Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Second Floor............................Movie Bugs
 Directed Dreaming
 Lupin...does he still have the mustache?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  21:13:09  Show Profile Send Jokelly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone here knows of my dislike of the Lupin mustache. I haven't been keeping up with anyting about the movie so I don't know the answer, but does anyone know if David Thewlis grew back the horrid thing? Or are they keeping him clean shaven?

I still don't know why he grew that disgusting crumb-catcher to begin with. I'm not against mustaches in general. Some men look great with them, but Lupin doesn't.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  22:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo, I looked but I couldn't find any Lupin-images from OotP. I hate the mangy thing as much as you do.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  19:46:40  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll third the mustache-hate! I can't believe the director allowed him to get away with that look. Were they afraid that all the girls would prefer Lupin to Harry?

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  22:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Movie Lupin is not my picture of book Lupin. Ironically, David Thewlis in his natural state looks much more like my idea of Remus. Maybe the new director will realize this.

They really should consult us here before they make these types of decisions

Edited by - Jokelly on 11/06/2006 22:29:46
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  01:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In his natural state, eh? *waggles eyebrows* What Thewlis movies have you been watching, Jo?

Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  08:07:34  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly
They really should consult us here before they make these types of decisions

Yes, definitely. What are they thinking casting adult male characters without consulting rabid adult female fans?

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  11:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

In his natural state, eh? *waggles eyebrows* What Thewlis movies have you been watching, Jo?

Well....

Really though, AMC. You're mind is really in the gutter! As if I would watch movies like that. Especially with someone playing Remus.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  07:51:29  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

Naked, surely!

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  08:09:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I seem to remember an interesting picture of our David snogging our Leo (of the DiCaprio variety) the other day ...

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  17:18:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps Leo digs the 'stache? There must be some justification for his having it.

Go to Top of Page

U-No-Poo
Addled

133 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  09:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's rather fishy. I've watched all the OotP clips and haven't seen Lupin anywhere. A new set of clips were put up on mugglenet, including one focusing on the Order. They show the Advance Guard. No Lupin. They also show the original order of the phoenix posing for the photograph. I've looked at the image closely and can't figure out if one of them is Lupin.
See the clips here:
http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/full_story/509

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  20:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I watched ABC Family's sneak preview and they showed the Advance Guard and couldn't see Lupin, either.

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  21:30:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You shouldn't find Lupin in the old photo of the first Order because he wasn't in it in the book.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  21:58:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Lupin was in the picture in the book, he just wasn't standing near James and Lily. I always thought that was a bit sad, because it might have been an early indication of distrust toward him.

I'm watching ABC Family right now but I seem to be missing all the sneak previews. Leaky has them posted so I might have to download them there.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  22:07:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They were early in the day during CoS I know. Tonight they're playing sneak previews of Eragon, not OotP.

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  12:49:47  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I couldn't find Lupin either. But here's the list of the original Order of the Phoenix--US version, p. 173-4:

Moody
Dumbledore
Dedalus Diggle
Marlene McKinnon
Frank and Alice Longbottom
Emmeline Vance
"and that there's Lupin, obviously. . ."
Benjy Fenwick
(he tells the figures in the photo to shift aside)
Edgar Bones
Sturgis Podmore
Caradoc Dearborn
Hagrid
Elphias Doge
Gideon Prewitt, and his brother, Fabian
(tells them all to "budge along")
Dumbledore's brother, Aberforth
Dorcas Meadows
"Sirius, when he still had short hair. . ."
Lily and James, "beaming up at him, sitting on either side of a small, watery-eyed man Harry recognized at once as Wormtail"

So all the Marauders, plus Lily were part of the original Order. But it is odd that Lupin is standing apart from all of them, and the Wormtail is sitting between James and Lily.

EDIT: I just looked at the clips of the Order again and stopped it a few times. I looks like Sirius and Pettigrew are standing near someone who looks like James. But then a little farther on, they show a wider shot (from an angle, though). I think Lupin might be the one on the end, standing near a lady in a bright colored sweater. The focus isn't good, but he's tall enough to be Thewlis and, unfortunately, it looks like the moustache is still there.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Edited by - Eeyore on 12/07/2006 12:56:33
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  15:16:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right. I missed him in the book because he wasn't with the others - definitely an indication that he was already estranged from his old friends. Poor Remus.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 12/07/2006 22:47:22
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  16:18:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eeyore
I think Lupin might be the one on the end, standing near a lady in a bright colored sweater. The focus isn't good, but he's tall enough to be Thewlis and, unfortunately, it looks like the moustache is still there.

Damn.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  17:22:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know - we all love Lupin so much. Wouldn't it be funny if JKR made him a bad guy in the end? The ultimate traitor, the unknown wolf in Dumbledore's flock? I know, I'm evil.

Now that I think about it - ALL the DADA teachers other than Lupin have been bad guys in one way or another. Maybe... ?

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  22:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

You know - we all love Lupin so much. Wouldn't it be funny if JKR made him a bad guy in the end? The ultimate traitor, the unknown wolf in Dumbledore's flock? I know, I'm evil.

This same thought has occurred to me. The chance of it happening is probably nil, but it would be the ultimate twist ending.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  23:32:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I felt like a traitor because all through my first reading of PoA I thought Lupin was a bad guy. I had to read it a second time to really appreciate him. I, too, had thoughts of him ultimately being evil, but why go through the whole thing with Tonks? Why have his heart-to-heart with Molly during the boggart scene? I think if she ultimately had him a bad guy it would be lying to the readers, something she says she won't do. There is too much sincerity in his character to be misleading us. And it would just completely ruin her moral of not unfairly judging those ostracized by society. I think I would be very disappointed if JKR would choose to take this track.

AMC, I don't consider Lockhart evil, just stupid, selfish, and vain.

Edited by - Jokelly on 12/07/2006 23:34:53
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  00:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bad guys aren't always evil, they can just be bad. however - I think some of the greatest evil done in this world is sourced in stupidity, combined with selfishness and a lack of conscience. Wouldn't Lockhart qualify on all 3 counts? Can't you just see him winning an election and can you imagine the results? The only reason he didn't actually do enormous evil in HP is a lack of opportunity - he did minor amounts of evil; like stealing other people's work and modifying their memories so they couldn't remember parts their own lives.

It would take a HUGE shift in our understanding of Lupin to make him a bad guy. And I hope it doesn't happen because I have always loved him - I never thought he was bad. Anyone who hands out chocolate after accidents is a man after my own heart!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  11:59:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lupin is a good guy through and through. He's one of those characters like Lily Potter; the idea of either of them being evil is inconceivable. Lupin is our example of someone who is discriminated against because of a social (imagined) evil -- lycanthropy; our knowledge of his true goodness is what makes his story so poignant. A plot twist that makes him evil in the end would spoil the valuable statement JKR is making about discrimination against certain misunderstood conditions/disabilities.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  12:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On a similar note, I've always thought that James and Sirius doubted Remus because of his condition. They may have thought that Remus would be easy to manipulate with promises of some sort of cure.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  13:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may be right Siobhan, but I always felt that it was Remus' personality actually. If you look at the four of them in Snape's Worst Memory Remus has more emotional restraint than the others. James and Sirius are a bit wild and carried away with themselves, despite feigning otherwise, and Peter is sucking up to them so much, that although Remus is indulging them in his own way by not saying something about their behaviour by comparison he must seem more detached. I don't see it that way for a moment, he is so loyal to them and thinks the world of them, but he isn't expressing it in the over-exuberant manner of the others. Maybe under pressure, his composure was mistaken for coldness or distance.

Nuggy xxx
Go to Top of Page

Treefrog
Addled

Australia
88 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  07:39:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I thought I glimpsed a scene with Lupin in the new trailer... it took me a while to track down the right still, (which I'm super glad to see this scene is left in the film, I know I'll cry my eyes out.)

Bad news for the 'tache-haters: It's baaaack!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  09:35:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no, not the 'tache! I'm delighted to hear from you Treefrog, but did you have to stomp on my dreams like that?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  10:30:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So it's old caterpillar lip again, eh? Why is it when mustaches are so light in colour they look so bad? What's a real shame is that Thewlis looks good bare-lipped. There are some men who do look better with a mustache (remember Tom Selek and Howard Hessman), but not Thewlis.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  11:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly, Siobhan. Men like Tom Selek look fantastic in a mustache, but not Thewlis! Lupin just doesn't have a mustache. If I were Movie!Tonks I'd be carrying around a razor to shave that thing off at the first sign of him nodding off to sleep.

Hmmm...Daniel Radcliffe is becoming quite handsome as he gets older.

Edited by - Jokelly on 04/24/2007 11:19:20
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  12:46:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, now I will always visualize Tonks with a razor in her back pocket, waiting...

Oh man - why, why, why?

Go to Top of Page

Emmmma
Barmy

293 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  23:06:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yikes i thought the moustache would be gone.
i hadn't visited this thread so i'd missed the discussion on evil[exclamation mark]lupin... i love the idea

maybe that's why he has the mustache- so we won't fall too much for him. it's a hint, gals

Formerly Garside! ;-)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.