United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  03:52:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wikipedia is your friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Jones%27s_Locker
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraken
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_man%27s_chest
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Dutchman

As usual with Wikipedia, there are no sources, but they provide a useful starting off point for personal research

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  19:08:45  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I only caught every other sentence of the fortune teller woman too. Perhaps they should have subtitled her. :)
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  02:56:19  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the links, Diri--that was the kind of stuff I wanted to know. I followed a few links and did some more searches and they all were pretty much in line with wikipedia versions.

Ben, I agree--she was hard to understand, but the second time through I caught most of it. Accents are great, but not when they make it impossible to understand what the character is saying--and her dialogue was really pretty important to the story.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  07:14:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found her quite easy to follow actually...

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  12:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw "Superman Returns" Thursday afternoon at the IMAX. It was pretty good. Brandon Rouch did a very nice job and Kevin Spacey was wonderful as Lex Luthor. The 3-D didn't really do much for the movie, though. It was rather distracting. I've always liked the dark brooding character of Batman better than goody-goody Super-Duper Man (and no, I did not like Val Kilmer or George Clowney as Batman), but this portrayal worked for me.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  20:05:47  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I still haven't seen Superman--can't seem to drap hubby to the movie, and it's not the kind I'll go to alone.

However, it's over 90 degrees again, so I talked Sarah and Denene into going to "The Devil Wears Prada" with me this afternoon, thinking that sitting in a cold theater would be a good thing and I wanted to see the movie anyway.

Well, the movie was very good--I love Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway was good as well. But the theater was not cold--someone apparently forgot to tell them to turn on the air conditioning. Or maybe it was that the theater was fairly full, and they didn't adjust the temperature for the number of people.

Back to the movie--if that doesn't cure people of wanting to be involved in the fashion industry, then they deserve the life they get. The movie is funny and poignant in parts. One of the funniest parts, if you haven't heard is when Miranda (Streep's character) sends her assistant (Hathaway) out to get the latest Harry Potter book--the unpublished one. What a hoot.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Wicked
Addled

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  07:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We saw Monster House this weekend, I went in with high expectations and was disappointed. My 8 year old son loved it, but the rest of us were bored. It had cute moments, but not enough laughs.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  11:56:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised by Monster House's critical reception. The trailer didn't wow me. I think I would still prefer Monster Squad [:-)]

Just got back from Superman Returns. OK, but not terrific. Lacked a certain spark, an epic feel. Singer really isn't very good at grandeur; his X-Men movies always felt closed in and small-scale, even when Storm was launching tornadoes, and I got the same feel with this one. Plus I felt that the dialogue should have been delivered more snappily. Routh was good; his Christopher Reeve impersonation was eerie at times. Kate Bosworth is prettier than Margot Kidder (though less distinctive), but I never really got the sense that her Lois was a reporter, as I did with Margot's Lois. I also can't believe that movie cost $200 million plus. The first Superman movie cost about half that, even adjusting to inflation, and it was done using all-practical effects, and yet it seemed greater and more epic than anything in this movie.

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Lesley
Giddy

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  11:10:06  Show Profile  Visit Lesley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eeyore

One of the funniest parts, if you haven't heard is when Miranda (Streep's character) sends her assistant (Hathaway) out to get the latest Harry Potter book--the unpublished one. What a hoot.

Hahaha, good to hear they kept that one in the movie.
Naturally that part of the book made me giggle a lot as well. I remember that when I read she talked to someone from Bloomsbury, my first thought was indeed "Hehe, Harry Potter". I was still surprised though that it did have something to do with Harry Potter.

Unfortunately I can't see the movie before September, that's when it opens here.

You said "It's time to do some bleeding...time to cry the past away."
~ Richard Ashcroft
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  17:09:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a heads up for scary movie fans; a very good and very scary British horror flick released last year is finally getting a US release on Friday. It's called The Descent and it is the most scared I've been in a theatre for a very long time. Note: if you don't like the way it ends, wait for DVD; the original British ending is better.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  18:08:42  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ooh, I'm not sure I want to see Descent. I think of being stuck underground in a series of small tunnels as one of my worst fears.

I managed to see Poseidon last night and it really was rather ordinary. As I've just suggested, the most effective part of the movie was probably the cheapest to make; where they're stuck in the shaft with water rising below them. As for the rest of the film, it really did become a competition to see which irritating character would be killed off next.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  11:34:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found out that Tim Burton and Johnny Depp are planning to make a film version of "Sweeney Todd"-- yes, a musical. Depp is slated to do his own singing. Perfectly dark story, but I wonder if Depp will have a strong enough voice to pull it off. I love the filmed performance with George Hern (and Angela Lansbury). Hern has a very strong voice and, honestly, will always be Sweeney to me. We shall see.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  17:34:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We saw Monster House last week. Our oddball family really liked it, but then again it was right up our twisted, dark alley. Daugther caught on quite quickly about Mr. Nebbercraker-- and felt sorry for his wife. Chowder reminded me of a kid I went to school with-- he had the right moves and everything.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  16:02:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got back from Neil LaBute's "Wicker Man" remake.

I would say spoilers, but I doubt there's a human alive who doesn't know how "The Wicker Man" ended, so I'll just plough on.

Anyway. After "In the Company of Men," many accused Neil LaBute of being misogynistic. I found that movie actually pretty misanthropic, especially at the end, when the girl, who had been psychologically tortured throughout the film by the two psychopathic male leads, finally, for all intents and purposes, wins. So when I heard he planned to remake "The Wicker Man", my first thought (after "Why?") was how his savage take on gender politics would influence what is, essentially a story about the clash between a patriarchal, Christian modern world and a culture that has embraced sacred sexuality and the sacred feminine. When he heard that he planned to make the US Summerisle a matriarchy, my interest only increased. Having seen it, I have to concede a point to LaBute's feminist detractors. This movie, whatever else it may be, is pretty darn misogynistic.

I'm sure LaBute would disagree, but I'm not entirely sure what arguments he'd put up in support of his position. The movie is essentially a modern ancient Greek fable about the dangers of gynocracy; what happens when women get out of hand. That hand, of course, being the correcting fist of Man, ably demonstrated on multiple occasions by the increasingly frantic Nicolas Cage, who plays the character played by Edward "Equalizer" Woodward in the original. His name is Edward. He recieves a letter from an old flame, Willow Woodward (in-joke, ha ha) played by the drop-dead-gorgeous Kate Beahan, an actress I haven't seen before but for whom I just might follow to a possible death by fire. Turns out she's had a daughter, and that daughter's gone missing. So, in the spirit of forgiveness, or perhaps something more innately male, he heads off to Summerisle (or Summersisle, as it is unneccessarily called here) to find her.

Turns out the entire island is run by women. Men seem to keep a fairly low profile. Only girls are in the classrooms. Only women speak. The leader of the "colony", as it's called, played with able creepiness by Ellen Burnstyn, makes about fifty analogies more than enough to make clear that their community is modelled on a beehive, with a purely female workforce, a purely procreational sexual function, and men who are just drones for begetting more supersisters. What they do to their men isn't explicitly stated but it's made fairly clear by the end. Anyone who knows what happens to real honeybee drones can get a pretty good idea.

Of course, if this had been an ancient Greek fable, say, "Hercules and the Island of the Bee Women," Hercules would have seduced the beautiful daughter of the savage Queen, and she would have been so overpowered by his pure, masculine demigodly studliness that she would have betrayed her mother, ruined her own life and run off with him, only to either a) betray Hurcules and try to kill him or b) be betrayed by Hercules and kill herself. But this is the 21st century, and things don't work out that way these days.

The film is essentially a "straight" retelling of the first film, with all the idiosyncratic bits taken out. That means there are no musical numbers, no poetry recitals, no Oxbridgian debates about the nature of morality and no cross-dressing Christopher Lee. But that also means that pretty much everything that made the first film interesting is also gone. The end could have used, as the first one did, a rousing chorus of that ridiculously cheery number, "Sumer is i cumin in." Indeed, that's what seemed most missing from this flick: levity. For all its cultishness and burning strangers alive, the original Summerisle actually seemed like a pretty fun place to be; free love, happy children, great music, maypoles. There really was a suspicion that they may have found the better way to live than their devoutly Christian unwitting victim. This place was more like the Borg Collective in bonnets. Everyone seemed pretty unhappy to be there, which made their actions all the more puzzling.

On the whole then, can't really recommend it. But then I'm only a drone. What do I know?

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 09/01/2006 16:08:41
Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  23:43:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it was just weird that they remade it. Then...I figured..oh well..They must have just figured no one knew about the original.

Then..on TV yesterday...I noticed whoever owns the rights to the original is advertising it for sale and mass redistribution : P

pffttt!...people make odd choices when doing remakes. Sometimes they're good, and or original. But so often they're a waste of effort.
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  07:58:28  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There have been some odd release dates for film here is Aussieland. I know that several of the films just coming out are already on DVD in the US of A. So naturally I've already seen the tastiness of Radha Mitchell in the dreck that is Silent Hill.

I watched 16 Blocks today and quite enjoyed that. I mention it because I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. Maybe because I was running on three hours sleep explains why I can't explain what I liked so much about it.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  10:47:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Husband watched "V for Vendetta" again the other night. I didn't see the whole thing since I was busy, but the parts I did see, I liked-- especially the v word opening speech Hugo Weaving's character makes. There's another man with a great voice.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  14:07:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bee and I saw Alfonso Cuaron's Children of Men when I was over in Ireland. It doesn't shift Stateside until Christmas (which is apt), but I can only say to all you Yanks, go see it. It's really good.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  17:16:08  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I watched Thank You For Smoking and found it an excellent satire of American values. Most amusing!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  21:03:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an urgent recommendation to anyone who is able to get to a Disney Digital theatre: go see The Nightmare Before Christmas in 3-D! We went today and it was definitely worth the drive to Myrtle Beach to see it.
Now, you have to understand, my family LOVES this movie to begin with. We have several versions in our video/DVD collection and have watched it many times over the last thirteen years. We know all the songs by heart and not a few of the lines. Daughter's second big crush was Jack Skellington (the first was Casper). So we thought we knew this film backwards and forwards. Imagine our surprise when we saw details we had never noticed before! The 3-D was unbelieveable-- better than the IMAX. I never realised the textures were so rich!

Anyways, it was a great way to celebrate the movie's 13th birthday and Halloween. Daughter had never seen it on the big screen, so it was a treat for her too. Go see it if you get the chance!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  01:55:45  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh, I want to see Children of Men! The Boy went to see it and described it as 'disturbing... but good.'

I watched The Da Vinci Code on DVD last night - TOTAL ARSE.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Giddy

20 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  04:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well come on Myf! Why would you, a Richard-Dawkins-reading, Stephen-Fry-adoring neuroscientist wannabe, even WANT to see that film? It runs counter to everything you are.
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  04:57:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oop. That was me. Forgot I was still guested.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  05:30:58  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey! I AM a neuroscientist, thank you!

My mum rented it and I was keeping her company (hadn't seen her for a few months). It was so much worse than the book (which I vaguely enjoyed on a 'oh, it's nonsense but at least slightly engaging' level) - random exposition, SO MANY FLASHBACKS, terrible acting, ridiculously long, very clunky... Quite apart from the poooeness of the source material it was a completely awful film.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  05:32:12  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ah - I see even the Irish version of a well-known swear word (a.k.a. "whiteness") gets picked up by Filch around here.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  05:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hey! I AM a neuroscientist, thank you!

Oh, have you graduated? I hadn't heard that! Well done then!

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  09:31:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw The History Boys.

Loved it.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  21:04:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

This is an urgent recommendation to anyone who is able to get to a Disney Digital theatre: go see The Nightmare Before Christmas in 3-D! We went today and it was definitely worth the drive to Myrtle Beach to see it. Now, you have to understand, my family LOVES this movie to begin with. We have several versions in our video/DVD collection and have watched it many times over the last thirteen years. We know all the songs by heart and not a few of the lines. Daughter's second big crush was Jack Skellington (the first was Casper). So we thought we knew this film backwards and forwards. Imagine our surprise when we saw details we had never noticed before! The 3-D was unbelieveable-- better than the IMAX. I never realised the textures were so rich!

Anyways, it was a great way to celebrate the movie's 13th birthday and Halloween. Daughter had never seen it on the big screen, so it was a treat for her too. Go see it if you get the chance!

Can you believe I've never seen this movie? I don't know why, but I just haven't. It's even been on television frequently, but I've just never gotten around to watching it.

I must say, I've been watching the previews for Casino Royale and wooo the new James Bond is just something else. I'm definately not a James Bond fan and can't stand the movies, but I can appreciate a guy in a tux with a British accent. The only reason I watched the beginning of the movie "The Tuxedo" just to see Jason Isaacs walk around in a tux. After he kicked it, I turned it off. I'm too shallow sometimes.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  20:04:15  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I saw Keeping Mum this afternoon--and loved it. It's one of those Maggie Smith gems (along with Rowan Atkinson and Kirsten Scott Thomas and Patrick Swayze), that didn't make it to the huge theaters--what a shame. For me, that usually means a trip to Seattle, which just isn't fun, even though I love the Landmark theaters there. But then a friend reminded me of the Grand Cinema in Tacoma--similar. I will be checking their movies more often, as it's much easier for me to get there and there is a small parking lot nearly next door.

Anyway, the movie was really funny, in an odd sort of way. Frying pans and irons and old trunks will never look the same to me again.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  09:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mum and Dad like to see movies at the Blue Mouse in the Proctor District of Tacoma. They get some of the smaller releases (like "Mrs. Henderson Presents" and "Ladies in Lavender") but the main draw is that the crowds aren't as large and annoying. Any time my parents don't have to drive into Seattle is a plus in my book. Things change in that city too quickly for them. They argue about which way to go while they are going-- scares me to death-- and Daddy's reaction time has slowed a lot (well, he is nearly 84).

Incidentally, Eeyore, Family and I will be home for the holidays. If you're not too busy, perhaps we can get together?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.