New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

U-No-Poo
Addled

133 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  14:17:34  Show Profile Send U-No-Poo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gosh, just take a look at the new Wizard of the Month :
quote:
Hambledon Quince
1936 - present
Author of controversial theory that wizards originate from Mars, Muggles from mushrooms.

Order of the Bookmark

Wizard from Milan
Barmy

236 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  19:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LoL!
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat1202
Giddy

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  02:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone started a thread here of hints about possibly-important-in-Book-7 stuff and discussions about JKR's site? Wasn't there one on the old boards? I'm certainly not well schooled about her site and I sure would like some help. I can't get online as often as I'd like to and I'm afraid I'm missing so much because I can't count on being able to visit there daily, or even weekly sometimes.

-- I just took a look at the new Wizard of the Month and I wonder if he could be related to Luna Lovegood?

Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something else is more important.

Edited by - Blackcat1202 on 09/02/2006 02:38:59
Go to Top of Page

U-No-Poo
Addled

133 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  08:20:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I bet this theory was covered on the Quibbler.
We used to have a JKR.com thread on the old boards, but we hadn't started one yet on this one. I just needed to to tell someone about the new Wizard of the Month and I didn't know where, so I created this thread to discuss JKR.com stuff. There's been nothing interesting for a while. Still waiting for Wombats number 2.
Although I believe book 7 will be released next year, does a summer release look possible at this point?. For HBP, we were told the title in May or June of the previous year. It's now September and we still don't know. However, if Jo apparently re-named book 7 in August, it's hardly surprising...

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - U-No-Poo on 09/02/2006 08:33:37
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  09:44:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought we were told about HBP around Christmas?
Go to Top of Page

Wizard from Milan
Barmy

236 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  14:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by U-No-Poo
Although I believe book 7 will be released next year, does a summer release look possible at this point?.

Yes, IIRC, we were told that she sent the book to the printer in January

quote:
Originally posted by U-No-Poo
For HBP, we were told the title in May or June of the previous year. It's now September and we still don't know.

My recollection is different from yours: IIRC, we were told the titles only a few months in advance
Go to Top of Page

U-No-Poo
Addled

133 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  10:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GoF was the only time the title was kept secret almost up to the release. For HBP, the title was revealed June 28th, the release date was revealed on December 28th and the book came out on July 16th.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  12:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure how significant the announcement of the title is. That really could come any time JKR is sure that she's settled on it. The key thing to look for is the book to go to the publisher. It takes six months from that time for the book to be released, so we should have at least that much notice.

We can still have a 7/7/07 release as long as JKR finishes the book by the end of the year - which admittedly is approaching rapidly. I've no idea how far along she is, but there's every chance we'll get another special Christmas present this year. If we don't though, I won't be disappointed. I'd rather have an excellent book, six months or a year later than anticipated, than a mediocre effort that suffered from being rushed to meet a false deadline.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  13:28:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GoF was a bit of a PR disaster. It was originally going to be called "Harry Potter and the Doomspell Tournament", but she had to change it, and the name of the contest, when it was leaked onto the internet.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Wizard from Milan
Barmy

236 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  17:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diricawl

GoF was a bit of a PR disaster. It was originally going to be called "Harry Potter and the Doomspell Tournament", but she had to change it, and the name of the contest, when it was leaked onto the internet.

Really??? I had never heard that!
Are you saying that the orginal name of the Triwizard tournament was the Doomspell tournament?
I wonder what the Doomspell was supposed to be. Maybe the spell that bound the champions to compete to the end or die?

Edited by - Wizard from Milan on 09/03/2006 17:04:42
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  04:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the new wizard of the month...shows even the magical community has its wackos.

I can't believe it's been so long since they're was really any sort of an update. I guess we got spoiled for a while there with her little notepad being updated so often at first. *sigh*

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  11:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe less updates is a sign she's finishing the book.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  12:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone want to take a guess on how many pages the book will be? I predict it will be around 900 pages long.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  14:20:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope it's a very, very, very, very, very long read. (And no jokes from the Stephen Fry peanut gallery)

Go to Top of Page

Wizard from Milan
Barmy

236 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  18:20:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JKRisSuperior

Anyone want to take a guess on how many pages the book will be? I predict it will be around 900 pages long.

I predict that the US hardcover will be between 650 and 750 pages long.
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  20:51:15  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

I hope it's a very, very, very, very, very long read. (And no jokes from the Stephen Fry peanut gallery)

Peanuts? I hope you mean huge conkers!
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  15:05:15  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Theowyn posted:
quote:
We can still have a 7/7/07 release as long as JKR finishes the book by the end of the year - which admittedly is approaching rapidly. I've no idea how far along she is, but there's every chance we'll get another special Christmas present this year. If we don't though, I won't be disappointed. I'd rather have an excellent book, six months or a year later than anticipated, than a mediocre effort that suffered from being rushed to meet a false deadline.

I don't think they'd ever use that as a release date since it's the anniversary of the London bombing, just like they'd never use 9/11 for a release date. Plus, with the movie coming out on July 13, the marketing would be insane--they wouldn't want the two things so close together; better to spread it out a bit and keep HP in the limelight longer.

The date that Steve Vander Ark keeps talking about, and it makes a lot of sense, is Sept. 1. It coincides with the first day of term in every book, so that would be a fun release date for the last one. And it is on a Saturday next year, so the whole midnight release on a Friday night would work. Not sure how that would work with it being Labor Day weekend in the US as well as how that would affect all the kids who have either started back to school or would be the next week, but....

Did you see the latest rumor on JKR's site? TLC had a report on an article from some place that when she attended something or other for the release of "Driving Lessons" with Rupert Grint, that she said she'd written 750 pages and was half-way through. However, today it's posted on her site that she hasn't written 750 pages and is not half-way through anyway, and that she'd be worried if it was already that long.

So, it doesn't sound promising for an early release date, really. But I do wish she'd settle on a title; it would give us something else to speculate about while we wait.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  16:01:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the good info, Eeyore. Hmm... she started writing in earnest in January which means it's been nine months and she isn't even half-way through. This actually sounds perfect to me. Assuming that HP7 winds up being around 800 pages, it makes sense that it should take 18 to 24 months to write.

That means we’ll most likely see a finished manuscript sometime in the second half of next year. That would mean a Christmas release at the earliest which would be ideal following a summer OotP movie. I wouldn't mind seeing it slip to spring or even summer of '08, though. However, HBP-the-movie will likely be out at the holidays in '08, so HP7 shouldn't come much later than that summer.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  19:17:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What JKR actually said is:

"I haven't written 750 pages of book seven, and if I had, I'd be very worried, as I'm not close to finishing it yet."

Which could mean anything, really, as far as release dates go. We'll just have to wait and see. Thanks to JKR for clearing up the false rumor, though! :)
Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  02:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nooo come on, I so have my mind set on 7/7/07!

Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  04:40:05  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by she-dog

Nooo come on, I so have my mind set on 7/7/07!

If so, I so hope that the title has a seven in it. Harry Potter and the Seventh Horcrux perhaps.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  11:47:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
7-7-7 is usually the combination when you hit the jackpot on the slots. Which is what we'll feel like when we have the final book in our hands at last.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  12:35:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, if it can't be 07-07-07, perhaps it can be September 7, 2007. September was, after all, the seventh month before Augustus Caesar went and changed the calendar.
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  06:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woo hoo! JKR has updated her Diary, News, and Miscellaneous sections.

quote:
The heightened security restrictions on the airlines in August made the journey back from New York interesting, as I refused to be parted from the manuscript of book seven (a large part of it is handwritten, and there was no copy of anything I had done while in the US). They let me take it on, thankfully, bound up in elastic bands. I don't know what I would have done if they hadn't; sailed home, probably.

JOANNE KATHLEEN ROWLING! If you're not going to type out your precious manuscript, then at least photocopy it, and for heavens sake don't go swanning around the world with your only copy tucked under your arm! *freaks out*

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Wizard from Milan
Barmy

236 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  07:15:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee

Woo hoo! JKR has updated her Diary, News, and Miscellaneous sections.

quote:
The heightened security restrictions on the airlines in August made the journey back from New York interesting, as I refused to be parted from the manuscript of book seven (a large part of it is handwritten, and there was no copy of anything I had done while in the US). They let me take it on, thankfully, bound up in elastic bands. I don't know what I would have done if they hadn't; sailed home, probably.

JOANNE KATHLEEN ROWLING! If you're not going to type out your precious manuscript, then at least photocopy it, and for heavens sake don't go swanning around the world with your only copy tucked under your arm! *freaks out*

I'd say "don't travel at all in these dangerous times! Lock yourself up in a bunker until you are done"

Edited by - Wizard from Milan on 09/14/2006 07:15:49
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  11:32:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Omgosh, we're all now imagining some evil person out there trying to separate JKR from her manuscript. Can you imagine being the person sitting next to her on the plane? I would have been constantly looking over her shoulder and being a nag.

"Excuse me, I need to get into my bag in the overhead."
*roots around and grabs a bag and goes through it*
"Oops, I seemed to grab your bag by mistake, Ms. Rowlings."
*returns bag and has a big smile on face*

I'd never snoop. That's a lie. I can't even make it through the end of the book without peaking at the end. But I swear I'm absolutely NOT going to peak this time. Just one page at a time.

Edited by - Jokelly on 09/14/2006 11:34:22
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  12:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

I'd never snoop. That's a lie. I can't even make it through the end of the book without peaking at the end. But I swear I'm absolutely NOT going to peak this time. Just one page at a time.

I used to be the same as you, Jo. I could never resist peeking at the end. But I somehow managed it for HBP and it was wonderful! So don't peek next time! You can do it!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  15:55:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee

Can you imagine the headline...

Harry Potter Author Loses Manuscript!
- - - Publishers Fear Leaks - - -
- $100,000 Reward for It's Return -

Honestly though, I don't know how she manages to write anything in long hand. Think about what it takes to make any revisions!! That's just masochistic!!

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 09/14/2006 15:55:54
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  16:18:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've discovered that I can't write in longhand anymore without pain.

As to this, if she had lost her manuscript, we would have found it on the net within hours, I guarantee it.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  12:26:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't write in longhand either. My handwritting is soooooo messy that I am never able to decipher whatever I wrote some days ago.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  07:54:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diricawl
As to this, if she had lost her manuscript, we would have found it on the net within hours, I guarantee it.

Well, that would depend on the person. Would a true HP fan really do that? I wouldn't, but I'm not saying that I wouldn't read it. Really, who couldn't resist even peaking at it if they had it in their hands.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.