join I suppose you could duplicate stitch with some spare yarn, but it shouldn't be necessary.

It's not crucial that you work RS since the garment is one piece with an opening. If you were working a tube (as you will be for the sleeves), it might be easier to work RS(I find knitting easier and quicker than purling).

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  00:55:34  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ah, thanks! I'm having a 'crafternoon' with a friend this weekend - she's a fantastic knitter and seamstress, so if I'm having any problems we'll be sure to nut them out. We're planning to drink tea and champagne and listen to music and chat while we knit. Fun, eh? (And nerdy).

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  10:52:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you drop the stitch before or after the champagne?
I'm sure your friend can help you reweave the dropped stitch. It's not too difficult if you use a crochet hook.

I dropped a stitch on the last top I was working on. Found it and pulled it back up, but ended up ripping out the whole section anyways. The short rows weren't behaving themselves. Don't get me started on the lace pattern instructions! URGH! I had worked 3 of the shoulder pieces only to figure out that the pattern had to be wrong. Sure enough there were corrections made to the pattern. I printed them out, ripped out the shoulder I was working on, then found out the corrections were wrong too! Had to figure it out myself. Thank goodness it wasn't a whole garment.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  20:24:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're making me want to try a sweater. I haven't challenged myself and have this itch to pull out my needles and try.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  20:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find it a lot more fun than just scarves.

I've graduated from plain knitting to cables and lace. Found that I love those patterns that call for yarn-overs-- they make little holes in the knit. There's a new one in "Interweave Knits" that uses the Oriel lace pattern. Have been inspired to try it, but think I'll use the lace for the top part (like a yoke) and sleeves with a connecting lace or rib pattern below.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  23:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now my mom was great at cables and lacy patterns, but she usually only knit afghans. I think she only knit one sweater. She didn't care for it. One thing that's hard with lacy patterns is reversing everything. Because of my knitting left-handed my cables come out backwards if I follow directions as written. My mom just used to take the pattern and rewrite it, substituting left for right. A few months ago I finally conquered basic cables and felt so proud of myself. I kept thinking "this is never going to work out", but to my surprise it did! I thought it was so hard, but once I sat down and actually tried it it really wasn't. Someday, I want to make a Aran cable bedspread.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  12:46:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Myf has inspiried me to knit a sweater. I decided to do a raglan because I actually understood the patterns, but I"m not doing a cardigan. I'm making a pullover. It's a symmetrical pattern and I don't have to reverse anything because of knitting lefty-handed.

I did learn something, though, in my quest to master the knit front & back stitch. I knit different than other lefties who knit left-handed. My mom learned from a book and I learned from her and the book. I do the way the book says, but every other resource I've come across has different ways. The difference is that I knit through the top part of the stitch and other go through the back. I'm not describing it well, but I was watching videos of lefties on YouTube (how nerdy can you get, using YouTube for knitting help) and noticed the difference. I think the main thing is in how I cast on. But everything works out and I never have twisted stitches so I'll keep on with my way. Everything works out in the end. I've noticed from watching others knit that everyone has their own way of doing it.

I might make mine striped because I'm using a slightly varigated homespun that is in shades of dark teal very much like the background here, and I don't think I have enough and they don't make this shade anymore. So I'm going to take another color, probably a creamy white, in the same homespun and do very wide strips with it. So far it's turning out well and seems to be going faster than when I knit scarves. I often do scarves in the round because they're so much warmer and thicker and it seems like it takes forever to finish one, but this is quite satisfying seeing the pattern come to life,

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  18:59:45  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Photos, Jo!

Mine is going well - separated the sleeves from the back/front successfully, but there are quite big loops which I think is just because of the tightness of my knitting. I showed it to my knitty friend and she said not to worry, just to stitch it up when it's all done.

I think I'll add a bit of waist shaping too. And finally, finally I have mastered the buttonholes! I kind of made up how to do them, but now they look the same.

Edited by - Myf on 06/07/2007 19:00:13
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  16:38:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll try to get photos soon. I keep borrowing my sister's camera (mine is no longer working) but she keeps taking it back because I'm lazy and never get around to actually using it. I should just go buy another.

I took it off the needles today because I was done with the dark teal and wanted to know how it was going so far. It's almost ready to separate the arms, but I need a few more rows. I was quite impressed by my work! I've never done any project with increases before and didn't know how it would turn out and it's really nice. I've shocked myself. Now I have to run to the store and get a coordinating color. I have another ball of the dark teal, but I want to start my stripes. I just don't know if I should go with white, cream, or try to match one of the dark colors in the variegated teal. The only problem with the last choice is I don't know if the dark stripes will show up against the dark variegated. I'll run over and see what they actually have available in the yarn and then make my decision.

I have to practice the shaping on a smaller side project first because I don't want to mess it up. I'm also a little worried about separating the sleeves, but hopefully it will work out.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2007 :  16:49:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, a dark, chocolate brown goes nicely with teal.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2007 :  20:06:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it were me I'd have to go for charcoal grey or perhaps a deep purple-- brown and I don't go well together, generally speaking.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2007 :  22:00:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked a cream with flecks of shades of brown in it. The variegated teal has shades ranging from green to blue and everything in between and created wide stripes. The color I picked is subtly in the teal so hopefully it will look alright. I started the strip and it looks fine so far.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  07:23:20  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Any good hints for shaping the body of the cardy around the waist? Again, my crappy pattern doesn't help.

I was away for 3 days (long weekend) and didn't get a bit of knitting done! I thought I would have loads of time. :( But there's a button shop here in town which has a big sale on at the moment (apparently, they're all sold by the kilo and it works out at 3c per button. Hooray! I will go and select some lovely crimson buttons for the project.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  13:41:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I might not do shaping. I have an issue with it. I'm looking at three differnet patterns and all have the same shaping k2tog, sm, ssk. I knit backwards to right-hander, so would I do the ssk and then k2tog? I'm going to have to think about it.

Edited:
I think I found my answer. When I k2tog my stitches slant to the left and when I do ssk they slant to the right (opposite of righties) so if the pattern calls for k2tog, sm, ssk then I should do ssk, sm, k2tog to have the decreases leaning into each other, right? Am I processing this correctly? I'll work it out on scrap first.

Edited by - Jokelly on 06/11/2007 14:00:31
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  14:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds right to me Jo.

Shaping is usually done just as Jo says, with ssk, slip the marker, k2tog. There are also permutations of this where there is a knit stitch on either side of the marker to make the decreases spaced a little further apart on the row. They are worked that way for exactly the reason Jo noticed, too. The ssk appears to slant one way and the k2tog go the other. The number of rows worked between these decreases will determine how sharp the angle of the shaping is and the number of decreases determines how narrow the garment becomes. The best way I can think of to do this on the fly is to take your measurements and figure out how sharp the cut needs to be. The tank top I just finished decreased 2 stitches at each side mark every eighth row 3 times (a total of 12 stitches over 24 rows) then worked 12 rows straight and did the whole thing in reverse (increasing instead of decreasing) to make the outward flare. This made for a gentle curve.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  23:53:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My sweater is on slow-down. I put it on string like your supposed to so if I could see if it needs a few more rows or if it's fine. I did this before and everything went okay, but this time my string broke! I don't know how, but it did. So I had to go through and pick up all my dropped stitches. It was a nightmare and took me three days to fix. But everything seems fine now. Luckily, most of the stitches stayed on the broken thread, but it was still a chore. I ended up having to take a row out and now I'm back on track. I was worried about the color change, but my sister saw it today and said it looked great, so I'm going forward with the design. Hopefully, I won't have the broken string happen again. I'll now use the elastic cord that came with the knitting machine I have to hold stitches.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  13:52:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Urg, what a pain that must have been, Jo!

My latest project is about to slow down a bit, too, but only because I have to learn how to do the crochet edging for around the armholes and neck. Never fear, though, I've started another sweater to work on while at Daughter's Karate lessons. I usually have two projects going. One that is simple and therefore easier to keep track of while at class and one that I work on at home. It's nice to have variety.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  16:57:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know how to crochet, Siobhan? I can just do the chain. I have never been able to get beyond that. I hear everyone say how much easier it is than knitting, but not for me. Someday, I'd like to conquer it and make a granny square afghan.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  20:17:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I can crochet, I just don't feel proficient at it. My tension is a bit wonky and I can never keep the stitches straight-- basically nothing that a good bit of practice won't fix. The problem is time, or more precisely, the lack thereof. I just don't have time to do all the things I would like to, so I have to place limitations on myself.

I have a pattern for a skirt in granny squares. Would look really cute with a Molly Weasley sweater (the one from the movie with the cool sleeves-- which I have a pattern for). Would be a great way to use up leftover yarn. That's what I loved about Molly's sleeves. It looked like she had made them as a sampler of knit stitches with all the leftover scraps from her family's sweaters. After all Molly knows how to get her knuts-worth.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  01:11:32  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Gah! I started working out how to shape the waist as I was knitting during the week - and completely forgot to knit in the buttonhole! (And I bought such lovely crimson buttons for the cardy, they'll be a feature so I'd hate them to be all mis-spaced). Anyway, I had to unravel FOUR rows (that's about 160 stitches per row), dropping stitches all over the place, THEN realised I'd gone two rows too far, so had to re-knit them, while untwisting all the stitches I'd put back on the needles the wrong way. So all the knitting I wanted to do last night turned into me just fixing a problem and ending up where I started.

Still, the buttonhole is in the right place now. And the shaping is going well too.

I finished a little scarf I made for my baby niece. It's adorned with buttons for her to play with, and is secured with one big button so she can't fling it off. I'll have to take a photo of her to show you guys. It's very cute.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  19:32:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about the ripping out, Myf. I know it's annoying, but when the error is going to bug you, it's worth it to go ahead and fix it. Some errors are easy enough to miss and no one will ever know. I tend to be picky, though. If I know there's a mistake, I'll always remember it.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.