Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  19:59:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any day now. I ran out to the mailbox today and nothing. I feel like Hermione waiting for her O.W.L results.

I burnt my finger tonight cooking dinner. It's a steam burn from opening a the oven. It's only a little blister on the tip of my index finger but boy does it burn.

I've finally decided on a hairstyle. I'm chopping it off again. Not extremely short, but a chin length bob. Long enough to tuck behind the ears but short enough that it's off the back of my neck. I can't stand having long hair in the hot weather. And it will be back to below my shoulders by Christmas.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/12/2006 22:57:58
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  00:26:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oo, good luck Jo. I've been running out to the mailbox a lot too... waiting for information about school next year.

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  05:31:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took a day off today. I am going horseback riding with a friend of mine.

I can't believe that HBP has been released a year ago. I seems like yesterday to me. So many things have happened during this one year. It's really unbelievable.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  15:05:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ARGGGGHHHHHH

I got my scores in the mail today. I took two tests--one in Business and the other in Midde School Mathematics. Well, I open up my score report I got in the mail and had a paper hiding over the scores because I'm so nervous. I'm looking....I see the Middle School test but the Business test wasn't there!!!!! And that was my important test. So I look at the scores and I passed the Math. I was so worried about it because I really didn't think I passed, but I did. But the important one was the Business test. AND THERE IS NO FREAKING RECORD OF IT!!!!!!!!! I paid my $200 to take this stupid @#$%^ test, studied for 2 months, and there is no record of it! If they can't find record of me taking that @#$%^ test I'm getting a full refund (something they don't do). And this delays my filing the State for my certificate. ARRRRRGGGHH. I hate ETS.

Edited:
I just got off the phone from ETS, after being on hold for 20 minutes. The woman wasn't too friendly and said I just have to wait for my results on the mail. They mailed them out seperately. She said sometimes it takes more time to score some tests, which is bunk because the test I'm waiting for was a multiple choice one that they just run through the computer. My math test, which I received the scores for had to be independently scored because of contructed responses and takes longer to score. So I'll just have to wait even longer until they decide to send me my other scores. I hate ETS.

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/14/2006 15:47:50
Go to Top of Page

LoriAnne
Giddy

4 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  19:44:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, poor Jo. Hopefully they'll get your scores to you quickly.

Running in from the Land of LA to say a couple of things. They are:

1) I'm being worked to death but I'm making money and I LOVE my job. So yay! But paychecks never go quite as far as you expect them to when you're not getting paychecks. And,

2) I bought my wedding dress this past weekend! Yay! Squee! 11 months to go!

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  20:30:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job on getting the dress that early.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  19:14:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right now I have a craving for Marzetti croutons straight from the bag. Just a handful.

Got the bill for daughter's car insurance premium today. Luckily, our total bill only went up $9 a year, because she's a good student, plus we took collision coverage off of our two older cars. Even if either of them got dented, they aren't worth enough to file insuance anyway. Dodged a bullet there ... now if she can only keep her driving record clean.

Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  22:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The other day I got a huge package in the mail from my unviersity with twenty million forms that need to be filled out immediately (okay, I'm exaggerating, but there were a lot and they have to be returned ASAP) and I'm starting to freak out. I'm getting really scared for next year, but that's normal I guess.

I got my new computer today!! It frustrated the hell out of me initially because I couldn't get my internet to work, but then I got it to work and discovered that I don't have Microsoft Word or any of the other things. I have a thing on my Start Menu that says "Microsoft Office" but there's nothing in it.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  10:14:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you can get a CD with Microsoft Office at a store like Office Depot or Best Buy.
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  19:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly
Just read this interesting article about genealogy: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13662242/. Looks like we're all decended from royalty of some sort.

Interesting article and very true I believe. Let's face it, genealogies care only about male decendents. Not to mention most royalty had affairs, so there's probably even more "unofficial" decendents running around.

Blah, I don't wanna go to work.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Foebane
Addled

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  19:17:50  Show Profile  Visit Foebane's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Considering this news item:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5203192.stm

I saw this advert on TV back last year, and it made me sick to my stomach. How they ever allowed this disturbing filth on TV (even considering I hardly ever watch TV - I wonder why?), I don't know.
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  19:58:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't get it.

My mom got a new car today. I've never had so much fun driving a car in my life. It's an automatic, but shifting is so smooth and fun. And it's a turbo so it just goes. I love it. Too bad I won't get to drive it much.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  21:04:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my test scores back...finally after 14 days of waiting. I passed. Everything is mailed and now I just have to wait for the Department of Ed. to process it and mail back my new certificate, which could take months. They're not the fastest people in the world.

I have an interview on Tuesday. As I've said on the Teashop thread, I know who is already getting the job--a long term sub that's been in the position for the previous school year. The other interviews are just formalities they have to go through. I figure it gives me more experience interviewing...not that I need anymore. However, fate is perverse enough to actually give me this job after getting doing all this work and getting all psyched up to teach high school.

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  22:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations again on the test scores.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  22:39:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent the whole day shopping and now I'm pooped. I took my neice and coming out of the last store I asked "My legs are tired. Are yours?" and her response was "No, you're just old." Then I had to hear about all the teen male celebrities she thinks are cute from the magazine I bought her and who she's going to put on her wall. I just smiled because I did the same exact thing when I was her age.

I did get a nice suit for 60% off--and in a size smaller than I thought I'd take. However, I also had to face the fitting room mirrors, aka torture devices. Those things really show everything, and not in a good light. I also had to shop for a new bra--the absolute worst thing in the world you could shop for. Even worse than bathing suits. It wouldn't be bad if they actually had more variety of sizes. I hit all the stores in the mall and nothing. It's not even a odd band size, 34, just the other part that's hard to find. I think I'm going to stick to internet shopping for those in the future. Other than that it was actually a nice day of shopping.

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/22/2006 22:42:40
Go to Top of Page

crispy
Giddy

Japan
26 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  23:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I just got my new contract at my school. Because I've been teaching there for two years, I'm now eligible to be put on a Japanese contract. Most foreign workers who come to Japan are put on a special foreign contract, and most foreign contracts have no bonuses (my school is extra nice because even foreigners get two bonuses a year, each worth more than a month's salary), and generally all foreigners get paid the same base salary. However, with the Japanese contract, I'll get bigger bonuses (about 2-months salary), I'll get extra pay because I'm married and have two children, and I'll get a big extra for my age. Japanese contracts are pretty cool that way. I'll also start getting yearly raises. I don't know how much it will be, but a previous teacher who was offered the Japanese contract (but turned it down to take a different job) was offered a 4% raise each year. The big suprise for me was when I went to pick up my last paycheck on the old contract. Because I'm switching to a new kind of contract, I get an extra bonus, the same as I'd get if I were leaving the job (in this case, more than a month's salary!). So, things are looking up.

In other news, it's really funny. I'm taking the CELTA course (Certificate of English Language Teaching to Adults, from Cambridge University in England). Our main tutor's last name is Cruikshanks! Yesterday, an assessor came to observe the course (to make sure we're meeting the guidelines and requirements set by Cambridge), and her name was Fleur! I wonder who's going to sign my certificate? Albus?

Order of the Bookmark
S.I.N.E. qua non
`Dark Puppy of the Apocalypse'
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  01:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So long as it isn't Umbridge, Crispy...!!! New contract sounds great, congrats!

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  01:10:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Crispy. It's always nice getting more money and having a great contract is wonderful. That's funny about all the HP connections. It's amazing how much we relate HP to our everyday lives now.

Go to Top of Page

Foebane
Addled

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  06:44:46  Show Profile  Visit Foebane's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At my place, which is shared accommodation, there was a mother and son (16) who suddenly decided to move out last Sunday night, and did so Monday morning.

They had left a note overnight for the Czech guy who was in the room next door, who apparently had their TV set and they wanted it returned before he left for work at around 4:30 AM. He didn't.

They then proceeded, later in the morning as they were packing up, to unscrew the lock off his door, break in, and take the TV themselves anyway. I was there at the time, and they claimed I was a witness to them ONLY taking the TV. They then finally left around midday.

Now, much later that day, the Czech guy comes back and is opening the lock to his room. I explain to him in simple English that they took the TV that was theirs, and next thing I know he is cursing them with Czech swearwords and even English swearwords, storming around his room and generally looking VERY angry.

Here's the kicker: They SOLD the TV to him for 25, but took it anyway! I didn't know, and they obviously never said anything about this.

Honestly, some people shouldn't be allowed to live.
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  20:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was supposed to find out my residence information today, but they bumped it back to Wednesday. I did get my frosh orientation package, which amused me for a while. I also got my last AP result back. I passed, but I thought I aced the exam and I didn't. Oh well.

Tomorrow's my first day off in two weeks, and my last day off, probably, for another two weeks.

I love House. Especially a certain Australian doctor on House...

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Foebane
Addled

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  13:23:34  Show Profile  Visit Foebane's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought the point of AFTTS was that we provide interesting viewpoints and stories, TRUE ones at that, and we all comment on them. Sometimes I wonder why I bother posting on this thread.
Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  13:27:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Because you can't resist? I never post on this thread, but saw your name as the last poster, Foe and popped in to say Hello because I haven't seen you for ages.

Hello.

Newguise xxx
Go to Top of Page

Foebane
Addled

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  14:17:54  Show Profile  Visit Foebane's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Newguise!
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  19:02:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AFTTS is a little of everything Foe. You can comment on what other's have said, or just go off on a little rant if frustrated. Plus it's an easy way to up your post count!

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Prudence
Giddy

Philippines
7 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  21:09:45  Show Profile  Send Prudence a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Cour, i liked House too. I only saw the whole Season one though, but it's nice and kinda funny too.

Hey everyone.

:)
Go to Top of Page

Jewlz
Addled

Canada
60 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  01:58:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats Crispy! I love bonuses.
Cour House is one of my new favourite shows, I love his humour.

I started a new job this week. Totally unrelated to my field, it's kind off depressing actually, but I will stick with it because it is a job, and it pays me. I really shouldn't be complaining because I haven't actually been actively looking for anything. Sure, I go on job searches, I've applied to some positions but its not enough. It's my own fault, when I finished school I had a job waiting for me, one that I had when I was in high school and summers when I was home, and I came back to it. Big Mistake! I got too comfortable, I eventually ended up quitting and I didn't have anything waiting for me. Hence, me being at this "Filler" job until I find something better. It's hard too because I really don't know what I can actually do with my degree (Criminology), there's so many careers that you can branch off into, some of them requiring you to go back to school. I don't know where to start. Eventually, I think I'll end up going to law school, but just not right now.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

crispy
Giddy

Japan
26 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  07:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I recall, when AFTTS started on the banana board, it was for really random stuff. What we write these days is positively lucid by comparison

Order of the Bookmark
S.I.N.E. qua non
`Dark Puppy of the Apocalypse'
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  10:24:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like the monkey wars. I wasn't involved in them, but remember Eavesdropper and the his fight against the monkey, or was he on the supporting side. I forget.

Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  18:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got my residence. It wasn't my first choice but it was my second. I have a roommate, which, I think, is a good thing. The only thing I know about her is her name and that she went to an all-girls private school in Toronto. Oh God. The last girl I met from an all-girls private school in Toronto said "ew" when I said where I was from. Toronto people apparantly don't think well of anyone outside of Toronto. The school she went to is called BSS which, according to all the other girls' schools in Toronto stands for B------ in Sailor Suits (their uniforms are sailor suits). Should be fun. Still, I shouldn't judge, especially since I have to live with her for eight months and don't want to make my first impression of her based only on her school. Besides, I've met a lot of people from private schools in Ontario who were really nice. But they all did seem a little surprised when I said where I was from. Oh well.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

devika
Giddy

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  02:48:37  Show Profile  Send devika an AOL message  Click to see devika's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hey! im from t.o. and i dont think unwell of anyone, just cause they're not from toronto.

in other news, im pumped cause im going to the garlic festival tomorrow, and next week, maybe road trip to the grand canyon (never been there before).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.