Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 First Floor.......................Canon Obsessions
 Philosopher to Hallows
 Snape is a Nasty, Underhanded Slimeball (SINUS)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  18:49:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hubby was reading this morning and he was on Malfoy Manor. I knew he was getting close to Dobby's death. When he got to the end of the chapter, he turned and looked at me with a pout on his face.

"They killed Dobby." he said. I nodded and his pout got sadder. He didn't cry though. I don't think he will cry at any of them. If he does, it'll be Fred.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  19:36:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awww - what a sweetheart. I love that we're married to HP fans.

Okay, I did get pretty choked up when Harry buried Dobby - again, I think it was the unexpectedness of it.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Edited by - AMC on 07/27/2007 19:36:56
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  19:56:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AMC, is your hubby a HP fan too?

I think it's fun to talk about HP with my husband, because he brings a different perspective to the books than most of us here. His anaylsis isn't quite as involved or academic, and he doesn't overthink things or approach the books with so many expectations. As a resuly, his interpretations are very refreshing and down-to-earth, and I actually think he sees things more as the author intended.

I just asked him if any of the deaths bothered him, and he said no, because it was a war and he expected a lot of deaths. (Typical man!) Clearly, he didn't like to see the good guys get killed, but he was surprised and pleased that noone in Harry's inner circle died. But then he's not the kind of guy to get too worked up over a book, either.

Edited by - n/a on 07/27/2007 21:05:48
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  20:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine neither. Yes, my spouse is a big HP fan - he has read each book after I do (I read fast and compulsively swallow new HPs in one gulp). We have make special "dinner & movie" dates for each new HP movie. He's never been quite as HP-obsessed as I have been but, as you say, that gives you a different perspective. He's in Europe for 2 weeks and he took DH with him, so I haven't heard how he liked it yet.

Edited by - AMC on 07/27/2007 20:57:03
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  21:06:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and since this is a Snape thread, I asked hubby what his opinion was of Snape after Book Seven, and whether he thought Snape was a hero. His anwser, as always, was down-to-earth and sensible: "Snape was not a hero. He was a soldier under orders whose work benefited the good side, but he was doing it all for his own selfish reasons; he was not rooted in principle."

He's getting a kick out of all the people who think JK Rowling doesn't know her own characters, too. But I guess everyone can take from the book what they want; it means different things to different people. If Snape meets someone's definition of "hero," then he's a hero to them, and you simply can't argue with that. I'm glad to know that our interpretation is the same as the author's, though. You can't get any better endorsement -- and at least I know I haven't completely botched my reading of the books, or missed any great message she intended to send. And I think it makes the book more satisfying as a whole that way, because her treatment of the characters makes better sense in that context. That's enough for me.

Edited by - n/a on 07/27/2007 21:19:48
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  12:33:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But.. the BIG question is - does he think Snape's a woobie?

Edited by - AMC on 07/28/2007 12:33:38
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  14:05:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL, without a doubt. He doesn't go for all that sappy sob-story stuff.

Poor Snape. Doomed to woobiedom forever. I almost feel sorry for him for that. Almost.

To Woobies! How amusing they are!

Twelve bottles of butterbeer on the wall,
Twelve bottles of beer,
Take one down, pass it around ...
Eleven bottles of butterbeer on the wall!

Edited by - n/a on 07/28/2007 14:07:55
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  18:39:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My goodness, I forgot to drink!

Eleven bottles of butterbeer on the wall,
Eleven bottles of beer,
Ten bottles of butterbeer on the wall!

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  19:20:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're on the home stretch. What are we going to drink after the butterbeer is all gone *looks around*

Ten bottles of butterbeer on the wall,
Ten bottles of beer,
Nine bottles of butterbeer on the wall!

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  22:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have Never had a problem finding libations in the SINUS club-room. After all, we have our very own magic House Elf.

Nine bottles of butterbeer on the wall,
Nine bottles of beer,
Eight bottles of butterbeer on the wall!

Sigh - I guess after DH we can't really make Snape do our laundry or wears a French Maid's outfit and serve us tea. Too bad - that was such fun.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  23:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We can still throw darts at him, though. Git!

*aims carefully*
*hits abrnomally large nose*

He actually might be easier to hit now that he's dead.

*aims again*
*grazes left ear*

Or maybe I just need more to drink.

Eight bottles of butterbeer on the wall,
Eight bottles of beer,
Seven bottles of butterbeer on the wall!

Edited by - n/a on 07/28/2007 23:41:06
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  12:01:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's high time SINUS had a serious post-DH discussion concerning our favorite Greasy Git.

What do you think of Snape's overall character now that DH is finished? Is his characterization better, now that we know of his undying love to Lily Evans? Do we recognize his nobility for never abandoning his one true love, and for furthinging her dying purpose, even to his last gasp? Or has JKR diluted Snape's wonderful nastiness and made him less interesting with this revalation? Has it made him all the more silly and pathetic-looking, that he couldn't find an independent principle-driven purpose for his life other than continuing to live out his unwavering love for his childhood crush? What do you think?

Edited by - n/a on 07/29/2007 12:02:57
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  13:11:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, good idea.

Stream of consciousness: Snape loved one person and one person only. There was no true compassion in him, no love for his fellow creatures. In his early days, he gravitated towards friendships with thoroughly rotten peopole - people who liked to hurt other people, his crowd was compased of candidates for the DEs, even if they weren't signed up yet. That appeal of the Dark Arts - the power to control and hurt - was stronger than his "love", so he lost Lily's friendship (I don't think it was ever more than that on her side). Only after his devotion to the Dark Arts led him to be a potential accessory to Lily's murder did he wake up and try to fight on DD's side. At that point he swears to help protect Harry? Okay, this is the point I don't really get. I don't have my book so I can't read the memory again - why would this devotion to one person lead him to protect her only "legacy", her child? He clearly didn't care about Harry or James, he clearly didn't want to help the Order just for the sake of the Order's mission - I don't even really think he cared about Voldemort one way or the other. If everything was done in homage to an idol who has left this world - that's just kind of weird.

I guess I'd like opinions - do you think Snape cared about the Order? Or Voldemort? I don't really think I've seen clear evidence that he cared for anything other than Lily. We're supposed to think he cared for Dumbledore because they were tight and because he had all those emotions on his face when he killed Dumbledore, same as Harry had when he poisoned him but - why? Gratitude to someone who saved his sorry ass and gave him a chance to do penance for his sins?

If so then here we go with a religious story - Snape, the sinner, loved Lily. His love was not enough to keep him from sin so he lost her. He comes to Father Dumbledore, who forgives him and gives him a lifelong penance, which he accepts. He then survives for 17 years, being the same nasty person but not sinning (much) and bearing the burden of his penance. He dies in the service of his duty. It's kind of a martyr's story - persecuted and killed for refusing to relinquish one's faith, except his "faith" is a childhood love for one person. It's all kind of shallow.

The unanswered questions I have are - did he really spy for the Order? They never found Voldemort or got very close to his plans, whereas the DEs were privy to a lot of Order information. Was that all Dumbledore's doing? If so, (more) shame on Dumbledore to betray his own side for the "greater good". Either way, Snape doesn't look very rosy - he's either an amoral soldier following amoral orders or he betrayed the Order in all ways except where Harry was concerned.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  15:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I guess I'd like opinions - do you think Snape cared about the Order? Or Voldemort? I don't really think I've seen clear evidence that he cared for anything other than Lily.

I'm thinking it was all Lily. He was attracted to Voldemort's ways, to be sure. That path appealed to the cruel and controlling side of his nature. But in the end Lily held the stronger pull over him. There is a tragical-romantical element this storyline which has obviously captured the imaginations of many a Snapefan. But his love for Lily was plagued by the same dysfunction that plagued the rest of his life. Let's explore that relationship the way JK Rowling wrote it:

"Snape looked no more than nine or ten years old, sallow, small, and stringy. There was undisguised greed in his thin face as he watched the younger of the two girls ..."

He tells Lily very eagerly that she's a witch, and tells Petunia spitefully and dismissively, "You're a Muggle."

Later, Lily asks him: "Does it make any difference, bein Muggle-born?" Snape hesitated, his black eyes, eager in the greenish gloom, moved over the pale face, the dark red hair. "No," he said. "It doesn't make any difference."

Liar! It's pretty clear he was hiding his true opinion, even then, because he wanted her. Then a moment later:

"... [Lily] had stretched out on the leafy ground and was looking up at the canopy of leaves overhead. He watched her as greedily as he had watched her in the playground." And he goes on to drop a tree branch on her sister for intruding, which could have seriously hurt her.

Honeslty, this relationship is looking pretty creepy already. "Undisguised greed" for a girl showing on the face of a ten-year old? Ick! And he's already showing tendencies toward cruelty and possessiveness.

Later on at Hogwarts, he becomes nearly incoherent with jealousy whenever James is mentioned, and threatens to not "let her --". Then, when he learns that their whole family has been targeted for murder, he really only cares about saving her, to have her for himself. Even after she's dead and he's sworn to protect her son as his penance, he's still weirdly possessive of her. I mean, he took a letter where she was wishing love to someone else, and kept the closing lines for himself. Then he took a picture of Lily, James and Harry, ripped it down the middle, kept Lily for himself, and threw Harry and James under the dresser!

With all due respect for the emotion of love, what kind of an unhealthy relationship is this? It's all icky, creepy, and disturbing. No wonder JK Rowling thought it would be horrible to have Snape in love with you!

JKR has clearly and purposefully written plenty of dysfunctionality into Snape's great love of Lily. Yes, it led him to do some very courageous and valuable things, and maybe even realize that mudblood was a nasty thing to say. It was indeed the source of everything good in his sad, strange life. But it was never enough to make him a truly good person, and I would never hold it up as an example of pure love or even *gag* romantic heroism. He was our example of the power of "obsessive love" that Slughorn warned about.

quote:
We're supposed to think he cared for Dumbledore because they were tight and because he had all those emotions on his face when he killed Dumbledore, same as Harry had when he poisoned him but - why?

Ah, you know, I think this is now one the very few moments in the book when I actually respect Snape. It's the only time we ever get some independent emotion out of the man, aside from Looooove for Lily or hatred of the Marauders. I do think he was angry and repulsed by what he was doing. He'd recognized that it could damage his soul (Whoo, a proper realization at last, but still self-serving). However, don't you think he was also pretty angry and repulsed at Dumbledore right then, for manipulating him and putting him in that horrible position to begin with? I'd say he had plenty of ammunition for an AK at that moment.

This moment aside, what I found most lacking in Snape after Book 7 was some sort of driving inner principle other than his odd love-quest. Many in fandom are struggling in desperation to find it, but it simply isn't there. *sigh* I think that's dissatisfying to both camps, both those who hoped for Snape to be a completely vindicated good guy, and those who valued him as a villain. He's a bit the less of each now, and my final conclusion is that this is exactly the way JKR always planned him to be.

I've always maintained that she lost control over Snape's character as she was writing the books. She always had a plan for him, but because he was so much fun to write and read about, he grew beyond that plan in some fans's minds. They developed expectations that were not borne out by the resolution of her plan. The end result is the great outcry we're seeing now in Snape fandom.

I think there are now two Snapes. The first is the nasty, sadistic, child-hating, greasy-haired, curse-flinging, emotionally retarded bully we've come to know and love. And thank heaven that part remains unscathed!

The other is now framed and hangs in the Woobie Hall-of-Fame. Enough said.

Edited by - n/a on 07/29/2007 16:00:40
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  16:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like your point about the "Obsessive love" that Slughorn warned about - it's true, that's exactly what Snape felt for Lily. Greed is not a very attractive emotion, there is something creepy about the obsession Snape had with Lily but somehow it doesn't feel sexual, it doesn't seem like he ever tried to attract her - it's more that she was his idol, his goddess.

I think JKR had a dilemma in DH - on one hand, she had always meant Snape loving Lily to be a plot twist but since so many people were expecting it and so many fans were idolizing her nasty bully, she had to find a way to serve her plot while making it clear he wasn't a nice guy. So I think she might have over-done the wierdness of Snape's love to emphasize that he wasn't the hero - a fruitless endeavor, as it turns out, because people read into her books what they want to. I have a hard time reconciling Lily-Obsessed!Snape with the rotten, powerful wizard of the first 6 books. It's kind of hard to respect someone who lives their life wholy in service of a dead person they hardly knew.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  16:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm - so you think Snape was mostly angry in the "Lightning Struck Tower" because he was placed in the position where he had to kill Dumbledore and join the DE? That's an interesting thought.

Dobbygirl, didn't you have a Tarot interpretation of the Lightning Struck Tower card? Could you find it again? It would be interesting to re-think.

By the way, I loved Flitwick - "You'll do no more murder here" - or words to that effect. How hard must it have been for the Hogwarts teachers, reporting in to the wizard who killed Dumbledore?

Edited by - AMC on 07/29/2007 16:28:34
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  16:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Liar! It's pretty clear he was hiding his true opinion, even then, because he wanted her.

I disagree. I read that as "To me it doesn't make a difference, but to others, it definitely does". If he'd just "wanted" her, he could have pounced on her and left her. There was obviously more than "want" there.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  17:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, obviously there's more than desire involved, but I think he was making a very conscious effort to say what she wanted to hear. More of an, "It doesn't matter to me that YOU are Muggle-born." He wanted to cultivate her good feelings, to stay in her good confidences, because he liked her so much (as he showed in his greedy eyes). If a different muggle-born had asked him the same quesion, I think he would have answered it quite differently. And he did, many times during his school days.

The ickyness of those childhood scenes didn't hit me until I read it over the second time. The first time I was so distracted by the fact that Snily was really happening just as I imagined, that I glossed over the more disturbing descriptors. But the second time through, they jumped out at me. There are some things about those scenes that are meant to be a little disturbing. AMC has a point that JKR might have been trying to overcompensate to an overly-Snape-sympathetic readership.

I knew that not everbody would agree with that reading of the scenes, but I'm sure they don't appear that way by accident. It gives us something to think about.

Edited by - n/a on 07/29/2007 17:58:35
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  22:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

I like your point about the "Obsessive love" that Slughorn warned about - it's true, that's exactly what Snape felt for Lily. Greed is not a very attractive emotion, there is something creepy about the obsession Snape had with Lily but somehow it doesn't feel sexual, it doesn't seem like he ever tried to attract her - it's more that she was his idol, his goddess.
You're right, he probably never tried to have a relationship with her beyond friendship (although he may have harbored a secret desire). His extreme jealousy of her other love-interest was very telling, though.

When I read back over what I wrote above it does seem a bit harsh, but the subtle creepiness of those scenes hit me hard when I read them the second time. But then Snape was a creepy guy ... socially maladjusted. That's probably why he latched on to the first pretty girl who ever treated him nicely, and never let go. The saddest part is that he never got beyond it.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  00:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But... he was pretty obsessed with Lily before she treated him kindly - he pretty much stalked her. It does seem strange.

I think the business of Snape's looking at Lily's skin and her hair before he answers does kind of support your view, Pixie, that it was her personal appeal that had him say being Muggle-born didn't make a difference. He wouldn't have called her a mudblood in his anger at James if it wasn't a term that passed his lips easily. And it's a pretty bad insult.

Let's take a different tack - Snape considered himself the Prince. The Half-Blood Prince. He was very proud of his "Prince" heredity and considered himself a fine wizard. He was irate at other wizards using his inventions, including that awful Sectumsempra spell. WHY didn't he just turn his back on Lily and find a nasty but well-connected Slytherin girl?

Edited by - AMC on 07/30/2007 00:43:48
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  01:07:07  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pesky Pixie

I think there are now two Snapes. The first is the nasty, sadistic, child-hating, greasy-haired, curse-flinging, emotionally retarded bully we've come to know and love. And thank heaven that part remains unscathed!

The other is now framed and hangs in the Woobie Hall-of-Fame. Enough said.

Well said. Snape is definitely an emotard.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Burtnnator07
Addled

72 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  03:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just finished the book for the second time tonight, and I thought I'd point something out I noticed on the second time round.

When I first read the part where Phineas calls Hermione a mudblood and Snape reprimands him, I thought, "Well, I think that's the most tangibly decent thing we've ever seen him do." The part of me that longed for him to have some dwindling shred of humanity was appeased.

However, when I read that scene second time, I couldn't help but think that he probably doesn't care in the least that Phineas insulted Hermione's parentage. I'm sure that every time he heard the word, he harkened right back to it being the downfall of his connection with Lily, thus his distaste for the term.

Gah !

I'm Ginger from way back in the days of the Banana Boards =D
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  11:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I do wish he would have been able to extend his feelings about Lily to the rest of his life ... It is so sad that he had such an apparently strong love, but it only changed him enough to regret what he'd done in regards to HER, and what that had in turn cost HIM. This narrow focus is one of the saddest parts of his story.

JKR has said some very generous things about Snape in her interviews and webchat, including that he's a kind of anti-hero. And she's right, he has done some brave and important things ... all for his great love of Lily. However, the question that will forever seal my opinion of Snape is this:

As the mother of a 17-year old girl, would I ever want someone to love my daughter the way Snape loved Lily?

The answer is now and will always be a resounding no, No, NO!

Snape may have loved Lily deeply, but he didn't love her well. He followed her, hid in bushes and spied on her (not just in the playground, all through school too), showed violent tendencies toward anyone who came between them, and was oddly and selfishly possessive of her even years after her death. He never tried to truly appreciate the things in life that made her happy, her values, or the other people she loved. The fact that less than a year before he died, Snape was still trying to steal her loving words to others, and was still discarding her beloved husband and son like rubbish is telling and disturbing. Yes, he loved her deeply in his way, and yes he redeemed himself of his sins through acts of great loyalty and bravery. However, I would never, never, wish a love like his on anyone I cared about (or didn't care about for that matter.)

JKR mentioned that he was flawed like the rest of us, but I should hope that most of us are not nearly so flawed as he was. There are many, many better people in the HP story and in this world than Severus Snape. There are true heroes all around us and among us -- I only wished they all received the same recognition as this sinner redeemed.

Edited by - n/a on 07/30/2007 11:23:37
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  12:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm - I dunno Pixie, you're kind of contradicting yourself there - on one hand you say you wish Snape could have loved the rest of the world as he loved Lily and on the other you say his love for Lily mostly consisted of scary devotion, stalking and violence towards other people who were dear to her. Personally, I'd say I'm glad he didn't love the rest of the world that way!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  16:51:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - You might be right about that!

I guess what I was trying to say was he wasn't that wonderful to Lily despite loving her so much, but he was even worse to the rest of the world. So if he treated the rest of the world the way he treated Lily (which still wasn't so great), it would have been a huge improvement. He would have gone from being a bitter, spiteful, bigoted, hate-filled sadist-bully who takes out his aggressions on innocent children, to being merely a creepy and jealous, but courageous and loyal semi-stalker. Better, no?
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  17:37:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - so, tell us what you really feel, Pixie!

I don't think I feel quite as rabid about DH Snape as you do - if anything, I'd say my dislike of Snape lost some of its edge just because his whole back story was so wussy. Pre-DH I thought Snape had some really good reason for his dual nature and secretive demeanor, now it seems he's a garden-variety emotard (like that word Myf, thanks) with a 20+ year fixation on a nice young witch who didn't care 2 pins for him.

It reminds me of the old Doobie Brothers song:

She had a place in his life
He never made her think twice

It's just kind of... pathetic.

I'm really more interested in Dumbledore and Snape and who did what for whom. For example, Snape claims he gave Voldy the information that led the DEs to Emmaline Vance in Book 6 - did the greasy git do that of his own free will (being as Amelia's death did not harm Harry so he's off the hook)? Or did DD authorize this as one more sacrifice for Snape's cover? I'd kind of like to think that Snape was not wholly under DD's control because a. It makes Snape less the pathetic follower and b. it makes DD less the immoral leader but given the tenor of DH I'd say it's more likely the latter option.

Either way, it sure makes "Albus Severus" a worse and worse name to saddle a small child with. Yes dear, you are named after an wise old man who authorized his friends' executions and a younger man who helped carry them out. I mean - does anyone get this?

Edited by - AMC on 07/30/2007 17:40:28
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  19:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think my overall opinion of Snape comes off much harsher here than it really is, because this is SINUS and I feel free to delve into the worst about him on this topic. Where else can we come to explore the more creepy and negative aspects of his character without upsetting anyone? I don't hate him by any means -- I just don't love him or heroicize him either. And I agree that he turned into a bit of a pathetic character after DH, which was a bit of a disappointment in itself. He used to be so much fun to dislike, now he's just fizzled into ... soppy milktoast. *sigh*

Oh, I'd love to know what happened in the Emmeline Vance affair! Was it just Snape puffing that he'd provided the information, or did he and Dumbledore really collude to offer her as a sacrifice? After listening to JK answer fan questions, my guess would be that she'd say Snape was playing up to impress Bellatrix and Narcissa. Again, a rather diappointing milktoast answer, but there it is.
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  20:29:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC
Dobbygirl, didn't you have a Tarot interpretation of the Lightning Struck Tower card? Could you find it again? It would be interesting to re-think.

This is what I found online. It's much more expansive than what I have in my tarot books. Of course, when doing an actual reading, location of cards in reference to each other can change what they mean, but this is pretty basic.

going through sudden change
experiencing upheaval
having plans disrupted
being surprised
undergoing a crisis
having routines shaken up
being in chaos

releasing
exploding
having an emotional outburst
erupting in anger
crashing through ego defenses
breaking through pretense
letting everything go

falling down being humbled
experiencing a crash
toppling from the heights
having a downturn in fortune
suffering a blow to the ego

having a revelation suddenly realizing the truth
exposing what was hidden
having a burst of insight
seeing through illusions
getting the answer
seeing everything in a flash

I'll post more thoughts on Snape later. I must head off to work.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Treefrog
Addled

Australia
88 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  04:38:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
It reminds me of the old Doobie Brothers song:

She had a place in his life
He never made her think twice

Wow! So THAT"S the second line in the chorus... I had never been able to get the words to that one - you know, the high, drawn-out notes of 70s groove/pop.
Thanks!

Wow, now I'm going to have that song going through my head....
*starts humming*what a fool belieeeeeeeeeeves.............*

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  10:21:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You let me know if there's any ancient pop you need the words to, Treefrog! I'm the ancient pop music queen! *Looks proud...kinda*

The words I always lost on that song started with "when she rises .." - I always heard to her apartment but eventually figured out it was through her apologies.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.