Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  02:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hpbailz

..I feel ashamed when i realise a lot of people's commitment to this place...

Ah! How appropos! Are we commited.. or should we be committed? I think the answer is obvious. Look how many of us brag of our own insanity! Nice to see you, Bailz and Hedwig!

Sorry 'bout the dental work, Ben - I think I have more invested in my teeth than in my retirement account. That's bad.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  15:35:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate to think about how much I've paid out in dental work. Root canals are highway robbery. Research shows that the average root canal with cap lasts only a few years. I had to get two back molars pulled because it would have cost me about $4,000 for just two root canals. One dentist wanted to do a few more root canals, I got a second opinion and I ended up not needing it. I think some dentists just do them to get the money. I cringe everytime I go to the dentist.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  19:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yikes. I hate going to the dentist. Ben, I was told the same thing about three years ago and I've been working on getting everything fixed slowly but surely since then. The problem is, we fix the big (painful) problems first and put off the small ones until I can afford to fix them too. By the time I get to them, they've become big problems anyway. In the past three years I've had three root canals and five crowns, plus four more fillings. I have one rear molar that's waiting for a crown right now ... but I can't afford it until next year when my insurance rolls over again. By then the buildup will need drilled and filled again *sigh* and I'm sure the one next to it will need a crown too. There goes next year's insurance limit. I hate to think of the ones I've already had done going bad ... but just as soon as I get everything else fixed that's just what's going to happen.

I wish I was like my grandmother who never even needed a filling until she was 90. She turns 103 next month and still has all her teeth! Amazing.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  21:11:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I wish I was like my grandmother who never even needed a filling until she was 90. She turns 103 next month and still has all her teeth! Amazing.

Yeah, while I've had practically every tooth in my mouth filled. I read that there is an increase in cavities due to people drinking bottled water now. They're not getting the fluoride they were with tap water. That's part of my problem. I grew up with natural spring water, no fluoride, plus it's just genetics. My neice is faithfully takes care of her teeth and gets cavities. Her brother has to be forced to brush his teeth and never gets them. She's always complaining about how unfair it is. I told her she just inherited it from our side of the family.

Edited by - Jokelly on 09/06/2006 21:12:02
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  22:14:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I saw my dentist a couple of weeks ago, he said I should get the only wisdom tooth I have pulled out. The tooth is halfway in, and halfway out of my gum, and is tilted so it is almost in front of the tooth next to it. This could be a time bomb waiting to go off as this creates a pocket where an infection can grow. I will meet with an oral surgeon on the 25th to evaluate what needs to be done, and how it should be done.
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  22:57:12  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, I will be seeking a second opinion after my consultation with the guy next Friday. I wonder if it wouldn't just be better to file down the offending teeth and not worry about it ever again...
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  07:38:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By gum!

I feel like I should make a dentist appointment.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

hedwig444
Giddy

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  12:47:16  Show Profile  Visit hedwig444's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I avoided the dentist for years. I went thinking that I'd need loads of work done and get told off for not looking after them but he said I'd been the highlight of his day and he knew he could count on me to have good teeth (!). I had root canal done when I was 11 after a tooth was damaged in an accident and I was sure I'd need to get the crown replaced but apparantly not. I'll not hold my breath on it lasting another 2yrs though.

No idea how I'll afford it when I do need to replace it. I don't have any health insurance due to the NHS. I think a lot of people are in a simlar position in this country and forget that dental work costs.

Worse comes to the worst I'll go to the Dental Hospital - get a student to give me free work *ouch*

Wiggy xx
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  14:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dentists are scary!

There is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge spider on my balcony. It's been there for almost a week and I don't know how I can convince it to move to my neighbours.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  15:57:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the problem, Wiggy, people are scared. I know of dental hygenists who have lectured their patients and embarrassed them. I heard one once yell at this man. She never said anything to me, but I never went back there again. I don't want a lecture when I go to the dentist. Yes, I know I need work, that's why I go. I like the guy I go to. He's never judgemental and not big on chit-chat. I'm shopping for new dental insurance and trying to find a carrier that he accepts, which isn't easy. I really don't want to switch dentists. I need front tooth and a back tooth worked on and I know I need at least one root canal, which will cost over $1,000 with insurance. My plan is just to get one thing worked on at a time. He'll have to wait a few months to do the root canal. One day I'm going to be in the wrong mood and tell him to pull them all.

Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  13:52:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just payed back my student loan. I saved as much money as I could during the last months and now I could finally pay it back! Of course, I still dont have a table, chairs and a wardrobe in my flat, but at least I have no outstanding debts anymore!

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD

Edited by - Unicorn8 on 09/14/2006 13:53:20
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  13:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job on paying off your debts, U8!
Go to Top of Page

LoriAnne
Giddy

4 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  21:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
**boggles** Congrats on paying off your loans. I bow down to you.

My poor loans are still coming in at $67000ish. I won't pay those off for another 20 years.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  01:19:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're back, LoriAnne. :) You missed Treefrog having her baby.

I only have about $3,500 left to pay off. I didn't have to take that much out so I have good portion paid off already. It also helped that I had a tuition waiver for grad school. Still, fees and books drained my savings. It should be paid off completely in a few years.

Go to Top of Page

LoriAnne
Giddy

4 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  13:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did hear about the Treefroglet. Very exciting.

I've been lurking around. I just haven't been posting. I constantly want to talk about my job or the boy's adventures out West but I can't and other than the wedding there isn't much going on in my life. And I've found that people don't want to hear my wedding planning details ad nauseum so hence the lurking, lol.
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  14:00:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hop on over to the Stephen Fry thread. We also have the Teashop thread that you can post in as well. You don't have to worry about having anything too relevant to say, we just mostly like to post .
Go to Top of Page

Prudence
Giddy

Philippines
7 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  06:47:41  Show Profile  Send Prudence a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys! I'm just popping in to say hi as well. It's really great to see you again--still having fun and sharing things. I really don't know if anyone remembers me or not but I do remember all of you. Lots of people have been AWOL I noticed..but everyone's just really got busy, I guess. That's why I'm happy to see all of you. And diri..he's still the way he was..talking about planets. And MrBen..just being funny. Mm..I'm going to try to come back tomorrow and post again. Hey..take care guys. Cheers!

:)
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  09:18:49  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ah, another faithful recruit in my "MrBen for president because he's funny" campaign. If you include me, that makes two people on my country-wide tour. Woo!

Welcome back, Prudence.
Go to Top of Page

Foebane
Addled

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  17:35:07  Show Profile  Visit Foebane's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JKRisSuperior

Hop on over to the Stephen Fry thread. We also have the Teashop thread that you can post in as well. You don't have to worry about having anything too relevant to say, we just mostly like to post .

HEY! I love Spam!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  18:50:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back, LoriAnne and Prudence!!!

My fish are staring at me again ... they must be hungry.

Mr. Ben for president of the loony bin. I love it.
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  21:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also vote Mr. Ben for president.
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  21:45:21  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Arr, the winds be blowin' my way!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  22:06:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What kind of world are we in where Ben is president?

Edited by - Jokelly on 09/18/2006 22:08:32
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  22:36:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did anyone check out that full moon tonight? It's so bright! Is it the hunter's moon or harvest moon? Are they the same? Or is that the next full moon?

Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  18:47:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi! I'm also popping in to say hello. I haven't been here in so long that it didn't show up in my address bar when I typed "hpg..." like it normally does, and I couldn't remember the address so I had to go looking through my history.

Anyway, I'm home for Thanksgiving so I finally have a chance to say hi. I've been very busy at school, but having an AMAZING time. The work is harder than I expected, and so is the partying, but I've managed to get both done pretty well, haha. My roommate and I get along very well and the people on my floor are amazing. I've been sick since I got there because during frosh week we jumped into Lake Ontario (which is not exactly the cleanest water in the world). I'm better now though, except I got one of my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday. But there's no swelling or bruising anymore and it's more of a dull ache than pain.

Anyway... hope everything is going well for all of you. And congrats Treefrog on your tadpole!!

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  03:51:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need new winter tyres for my car. I don't know how I will afford them, I am sooooooooooooo broke :-(

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Alex
Giddy

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  22:47:33  Show Profile  Send Alex an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hi everyone! I just found this place...and it's great!

sorry about all the troubles with the other boards and my board. I'm so glad you guys made this!

I've been studying really hard the last year and a half, so that would explain my absence. But things are going well, and school isn't getting easier.

But I'm going to try and come around more...I think its the fact that I need all of you to comiserate with about the lack of book 7 in our lives! although I know some of you would rather it not come so that the series wont be over! I can't wait.

well, just wanted to stop by AFTTS to let you all know I'm back!

See you around!

~alex
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  05:32:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Alex! Good to hear from you. Glad you found us.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  09:43:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Alex. Glad you found us.
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  12:32:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex! Our resident artistic whirlwind! How are you?

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.