Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  04:18:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw a comment somewhere that DH was the only American Cover that continued onto the back, but there is artwork over the entire cover of all the US editions, including the inside flaps. When I get my books for the first time I sit and stare at all the details on the back and inside flaps.

I also like all the artwork at the beginning of each chapter in the US editions.

Here is the back of Chamber of Secrets. The artwork continues onto the inside flaps, the spine, and front. This is the only back cover I could find.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 04/06/2007 04:24:51
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  08:09:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, the whole covers won't fit on my scanner, so here are a couple borrowed from Leaky:

OotP Deluxe Edition:

HBP Deluxe Edition

I couldn't find full scans of the rest, so I had to settle for some quick photos. Sorry about the quality; our camera is ordinary and some of the covers are in bad shape. Also, I couldn't get SS because my daughter taped it to the book!

Edited to add SS Cover (Thanks to daughter who carefully removed it from the book ):

CoS:

PoA:

GoF:

OotP:

HBP:

And to finish the set:

DH:

Edited by - n/a on 04/06/2007 09:15:47
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  11:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that Pesky has all of the covers out I really notice the similarities between the first and last covers. They both have the same feel with the shades of gold prevalent through both. I know the curtains have been mentioned, but it really stands out seeing both at the same time. Plus, could the arches the same?

Go to Top of Page

Burtnnator07
Addled

72 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  12:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(Wow, it's been a long time since I've posted, much less felt like I had anything new to say about HP. It's nice to be back )

I also love the similarities between the first and last covers. It just feels so wonderfully full-circle.

However, the arches seem strange to me. I originally assumed that the arches were in the Dept. of Mysteries around the veil. I just looked that part up and there are only stone benches laid out like a ampitheater, with the single arch supporting the veil. They are also remarkably similar to the arches and curtains in the first cover.

Now, there is all this speculation of Harry and Voldemort being near the veil or beyond the veil. Is it possible we are reading into it, because Grand Pre decided to mirror the first cover?

Surely she would not have known about the arches and veil in a pivotal scene in DH when she designed the cover for SS. I mean, I suppose it's possible, but not likely.

What do yall think? Are the arches and curtains/veil simply neat artistic elements put in by Grand Pre, or are they representative of the actual scenery of a scene in the book?

I'm Ginger from way back in the days of the Banana Boards =D
Go to Top of Page

Treefrog
Addled

Australia
88 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  12:46:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diri,

this is the best thread about HP covers ever.
Well done.
*hugs*

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  14:57:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Pixie deserves half the credit by now.

Now that I see the covers in their entirety, I concede that they are, in fact, loaded with detail. I still loathe the GoF cover, but my appreciation for the first three covers has increased markedly. Nice to see Sabbers casting a shadow in the corner of the PoA cover.

Re: Snuffles. Isn't it interesting that each of us sees a native breed from his/her own country?

Oh! Siobhan's old HOL link has images of the first three adult German covers. I'd remote link them but I don't think that would work.

http://hol.9cy.com/country6.htm

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 04/06/2007 15:08:57
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  19:41:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha diri, I'm just adding to your wonderful collection. Given the interest in international HP covers, it's very surprising that those whole book jackets weren't out on the net somewhere; they are worth looking at "letterbox."

It's interesting to see how Mary Grand Pre's work has evolved from the multicolored montage-type earlier covers to the more monochromatic, fully-relaized scenes pictured on the more recent covers. I have to agree that GoF is my least favorite of the set, mostly due to Harry's maniacal grin, plus the jumbled composition of the rest of it.

Do you notice that on the last four covers, the bacground images around and above Harry's head scoop down and around to almost create a halo? This characteristic is most evident in the DH cover, where the golden sky accentuates the halo effect. It's probably just an artist's device to direct attention toward Harry, but it's interesting nonetheless.
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  00:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Burtnnator/Ginger!

I've never particularly liked the American covers, but I never really disliked them either. This is sort of weird, but I love looking at my bookshelf and seeing the UK books in order with all the colours lined up. I have all the American audio versions as well, and when thy're lined up it just doesn't have the same effect. I've also never really been a fan of the writing on the US versions.

Anyway, I don't have a particular problem with GoF, but I've always really disliked SS (and never understood what was so wrong with "Philosopher"), but I like how the final cover has some similarities. I love that Harry is reaching for something in both of them

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  00:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you notice that Mary Grand Pre draws Harry as left-handed? Being a lefty, I noticed this years ago with he GoF cover, but as when rereading the series I think it gives reference to him being right-handed. How cool would it have been if Harry was lefty! I wonder if Mary Grand Pre is a southpaw? We need more lefties. We're quite the minority.

Edited by - Jokelly on 04/07/2007 00:09:44
Go to Top of Page

Treefrog
Addled

Australia
88 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  00:58:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*hugs* for Pixie too.

I have a request...

Now we need someone with heaps of time to start a new thread with Mary Grand Pre's chapter illustrations in them (or make this one humungous illustrations thread which I think will be too much))- I've only seen the HBP ones once before, and am wondering how much is foreshadowed by having these illustrations. I'd be interested to know what those who read the US editions first thought as you read them - was there much of a hint? Do you like them? Does it work? Why/not?

*hugs to everyone*
Love from Froggy & a little Tadpole who has 3 teeth and is almost sitting up by herself.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  15:26:12  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Diri, this topic just gets better and better. Thanks for the info about the UK artists--I knew there had been changes but couldn't find out who did anything between the first and seventh books.

And it's nice to have all the mary GrandPre covers with front and back. You lose a lot if you can't see the back, as hers is more of a continuous image than the UK ones that show bits and pieces. LOL--the GOF one is my least favorite also, but mainly because Harry is grinning like a fool and it certainly wasn't the way he felt through most of that book. However, the detail on the back is great--showing the dragon, and if you look closely at the hedge (which you can't see in the scan), there are red eyes peering out of it. They are exactly like the red eyes we see on Voldemort on the 7th cover. I find that to be a nice bit of consistency on the part of the artist.

I actually like the way Fleur looks--LOL. I see it as giving her that ethereal look that I imagine a veela would have, with her hair blowing around.

But anyway--this is great. I love it. And I agree with you about the US covers--the last three are the best and have just gotten better and better.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  20:47:32  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Y'all should really download the Bloomsbury kid's screen saver. It is so different than the other ones they had--this one only has cover art from the 7th book--and most of it is what's not on the front cover--with an extended view of the back. Quite interesting--plus that stone arch they are going through on the front is shown as a circle on the screen saver--are they falling into the Pensieve, perhaps? Anyway--take a look.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  18:47:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We must have started a trend here, because a couple of weeks ago Scholastic added all the full US covers to their website, too! These pics are so much better than my bad snapshots; they even feature a magnifying tool that lets you zoom in on the details. http://www.scholastic.com/harrypotter/books/covers/
Go to Top of Page

SweetPea
Addled

Canada
184 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  10:56:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look at all the covers has made me even more excited! I love all the details. I remember when OotP was coming out, and we all thought that Tonks was a boy on the back cover, lol.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  16:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  17:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and Jokelly, you were right about the Italian translations. I just read an interview with Jo Rowling where she tutted the Italian translator for getting the wrong end of the stick with Dumbledore's name. Dumbledore means bumblebee, as she rightly pointed out, but apparently the Italian translator thought, for reasons best known to himself, that his name was a play on "dumb" and so christened him "Professore Silencio," which, as Rowling said exasperatedly, pretty much completely misinterpreted his character.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  05:46:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yet another great Dutch cover. Love the way it captures the exact moment Harry hits the water.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  16:34:51  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The dragon is so realistic, but I find the patronus doe strange in the middle of Rowling's name. Bambi just looks silly next to the tough old dragon.

The illustrator also was pretty sneaky to make what was actually a safe moment in the book look so dangerous. Flying the dragon out of Gringotts was one of the high points of the book for me, and judging by the number of illustrators who chose to portray that it may be for lots of others, too.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

mistertibbs
Giddy

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  23:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diri, I may have missed it, but where is that dragon picture from?

I really like the Ukraine 3rd and fourth books, but HATE the German editions. It looks like Harry has a bad hair dye and looks like he's going "Hmmmmm"...

~Tibbs
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  10:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The dragon is from when Harry and Hermione escape from Gringotts, then jump off into a lake

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  15:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like Scholastic will be publishing a 10th Anniversary edition of Sorcerer's Stone with a brand new cover by Mary GrandPre:

Here's a link to the Scholastic site where you can zoom in on both the front and back covers:
http://www.scholastic.com/harrypotter/books/covers/art1anniversary.htm

Pretty cool!

Edited by - n/a on 05/20/2008 15:25:57
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  10:07:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool! I wish they would have put Philosopher's Stone as the title with SS in parenthesis below it. It would be so nice to have the changes for the US market removed.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  02:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's with the skull?

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2008 :  13:00:50  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Must be trying to make it feel more "sorcery" or "wizardish."

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2008 :  21:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alas, poor Yorick. I knew him well, Horatio. He was an incredible attention hound.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.