Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  18:45:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex, your board is still great for a backup. We wouldn't have this current board if it wasn't for your place.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  19:00:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Alex! It's great to see old familiar faces again, even if you are all younger than me! Glad you found us again.

As for me, I probably should get packing because I leave for Florida on Friday, and I haven't even dragged my bags out from under the bed yet. Nothing like waiting till the last minute. Hubby has a conference in Orlando and I'm tagging along for one last blast of sunshine before winter. Six whole childfree days!

Edited by - n/a on 10/24/2006 19:01:08
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  22:21:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have fun in Florida, Pesky Pixie.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
Giddy

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  22:06:27  Show Profile  Send Alex an AOL message  Reply with Quote
thanks everyone!

glad I found you too...

I just read about 200 pages about the conquest of "New Spain" and I am pooped. but Lost is tonight! so at least I'm done!
I forgot how great this place is when you need to procrasinate!

~alex
Go to Top of Page

SweetPea
Addled

Canada
184 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  22:15:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooo, did you watch LOST? What did you think?

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  00:10:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Alex! Glad to see you.

I'm so jealous, Pixie! I need to get away....

I just started a full-time contract job that is about 45 minutes away from home through traffic so I've been doing the whole traffic plus work slog this week - I'm TIRED. It's been a while since I've fought rush hour traffic every day, I come home and want to go to bed.. at 6pm.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Alex
Giddy

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  00:52:06  Show Profile  Send Alex an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ya, I watched Lost. I don't know, what do you think? My brother thinks they are going to tell us everything in the next two episodes, but he didn't have time to tell me his reasons. I'm still so frustrated with the slow pace, but last night was a good episode...more mind tricks!

I wanna go to florida too. or an island. I've never been to an island...

~alex
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
Giddy

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  02:09:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone! I suck about posting lately, but I am still here! :) I really should post more often, after all I've been with you people for nearly 5 years now, across various boards.

Responding to stuff from a couple pages back:

I had to have my two lower wisdom teeth out last month. One of them had a bad cavity and I suppose I could have had it filled, but since wisdom teeth tend to be pulled anyway I decided to just get rid of it. And the other lower one could have waited awhile, but it was growing in kind of crooked, and I didn't want my mouth to be asymmetrical, so I got it pulled. I don't have insurance at all right now, but at least I found a dentist with reasonable rates, and it's cheaper when wisdom teeth can just be pulled, as opposed to full oral surgery. I'll probably need the top ones out at some point, but I'll do it when I have insurance.

And as for student loans, unless I get some fantabulous job it looks like I'll be paying them off till well into my 40s. :(

Speaking of jobs, I still can't find one. I've come to realize I probably won't find the kind I'm looking for locally, so I've expanded my search, figuring I'll have to move to a bigger city to find what I want. At this point I'm mainly looking in Chicago and Kansas City. Hopefully this will lead to finding something in the near future.
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  06:15:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found that having wisdom teeth, even if they haven't grown in properly, is very useful. It means they can grow in when you lose another molar, and you don't end up with a gap! That's happened twice to me so far, and I still have two "backup" wisdom teeth, one of which hasn't grown in at all, on the other side.

Lost half a tooth the other day, by the way, I thought my pasta was a bit crunchy ...

Don't remind me of student loans. My ex has remortgaged his house 3 times (for no other reason than being able to buy useless and expensive gadgets) and can now no longer afford to support our son if he ever went to uni. He's quite happy to get him into debt, obviously. You'd have thought he'd learned after he took out an unnecessary student loan to buy a fancy computer and realised it'll take him years to pay it back ...

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  06:46:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your ex sounds like my dad. In fifty years, no fixed abode, no legal employment, no fixed income and, when debts accrue, up sticks and move on. Is there some kind of gene that makes people behave this way?

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  07:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's part of British culture, really. People quite happily get over their ears into debt. One day it'll all collapse.

I may be renting a horrible little badly heated & insulated slug-infested house, but I have no debts whatsoever. And somehow that feels much better than having it all and having to pay off debts, probably because it was drummed into me that being in debt was shameful.

Strangely enough, I have a bad credit record!

Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  17:47:11  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I know a British guy who always seems to get into debt with things he doesn't need. It's quite amazing the level of thought that hasn't gone into his purchases.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  18:35:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a cheapskate. I hate spending money. Even when I was little and my older siblings wanted to borrow money I would make them sign contracts to pay me back. They didn't like it and so I was often the last resort. But they would pilfer it so I got sneaky and cut a tiny hole in seam of a stuffed animal and stashed it in there. I also used to hide it in picture frames in the space between the canvas and the frame. Nobody ever found my hiding places. You have to be creative when you're the youngest.

Go to Top of Page

jlg881
Giddy

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  19:31:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone! I have found it. I know that this is off the topic line currently going but I saw this and thought of you guys. The next time someone brings up that Harry is magical and bad for you this should be your response:

Books with magic

Regarding your editorial "When Harry met Satan," if we are to ban books that contain references to magic, my suggestion would be to start with the Bible. What could be more magic than parting a sea, impregnating a virgin or changing water to wine? Calling them "miracles" doesn't make them any more likely to have actually happened than any of Harry Potter's spells.

Doug Taylor
Brookfield

This was on the opionion page in the Chicago Tribune. I never quite thought about it that way. What do you think?

(I am not sure if this is where it should go. If it should be else where please feel free to move it.)

Order of the Bookmark

"I love magic!" - Harry in GOF
Go to Top of Page

devika
Giddy

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  10:44:22  Show Profile  Send devika an AOL message  Click to see devika's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
man, i haven't been here in awhile.

i took this children's lit class for my english elective, since we were going to read harry potter and the philosopher's stone.

the two days we discuss the darn book, i of course skip.

i should have taken film and literature instead.
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  16:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's bloomin' cold tonight. I'm sitting here in a very thick woollen cardy, and my teeth are chattering.

Will ... not ... switch ... heater ... on ... must ... save ... on ... bills ....

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  19:20:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's pretty warm here today. Everyone had trick-or-treating on Saturday and it was cold, rainy, and high winds. Today, actually Halloween, the weather was pretty nice and warm for PA in late October. We had our first snow last week, though. It was only flurries and nothing stuck, but it was here.

For some reason I'm really in a Christmassy mood this year. I'm never in a Christmassy mood. This is strange. I'm not putting up the big tree this year, though. Last two years I've had the big tree out because it was weird without my mom and the big tree seemed like something normal. But this year I think I'm ready for the small tree. We have a tabletop white tree, but I'm actually going to just use the top of our big Christmas tree. Yes, that sounds weird, but it's in one big piece and can be used as a small one. I'm going to get out all our animated toys and put them all out. So even though I'm putting up the small tree, the living room will probably be more decorated than usual. Plus, I just don't want to mess with those pesky Christmas lights that go on the tree. I vow I will never buy an unlit tree again. All this won't go up until December, though. My sister usually puts hers up on Thanksgiving night. I usually wait till the last minute.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  19:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not planning on a tree this year. We are going to Seattle for Christmas, so there's not much point. I usually go all out for the holidays (Halloween onwards) and intend to do some of my usual Christmas stuff. Daughter may be a bit disappointed, if I don't though.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  06:45:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I managed not to switch the heater on, I went to bed early with a hot water bottle.

No tree this year, I'm in Holland for most of Christmas anyway.

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  14:55:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know the best way to ask an employer for a raise? How do you start off asking for one?
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  15:07:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know. All my jobs, except for babysitting as a teenager, have been set pay scale so I've never asked for a raise.

Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  06:28:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JKRisSuperior

Does anyone know the best way to ask an employer for a raise? How do you start off asking for one?

I have no idea. In my job the labour union is doing that for me.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
Giddy

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  02:30:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today is my FIVE YEAR anniversary with HPG! Amazing to think I've known some of you for half a decade. I was still a teenager when I joined, and only a few months into my first year of college.

Hehe, how many different boards have we gone through in that time?
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  09:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy anniversary, Sarah! That's pretty cool that you remember the exact date you joined. I don't know the exact date I joined, but know it was around early April. I think we've gone through four or five boards, and two contingency boards.

http://www.jibjab.com/nuckin_futs

Here is the latest JibJab video. It is a look back at 2006.

Edited by - JKRisSuperior on 12/15/2006 11:04:11
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  14:20:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy HPG anniversary, Sarah! I've been here since... hmmm... I can't really remember. Just goes to show how institutionalised I am.

Ah, I remember now - I was 16 when I joined. Egads!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  03:58:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just know that HPG has accompanied me through two state exams, a master degree and a rather tiring job hunt.

I was in Scotland last week and I think I discovered Hogsmead railway station. I must admit that for me as a muggle it was rather boring, because everything that was to be seen was railway station miles from anywhere, a closed restaurant and a semi derelicted house. But of course I was aware that a witch or wizzard would have been able to see all the magic shops, restaurants, houses and magical creatures that crowded the place. :-)

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  16:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought Hogsmeade station was in Yorkshire?

Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  04:47:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sure that the MOM wants to trick us all into believing Hogsmeade was indeed in Yorkshire, but I am sure that I found the real Hogsmeade station :-)

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD

Edited by - Unicorn8 on 12/20/2006 04:48:14
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  16:57:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's Goathland station, isn't it? That's in the Yorkshire Dales.

Wiki says:

quote:
Scenes involving Hogsmeade Station in the Harry Potter films were shot at Goathland railway station on the North York Moors Railway, built in 1865 and virtually unchanged, that serves the village of Goathland in the North Yorkshire Moors.

The Yorkshire tourist board agrees.

But they're all Muggles, of course ...

Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  03:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The place that I was talking about is Rannoch Station in the Scottish Highlands.
http://www.rannochstation.net/

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.