Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 First Floor.......................Canon Obsessions
 Philosopher to Hallows
 Harry James Potter: Average or Exceptional?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  13:20:12  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wizard from Milan

I think that in general Harry's magical abilities were average. His talents were uneven, better at some things than others. He was lucky (i.e. JKR wrote him) in that some of his strengths fit his needs (e.g. he was good at patronus charms).

He was exceptional in many other ways: he was exceptionally nosy, had a very high tolerance for risk, very determined...

Some people would say he was exceptionally good -- I am still thinking about that.

While I don't think Rowling wrote Harry as a super!wizard, I'm not sure I would call his abilities "average". He did produce a patronus that few wizards could and he threw off Voldemort's Imperius. I think I like your description of his abilities being "uneven" more than average. He certainly didn't seem to be a "natural" the way Hermione was in things like charms and transfiguration. He had trouble with occlumency and word-less casting. Once learned, though, his spells seem to be strong.

I also got a chuckle out of you pointing out Harry's extreme nosiness. I often find people pointing out his determination and recklessness, but nosiness is also true. Although, even that seems uneven because of all the things you would think he would be nosy about that he wasn't--his family especially. I wonder if that is a casualty of Rowling's desire to fool us about his family and if the other areas of unevenness were planned or also kind of happened.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.