Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  11:02:11  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds lovely--just let me know when. But not in the few days leading up to Christmas--too many family and choir related things going on then.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  11:28:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myf

Ah - I see even the Irish version of a well-known swear word (a.k.a. "whiteness") gets picked up by Filch around here.

Whaa? I'm confused. I thought I knew all the swearwords. *frowns* I must think about this.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  12:07:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eeyore

Sounds lovely--just let me know when. But not in the few days leading up to Christmas--too many family and choir related things going on then.

Don't remind me, I'm missing every single one of them this year, thanks to my ^$%$$$%!! dad, who thinks going to the zoo with the family to celebrate his 40th anniversary is more important than Fin's Christmas do at school, Fin's Christmas concert, and both Ruth's Christmas concerts.

The choir concerts are the things I look most forward to for Christmas, and I'm missing Bach's Weinachtsoratorium (with Ruth, her parents and her youngest brother singing in the choir) too, also thanks to my dad.

And I thought last year was sh*tty.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  19:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little treat for Spaced/Shaun of the Dead fans:

http://www.workingtitlefilms.com/trailers/hotfuzz_trailer_small.php

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  23:28:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday, I saw the trailer for "Blades of Glory" with Will Farrell and laughed my butt off through the whole thing. It's a parody of the ice skating world. He and Jon Heder (Napoleon Dynamite) play male singles figure skaters who get kicked out of skating forever, but find a loophole and come back as the first male/male pairs couple to compete in the history of figure skating. Will Farrell plays the macho skater and Jon Heder is the stereotypical gay skater. It comes out in March. Seems like part of it is a parody on movie "The Cutting Edge".

The critics will hate it and it will have immature humor and be idiotic, but it still looks hilarious.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  10:41:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone (I don't remember who) told me "Taladega Nights" was hilarious. It looked like a rental/library borrow to me. I save my money for the few necessary big screen movies.
"Night at the Museum" was one of those. The T-Rex was impressive on the large screen. I'm not generally much on Ben Stiller, but this movie was worth seeing. Plus I loved Robin Williams as Teddy Roosevelt and any movie with Dick Van Dyke can't be too bad.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  11:41:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone seen "Dreamgirls"? I loved it. Jennifer Hudson is incredible. She's only a "supporting" actress, but she steals the spotlight from Beyonce, Eddie Murphy, and Jamie Foxx, and they all gave great performances too. She more than deserved her Golden Globe and I hope she gets the Oscar.

Another movie I really liked was "The Holiday". I went into it expecting a corny chick-flick and I wasn't disappointed.

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  12:47:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone seen "The Queen"? I am wondering whether it is good and I should watch it. I am afraid that it could be boring, but on the other hand a movie with Helen Mirren should be great.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  13:23:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw "Talledega Nights" on a plane; surprised at how much I enjoyed it, though I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it. Gary Cole is an actor I've loved since "American Gothic" and he's great in this.

"The Queen" is good. Very good in fact. Helen Mirren delivers one of the difinitive interpretations of a historical figure in film history (alongside Gary Oldman's Sid Vicious, Bruno Ganz's Hitler, Robert Downey Jr's Chaplin and Peter O'Toole's TE Lawurence), but I felt she made her Maj more human and sympathetic than she actually is. The same goes for Prince Phillip, who was appropriately smarmy and crude, but nowhere near as moronically bigoted as he is in real life.

One thing a lot of people don't know is that "The Queen" is a sequel. Stephen Frears directed a movie for British TV a while ago called "The Deal", which also starred Michael Sheen as Tony Blair and was about the rise of "New Labour". It concerns a modern legend that a deal was struck between Blair and his svengali, Gordon Brown, in an upmarket London restaraunt in 1994. The deal was that the more telegenic and charismatic Blair would lead the party to victory over the Conservatives, while the more dour but iron-fisted Brown would reign as Chancellor and hold the purse-strings. After two terms, the deal supposedly mandated, Blair would step down, and Brown would assume power unopposed. Curiously enough, the movie came out right at the end of Blair's second term. Both Blair and Brown deny that the deal ever took place. In any event, Blair got his third term anyway, though now he says he'll hand the reigns over to Brown sometime this year.

The last movie I saw was "Pan's Labyrinth", an excellent blend of historical drama and supernatural fantasy from Guelermo del Toro, who made one of my favourite movies in recent years, "The Devil's Backbone". I reccommend that people see both, and preferably "The Devil's Backbone" first, as they are very similar. I'd be interested in hearing how you guys think they compare.

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  14:32:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Diri. I think I will go and watch the movie. I didn't know about "The Deal" but I'd love to watch it as well. I'll try to rent it somewhere, but I am afraid that it will not be so easy to find it at a DVD rental.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  13:08:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Husband and I went to see "Pan's Labyrinth" last night. Very strong but dark film. I was unprepared for the graphic violence involved. I ended up sitting out the last half hour in the lobby of the cinema-- too stressful. Was glad to hear the Captain got his. Too bad about Ofelia, though. I think DVD of that one would work better for me. One of those films I need to take strategic breaks from.
Odd to note that "Kill Bill" didn't bother me at all. Must have been the humour and the fact that the whole thing was so over the top.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  11:12:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The opening five minutes of Kill Bill got to me big time. When Bill is looking down at the Bride and she says, "Bill, it's your bab-" before the gun goes off I just end up shredded.

Funny thing; when that happened in a theatre I went to, a little old lady hobbled down the aisle and said, "I'm in the wrong film."

Saw Hot Fuzz by the way, very funny, though not as funny as Shaun of the Dead.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  01:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was laughing my butt off during Kill Bill, but I have a very odd sense of humour. My sister and I watched it together and she had her hand to her mouth the whole time in shock while I was nearly peeing myself laughing.

I know it's really corny and meant for people 5-10 years younger than me, but I freakin LOVE High School Musical. It's totally corny and cheesy, the acting's not great, the lip-synching is off, but I love it. It's so fun. I can't get the songs out of my head.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  03:36:24  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to Hot Fuzz - I'm off to see it next week with a group of friends, followed by a Q&A with Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright. Can't wait!

Last film I saw was... Babel. I really liked it, but it irritated me to hear people pronounce it as 'Babble'.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  10:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diricawl

The opening five minutes of Kill Bill got to me big time. When Bill is looking down at the Bride and she says, "Bill, it's your bab-" before the gun goes off I just end up shredded.
I probably would have been, too, but the first time I saw Kill Bill was on television and I came in on the story at the point where Kiddoe is in the truck saying "wiggle your big toe." It wasn't until I watched Kill Bill 2 that I figured out she had been pregnant when she was shot and by then, though it was shocking, it wasn't as surprising considering the previous violence. That, and by the end you know that Bebe is alive. Oooops, sorry, that was a spoiler.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  12:14:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myf
Last film I saw was... Babel. I really liked it, but it irritated me to hear people pronounce it as 'Babble'.

How is it supposed to be pronounced? That's all I've ever heard it said.

Cour, did you know they're making a sequel to "High School Musical". My neice is so excited. This is her favorite show. Right now they're touring through U.S. at theaters and she wants to go when they come here. I'm not taking her though because tickets are a bit steep and I don't drive downtown in the city.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  15:11:19  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Jo, I'd only ever heard it pronounced 'BAY-ble', not 'BAB-ble'. It made me think this film was supposed to be full of drunken idiots spouting their mouths off.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  15:33:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's strange, I've heard Americans on tv pronouncing it as "babble". Maybe that's how they all pronounce it over there? It sounds so strange to my ears.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  16:12:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always wondered about that, too. It is supposed to go back to the Tower of Babel in the Bible isn't it? That's where the people built a tower up to reach the heavens. God, taking offense at their overreaching pride, destroyed the tower and gave everyone different languages, thus the term "babble". But I always thought that the single "b" should make the pronunciation bay-bl. Guess I'll have to look that one up.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  15:20:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh good, another one for Team Baybel! :D

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  17:00:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK. I've looked babel up in my Concise Oxford Dictionary. It would appear that US newscasters and announcers have no idea how to pronounce the word properly. It is officially bable with a long a sound, as opposed to babble with a short a.

Notice the intentional slight of Miriam Webster.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  17:03:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But, Siobhan, American English doesn't always follow the Oxford Dictionary. We do have some differences in how we approach phonics. Some of the American dictionaries give the babble pronunciaton, some give both as acceptable. I've read a lot of things trying to figure it out and the consensus is that both are acceptable. The etymology is really unknown and might not have anything to do with the word babble. It's association with Babylon may lead to it's short /a/ pronunciation.

I've never heard anything but babble, but then even in the U.S. we differ in our pronunciations. Just look at the state of Nevada. Some say Nuh-vaa-dah and some say Nuh-vah-dah. The first way is correct according those who live there, and that's how we say it in my area, but I hear the second on television all the time.

Edited by - Jokelly on 03/09/2007 17:15:57
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  17:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always said bay-bel because babble is another thing altogether. In Canada we have a strong British influence in our pronunciation (and spelling) and a strong American influence as well. It can get kind of confusing (what's really confusing is the dates, as Americans tend to go mm/dd/yy and the British way is dd/mm/yy. People here use both, so unless it has the letters underneath it I'm usually left guessing). Generally, for spelling we take the British way and for pronunciation it's a mix of both depending on personal preference and where you're from. My mom pronounces schedule like "shedule" while I say "skedule". She also says "leftenant" and I say "lootenant".

Back on topic... I haven't seen Babel. My friends and I were going to but one of my friends found out it was mostly subtitled and didn't want to see it. So we went to "Because I Said So". Awful. Awful. Awful. I knew with Mandy Moore it was likely to be garbage, but I was expecting more from Diane Keaton.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  20:00:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw Wild Hogs last night and it was a cute movie. Wouldn't win any awards, but not horrible. I really want to see Blades of Glory. Yes, I see the very high brow films.

Go to Top of Page

Wicked
Addled

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  14:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr Wicked and I went to see 300 this morning. Thumbs up from me. Not the Best Movie Ever, but an entertaining way to spend a few hours.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  16:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really? I never would have expected that movie to appeal to non-males. I'm not sure about it myself; I have a feeling if I watch it in more than 30-second doses, I'd go into seizures.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 03/10/2007 16:45:17
Go to Top of Page

Wicked
Addled

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  19:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I may have been the only non-male in the theater. But I did enjoy it. All those Spartans were in really good shape. ;o)

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  22:56:42  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I saw Hot Fuzz on Tuesday with a Q&A with Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. That film is GOLD! I haven't laughed so hard at a film since... well, probably since Shaun of the Dead. It was just so absurdly funny.

The guys were on form too, although they seemed very tired - jetlagged? They'd come from NZ and while there they'd used Peter Jackson's ADR studio to record the commentary for something on the Hot Fuzz DVD. They were weirded out by that.

I wonder what they'll do next? There's something on IMDB called La Triviata about a pub quiz team, but apparently that's not on. Any ideas what is?

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  06:33:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope. However, the trio have mentioned the possibility of Shaun and Fuzz forming the first of a thematic trilogy. If that's the case than I'm betting the next one they do will be a scifi flick.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 03/15/2007 06:34:42
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  06:42:39  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes - they referred to Shaun and Fuzz as the first two in the 'Cornetto Trilogy'. Which made me laugh.

Something scifi would be good, but as long as they stick to comedy. They really are funny guys, so I hope they don't depart from that.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.