Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 First Floor.......................Canon Obsessions
 Philosopher to Hallows
 Snape is a Nasty, Underhanded Slimeball (SINUS)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  19:15:17  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ooh, yes please. Looks like a day for having them outside.
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  07:46:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*loads plate with cinnamon buns*
*curls up in squishy chair*

Hi all! Sorry I've been absent (from posting, I have been lurking). I've been busy with real life. I'm on vacation now so I have many lazy days ahead of me.

What's so frustrating about DD's guilt is that 1. we know so little of the man's past and personal life 2. he was so old, who knows how many things he may feel guilty about.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  17:33:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's true - we know NOTHING of his family and I thought JKR even said we had to consider his family as something of importance - HOW can we do that when we know nothing of it????

Possibly someone we know of is related to Dumbledore but I sure hope it's not Harry or Snape - that would get icky, either way. The auburn hair is funny because DD, Lily and the Weasleys are notable for their red hair. So a logical connection would be Lily, but.. isn't it a bit late for that? I hope she doesn't spring any big "WHOOPS, here's something you didn't know!" familial connections on us, but there's probably something.

Come to think of it - the Black family tree shows that the Blacks are related to just about every known pureblood family but NOT to any Dumbledores... does that mean DD was of Muggle stock?

Still, when it comes to DD's guilty conscience - don't you think we probably have been given some idea of what he regrets in the first 6 books? I know the hints have to be small but there has to be something. That's why I go for the Longbottom-torture connection, we know of it and it fits DD's guilt-crazed speech in The Cave. But I'm open to suggestions!!!

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Edited by - AMC on 09/25/2006 17:35:06
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  18:31:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've decided I'm dressing up for Halloween this year as a "Desperate Harry Potter fan". I'm going to get a school robe (have a wand already) and carry a handmade sign reading "WILL WORK FOR BOOK 7 HINTS". I'm also going to have a badge with a flippable tag that says "Snape Is" and one side of the Tag will say "EVIL!" and the other "Not Evil"! Good isn't an option with me.

I'm going to probably put my hair up and stick my wand through it so it kind of pokes out on each side and I'm going to get fresh radishes for earrings. Any other suggestions?

Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  00:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC
Any other suggestions?

oh! Pull a Mary-sue and tart it-up a tad...Forget a tad...Tart it up full on
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  01:21:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
- Oh Tsuki, I would.. but it's a neighborhood party with all the Mums and Dads from the area and.. they wouldn't get it. At all. And then I'd have to stand there explaining myself endlessly and STILL get the funny looks all year. They won't even get the signs but the kids will.

Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  12:27:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
peh-tosh! Just say you're Tonks..then you'd be formidable and bawdy. She'll let you borrow her id for the night...I'm sure of it.

More about you Snape sign later...since t actually reminded me of two conversations I'd had this week.

But for now I'm late...

*pop*
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  18:53:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been listening to HBP in my car and I just finished "The Cave" chapter last night. To me, what DD is screaming about sounds like something he personally witnessed, or was personally involved in. I don't think that DD was there for the torture of the Longbottoms. I think what ever he's going on about in the cave happened to someone he was very close to (possibly family) and it was a very long time ago. Jo has said that there's a reason we don't know about teachers families. This could be a reason why.

*pours self generous helping of firewhiskey*

I need this after last night *downs in one gulp, pours another glass*
For details, go to the teashop.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  01:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So do you think there's no chance we'd ever guess it?

If it was in the past - maybe it would be a time when DD lost his family? Since he seems to have none now? Perhaps to the Dark Wizard .. not Gandolf... Grindelwald. What does Grindel mean anyway?

Is it.. possible.. that Dumbledore was, like Snape, once an acolyte of a Dark Wizard and he lost loved ones because of this? And that's why he believed Snape's big story of remorse: because it so closely resembled his own personal history?

Opps - sorry, forgot to join you in a drink. Poor you! I hope you're over the shock by now. *downs a quick butterbeer in sympathy*

Edited by - AMC on 10/09/2006 01:08:46
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  22:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we might figure out bits of it, but I don't think we'll ever figure out the whole story by ourselves. Unless we can start channeling Trelawny and even then, it's hit or miss.

*takes a shot of firewhiskey*

Now I need to drink to deal with the bureacracy! My insurance company is such a pain in the The body shop I want to use to fix my car is "not on their approved list", so now an adjuster from the insurance company has to look at my car to see "if he's charging a fair price." Grrrrrr.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - dobbygirl on 10/09/2006 22:54:01
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  00:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay. but what better have we to do than to channel Trelawny?

What do you think of my idea of Snape's sob story mirroring DD's personal history? it would explain DD's faith where nothign else really has - that he sees his young self in Severus Greasy-Git Snape, of all people!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  17:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just took a fun Harry Potter/Jung Personality Typology test at http://piratemonkeysinc.com/quiz.htm and this is what I got!

Bwahahahaha! I always test INTJ, but Snape? Who knew?
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  17:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had to try that!

Ho ho ho! I got McGonagal! I got McGonagal!

I've never taken one of those tests before - what does ENTJ stand for?

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  17:58:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never mind - I found it. So the difference between you and me, Pixie is introverted vs extroverted? And that's the only difference between Snape and McGonagall? I-Don't-Think-So!

Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  03:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tee hee hee....I was NOT expecting this:

How many different characters are there?

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - dobbygirl on 10/16/2006 03:56:49
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  07:29:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I think Pesky should be banned from this thread following her shocking test result. Shame on you!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!

Edited by - Bee on 10/16/2006 07:31:30
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  15:51:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
- I like that quiz, we all end up different characters! And they do match up the descriptions with the HP characters pretty well.

Bee, I think this just goes to show that it is not just your abilities but the CHOICES you make that form your character. Pixie may have Snape-like qualities but she's made good choices in life.. like, joining SINUS!

DG - something tells me Tsuki would show up as the "other" Weasley twin. Maybe you could make a deal with her - you can be George, she can be Fred.. or vice-versa.

Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  03:09:58  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is the first time in this sorter thing that I've come up as an ISTP. Usually I'm an INTP.

Madam Hooch!?

Edited by - MrBen on 10/17/2006 03:11:00
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  06:41:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be glad, Ben. On that quiz, INTP is Lord Voldemort.
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  16:38:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can more readily see Ben as Lord Voldemort than as Madam Hooch.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  17:27:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm... she has a point.

Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  00:54:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think of Ben as more of a Firenze type..but possibly less nekkid. I can't see him running around Hogwarts nakey and and philosophizing. But..maybe. pfft...who knows. Ben will have to come back and sound off.

Was Firenze even naked at Hogwarts? I mean...did they make him wear pants or something dumb? Or was he just..you know...there?...in all his glory so to speak...

oh..btw..I got -

Edited by - Tsuki Keta on 10/18/2006 00:58:29
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  12:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HA! I knew it!

quote:
Originally posted by Tsuki Keta

Was Firenze even naked at Hogwarts? I mean...did they make him wear pants or something dumb? Or was he just..you know...there?...in all his glory so to speak...

Well there had to be SOME reason Lavendar and Pavarti were so giggly and flirtatious. Maybe Firenze was.. um... endowed like a proverbial horse. I'll bet Umbridge really loved that.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  16:31:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heehee. Frienze wasn't quite naked; he did wear a quiver.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  17:17:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or perhaps he just quivered a little now and then? I think I'm getting a crush on Firenze myself now...

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  12:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pardon me if I take over the dart board for a bit...

*Charms dart-board to represent photo of my daughter's Head of School*

Ah. This is just what I need to relax.

Whap! (got the hair)
Whap! (almost)
Whap! (Getting closer)
Whap! (Yes! Smack on the nose)
Whap! (Whoops, throwing too hard)
Whap! (Oh well, the chin is better than nothing)

That felt great. Anyone for a pint and a game?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  19:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mmmm! A pint sounds yummy. But we need Snape back for a moment.

*points wand at dartboard*

Finite incantatem!

*aims darts*

WhapWhapWhap!

Aaahh, that's better. That was for this passage in Flight of the Prince:

quote:
Snape's pale face, illumiated by the flaming cabin, was suffused with hatred just as it had been before he had cursed Dumbledore. "You dare use my own spells against me, Potter? It was I who invented them -- I, the Half-Bood Prince! And you'd turn my inventions on me, like your filthy father, would you?"

So here, plain as day, JKR draws a direct parallel between the hatred Snape showed when his spells were used against him and the hatred he showed when he killed Dumbledore. Could it be that he was finally releasing the fury of the grudge he'd pent up for the past sixteen years ... payback for the way Dumbledore had favored first James and then Harry over himself?

This has always been Snape's achilles heel. And that night on the tower, he surely deduced that Dumbledore had taken Harry along on his secret mission ... there were two broomsticks sitting there, and Snape was well-acquainted with Harry's invisibility cloak. Snape is a smart man with an uncanny ability to "put two and two together." At that moment, he was surely hit with the full realization that Harry had overtaken him as Dumbledore's protege and confidant. Harry Potter, the son and heir of his most bitter rival, the boy whom he had always considered inferior and undeserving, whom he had worked so hard to suppress, had unseated him -- with Dumbledore's blessing! To a man so hypersensitive about his job and having his own achievements recognized, this had to be the most bitter pill of all.

*sigh*

OK, that's my Snape rant for the month! My job here is done.

*drains pint*

*re-enchants darboard to show AMC's daughter's Head of School*

*grabs pirate and heads for a dark corner*

Edited by - n/a on 10/19/2006 19:46:57
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  01:04:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's okay, the first round took the edge off, we can go back to Snapey-darts now.

*Resets the Greasy One's visage on the dart board*

That's what always astonished me, Pixie - JKR writes Snape in scenes that are pretty much designed to make you hate his guts and yet the Snape-apologsts come along and say "Well, you know James really teased him a lot at school so he earned the hatred Snape felt towards him and that was transferred to Harry and besides Snape had a bad childhood so you can't expect him to behave with any kindness towards anyone else.." and I'm thinking "huh?" Doesn't ANYONE else in the book matter to you? They have even gotten to the point where they blame HARRY for how horrible Snape is! Like a teenager is supposed to be tactful and caring with a 40 year old teacher who hates and abuses him?

That's why I'm happy to hate Snape - I can read the books as JKR intended, being able to cheer the brave hero and boo the nasty villain.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  13:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*emerges from dark corner*
*smooths hair*

Ah yes. Harry-bashing and Marauder-bashing seem to go hand-in-hand with Snape apologism. Not to say that the Marauders and Harry are/were perfect; they certainly aren't. Their flaws have hurt others, particularly when they were young and immature. But they are, on the balance, far and away more noble and honorable characters than Snape ever thought about being.

Snape touches a chord in people precisely because he is so awful. He is our own innermost worst selves personified. This horribleness makes him the ultimate subject for redemption, because if Snape can turn himself around and be saved, then anone can be. That includes each and every one of us who has either done or felt something they are ashamed of. We must see Snape saved because in his redemption we see our own salvation -- a confirmation that our own sins can be atoned for and washed away.

I'd like to say more about marauder bashing and how it relates to our own anger and jealousies, but I have to go back to work.

Goodbye, dear Pirate! *waves*

I'll be back later!
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  13:30:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SINUS? Heehee.

*steals dart-board and runs*

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.