Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  05:27:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My job sucks. My boss just got fired in a most unfair way and my new boss will be a former co-worker who I don't like very much. Plus, there is so much work to do and we are understaffed. I have been working at least 12 hours a day during the last two weeks and even some hours on the week-ends, but it still isn't enough.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Till
Giddy

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  17:55:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone! It's been over a year since I was last here, but I hope some of you remember me.

Being roused from one's sleep by a horrible noise is a bad way to start a Sunday morning. However, it got even worse when I discovered that the cause of that noise had been car crash, which had resulted in the rather bewildering sight of a car lying on its side halfway in our garden, part of the garden fence buried underneath and a dangerously bent lamppost (which later toppled over completely).
Luckily, no one was hurt, but it I guess it was the typical result of people speeding and "sleeping" at the same time.
I don't look forward to all the insurance business that's to come.

Well, tomorrow will be better, won't it?
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  00:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Till! I don't know you, I think... or is it I don't think? Last year when we had very heavy rains I drove past a house where a large, old tree had blown down the night before - the tree's broad-spreading roots were facing the street and tree lay in the ruined garden. The crown of the tree was probably 40-50 feet from the roots, lying just short of the house's front door. The entire center of the garden was strangely flattened and about 10 x 6 feet of turf was sticking up like a wall, pulled up when the roots gave way. It was completely surrealistic - the picture made sense, you knew what had happened, but it was such a bizarre scene that you almost coudn't accept it as real.

Sorry about the car crash in your yard, hope the insurance people make things easy for you.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Edited by - AMC on 11/19/2007 00:02:26
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  12:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Prudence and Till, welcome back! Till, hope you manage to get your garden sorted out without too much hassle.

U8, that sucks about your boss. Sounds like you're really over-worked at the moment. Will you get a chance to take a break over Christmas?

I'm really busy too, but it's all my own fault for signing up for this sucky masters. It better be worth it. Grr.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

SweetPea
Addled

Canada
184 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  21:17:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in Teachers' College right now, and I learned of something amazing that I am going to do in my physical education class. Quidditch! The students sit on these skateboard like things, and can only use their feet to move around. The students have already identified who is the Seeker for each time, and while they are trying to score with the Quaffle, the teacher tosses in a bouncy ball and the Seekers have to try and catch it. If they don't notice, then the teacher retrieves the ball and tries again. How awesome is that?!

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  14:13:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I managed to talked my boss into granting me some days off over christmas. I am so glad that I will have some free time now. I have been working too much during the last month and I know it isn't good for me.

Till, welcome back. I am glad that nobody was injured during the car accident. Hope the insurance will not give you too much trouble.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2008 :  21:41:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My house was broken into. My house at school, so no one has been there for two weeks. The police called our landlords who called my housemate's mother who called my housemate who called us. So through all those connections none of us really know what's going on. All we know is that whoever it was kicked down our door, and then apparently didn't take anything. Our TV, DVD player, stereos, etc. are all still there and the only apparent damage is to the door (which actually works out alright because our door was a piece of junk and needed to be replaced anyway). There was also a cat living there for a little while too, which means we'll probably find some presents.... ugh. The first of my housemates gets back from break tomorrow afternoon so we'll know for sure how much damage was done then... that is if she can get in, as our front door has been boarded up and no one has a key to the back door.

So it could have been a lot worse, but we're all still pretty upset. And we have no idea why someone would bother kicking down our door (of all the thousands of empty student houses in the area) and then not take anything (that we know of yet).

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - Cour_Delafleur on 01/03/2008 21:42:23
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2008 :  21:56:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yikes! I hope the damage wasn't too bad, Cour.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2008 :  09:59:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard the BEST rumor yesterday... that my rotten boss was hired elsewhere. Everyone's so happy, they're just hoping it's true. Cross your fingers for me!!!

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2008 :  13:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fingers and toes crossed, AMC!
Go to Top of Page

Wildchild
Giddy

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  18:29:46  Show Profile  Visit Wildchild's Homepage  Send Wildchild an AOL message  Send Wildchild a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, everyone. :)

Cour, that's nuts! Glad no one's hurt.

AMC, that's exciting! Fingers are totally crossed!

Just thought I'd stop by to say "hello!" *HUGS*

"I'm Switzerland."
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  02:24:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AMC, I cross my fingers for you.

I have started to look for another job. I am working 12 hours a day, 6-7 days a week right now ( I only getting paid for 42,5 hours a week) and there is no chance that it will get any better in the future. Plus, I don't like my boss.
I have almost no spare time (I haven't had the chance to come to the boards in ages) and when I have a little time for myself I am often too tired to meet my friends. I have decided to look for a job in the UK!

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  16:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just noticed that I'm horribly behind on wishing everyone a Happy Birthday. [:I] So to everyone who had a late December or January birthday ... sorry I missed it and hope it was wonderful!

Happy Birthday!
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  08:54:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I have my first snow day in NINE YEARS! My high school was a boarding school so they never canceled classes due to the weather so this is my first snow day since elementary school. And it could not come on a better day. I have a term paper due today which I'm not finished and which is now due tomorrow. YESSS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  18:10:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hallelujah!

Aren't snow days wonderful? They really put life into cosmic perspective. It's almost as if they happen just for you.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

SweetPea
Addled

Canada
184 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  20:58:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My University did not cancel classes, despite receiving about 35cm in snow. Jerks.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  05:29:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canadians are so cute when they combine US slang with metric :)

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  23:40:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...I have no idea how much 35cm of snow is.

*Goes to look up metric conversion*

Ooo, you got a good snowstorm. A little over a foot of snow. The most we've had this year at one time is 5 or 6 inches. We're supposed to get a few inches of snow over the weekend.

They still tell school kids they have to learn metric because by the time they're adults we'll all be using metric, not the English method. But they've been telling school kids this for decades. We do have metric measurements alongside the standard measurements, but I still have no idea. The only thing I can remember is 1 kilo = 2.2 lbs.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  11:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A meter is about 40 inches, if that helps. That's not exact but 40 is a nice round number I can remember for estimates (so 35cm = approx 1/3 a meter = 13 inches). And a bottle of wine is 25.4 ounces. I know that's not metric but I remember it anyways.

I don't mind using metric but I hate using celsius. I know it makes more sense 0-100 being freezing to boiling but it doesn't work with my reactions - I know what 80 degrees feels like in the summer (wear shorts) and I know what 40 degrees feels like in the winter (put on your jacket). I can't convert Celsius easily in my head and all the temps always sound cold - like "it's going to be a 26 degree day".. wear shorts???

Edited by - AMC on 03/07/2008 11:42:17
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  13:40:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
having grown up with Celsius, I can't stand Fahrenheit. I know that 30 is around 0oC and that 70ish is warm (I think) but everything in between I have absolutely no idea.

I really can't stand that the English system isn't in neat numbers like metric is. I like knowing that there are 100cm in a meter and 1000m in a kilometer. I can never remember how many feet are in a mile, or how many yards are in a mile, etc.

And my snow day was wonderful. It's so nice when it's unexpected and it's just a free day.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  17:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are 5,280 ft in a mile, 3 feet in a yard, 16 oz in a pound. I'm really good on measurements because I do dollhouse miniatures and I do a lot of measuring and conversion. It would be horrible if everything changed. Most of the stuff is based on the 1:12 scale, meaning 1 inch in miniatures equals 12 inches in real life. I'm getting really good at miniaturizing everything.

I'm like AMC and temperatures. All the thermometers on buildings show Celsius and Fahrenheit, but it just seems so cold to hear it's 30 degrees. The only thing I can remember is -40 is the smae on both scales and 100 C is 212 F, the temperature that water boils and 0 C is 32 F, the freezing point of water.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  21:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do a lot of home-remodelling (I'm not exactly a serial remodeller but I've only owned old houses that have needed work) and I love graph paper - I make each square represent 6 inches, so 4 squares is a square foot. I can sketch out a room in no time flat in that scale - but I'd have trouble doing it in metric! It's all what you're used to and yes, the sooner the U.S. changes to metric the fewer of us stuck using an archaic measuring system but.... I'll miss it if I'm around. At least we don't weigh ourselves in "stone"! That's a weird system - is it 14 pounds a stone?

Edited by - AMC on 03/07/2008 21:18:59
Go to Top of Page

SweetPea
Addled

Canada
184 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  22:11:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The funny thing is that here in Canada we use metric for everything except for height and weight of a person. Everyone uses feet and inches and pounds (unless you are in the hospital).

Are are getting another 30-50 cm of snow this weekend. That works out to .1' to 1' and 2/3s of a foot of snow. Again.

This is the second snowiest winter in my city on record.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  09:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I weigh myself in stones, babies in ounces and pounds (not that I weigh a lot of babies or anything), and ingredients in grams and kilograms. I measure speed in kilometres, but I measure my car's mileage in miles. I measure my height in feet, but if I'm measures any distance I work in metres. My mother uses yards, but they make no sense to me.

We've got a bit of a hotpotch of imperial and metric going on here. At one point our speed limits were in kilometres and our signposts were in miles - those were good times!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  02:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have fourteen hours to finish a 4000 word term paper comparing modern economic growth in Japan and Germany. My current word count is 1172. I'm still only on the supporting history needed to explain Japan's transition. Oh dear...

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  17:18:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, poor Cour! You can do it!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Veranuem
Giddy

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  14:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG.
You all are still here XD
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  17:00:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VERA!

And yes, we're still here. There's just no stopping us.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Veranuem
Giddy

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  21:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's just, most communities disband eventually- you guys are all so resilient! And you remembered me! 0_o Weird. I've been here- www.gaiaonline.com
It looks like an anime site on first glance, but it's not at all, it's a community. It's awesome, you should join or something. :D
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  12:58:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently, Scientists are close to creating a real "Invisibility Cloak"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7553061.stm

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.