Posted - 06/19/2006 :  22:54:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
:throws a chair across the room:

We are all perfectly civil.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  23:33:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*back-hands Jo for messing up my hair* Never mess with an old-lady Pirate.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  06:41:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, at this point the dream is really vague. I remember Rames getting really, really mad at us (those of us who are now posting here) and he was using magic (as in HP magic)to curse us over the internet. None of us here were fighting with each other, although it sounds like it would be one heck of smackdown.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  08:59:13  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Aren't dreams just the weirdest things?

Congrats, Cour--sorry I've not been here for a couple of days.

I fell asleep on the sofa after I watched a movie, and was just going to check my email before crawling into bed--and here I still am, an hour later.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  11:42:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*hides from AMC*

Yes, it would be something if we all started an all out fight.

I'm eating pizza for brunch. Not the healthiest but I just did my workout and I didn't want the leftovers to go bad. I'm proud of myself for drinking more water, though. I only allow myself a Pepsi once a day or two or when I go to a restaurant. I used to drink the stuff like mad. I'm a water snob, though. I only like my water. We have a natural spring on the property and so all other water sucks, even bottled water. They may say it's natural spring water on the label, but it sure tastes like chlorine to me. That's why I never drink the stuff away from home.

I've been working out twice a day for over three weeks and I don't see any difference. My family says they can see it, and the scale says I've lost a few but I don't feel it yet. I do two 15-minute resistance workouts a day and thinking about adding the stair-stepper this week. It's much easier to break it down into small segments. I've only missed one day in all that time. Self-guilt is a powerful motivational tool. I've also got to break down and buy a new scale.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 06/20/2006 11:45:00
Go to Top of Page

crispy
Giddy

Japan
26 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  19:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weirdest thing. It's 8:00 in the morning, still 45 minutes until lessons start. Some students just walked past my classroom, one playing a recorder, and the other singing 'Danny Boy' in Japanese. There's something really random about hearing a Scottish song sung in Japanese.

In Japan, it's not uncommon for young people to practice music in front of the train stations or department stores downtown (garage bands simple aren't done in residential areas). Well, a few years ago, there was a band that used to play at night just outside an office building where I was teaching at a language school, and they were a Kentucky Bluegrass band! The lead singer spoke almost no English, but he could sing in English, and he had the accent down perfectly. They had a couple of guitars and a banjo, and every now and then a mandolin or a fiddle would be there.

There's also a local band that plays shopping malls of all things who can do a pretty good Beatles act.

You just never know what kind of cross-cultural quirks you'll find over here.

Order of the Bookmark
S.I.N.E. qua non
`Dark Puppy of the Apocalypse'
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  22:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does "Danny Boy" have roots in both Scotland and Ireland? Or was I wrong in thinking it was an Irish song.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  23:23:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was actually written by an Englishman, although it was popularized as an Irish song. One of the only Irish songs I know and it's not even Irish.

That reminds me, I was supposed to get the family geneaology together and copy it for my cousin who is trying to get in the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution). Oops. I just completely forgot. I think I let myself forget because my mom had once had it all computerized and the computer died. It's backed up on somewhere but I'll never find it. Right now it's all in a big box and unorganized. A few of my other cousins want it too. Maybe I should start charging. Well, the person who wants it will never get into the DAR anyway. My mom told me years ago that they won't accept us even though our direct decendent fought in the Revolution. His records were burned in the War of 1812, but we know he fought in the Battle of Brandywine. My gram's neighbors used to brag that they were in the DAR (for non-Americans it's a hoity-toity society that's very exclusive). Turns out they're decendent was a water boy and never saw action, but it was enough to get in. Personally, I could care less.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  02:51:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo honestly - it's not that exclusive! Let's face it, over the last 230 years, those soldiers (and water-boys) ended up with a whole lot of decendants! I could be in the DAR and I have a number of friends who could join.. it's more Why would you want to? I actually have ancestors who fought on both sides of the American Revolution! The Royalists went to Canada afterwards (fled, most likely) and ended up in Nova Scotia/New Brunswick.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  12:53:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe exclusive isn't the word I'm looking for, but there is a lineage snobbery aspect to it. Like those who are the Mayflower decendents. Most of immigrants to the U.S. didn't come until the mid to late 1800s and later. Yes, most us are probably decended from American Revolution veterans, but we don't pursue membership. There is also a brother group called Sons of the American Revolution. I know I have no desire to join.

I think other of my family stories are more exciting like my great great uncle riding with Jesse James. Dad asked his grandpap one day what his great uncle did for a living and he said "Rob banks." Another ancestor was part of the Whiskey Rebellion, the first government use of troups after adopting the Constitution and becoming the U.S. Of course, we were the ones rebelling against the government. This same family's ancestors got kicked out of Scotland, so you can tell what kind of family I come from. These types of stories made history much more interesting to know there was a personal connection to it.

BTW, AMC, I like your Albus Dumbledore record. Love to see what else is in the Wizengamot Record library. Perhaps Snape has a few ditties out there as well?

Edited by - Jokelly on 06/21/2006 12:56:32
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  13:00:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I believe he did a lovely version of "Staying Alive" by the Bee Gees.

And of course, he starred in that "I'm too Sexy" video from a while back, but he gets kind of huffy when you mention it - his ex-agent set it up.

Go to Top of Page

Jewlz
Addled

Canada
60 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  13:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I finished University (2005) I decided I would stop drinking any kind of pop. I've stuck to it for the most part, the only thing I really drink now is water and milk, aside from alcoholic drinks. I find that I feel better, have more energy, and I've lost weight. If I do end up drinking a pepsi I can't finish it, I'll have a couple of sips and that's it.

I had no clue that there was such a thing as the DAR until I started watching Gilmore Girls, if anyone has seen the program is that a stereotypical image of the group or is that really what it's about?

I started reading the HP series again, I'm on the fifth book. It's funny, I have alot of unread books sitting on my bookshelves that I want to read, but I go for the books that I've read a gazillion times. I must be on glue!

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  13:31:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo, did your family get kicked out of Scotland over something to do with a goat? I think I remember you mentioning that once.

Other records:

Lupin and Tonks remake of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire"

Hagrid "Man of Constant Sorrow"

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  13:38:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, their clan got dissolved and were forced to flee to Ireland. Maybe you're thinking of my pet goat. We used to have a nanny goat as a pet when I was little.

I always thought Chris Isaac's "Wicked Games" was a good song for Lupin.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  14:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JKRisSuperior

Jo, did your family get kicked out of Scotland over something to do with a goat? I think I remember you mentioning that once.

Jo, are you related to ABERFORTH!?

*is in awe*

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  16:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Clan disolved" sounds like a reference to Culloden and the Highland Clearances. Is it? My mother's family is Scots Irish-- Graham, Cousins, Walen, and Gallenger (or Gallagher, we're not sure about that one). They all left from Ireland, but Grahams had been moving back and forth between Ireland and Scotland for a long time, so it's hard to say whether they felt themselves to be Scots or Irish.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  17:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My clan has not yet dissolved. Arr.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  18:20:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a Culleton/Culliton from Ireland on one side and a Morrison from Scotland on the other - let's face it, I'm all mixed up. I don't admit to the British part of my background, as it gets me all angry with myself. And some part of me is French, but it won't admit to speaking English so I can't tell how much. The Dutch part I just ignore, it's so easy to do.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  18:29:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, it wasn't anything to do with Culloden. They were already living in Ireland at that time. My clan was the Clan MacGregor. That's not my last name, though. The name MacGregor was banned in 1603. MacGregor men were killed, their women and children sold into slavery. My branch changed their name and fled to Ireland. The name MacGregor wasn't restored until 1774. By that time my branch was living in Pennsylvania. Very violent and persecuted is the MacGregors' history, mostly surrounding a feud with the Campbells. Between Robert the Bruce and King James VI the whole clan was turned into a bunch of outlaws and anyone could kill MacGregors without offense like a sport. That's the extremely brief cliffnotes version of it.

AMC! You should see my family. I have English that if you dig back even farther are French. Then throw in the all the Irish and Scots then I'm really in a pickle. I don't know what side to turn to. They all hate each other. I've got a touch of Dutch, Swiss, and German, but they seem to all get along well...as far as I know.

Isn't family history facinating! You can learn lots of interesting stuff once you start digging.

quote:
Jo, are you related to ABERFORTH!?

*is in awe*

That's what it take to impress you, Bee? Never did charms on our goat, but I used to let it in the house and giggle. My parents used to yell at me for letting it in, but I was only 7 years old at the time. I did learned that adults don't care for having goats in the living room.

Edited by - Jokelly on 06/21/2006 18:41:57
Go to Top of Page

Jewlz
Addled

Canada
60 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  20:44:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandfather on my father's side was Polish, my grandmother had both French and Irish background. I think I only have German ancestry on my mothers side.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  15:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm half Scottish, eighth Norwegian, eigth Dane, quarter random European. I know I have Irish somewhere because of my mom's maiden name. Apparantly my ancestors were excommunicated from the Catholic Church, kicked out of Ireland and forced to change their names. I don't know what over, though.

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  18:24:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dude, I'm so boring. I'm Irish, with a bit of Irish thrown in, and a dash of Irish a bit back the line. Yawn.

My surname is Norman though, so there may be something ever-so-slightly more exotic somewhere back the line. It's quite sad that I've been reduced to calling Normans exotic.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  22:29:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mom's side I think is just Irish, not sure. My dad's side, is Welsh, Polish, German and French. So I can grab a pint while eating Schnitzel and Sourkraut at the Riviera.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  23:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cour_Delafleur

I'm half Scottish, eighth Norwegian, eigth Dane, quarter random European. I know I have Irish somewhere because of my mom's maiden name. Apparantly my ancestors were excommunicated from the Catholic Church, kicked out of Ireland and forced to change their names. I don't know what over, though.

The use of inappropriate charms on goats, perhaps?

Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  23:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, sadly, I don't believe there was any magic in my family... though when we were in the Rockies in Banff, the goats were oddly attracted to my dad.....

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  18:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's see, on my mom's side I have German, Dutch, and French Canadian (French via Canada first). On my dad's French and French Canadian. My dad told me we also have Scottish, Irish and English too, but he was drunk at the time, so who knows. His family were never great record keepers.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  19:42:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People are odd with family history. Some love it, others hate it. My mom's best friend never understood it. She just thought it was strange.

quote:
Dude, I'm so boring. I'm Irish, with a bit of Irish thrown in, and a dash of Irish a bit back the line. Yawn.

Bee, we Americans are all mixed-breeds. Everyone here is a mix of things if your family has been here any length of time. German is the top ancestery claimed by Americans according to U.S. Census records. Except on St. Patrick's Day--then everyone claims to be Irish.

*gets off genealogy talk*

I think I'm going braid (or plait as my Gram always said) my hair tonight in pigtails before going to bed. I want it wavy but if I sleep in curlers then I end up with an afro. Otherwise, I have not even a wave to my hair.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  20:11:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pennsylvania is flooded out. A portion of the state is underwater, along with parts of the Mid-Atantic region (New York, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, and New Jersey). It's not flooded in my area south of Pittsburgh, but north of the city has been hit by flooding. It has rained non-stop for two weeks. Luckily for us south of the city, it hasn't been flooding much in West Virginia. Our main river flows south out of WV north to PA. The storms are coming from the west. If they were coming from the south it would be bad. Our usually bad floods come from hurricanes up from the gulf. If it keeps raining like this though our region will be underwater, too, because the rivers are rising. We've had flash flood warnings everyday this week.

Edited by - Jokelly on 06/28/2006 20:13:28
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  15:14:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to contact an ancient aristocratic family in Devon to find out if I can trace my roots back. My great-something grandfather was a butler to them.

Sorry about Pennsylvania, Jo. Is Bucks County flooded out?

I've been working on a wikipedia page for 18 months and it finally got featured:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definition_of_planet

Just thought I'd see if you liked it :)

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 06/30/2006 15:16:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.