Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  21:11:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gimu, technically, you're right, I think. But we usually when talking about a population as a whole use the singular term. Similarly, if there were wild turkeys in the yard I'd say I there were turkey in the yard, not turkeys. We use the singular terms or "bear" or "turkey" collective nouns. I don't think it's grammatically correct, but we don't talk perfectly. Probably just a regional thing.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 09/03/2007 21:19:50
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  05:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep getting told off for saying "meese", can't imagine why

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  11:02:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The province I live in shares a border with Maine and everyone who came into the tourist shop I used to work at (it feels so good to say that) would be expecting to see moose at every corner. In my whole life I've seen maybe five moose... all of them by the highway (which is not where you want to see them).

I'm almost all settled in to my new house. I finished painting yesterday (which was pretty hard because my room is really small and I already had a big desk, dresser, and bed in there so every time I moved onto a new wall I would have to move all my furniture again) and started moving some of my stuff in. Half of my stuff is still sitting in the living room though so I need to finish that today.

It's so weird being back here. With the exception of living in a crummy house instead of a crummy residence, it feels like I never left. I don't know what I'm going to do for the next few days though since I have almost a week until classes start and I'm pretty much finished moving in.

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  12:19:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You didn't see five meese, you just saw one, and they moved it every time.

Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  16:19:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heeheehee I just thought it was really weird. Sure we don't talk proper here either...
It's so cute to hear kids say things wrong, like sheeps.
I remember hearing a conversation between a mother and daughter once (aged 4 or so).
mum - "now you have to behave"
child - "but I am being have(hayve)"
SO cute. The little girl is about 6 now and she is still as cute as ever.
Go to Top of Page

msulizzy11
Addled

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  21:41:53  Show Profile  Click to see msulizzy11's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I feel like not enough people have anything to say. And if they do, they're not saying it.

I'm lonely in Atlanta...kinda. Actually I'm perfectly content to stay in my hotel room, use their free wifi and watch HBO. *Score!* Although I'm hungry bc everything closes early around here and now it's dark so I don't feel like venturing out...plus I have free wifi!!! There's a coke machine down the hall which I'll use in a moment.

I need to get organized.

Order of the Bookmark
Fred Weasley We Salute You

"Not since George Bush decided to invade Iraq over weapons of mass destruction has the world been so engrossed with a fantasy story."
- Sydney Morning Herald July 18, 2007 Re: Harry Potter
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  12:26:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally, the new House M.D. season is aired here. They started to show the new seasons of "Grey's Anatomie" and "Desperate Housewifes" as well.

I have to go on a business trip again. However, this time I don't have to travel too far. I'll not return before tuesday, though.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  16:40:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So my bedroom in my crummy new house is on the third floor and it has been oppressively hot here recently. My room is the hottest in the house so I haven't been able to finish it. All I have left to do is put together a book shelf and then organize some stuff but it's way too hot to do anything but sleep up there (and even that is getting a little unbearable).

I hate Southern Ontario.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  12:03:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I'm two weeks into my new major and absolutely loving it. It's really a new experience for me to love everything that I'm learning. Last year I really couldn't have cared less about a lot of it, and in high school I guess I enjoyed most of my courses but I wasn't really passionate about what I was learning. And I am now. I still have no idea what I want to do with my life with regards to a career, but I know I want it to involve this.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  17:47:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great to hear, Cour!

I had a job interview yesterday, I thought it went really well, but they never called me back. Siiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  21:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news, Cour!

Starling, did they say they'd call you the day after the interview? Usually it takes a few days, maybe even a week. Hope all goes well.
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  10:15:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From my experience, it usually takes about 2-3 weeks until someone will call you after a job interview (the people I am working for right now never called me, they simply send me the labour contract).

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  21:48:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cour, what is your new major?

Job interviews are the ultimate form of torture.

I'm working at a preschool three days a week now to supplement my subbing. I wish it was two days because I make much more subbing, but it's feast or famine with sub jobs and right now it's famine so at least I'm making something in my other job. Then I got asked tonight if I was interesting being treasurer for the municipality I live in. It's only about $200/month (we have less than 500 people in the boro), but it's not much work either. I'm really not interested in it, but for attending one meeting a month it might be something to look into. They're getting back to me about actual work involved.

Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  17:36:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Economics. Last year I was in Commerce. Almost every single person I talk to about switching has said "aren't they the same thing?" but they're so incredibly different. The really funny thing is I really didn't care about Economics at all last year until I started studying for my finals. Part of that was because it was my 8:30 class and I never went.

My campus is under complete construction. The major intersections are all torn up because they're replacing roads and piping, etc. They're also building a giant sports/university centre complex. So every class is frequently punctuated by the booms and shakes of an underground explosion. It also means getting around campus is pretty difficult because so many sections are gated off. My geography prof said she felt like she was at Hogwarts with the moving staircases because the routes to class aren't guaranteed to be the same every day. I've even had a gate put up right in front of me on my way to class so I had to turn around and find another way.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  19:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oohh, you're major is the subject I despised most in college. My degree was Business Administration and I had to have five semesters of Economics classes. I hated every one. I consider myself pretty intelligent. I graduated with high honors from college and highest from grad school, but thank goodness for grade curving and attendance being included in grading. I did not understand any of it. It was like reading Greek and never having been taught it. Towards the end I was just drawing graphs with a big X and labeling supple and demand to at least get partial credit on essays. Oh, I remember the Law of Diminishing Returns. Other than that I couldn't understand a thing. I applaud you greatly, Cour, because Economics is way, way over my head in comprehension.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  10:22:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I nearly failed economics, I had to do a resit for that one and managed to pull it up to a pass. We had two types of economics, one dealing with the way economies worked, the other with bookkeeping. Couldn't stand either. I always thought balancing books was cheating.

I think I have the job. I've not heard anything from Shell itself, but the agency lady says they're meeting tomorrow to see if they can fit me in (I'm awkward where shifts are concerned, having my son to look after and all that).

Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  11:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I love it. I like it a lot better than I did last year too because now we're actually using numbers to support the theory we learned last year, so it's making a lot more sense to me now. I'm also taking some pretty interesting courses like the Economics of Canadian Social Policies, and the Diffusion of Modern Inudstrial Growth.

The only bookkeeping I've ever done was in Accounting, which I absolutely didn't understand. Jo's analogy of reading Greek is exactly how I felt about Accounting, except in my case most of my classmates were already fluent so the prof didn't spend much time teaching us the language.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - Cour_Delafleur on 09/27/2007 11:20:32
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  01:04:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See, we each have our specialties. I sucked royally at Economics, but I sailed through Accounting. It's even my emphasis in my Bachelor's degree. If I end up teaching high school business classes I will be teaching Accounting.

The only other subject that stumped me as much as Economics was Calculus, which actually plays a big role in Economics. All those functions were confusing. I can do proofs in Geometry, enjoyed Trigonometry and Algebra, but Calculus was a different kettle of fish. Calculus ended my musings of becoming a Math major in undergrad.

Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  11:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some months ago I attended a seminar called "Finance for Non-Financers". It was held by the controlling department of my company. It was really interesting, although I didn't understand everything. Unfortunately I already have forgotten most of it.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

msulizzy11
Addled

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  11:02:32  Show Profile  Click to see msulizzy11's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
-My stomach hurts...a lot...

-I'm cold...very.

-I wish I was playing Sims Making Magic. (I just got it yesterday!)

-I'm glad I get to go home early today...after a few Meetings From Hell though.

-I should have tweezed my eyebrows this a.m.

Order of the Bookmark
Fred Weasley We Salute You

"Not since George Bush decided to invade Iraq over weapons of mass destruction has the world been so engrossed with a fantasy story."
- Sydney Morning Herald July 18, 2007 Re: Harry Potter

Edited by - msulizzy11 on 10/24/2007 11:03:27
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  15:07:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by msulizzy11

-My stomach hurts...a lot...

-I'm cold...very.

-I wish I was playing Sims Making Magic. (I just got it yesterday!)

-I'm glad I get to go home early today...after a few Meetings From Hell though.

-I should have tweezed my eyebrows this a.m.

Oh dear, I hope you get well soon, Lizzy.

My computer does not like the Sims and refuses to let me play.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  07:24:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is our children learning?

Childrens do learn.

Reading is the basics for all learning.

You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test.

Then you wake up at the high school level and find out that the illiteracy level of our children are appalling.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  11:06:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, GW. At least he's good for a laugh. Only one year left to go.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  11:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One year, two months, and eighteen days.

I have to wonder what his Presidential Library will be like.

"Um, yes. You want "Speeches, Education, 2002"? I think we file that under I, for "is learning".

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 11/02/2007 11:41:41
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  12:45:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mostly picture books and his own speeches (fantasy, in other words), would be my guess.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  14:47:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, at least he is good for a laugh. Let me just add that Germanys former president Heirich Lbke once said: "Equal goes it loose" (= It will start in a moment)

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Prudence
Giddy

Philippines
7 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  00:48:25  Show Profile  Send Prudence a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hey everyone i'm back. it's been 3 1/2 years.. remember me?

:)
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  01:32:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Prudence! I remember you - Wow, it's been a long time! Welcome back.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  15:35:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Prudence! Welcome back. How are you?

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Prudence
Giddy

Philippines
7 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  00:53:35  Show Profile  Send Prudence a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm fine..thanks for all your warm welcome.:)

:)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.