Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  09:54:12  Show Profile Send diricawl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To celebrate the release of the last HP covers, I thought it might be fun to go back and have a look at all the covers of the past, from all over the world. So I went looking for them.

The vast majority of international HP editions use either Bloomsbury or Scholastic's cover art. Occasionally and weirdly, they sometimes use one and then the other, or an original, followed by some combination of the other two. Since I'm pretty sure we've long ago formed our opinions about those versions, I'll just focus on original international cover art. Saves space and time.

Czech cover for book 1. All I can say is, "OOH! Whoops! Get her!"

The Danish covers seem heavily influenced by Scandinavian mythology (as they would be). The first cover shows Harry wielding his wand like a sword in suitably Wagnerian pose. In the second cover he wears a tunic and cloak like a character from Lord of the Rings. The basilisk appears to be rising out of the stormy ocean like a kraken. The monsters resemble classical depictions of trolls, especially the inferi. I have to say, I love Harry's reaction to the Thestrals.

Methinks the Finnish illustrator has been reading a bit too much Lewis Carroll.

The French covers portray Hogwartians in very French terms, doing up their robes in trim Madeline style. Even Hogwarts looks like a villiage in the Dordogne.

Lord only knows what's going on in the first German cover. I'm not even sure why it exists, since a perfectly serviceable German cover for book 1 is already evident. The subsequent covers appear to have been drawn by a different illustrator, and at least have some bearing on reality, though why said illustrator decided to depict Harry as Natalie Imbruglia in rehab is beyond me.

Here's Hungary's only original cover. Again, what's with Harry being a drug addict?

Oh now come on! Iceland's Harry may not look stoned, but he sure looks completely sloshed.

As if Iran didn't already have enough means to scare us, they've gone and turned Harry into Freddy Kreuger and Hogwarts into the Haunted Mansion.

OK. What books what the Italian guy reading when he came up with these covers? They obviously weren't Harry Potter.

Japan's covers have been rightly praised for their haunting, dark and impressionistic qualities. For some reason I can't quite grasp, they remind me of CS Lewis in melancholy mood.

Which brings us to The Netherlands. Ah, the Dutch covers! I'm not sure why I love them so much; maybe it's the movie buff in me- their photorealistic, cinematic qualities appeal to me. The images, especially in the later ones, appear like snapshots of time; moments caught in light. The Dutch "Goblet of Fire" is probably my single favourite Harry Potter cover ever.

The Portuguese covers are quite nice, though they seem skewed a bit young. The second one seems to have drawn inspiration from whatever book the Italian guy was reading:

There are quite a lot of Spanish covers, and I have no idea which ones are "official". So I'll just list them all. Not clear on the differences. Are they "kiddie" and "adult" versions? None look particularly adult to me.

I don't even know where this belongs:

In all honesty, I don't think that's all of them.

I've always found Sweden's covers vaguely disturbing. Viewing them is a bit like looking at the HP universe through a slightly warped mirror, so that everything seems not quite right, perhaps just a touch evil:

I'd never seen Ukraine's covers before now, and I have to say they're quite nice. Everyone seems to be having a great time, which is a bit strange, but hey why not?

and now we come to that most idiosyncratic of cover-publishing nations, Vietnam. Apparently, the chopped the first three books up into 22 bits and gave each bit a separate cover. Only found a few so far, but it doesn;t really look they have anything to do with what's actually in the books:

Before I close, I just wanted to mention those much decried editions, the UK adult covers. Now I know, they look like they belong on anthologies of Tracy Emin poetry, but, weirdly, I think they are more British than the "official" versions. Plain, in your face, industrial bleak greyscale. Who needs fantasy? This is how life is!

Confusingly, there now appear to be two different UK adult editions. Only these new ones have abandoned "depressing" in favour of "bloody creepy."

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 06/08/2007 16:57:40

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  11:20:03  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Diri, thanks for this amazing tour through the covers. Your analysis was spot on! I can even kind of see what you mean by the ones that remind you of a pensive C.S. Lewis. The Danish and Dutch covers are marvelous. And I must admit I had no idea that HP had made it to Vietnam and Iran. That is pretty amazing.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  11:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are just the countries that use original covers. The HP novels have been translated into at least 63 languages, which places them up near the Bible.

Just realised I'd forgotten to put the Finnish PoA in. So in it goes.

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 03/30/2007 12:12:54
Go to Top of Page

U-No-Poo
Addled

133 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  15:57:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I can explain the Spanish covers. The main ones, which you see in all the bookshops in Spain and Latin America are the 6th-11th covers, from Salamandra publishing company, which are also used by Peru. The first two I'd never seen before, but apparently they are a special edition that belongs to Circulo de Lectores. The third, fourth and fifth are from the Valencian and Catalan editons, Empuries publishing company. The last one I really can't help you with.
By the way, there is also an adult german cover

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  17:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow. Thanks a lot diri, those were great! I really liked the Dutch and Ukraine ones (even if they are smiling stupidly in all of them)

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  18:53:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a link to the old cover gallery from the HP Galleries.
http://hol.9cy.com/covergallery.htm

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  19:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, diri! It's fun to see how different artists interpret the same material. They run the gamut from awful to wonderful. My favorites are the Japanese covers.
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  19:28:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. How much of the old Galleries do you have on your server Siobhan? Some of that information is gold dust; we could reconstruct a very nice site with it.

EDIT: Didn't see you post before me, Pesky. So tell me, which is the MOST awful?

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 03/31/2007 03:11:14
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  04:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The worst in my opinion are the Italian in general. The worst individual cover is the one from Iceland (if there were the rest of the series I would probably say it was the worst, but thankfully it seems that after that first one they decided to use another country's). I'm also not a huge fan of Germany's. I really don't like the odd picture of Harry at the forefront. I don't particularly like Finland's either. I really hate the way the characters are drawn. And does anybody else think it looks like Harry and Hermione are kissing on the cover of PoA?

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - Cour_Delafleur on 03/31/2007 04:13:09
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  05:28:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed that too. Wonder if the artist was a shipper?

I just added the adult OotP cover; and thanks to Siobhan's link I expanded on the Vietnamese covers.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 03/31/2007 08:45:34
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  13:46:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't care for the French covers. They're too simplicity and imply a juvenility that isn't really present in the books. The Finnish ones are odd and I don't know what the Italian illustrator was reading. Makes we wonder about how good the translation into Italian really was.

There are adult covers in U.S. paperback, but at the moment I have no idea what they look like. I've never gotten them, but have seen them in the stores.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  16:20:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diricawl

Wow. How much of the old Galleries do you have on your server Siobhan? Some of that information is gold dust; we could reconstruct a very nice site with it.
It's not on my server. I just happened upon that one day. There may be more of the old galleries out there, I've just not looked.

Is it me, or are the later books' art showing Harry looking more like Dan Radcliffe?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  16:48:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

Is it me, or are the later books' art showing Harry looking more like Dan Radcliffe?

I can see it. But to me, Daniel is almost exactly how I imagined Harry, with a few small differences (darker hair, green eyes, etc.). His performances aren't quite how I imagined Harry, but that's not anything he can change because we all have different opinions or views of Harry from the books.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  17:14:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think all the HP books have been affected by the movies. This has got to be the first book series to be filmed before it's even finished.

I think I overloaded my old post, so I'm going to try reposting the Vietnam covers here:

Well that didn't work...

Weird thing is, they're there. All you have to do is right click on the broken image icon, click on "view image" and there it is.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 04/06/2007 15:38:28
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  17:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't picture Dan at all when I read, or any of the other actors. I've been able to keep the movies completely separate in my mind from the books. But I have noticed that the artwork is looking more and more like him.

Diri, do a google search of HP Galleries and some of the old pages come up.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 03/31/2007 17:22:53
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  19:22:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh! We get to pick the worst covers too? I feel like Cojo at the Oscars...

OK, I think the Finnish covers are bizarre ... I couldn't come up with that stuff in my nightmares. The Iranian covers are hideous (am I forgetting the tiger in PoA?), and some of the Spanish covers look like a bad Saturday-morning cartoon show. The Danish covers look as if they were influenced a bit by Mad Magazine. But I love the Japanese and Dutch covers. I even find the French ones artistic, even it they are a bit juvenile.

Speaking of how the artists choose to interpret the material, here are a couple of great interviews with Mary GrandPre about her work on the Harry Potter series:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7127158/

http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/full_story/638
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  03:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I think the Finnish covers are bizarre ... I couldn't come up with that stuff in my nightmares.

Agreed, though I do find Sweden's covers more nightmarish than Finland's.

quote:
The Iranian covers are hideous (am I forgetting the tiger in PoA?)

Or that little mustachioed guy on fire running across the PS cover?

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  05:09:24  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Diri, you come up with some of the best ways to celebrate HP events. I loved seeing all the covers--I remember seeing them when they came out, but having them in one place, it's easier to compare. And your comments are spot on. I like the US and UK versions, partly because that's what I'm used to seeing. But I also like the Dutch ones, and I'm not sure why either. Most of the others are either just too weird or too scary or look like they were done by a 6 year old.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  06:38:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I wasn't such a niggler; every time I make a change to the original post, the forum says I posted and pushes the topic to the top of the list, so to stop people getting confused I have to make a post.

Thanks Eeyore . Weird and scary pretty much sums up a lot of those covers for me too.

Just for completeness's sake, I thought I'd give my thoughts on the UK/US editions.

The UK editions have always been a mixed bag, mainly because, unlike most other nations, no one illustrator has done all of them. Some have been great, some terrible. Nowhere is this wild variance in quality more evident than with the first ever HP cover:

Done by Thomas Taylor in 1997, one has to assume that he lacked the enthusiasm for his subject shown by later artists. As far as I'm aware, this cover is the only one to undergo substantial subsequent alteration to fix gross factual and artistic errors. When originally released it's back cover looked like this:

It wasn't until years later that I found out that that scholarly fellow was in fact meant to be Dumbeldore. This surprised me, because this meant that Thomas Taylor was either illiterate or psychic: I have no idea how he anticipated the revelation in CoS that in his youth, Dumbledore had auburn hair.

Regardless, and probably at Rowling's behest, her power to affect her publishers having somewhat increased in the interim, Thomas Taylor constrained his creativity and submitted a more standardised version for later editions:

None of this, however, affected the front image, which is a shame, because I hate it, with it's eye-bending lack of perspective, chaotic confusing details, and above all, a Harry who looks like a snot-nosed caricature of Little Lord Fontelroy.

Later editions did some work to repair the damage, opening up the edges and therefore at least making it easier to physically look at:

For CoS, Bloomsbury ditched Taylor and went for the far more understated Cliff Wright. I like this image; uniquely for any HP cover, it actually seems to take place in the real world. Harry and Ron look and act exactly like real adolescent boys out for a joyride through the country in Dad's car.

I do like the back cover but I think Wright tried too hard to make Hogwarts into a castle in the clouds:

Wright returned again for book three. Why they didn't keep him on is beyond me. This is far and away my favourite British HP cover. It's not my favourite PoA cover (Japan's tops it by a hair) but it is easily the best of the innumerable "Buckbeak" images. Wright was handed about three hundred comments by Rowling to ensure the details were correct, and it shows. Again, note the wonderful attention to everyday detail (Harry's jeans and sneakers dangling from under his wizard robes) and the human elements (Harry is more focused and determined here than I've seen him anywhere, and Hermione is as frightened as she should be- she's also the best Hermione I've seen in any illustration).

The back cover is nice too; very primal Mr. Lupin:

For book 4, they went with Giles Greenfield. This is a good image, but it was clearly meant to be iconic rather than detailed. The obscuring of the surrounding Quidditch pitch by fire and smoke seems like a deliberate ploy to keep readers in the dark, which is a shame. Harry does look good here though, with that same determination (oddly, he also looks a bit like I did at his age)

The back cover is notable mainly for the cuteness that is Pig:

Book 5 was a disaster. OK, I can understand not wanting to reveal too much, but a phoenix? Yes, of course, the book's called "The Order of the Phoenix", but there isn't actually a phoenix in it, so that's a bit of a con, no?

The back cover was, however, a bit more informative:

Book 6 was done by Jason Cockcroft, who also did OotP. I really don't like it. Harry looks like a thirty year old man pretending to be a teenage kid. The expression on his face is one of gormless incomprehension, not fear.

The back cover offers little consolation.

Which brings us to Deathly Hallows. As you can see by the idiotic expression on Harry's face, it was done by Cockcroft again.

There's more going on in this cover than in any other cover to date, but that doesn't make it any better.

The UK books also have a number of "special editions"; either hardcovers "signed" by Jo Rowling:

or "celebratory editions" to mark the sale of 100 million copies of said book:

Well that's it for the UK covers. I'll do US covers tomorrow.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 04/01/2007 09:23:33
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  09:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah. I just found out why Cliff Wright refused to illustrate GoF. Apparently, Bloomsbury lost his original artwork for the Azkaban covers and failed to compensate him properly, so he quit. Rumour has it they were swiped by black marketeers and sold to unscrupulous HP fans. I gotta hand it to him; to refuse to take on the most high-profile illustrating job in the history of literature takes principle.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 04/01/2007 09:18:13
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  10:38:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought the dog on the back of the UK PoA was Snuffles/Sirius not transformed Remus. Was it supposed to be a werewolf?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  11:17:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what I always thought. I always imagined Snuffles looking a bit more like a mastiff.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  04:44:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay! I found the Ukrainian cover for book one and the Japanese cover for book 4! OK, they're kinda small, but never mind.

OK Found better sized picutres. But now it seems that in Japan the later HP books are released in multiple volumes! And, if I'm not mistaken, that's another cover on the second volume! This is not fair.

Where's Crispy when you need him?

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 04/02/2007 05:55:08
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  14:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's what I always thought. I always imagined Snuffles looking a bit more like a mastiff.

I always imagined Snuffles looking like a giant schnauzer, probably because I almost was bitten by one when I was young.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  19:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always thought it was Snuffles. I don't think I've ever even considered that it was Moony. That said, this still isn't how I imagined Snuffles. When they describe how big he is I always think of a Newfoundlander

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - Cour_Delafleur on 04/03/2007 19:25:42
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  13:04:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Danish and the Dutch are my favorite. Ukraine's aren't bad either. The only complaint I have about them is the last two, Harry really looks like Dan.

The absolute worst is Icelands. I mean, Harry looks like the product of a bad one night stand between Sybil Trelawny and Snape.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - dobbygirl on 04/05/2007 13:07:52
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  00:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And now I come to the touchiest subject of all, the US art.

I have nothing against Mary GrandPre's style; I just don't find it particularly original or interesting. She employs a limited palatte of colours and skimps on details, which makes for easy but unsatisfying viewing. I think her later covers from OotP on are her best; she seemed to stretch her capabilities a bit more than usual.

One thing: does anyone else find somewhat peeving the fact that that annoying "lighning" font in the US titles ended up copied in every single international cover? (except Britain's; perhaps there is such a thing as national pride)

The first cover and it's... purple. Not a lot else going on, really.

Perhaps the Fawkesiest Fawkes of all of them, but Harry looks like he's on something and why is the title scrawled into the wall as if done by a bored yob last Tuesday?

The third cover, and it's orange. Otherwise dull. And again, why are Harry and Hermione grinning like they're on a theme park ride?

GoF. I loathe, loathe, loathe this cover. From its bogey-green background to its Fleur who looks vaguely like a head floating in an amniotic sack and its psychotically grinning Harry. It makes me understand why so many people in the US think he's a Satanist. And what the hell is that in front? A bubotuber? Why?

This is more like it; dark, mysterious and hintng of what's inside. Harry actually has a human expression on his face for once.

Again, she outdoes herself here. Unlike the British covers, GrandPre's covers actually get better in the later versions.

Deathly Hallows. Quite simply, GrandPre's masterpiece, and the only US cover I'd place among the best of the internationals. Shame she had to wait until the final book to reach this level.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 04/06/2007 03:17:26
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  01:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

GoF. I loathe, loathe, loathe this cover. From its bogey-green background to its Fleur who looks vaguely like a head floating in an amniotic sack and its psychotically grinning Harry. It makes me understand why so many people in the US think he's a Satanist. And what the hell is that in front? A bubotuber? Why?

I suppose the thing in front could be the tail of the Hungarian Horntail.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  03:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

And now I come to the touchiest subject of all, the US art.

I have nothing against Mary GrandPre's style; I just don't find it particularly original or interesting. She employs a limited palatte of colours and skimps on details, which makes for easy but unsatisfying viewing.

The first cover and it's... purple. Not a lot else going on, really.

Diri, are we looking at the same Mary Grand Pre covers? The deatils are abundant on mine, particulary on the first four.

On the cover of Sorcerer's Stone alone you will find:
- Obviously, Harry on a broom
-Hogwarts
-Fluffy
-a Unicorn
-Dumbledore in a purple cloak (probably delivering baby Harry to Privet Drive)
-an Owl delivering post (probably Harry's Hogwarts letter)
-The Dark Forest
-a Key (perhaps hinting at the broomstick challenge in the dungeon)
-a bludger and a snitch (hinting at Harry's quidditch skills)
-A nightshirted figure sneaking around with a candle (Harry?)

Moving on To CoS we have:
-Obviously, Harry
-Gryffindor's sword
-Fawkes
-the be-serpented entrance to the CoS
-Ron & Ginny being rescued from the Chamber
-Mrs. Norris
-a basilisk skin
-a basilisk eye

quote:
why is the title scrawled into the wall as if done by a bored yob last Tuesday?

It's done that way to imitate the writing in blood on the castle wall that said "The Chamber of Secrets has been Opened. Enemies of the Heir, beware." The writing was done by Ginny, a first year, so one would expect the hand to be fairly plain.

And for PoA:
-obviously, Harry and Hermione on Buckbeack
-a shadowy silhouette of Sirius Black in the window
-a wolf running (possibly Lupin)
-dementors, including one with a hand showing
-Peter Pettigrew in rat form
-Crookshanks
-the Whomping Willow
-the Stag patronus by the lake
-Hagrid's hut

The GoF cover shows not just Harry and the other Champions, but:
-The Goblet of Fire
-The Huge Cauldron where Voldemort was reincarnated
-Voldemort's Red Eyes in the shadows
-The Hungarian Horntail's tail, and wing
-Padfoot
-a Dementor
-a crowd of spectators
-the maze
-the acromantula's legs sticking out of the Maze
-a skrewt (?)
-the Beauxbatons carraige and Abraxans
-a golden egg
-some big blue squiggling tentacles (the giant squid?)

The last three Grand Pre covers are definitely the most artistic, but they actually hold far fewer details than the first four.

Don't forget that Scholastic also published deluxe editions of Books 5 and 6 with exclusive cover art by Grand Pre. If that tradition holds, we should soon be seeing a different, deluxe edition cover for Deathly Hallows also. That would bring the total number of Scholastic covers to ten.

Edited by - n/a on 04/06/2007 08:38:07
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  03:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must confess I have no idea what the back covers to the American editions look like.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  03:40:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, I'm looking for images of the American covers in their entirety, and I can't find any (so far), except for DH. The other covers are similar in that you really have to see the whole thing, including the wings, to appreciate the composition and details. The DH cover is still definitely the best, though. Maybe I'll come back later and add some scans.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.