Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 First Floor.......................Canon Obsessions
 Philosopher to Hallows
 Snape is a Nasty, Underhanded Slimeball (SINUS)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  16:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice try, but he's just taking out the trash. He's bound here magically until you win him back fair and square. No way around it. So if you want to save him, you'd better get over to the Quidditch Pitch and kiss a few flobberworms, hungarian horntails, and three-headed dogs.
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  17:57:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yes, I forgot where that thread was! I've been wondering why the Quidditch Pitch was so popular I must go see who you've all been kissing!

Right then... got him!

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 03/28/2007 18:05:53
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  00:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey! I'm back from Hawaii!!!

*Pours MaiTais and sets out bowls of Macadamia nuts* It was so nice there - I missed you guys but.. let's just say it wasn't a real hardship to be away from the internet!!! Spending time at the ocean with my family was pretty darn great.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  09:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mmmmm.... MaiTais! The perfect cold medicine. Thanks! So.... did you get lei'd?
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  15:37:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not answering that!

Yes, Mai Tais are excellent for colds - lots of fruit juice and vitimin C.

Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  08:44:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And the alcohol has nothing to do with the theraputic effects of a mai tai, uh AMC?

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  15:25:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh - um... hmm, do you think?

So we have Slave!Snape back and Theo's still on vacation.. what chore shall we have him perform now? Pixie's cat boxes are clean, Martje's bathroom is done, my lingerie is hung dry.. Let me think.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  16:58:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know! The chimney flue needs to be swept out. And the firewood cut, split and stacked for next winter. Neatly, now! Don't be getting ashes all over the place. When you're done with that you can pull the patio furniture out of storage and get it ready for this summer's parties. Mind the spiders!

*orders a Mai Tai from Slushy and settles in to watch the show.*

Edited by - n/a on 04/17/2007 16:59:28
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  06:58:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And don't forget the grill! You can't have summer parties without cooking out. We should also stock up on the charcoal for the grill and with all these Mai-tais going around, we definately need the bar restocked.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  10:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm - should we have him shine the grill with enviromentally-correct cleaners and a sponge? That should keep him out of trouble for a while.

Go to Top of Page

Slushy
Giddy

37 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  19:16:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*Walks in with serving tray and distributes Mai Tais.*

*Bows courteously and accepts standing ovations.*

*Walks out.*

Proud House-elf of S.I.N.U.S.

Edited by - Slushy on 04/18/2007 19:17:46
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  22:17:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it my imagination or is Slushy becoming a bit of a diva?

Edited by - n/a on 04/18/2007 22:17:59
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  01:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No.... I can't imagine where you get that idea from, Pixie.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  01:10:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooo - the Dark Wizard thread made me remember Snape taunting poor Tonks that her Patronus had changed shape and was getting weak - probably because she was having trouble thinking any positive thoughts after having been rejected by Lupin. Talk about kicking people when they're down - what a nasty rotter he is! Grrrr.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  11:02:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*kicks the Snape-head ottoman, just for the principle of it*

Edited by - n/a on 04/30/2007 11:03:24
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2007 :  12:45:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, with the countdown to Deathly Hollows closing in on two months, practically the whole world seems convinced that Snape is a good guy. Not much of a big plot twist anymore if he turns out to be on the Order's side, now, is it? He may well be, I don't know, but the tide of public opinion leaves me wondering a couple of things:

1) With everyone so sure they've figured things out, How can JKR have Snape be good and still salvage a rich, plot-twisting suprise where he is concerned?

2) If Snape really turns out to be a good guy, do you think that JKR went too far demonstrating the dark side of his character throughout the books? Most especially, did JKR go too far in the scene on the Tower when he Avada Kedavra's our beloved Dumbledore? Can Snape still be a believable good guy after all that?

Edited by - n/a on 05/14/2007 12:48:10
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2007 :  15:12:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm - interesting questions.

1.) First off, there is so much to answer in Book 7 that even if Snape turns out to be heroic it will merely be one gagging moment in an exciting book. And I don't think he will be - I think we've got some surprises coming and I have enough faith in JKR to think that NOBODY has figured it out quite yet.

Among other things, we've been given very small glimpses of his background - everyone thinks he has had an abusive Muggle father, witch mother - parallels to Voldemort. etc.. yet JKR gave his father the name of of one of the longest-suffering, pious and merciful characters in the Bible, which I find a fascinating discrepency. JKR gets her names from all over but she rarely chooses one out of nowhere. I think we don't really know anything about Snape and we will ALL be surprised.

2.) If Snape turns out to be a good guy.. define "good guy" here, Pixie! I assume you mean "If Snape turns out to be on the Order's side". If he really turns out to be a "good guy" who did everything for the right reasons, excusing all of his sins as planned subterfuges up to and including getting Lupin fired, tormenting his students and killing Dumbledore... I will vomit. If he really is just a nice, good-hearted Order member, then yes - she went too far because she will have betrayed the nasty character she has so nicely fleshed out over 6 books.

If he turns out to be on the Order's side but still a nasty git.. some of it will depend on exactly why he is on the Order's side, something we simply do not understand - none of us, Snape lovers or haters. I personally don't think she's gone so over-board on Snape's bad behavior that she's fated him to be a pure villain, she's left herself plenty of wiggle room, which is exactly what she intended to do.

As written in the first 6 books, Snape's really a nasty rotter. But she's left lots of clues that this nasty rotter might be supporting a good cause.

Now personally, I hope he isn't on the side of right because I really do not think the things he has done are excusable and I really dislike the message of "the ends justifies the means" as I consider that outlook to be responsible for most of the evil in our world. But this is JKR's world, she can do what she wants - I think she has us just where she wants us - we don't know enough and we can't possibly know everything she has in mind.

Edited by - AMC on 05/14/2007 15:13:55
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  00:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*Pours another round of drinks in honor of the new member-in-absentia*

Anyone for darts?

Where is Nuggy, anyway - she was the worst of the dart players. It was nice to have someone who could rival my lack of skill.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  09:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe diri and Myf will scare Nuggy up. I sure hope so! It won't be the same reading DH without her.

*Raises her glass to Jo*
*throws a dart*
*dart actually hits the board*

Oh my, I obviously haven't had nearly enough to drink. Where is Slushy, anyway?

*goes off to try to find renegade house elf*
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  15:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I did locate Slushy, but she doesn't feel like posting right now. She did round up a collection of clever HP icons for me, so that I can post a new one every day until Deathly Hallows is released. So enjoy the changing avatars, courtesy of Slushy!
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  16:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love that one, Pixie!

*Picks up a handful of darts*
*Aims carefully*
*Stops to giggle at how far back everyone has moved from the Snape-board*

Thwack! Thwack! Thwack!

Hmm - apparently, I've had plenty. Thrre darts and I didn't even hit the right wall. Oh well, practice makes perfect - Heads UP!

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  23:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy - what a week! Only 4 days but it felt like eternity. FINALLY Friday night is here!

*Falls into a red squashy chair, orders a pint and pulls out a froth-filled magazine* Ahh - decadence.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  14:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More news about Slushy ... She will be starting a new job soon too: Cashier at the neighborhood grocery. (Just hired yesterday!) It's not a bad job for a seventeen-year-old house elf -- definitely better than her old job of serving fried chicken. She'll come home smelling better too. Our little girl is growing up! *sniff*

Edited by - n/a on 06/02/2007 15:00:36
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  19:43:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!

Who's going to serve us tea and scones? *Starts to cry*

I adore your ever-changing avatars, Pixie - each one is a winner. Disco Dan is hysterical.

Go to Top of Page

Slushy
Giddy

37 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  15:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*A pair of legs topped with a mountain of ominously swaying grocery bags scuttles in.*
*A bag from the tops spills, revealing margarita mix and tomatoes for throwing purposes.*
*Slips and falls, groceries going everywhere.*

I is comin' back with the cardboard cut-out of Snape. It comes with a free flamethrower.

*Digs self out of groceries and walks out to retrieve the rest of the goodies.*

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  16:23:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woot!

*nabs flamethrower*

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  02:05:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*Starts up the blender*

Dibs on the flamethrower when you're through, Martje!

Hmm - can I have one of those ripe tomatoes for the guacamole?

Go to Top of Page

Slushy
Giddy

37 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  12:43:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I is also finding this funny comic for your enjoyment.

Why Snape didn't mind so much...

Edited by - Slushy on 06/04/2007 12:46:54
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  15:38:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice one Slushy! I think Mr. Ben would really like that - DD and his great ideas.

I particularly like Book 3.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  18:01:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, that cartoon has me thinking. To this point, everyone has been caught up in wondering the real reason Dumbledore trusted Snape. However, in our eagerness to understand Dumbledore's motivation, we have never truly explored Snape's motivation with regard to Dumbledore. It's just been assumed that either he's loyal or he's not.

But why should Snape be loyal to Dumbledore? What events could have inspired a man like Severus Snape to be "Dumbledore's man through and through," as so many claim him to be? I'm not asking why he might be against Voldemort, because opposing Voldy doesn't necessarily make him loyal to Dumbledore ... not a man like Snape. I'm asking what, from Snape's point of view, could bind him personally to Dumbledore so closely that he would follow the man no matter what.

Dumbledore did give him a second chance, but is that enough to inspire lifelong gratitude and devotion in the quintessential Slytherin? Especially in light of the fact Dumbledore has done a lot through the years to alienate Snape: He favored James and Sirius, he covered up for Lupin, he failed to keep James and Lily from being killed, he repeatedly passed Snape over for the DADA job, he coddled Harry, he cost Snape his Order of Merlin ... the list goes on, and all these things clearly affect Snape very deeply.

If Snape is indeed Dumbledore's man, I don't think the reason has yet been revealed. Given what we've seen in the books and what we know of Snape's personality so far, it would be out of character for him to be completely loyal to anyone, even the Epitome of Goodness himself (After all, since when has Snape been impressed by either truth or goodness?)

Yet the story arc seems to demand that Snape do something of value before the end. I'm trying to reconcile this, but haven't been able to do so yet. This surely has to be one of the surprises JKR has up her sleeve for us. At least I hope so, because things just don't add up yet ...

Edited by - n/a on 06/05/2007 18:05:58
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.