Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  15:07:47  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message Send Eeyore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are other movies out there, besides Harry Potter, you know. And there have been some interesting, and are some coming up that look like fun. So, I thought it would be nice if we had a place to discuss those as well.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  15:27:29  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've been looking forward to seeing the movie, "Snow Cake", with Alan Rickman, Sigourney Weaver, and Carrie-Anne Moss since I first heard about it. But it seemed more and more that I would have a long wait till the dvd came out. This winter it was screened at the film festival in Germany, then in mid-May at Tribeca, and I was delighted to learn it would be part of the Seattle International Film Festival. I've never gone to any of the films before, so I had to do a lot of searching on the SIFF web site, and found "Snow Cake" listed.

Laura and I like the same kind of movies, so she's the one who got the second ticket. We went up early enough in the afternoon to have tea, do some shopping, have an early dinner and get to the theater--Lincoln Square Cinemas--early.

With any SIFF screening, there is always the possibility and the hope that someone from the film will be there to talk about the film, answer questions and so forth. But if the director, Marc Evans, or any of the cast were there, they were very quiet and no one knew it. That really was my only disappointment in the evening.

"SNOW CAKE"--my review:

I really liked this movie, from the beginning to the end. It's very well cast, and well acted. The set-up is that Alex is in a truck stop, sitting alone, reading his book. That's a usual signal to most people that you don't want to be disturbed, but Vivienne wasn't most people and singled Alex out as the person she most wanted to talk with. She is hitch hiking and Alex reluctantly gives her a ride; then they are hit by a semi and she is killed (if you've watched the trailer, you already know that, which is why I've included it here); he survives without much more than a head ache. He goes to see her mother to give her some things that Vivienne had bought for her, and to offer his condolences. But once he meets Vivienne's mother, Linda, the story becomes something quite different.

Linda is a high functioning autistic woman who lives a very ordered life; she is isolated by her autism and by the fact that she is different. We've already learned that Alex has a past that has isolated him as a result of choices he made, though by that time, Alex is neither threatening or scary in any way. Soon after he arrives at Linda's house, he finds it impossible to leave and agrees to stay till the day after Vivienne's funeral. Maggie is Linda's next door neighbor, but Linda won't talk to her and, it turns out, has quite a misconception about Maggie.

Without going into the story more than that, I want to make a few comments about it. At the start of the movie, there are black specks floating on the screen, like you get with an old home movie. The camera work through the first part is shaky, also like a home movie. I'm not sure why, but the floating specks are an opposite of the white snow that Linda loves--a contrast of the darkness that Alex feels with the joy and lightness that Linda feels. (That's what I would have liked to ask Marc Evans about--if that was the intention, or if there was something else that I missed.)

Each of the three main characters are struggling with life. Linda, as an autistic woman, strives to maintain her dignity, the order in her life and her privacy, which she so highly values. Alex is struggling with guilt for things that happened in the past, and now for the death of Vivienne, Linda's daughter. Maggie lives in a town where everything she does is watched, and even though she has lived there for 12 years, it's clear that she doesn't fit in any better than Linda.

Their lives seem to collide at times, other times they blend together naturally and easily. But it all happens because of the vibrant life of Vivienne, who is no longer there. Vivienne's death and the preparation for her funeral bring a kind of healing to all three. There is no fairy tale ending, but an ending which is true to the characters and the place where they live. It's that sense that, as we go through life, we cross paths with many people, some who are quite different than ourselves. But for reasons we don't understand we are thrown together and sometimes find healing and understanding where we least expect it.

For all the seriousness of the subject--death and autism--the movie is filled with funny moments. I never felt that the audience was laughing at Linda, but rather, we laughed at the wry humor of Alex as he tries to fit in with Linda's regimented life-style. His time with Maggie gives us another glimpse of who he is, as their relationship is romantic yet also filled with laughter and compassion. Vivienne would have been pleased to know that she brought so much joy to three people who were lonely. "Snow Cake" is one of those movies that I want to see again; parts were sad, parts were funny, but mostly it's a story of the warmth and caring that we should all show one another, no matter what our circumstances are in life.

This is not a movie about autism, which is very different in each person; rather it is a movie about a woman who is autistic and shows how this one woman relates to other people, to her daughter's death and how she and those around her cope with their grief. After reading some comments on the Internet movie data base about this movie, I was interested to learn that Angella Pell, who wrote the screen play, has an autistic son. The character of Linda is based on a woman that she knows. And Sigourney Weaver spent a lot of time with her, in learning about this particular character who has autism. Her portrayal gives us that picture of an adult who sometimes seems as ordinary as the rest of us, and sometimes seems child-like, and sometimes seems completely removed from her surroundings. Alex, who is unsuspectingly thrown into Linda's world, shows the frustration of trying to communicate with an adult who doesn't relate to others in any way he would expect.

I just realized that there are two scenes in the very long trailer for "Snow Cake" that is posted at the Fortissimo Films web site that were deleted. One is just a line, but the other is the scene in McDonald's when someone comes up to tell Alex how much she admires caregivers. I'm not sure why that was left out, as his answer is classic, but I'm also not sure how it really would have fit with the tone of the movie. Perhaps that's the reason it was deleted.

Edited: If you haven't seen the trailer, you can find it here:
http://www.fortissimofilms.com/catalogue/title.asp?filmID=264

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non

Edited by - Eeyore on 06/15/2006 15:31:29
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  17:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We saw "Over the Hegde" a couple of weeks ago, too. It was pretty good. Only the third movie of Bruce Willis's that I've liked. He's so much cuter as a raccoon.

"Cars" was really good. I wasn't sure about it-- the subject wasn't that interesting. But when I saw the backgrounds in previews, I had to see it. They are absolutely amazing. I can't wait to see it on DVD so I can pause the picture and count all the cars in the mesas. And the movie take-offs at the end-- Toy Car Story & Monster Cars, Inc.-- what a hoot!

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  17:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooh, I forgot about "Nanny McPhee"! We watched it the other night on DVD (wonderful invention). I really liked it, but then I would-- just look at the cast. Emma Thompson wrote the screenplay, too. Imelda Staunton was wonderful as Cook. I could see her as Dolores without any difficulty.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  17:41:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the Snow Cake review, Eeyore. I hadn't heard of it before, but I definitely want to see it now.

Another film I really want to see is The Wind that Shakes the Barley. It recently won the Palme D'Or in Cannes and is already causing a lot of controversy over here despite the fact that it hasn't yet been released. It's directed by Ken Loach (who's British), and is about the War of Independence in Ireland and the civil war that followed. It's controversial because some journalists who've seen it feel that it amounts to blatant propaganda for the "Republican cause" (i.e., the IRA and their ilk), though other sections of the media have defended it from these accusations. I want to make my own mind up about it, so we'll see...

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  22:48:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Date Night!!!
We went to see X-men 3. Thanks for telling me to wait for the Easter Egg at the end, Eeyore. I might have missed it otherwise. Yes, indeed they did leave it wide open for another sequel.
Daughter was hoping to get to see X3, but no way. She really likes Captain Picard/Charles Xavier and Wolverine. Combine the violence and the damage to her favourite characters and that makes for a tear filled evening.

I just love Wolverine, he's so ferral.(Yes, I know that's a badger, but I don't have a wolverine icon.)

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Wicked
Addled

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  09:10:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I definitely want to watch Snow Cake, but don't know if I'll get the opportunity. I can't even save it for my netflix queue. There is another AR movie out there somewhere that we'll never get to see, The Search for John Gissing.

I enjoyed Over the Hedge, it wasn't the best kids movie, but we did all enjoy it. Nanny McPhee was good too, but I enjoyed it more than the kids did.

Recently watched Stay, the ending didn't work for me, when you find out the ending is about what happened to one character, you wonder why the movie is told from a different character's point of view. But it didn't work in a very interesting way, so I think it is worth renting, just to check it out.

I'm curious to see the new Omen movie, but will wait and rent it.

Also watched Bloodrayne, which really was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Horrible horrible horrible. Mr Wicked picked it, I blame him.

Went to see The DaVinci Code and was underwhelmed by it.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Wicked
Addled

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  13:27:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An article for the X-men fans.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds34311.html

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  13:56:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooohies! A wolverine movie!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  19:27:01  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think I might go and see 'Wah Wah' tonight - Richard E Grant's semi-autobiographical film about an English ex-pat family in Swaziland. Brilliant cast and it looks great.

Anyone seen it?

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  14:02:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yes. Emily Watson. Strange that she should feature in a post above mine.

Haven't seen any movies recently; just bought a DVD of a slasher I like a lot, called "The Descent." Comes out in the US on August 4, though I hear the ending's been made nicer to please the American market. Anyone who likes scary movies should definitely check it out.

http://www.transformersmovie.com/

Michael Bay's movie of TransFormers (yes, weird, isn't it?) has a trailer out. Takes ages to load and you have to have Shockwave and Flashplayer. It also helps if you don't know that Mars's sky is pink, not blue, that the Beagle 2 mission was headed by Europeans, not Americans, and that it was a lander, not a rover. Oh well.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  22:51:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just went to see "The Devil Wears Prada". It was fun. Not what I expected, but fun. And it was the first thing I've ever liked Anne Hathaway in. Could be because it was also the first non-Disney thing I've seen her in.

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

SweetPea
Addled

Canada
184 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  02:51:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cour, did you see Brokeback Mountain? She was in that, a little more grown up roll for her.

I really want to see "The Devil Wears Prada", but I have to see it this week because on Friday POTC 2 comes out!!11!!!!!1!!!eleven!!!!!

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  03:22:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm really looking forward to that! Bill Nighy! As a squid!

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  06:38:52  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I was dragged along to Superman last night. I think it's the best I could have expected with the subject material.
Go to Top of Page

IrishCal24
Giddy

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  13:24:11  Show Profile  Visit IrishCal24's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I loved Superman Returns. It's not as spot-on as Batman Begins but just as good in its own way. Brandon Routh does a damn fine job of honoring Christopher Reeve while making the role his own. Kevin Spacey is perfect as Lex Luthor, the one thing that needed improvement from the Richard Donner film. He's genuinely menacing without losing his wit. Kate Bosworth pleasently surpised me despite some inconsistancies from the first two films characterization of Lois. I honestly expected her to be the weak link in an otherwise excellent adult cast, but she wasn't at all.

I'm tired so it's hard to collect the rest of thoughts but I'll edit this post later with more

Nicholas Angel: And are they as big as he is
Danny Butterman: Who?
Nicholas Angel: The mum and the sister?
Danny Butterman: Same person.
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  13:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cal! I've been meaning to ask if you enjoyed X3. Me? I liked it a lot.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  15:26:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watched "The Devil Wears Prada" again last night because my friends wanted to see it and there was nothing else we could all agree on. Thought I should mention the huge Harry Potter reference... The main character (Andy) does something that almost costs her her job, but her boss decides to give her a second chance and says that she wants the new Harry Potter book for her daughters and that if she can't get it, she shouldn't bother coming back to work. But, of course, this doesn't mean the Half-Blood Prince, this is the unpublished manuscript for book seven. And I won't tell you what happens.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

IrishCal24
Giddy

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  12:00:51  Show Profile  Visit IrishCal24's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed X3 as well diricawl, enough to see it three times. While I felt it wasn't quite on the level of X2, I blame the shortcomings fully on the suits at Fox for being hell-bent on beating Bryan Singer's Superman to the box-office. If Ratner and the writers had had more time I have no doubts that it could have been a better film. It two greatest flaws were, in my opinion, a lack of further character development and running time. The former would have given the movie even greater emotional depth while the latter would have allowed the film's makers more time to flesh out the plot(s). There was really enough story material for two sperate films but I would have been satisfied with 30 - 45 minutes.

On the positive side, it did still pack an emotional punch, more so even than Singer's films. I was near tears during the funeral scene. Also, there is some interesting food for thought in the "cure" scenario.

Nicholas Angel: And are they as big as he is
Danny Butterman: Who?
Nicholas Angel: The mum and the sister?
Danny Butterman: Same person.
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  12:11:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't like X3 as much as the first two... at all. It was way too rushed. It was almost an hour shorter than the other two!

Anyway... saw Superman Returns the other day. LOVED it. Absolutely loved it. I'll probably see it again soon.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  20:36:37  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
AAAARRRRRRR!!!!! Be ye warned--I'm off to see Pirates tonight at midnight with eight other would-be pirates. Yo ho, yo ho, ....(could this be kraken?)

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  02:45:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice that they're doing a simultaneous release in England for Pirates. I'm off to see it tonight, after I do the necessary work I've been procrastinating on.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  00:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw Pirates. Didn't like it as much as the original, and found the story confusing at times (way too much going on), but I still liked it and was entertained, so I'll probably buy it on DVD and go see the 3rd one (well, considering the ending, how could I not?)

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  03:56:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, the ending was so cool. People in the theatre clapped. I really enjoyed it. I think you're right in saying there were a few too many plots running at once, but everything came together in the end.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  16:04:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
**POTC SPOILERS WITHIN**

quote:
Originally posted by diricawl

Oh, the ending was so cool. People in the theatre clapped. I really enjoyed it. I think you're right in saying there were a few too many plots running at once, but everything came together in the end.

You're right, I understood everything by the end, but at times during the movie I was confused. That could also be because some of the crucial information was given in an accent that I had a very hard time understanding (I barely caught half of what that woman was saying).

I was really surprised by the ending, now that I think about it. There wasn't much of a denoument. It slowed down a little when they were in the hut, but there was still so much left hanging that I wasn't ready for it. But I still enjoyed it.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  16:14:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That fortune teller was cute. She's played by the same actress who was in 28 Days Later.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Wicked
Addled

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  16:17:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got back from PotC. When it was all over, my 8 year old son goes "well, that was short!!" He did take a bathroom break though. He loved it. He loved the Kraken. (sp?)

The best part though, was before PotC, when they showed the preview of the Transformer movie, the look on his face was priceless, it was as if Santa had walked into the theater. A lot of people seemed excited about that one.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  17:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aargh. Don't get this space nerd started on that trailer. There were so many scientific mistakes made in it that I almost heaved. Still, that's to be expected from the guy who made Armageddon.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Wicked
Addled

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  18:48:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you are 8 it is easy to over look scientific mistakes.

Also wanted to say, I thought the first PotC movie was better, but I'm looking forward to the third. I also had a hard time understanding the 28 Days Later actress. (loved 28DL, btw) And thought the plot was convoluted. But still was fun.

Speaking in code here: the character that goes missing at the end, I wonder how far into the third movie we'll have to wait to see them.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  22:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*Spoilers Again**

quote:
Originally posted by Wicked

Speaking in code here: the character that goes missing at the end, I wonder how far into the third movie we'll have to wait to see them.

My bet is half-way through-ish. Like a Gandalf thing. (Well, almost. Gandalf disappeared in the middle and turned up at the beginning. This character disappeared at the end and I bet will turn up in the middle). We know this character survives because the actor/tress has said publicly s/he signed on for the third movie. But, then again, there was another character who died in the last one who appeared again (I wonder how they'll explain that).

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - Cour_Delafleur on 07/08/2006 22:55:52
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  01:15:27  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I loved it. It is different than the first movie--I like them both. I thought this one was much funnier--I laughed a lot in this one. And some things were creepier, though not as creepy the second time through. We went to the midnight show--there were nine of us--and then Sarah and I went again on Sunday afternoon. It was better when I was wide awake. And yes, Tia's accent was very hard to understand the first time through.

I feel the need to find out more about the legend of Kraken, Davy Jones and the Flying Dutchman. I don't know enough to know whether they stuck to the legend or whether they did a Rowling and twisted the legends to suit their own purposes.

I hope y'all stayed through the credits, as there is an easter egg at the end. Funny one.

And, um, yes, the character who appears and the one who goes missing--that's why I want to know more about the Kraken legend. But there were a lot of interesting clues sprinkled throughout the movie that I saw the second time.

SPOILERS AHEAD, MATEY! BE YE WARNED! (In other words, don't highlight if you don't want to see them.)

Beckett seals a letter, which we see up close. The next time we see something like that is when Elizabeth picks up a letter, with the red seal towards the audience, from the big chest on the beach. Is the letter from Beckett, and if so, why is it in Davy Jones's chest?

Beckett is constantly having the world map updated and mentions it at one point, as having all the edges filled in. A nice foreshadowing for the 3rd movie about the end of the world.

Beckett (he was full of interesting things that weren't ever explained) says, while looking at a branding iron with a "P" for "pirate" that he and Jack left their marks on one another. We know what mark Jack has--what's the mark that Beckett has from Jack?

And while we are on Beckett--why would he want the chest from Davy Jones anyway? And what will he do with the, um, package from Norrington? Does that all mean that Beckett, like Jack, owes some debt to Davy Jones?

Jack pilfers a ring when Tia is getting his jar of dirt. But also on the table there is a silver heart, very unusual, except that it exactly matches the one that is a music box that is with Davy Jones. Is she the one he fell in love with, or is it someone else, but Tia knows who she was, or has some sort of control over her.

And with Jack's last appearance in the film, is there more to the Kraken legend? I'm thinking of something about attacking the monster in the proper place. After all, Jack's hat was intact, just disgustingly slimey.

And then there was the dog in the easter egg. Are they leaving him there, or will they have to go back to that island for something. Didn't the dog have the prison keys when he jumped into the water?

Well, if I did that right, it shouldn't spoil the story for anyone, unless you couldn't resist highlighting the invisible text. At least, if I did it right, it's invisible--and if it's not, I'll delete it.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non

Edited by - Eeyore on 07/11/2006 01:16:46
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.