Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  10:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Detentions don't necessarilly have to be served with the teacher who gives them, though. There are a couple of cases (at least) in canon where students are assigned to serve a detention doing a nasty job with another adult (1. in PS where the kids serve their detention with Hagrid and go into the forest 2. when Ron is assigned by Snape to clean bedpans without magic in the hospital wing 3. Ron had to shine trophies in CoS ). I still doubt Knight.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  16:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Draco doesn't know that Knight is involved in any secret forays from the castle, so he doesn't have any sophistocated plans going on here. Actually, he'd probably be thrilled if he knew someone was trying to thwart the DE murderer. He's certainly no fan of the person. This is really the main reason that he acts out in Knight's class. He's displacing his anger at Snape on the next most likely person - an Auror who is also in the business of giving the DEs grief.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 11/30/2006 16:09:47
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  23:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chapter 16 is now up. :)

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  01:39:39  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Argh!Somebody please smack that boy. Harry, that is. What is he thinking--not telling anyone about Bellatrix tracking him? Never mind how she did it, Harry really needs to fess up, tell Dumbledore, and take his punishment for his disobedience.

I like it that someone is finally getting some use of those pesky mirrors, btw.

Great chapter, Theo. I'll come back for some more comments after I've had a chance to reread it.

Oh, I couldn't help thinking of Lucy going into the wardrobe in Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and not completely shutting the door, because everyone knows that you shouldn't. That's what I was thinking as soon as they saw the wardrobe, and I was happy to see that they didn't shut it all the way.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  22:43:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ditto to everything Eeyore said.

I've been thinking about how HPCS now feels more like HPEW. It may be because we've started to get into the story more. The early stages are always a matter of getting back into the rhythm of a story and laying the ground work, but now that we are fully involved it feels more like it did when we were fully involved with HPEW.

Then again we had a lot of controversy at the beginning of HPCS *coughbrokenbottlecough* so I never really felt like there was a change or difference in continuity. It just felt like some of the early comments on HPEW.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  23:55:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments, guys! Glad you enjoyed the chapter.

I wonder if the reason that the early part of HPCS felt different from HPEW is because so much time was spent at 12GP? That is definitely a different environment. Now that we're back at Hogwarts things may just feel more "normal".

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  02:22:28  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I've been thinking about that. But I don't think that was it. I liked the time at Grimmauld Place, actually--more contact with Snape and Remus was there as well.

No, I think, for me, it has to do with frequency of getting the chapters. With HPEW, I didn't start until the first four chapters were out, so I had four straight through to read.

And I usually re-read the chapters before the next one came out. But with HPCS, it's been more spread out--and I understand your need to do that, so I'm not complaining. But I didn't have the time over the summer and early fall to reread anything, so it was one chapter at a time and then a big space between. So it literally was disconnected for me.

Lately, I have had the time to reread the chapters, and it's all fitting together nicely. I think part of the difference too, is that this one has a very psychological focus throughout, where HPEW didn't have as much of it until the middle. Well, it did, but it was different. HPEW was more of Harry and sometimes Snape reflecting on their relationship with one another, while HPCS is Harry delving into his own mind to try to understand himself better. I like both, but they have a different feel to them. Does that make any sense to anyone else?

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  16:18:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it make perfect sense, Eeyore.

I've still to go back and reread HPEW and then move on to HPCS to see how it feels. Heck, I'm just now reading GoF again. My goal is to finish it before the 21st so I can bring OoP on the plane.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  23:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Eeyore, that does make sense. You're right about the difference in focus between HPEW and HPCS. Both Harry and Snape are in different places emotionally than they were in HPEW.

In HPEW, Harry was overwhelmed by the prophecy and terrified that he wasn't up to facing LV while Snape was genuinely worried about his mental health and trying to teach him enough of the mental arts to keep him sane. That they came to actually care about each other took both of them by surprise.

In HPCS, Harry has come to terms with his destiny to face LV. He believes that he can succeed and now just wants to get on with it. But other issues are intruding on his main goal. The DPS is certainly one; The matter of the DE murders is the most troubling; but the most frustrating is Snape. He has no idea of how to deal with the emotional blockade the man has thrown up between them. Of course, Snape is even less capable of dealing with Harry - or more specifically his feelings for Harry. At the moment he is in complete denial/avoidance mode, but needless to say, at some point that tactic is going to fail.

Actually, re-reading HPEW wouldn't be a bad idea as there is one specific bit in there that is a direct hint about something in HPCS.

*Wanders off humming.*

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 12/02/2006 23:41:06
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  15:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooooo - I've said it before, or perhaps just thought it, but Theo, you are evil!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  10:56:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

Oooooo - I've said it before, or perhaps just thought it, but Theo, you are evil!

I do my best!

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  11:13:52  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been a very bad girl and not commented on Chapter 15 and now I am procrastinating on reading Chapter 16, and I just finally figured out why. Harry and Snape went through so much to come to an understanding in HPEW--and now that has been blown out of the water! And it is painful to me at this point. I know--I'm really silly about this. I mean, they are fictional characters. But I get so invested in both Harry and Snape finding some happiness, that the beginning of HPCS where the relationship falls apart is really tough. I know things will get better, so I will soldier on, but it's a little rough for me right now.

I'm off to print off Chapter 16 and read it.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  17:05:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sunsethill

I have been a very bad girl and not commented on Chapter 15 and now I am procrastinating on reading Chapter 16, and I just finally figured out why. Harry and Snape went through so much to come to an understanding in HPEW--and now that has been blown out of the water! And it is painful to me at this point. I know--I'm really silly about this. I mean, they are fictional characters. But I get so invested in both Harry and Snape finding some happiness, that the beginning of HPCS where the relationship falls apart is really tough. I know things will get better, so I will soldier on, but it's a little rough for me right now.

I'm off to print off Chapter 16 and read it.

I'm so sorry! I honestly didn't set out to depress you. Really though, I don't think it would be terribly realistic if after the bombshell at the end of HPEW, these two didn't hit a few snags in their relationship. Harry is ready to put the past behind him, but Snape just isn't. He's terrified of emotional intimacy to begin with and there is so much baggage he's carrying in relation to his feelings for Harry that he just can't let himself have a normal relationship with the young man.

HPCS is in many ways the flip side of HPEW. Harry and Snape have essentially swapped roles. In HPEW, Harry was the one who was emotionally fragile and teetering on the edge of a nervous breakdown. In HPCS, it's Snape who is on the verge of an emotional collapse. He is as much of a wreck as Harry was in HPEW and DD is quite right to be concerned about him. Given Harry's pov and the difference in their personalities, this isn't readily obvious at the moment, but it should become increasingly so as the story progresses.

In HPEW, Harry did the majority of the maturing in the relationship. Snape - although his feelings towards Harry changed - steadfastly ignored that fact - ascribing his softened attitude towards Harry to 'professional' concern. That was a lie, but it worked for him and using this excuse, he could have maintained a very cordial relationship with Harry indefinitely - if it hadn't been for that confession he had to make.

It's impossible to overstate how traumatic that was for Snape. It ripped a gaping hole in his emotional barricades that has yet to heal. Consequently, Snape is desperate to maintain his distance from Harry - sensing more than understanding that Harry can shred what's left of his emotional control. And of course, Harry hasn't a clue which makes the likelihood of him accidentally doing or saying the wrong thing a near certainty.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 12/04/2006 22:47:08
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  11:55:15  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theowyn
I'm so sorry! I honestly didn't set out to depress you. Really though, I don't think it would be terribly realistic if after the bombshell at the end of HPEW, these two didn't hit a few snags in their relationship. Harry is ready to put the past behind him, but Snape just isn't. He's terrified of emotional intimacy to begin with and there is so much baggage he's carrying in relation to his feelings for Harry that he just can't let himself have a normal relationship with the young man.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. And I know the emotional development will be as well done as in HPEW, but it's still painful to me. I don't like stories where the emotional development is "too easy" but the growth process isn't "fun." And, as many of us have said numerous times, I just want to smack Harry. I often want to smack him in canon, too.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  12:03:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's funny how many of the characters I'd love to smack. I find the list grows with every book.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Krabat
Giddy

Germany
40 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  13:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again,

at last I managed to catch up reading and I am still very excited about the story. My favorite parts are those developing the relationship between Harry and Snape. Theowyn, you really succeed in making the scenario believable. Every time I think "Why does Harry bother with Snape?" you come up with a scene that rids me from that question. I particulary liked the scene in which they brew the Clarifying Solution. Does anybody else think that Snape's description of the properties of that potion sound awfully like DD description of reaching in the deepest parts of one's own mind? Perhaps Harry will try to use it to further his training, and will probably be very surprised by what he learns.

I am a bit dissapointed that Harry still jumps to conclusions concerning Snape so fast, although I have no trouble with believing he does so. However, he witnessed the private conversation between DD and Snape in Grimauld Place, where Snape at least partially drops his guard. It becomes clear he is frustrated with everybody mistrusting him. Harry seems to be affected by this coversation, but does not change his way of thinking.

One more question/observation. I went back and reread the description of the Sniffer charm. Why doesn't Moody use it to check whether or not the hairs from the crime scene belong to Snape?
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  14:41:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Krabat, Good to have you with us!

I'm glad you enjoyed the scene with the Clarifying Solution. That is one of my favorite moments between Harry and Snape as well.

Good point about Harry jumping to conclusions about Snape. Actually, Harry jumps to conclusions about a lot of things. So does Snape for that matter.
quote:
Originally posted by Krabat
One more question/observation. I went back and reread the description of the Sniffer charm. Why doesn't Moody use it to check whether or not the hairs from the crime scene belong to Snape?

He tried. Here's the relevant bit from chapter 7:

Harry scowled. “If you’ve got blood or something why don’t you just use Fred and George’s Sniffer Charm?”

Moody shook his head. “That’s a clever spell, but it’s simplistic. It certainly wouldn’t be able to penetrate all of the wards on this place.” Moody waved his hand to indicate the house around them. “And it can be blocked like any other tracking charm once the target’s onto it. I actually tried the spell when I was here last week, but it was no good, so Snape’s obviously taken precautions against it.”

“Or maybe you’ve just got the wrong man.”

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 12/05/2006 14:46:52
Go to Top of Page

Krabat
Giddy

Germany
40 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  03:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the excerpt from chapter 7, Theowyn, that just slipped my mind. But it leads to another interesting observation. The Sniffer charm works for Harry when he is following Snape to London. So Snape is not protected against it. I cannot imagine that Moody did not try the charm on Snape outside from GP, he is one to do things thoroughly. So, that points at Snape not being our mistery murderer.

I haven't made my mind up yet as to who is my prime suspect. I could see Snape in the role of an assassin, more so as we have seen at Lucius' pov that the strategy is highly effective. I believe it would weigh heavily on his conscience, but he would do it, if it was sanctioned by DD.

I also noticed that we haven't seen any interaction between Snape and Knight. That should be interesting as well.
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  12:02:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this very thoughtful post, Krabat.
quote:
Originally posted by Krabat

Thanks for the excerpt from chapter 7, Theowyn, that just slipped my mind. But it leads to another interesting observation. The Sniffer charm works for Harry when he is following Snape to London. So Snape is not protected against it. I cannot imagine that Moody did not try the charm on Snape outside from GP, he is one to do things thoroughly. So, that points at Snape not being our mistery murderer.

The wizarding world seems to have all sorts of anti-tracking type spells - from Confundus Charms to wards that make a building unplottable to the Fidelus Charm. The most effective of these must also be the most difficult to cast and not everyone can manage the tightest security. Witness Slughorn's attempts to hide from pursuit in HBP. They were hardly fool-proof and required a great deal of effort. So I don't think you can cast an anti-tracking charm once and forget about it. It probably only lasts a few hours and then has to be renewed, so it wouldn't be practical to maintain constantly. More likely, it is something that is used when a threat is imminent - and Snape didn't anticipate such a threat the night Harry followed him to London.

Which begs your second question about Moody and the Sniffer Charm.

The Sniffer Charm was designed as a means to follow a known suspect who had shielded himself with some other common anti-tracking charm - track something on the person if you can't track the person himself. However, it doesn't make the best investigative tool because unless you know whom you're following, your wand isn't going to tell you until you're close enough for it to actually point at the person. Getting that close to Snape hasn't been easy for Moody.

Snape has spent virtually all of his time at either 12GP or Hogwarts both of which have a plethora of wards protecting them that no simple tracking charm is going to penetrate. On those occasions when he does leave these sanctuaries, Snape slips away so that no one will know he's gone.

It should be noted that Snape isn't taking these precautions specifically to avoid Moody. It is Voldemort and the DEs whom Snape is hiding from. But Snape's behavior does effectively confound Moody as well. The only time the old Auror has the opportunity to attempt the Sniffer Charm over summer is when he is at 12GP. When this fails he believes that Snape has protected himself against the charm and will continue to do so whenever they are together. Because of this Moody doesn't attempt the charm again.

Of course, Moody could be wrong.

quote:
I haven't made my mind up yet as to who is my prime suspect. I could see Snape in the role of an assassin, more so as we have seen at Lucius' pov that the strategy is highly effective. I believe it would weigh heavily on his conscience, but he would do it, if it was sanctioned by DD.

I also noticed that we haven't seen any interaction between Snape and Knight. That should be interesting as well.

Knight and Snape have given each other a wide berth so far. Knight isn't one to pick a fight and Snape has far too much on his mind to bother needling the new DADA teacher. But given the events in London it is a sure bet that they will eventually come into conflict.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 12/06/2006 12:05:37
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  14:46:04  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have now finally made myself go read Chapter 16. I'm still sad that Harry isn't sharing any of this with Snape, but I will live until we get to the resolution.

The mental duel was well done, and I think you did a good job of avoiding the inevitable Matrix comparisons. I mean, you have to go there, into a similar world and concept, but it didn't just scream "Neo is the one!" to me. Dumbledore's discussion of why Harry didn't think to use several techniques was helpful.

The search of the abandoned house was nice and tense and moved Harry along in the process of trying to figure out how he was being tracked. And Bella was a "nice" touch, here, bringing up the damage she had done to him near the end of HPEW as well as Book 5.

Now I'm waiting for Snape to find out from his spying that Bella almost had Harry and come kill him!

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  02:22:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now I'm waiting for Snape to find out from his spying that Bella almost had Harry and come kill him!

Great minds do think alike! But Bella is a Slytherin and a crafty one. It won't be quite that straighforward. But then what in this story is?

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  12:32:04  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Great minds do think alike! But Bella is a Slytherin and a crafty one. It won't be quite that straighforward. But then what in this story is?

Ah, shoot! Harry really needs Snape to read him the riot act. And Snape needs to realize that Harry NEEDS him.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  22:59:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys!

You've probably forgotten amidst all the excitement regarding DH, but it's time again for a new chapter of HPCS. I've just sent out 17 and I hope you enjoy it.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  04:05:26  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I was a bit side-tracked before I settled down to read the chapter. What an intriguing chapter, Theo. So many things to think about.

Naturally, my favorite part had to do with Snape and his realization about how he feels--seems he is falling victim to the very advice he first gave Harry about Occlumency, and wearing his heart on his sleeve. He may not be putting it out there for all to see, but it's still there, none the less.

I was struck by the cruelty of Harry's remarks, though. That was just .....mean. Sometimes I don't like Harry much--in Thanon or in canon.

Nice incorporation of some of the information about dementors from HBP into the story, but with your own twist. However, why weren't Ron and Harry affected sooner by the dementors--or is this new breed only particularly nasty to those who are not pure bloods. And why wouldn't they have affected Voldemort, as he is not a pure blood, either? Just wondering.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  13:00:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eeyore

I was a bit side-tracked before I settled down to read the chapter. What an intriguing chapter, Theo. So many things to think about.

Naturally, my favorite part had to do with Snape and his realization about how he feels--seems he is falling victim to the very advice he first gave Harry about Occlumency, and wearing his heart on his sleeve. He may not be putting it out there for all to see, but it's still there, none the less.

I was struck by the cruelty of Harry's remarks, though. That was just .....mean. Sometimes I don't like Harry much--in Thanon or in canon.

Nice incorporation of some of the information about dementors from HBP into the story, but with your own twist. However, why weren't Ron and Harry affected sooner by the dementors--or is this new breed only particularly nasty to those who are not pure bloods. And why wouldn't they have affected Voldemort, as he is not a pure blood, either? Just wondering.

This new breed of Dementor is more particular in how it affects wizards. As Lawrence explained, they were bred to attack muggle-borns and muggle-borns attract them. That's why Lawrence was hysterically insistent that "no mudbloods are allowed". These Dementors normally stay away from pure-bloods and half-bloods, but Hermione brings them flocking to the cottage where they actively prey upon her. The others are affected by the Dementors as well, but Harry is affected more than Ron because the Dementors make a serious effort to avoid pure-bloods, whereas they'll attack half-bloods if they get in the way.

As to Harry's remark to Snape... yes, it was awfully cruel, but Harry doesn't realize that. He's 17; he has a ton of worries; and he just doesn't get what Snape is going through. Although he knows that Snape still feels guilty for James and Lily's deaths, he doesn't understand what that means for the man. Harry knows what it's like to accidentally get someone killed. He still feels a measure of guilt for Sirius's death and he figures that Snape is stubbonly hanging on to a similar sort of guilt as a masochistic mea culpa. He doesn't realize that there is more to Snape's guilt than he knows and he doesn't appreciate the depth of Snape's pain. Consequently, he has no qualms in using that guilt to his own advantage. He knows that he's hurting Snape at that moment, but Snape has hurt him 1000 times in the past. He shrugged off all of those humiliations and thinks Snape will shrug this off too.

But it's not that simple for Snape. He's close to the breaking point and is desperately trying to hold it together the only way he knows how, through rigid emotional control. He's used to shoving painful feelings into a box and slamming the lid shut. Unfortunately, these feelings are increasingly refusing to stay locked up and Harry's barb is like a rallying cry to them. Snape has to expend tremendous effort to beat all those feelings back down again and he's finally had to admit to himself that he's not going to be able to keep doing this forever - not if Harry keeps provoking him.

Harry alone has the ability to cut through all of Snape's emotional defenses. That scares Snape because he feels out of control and doesn't know how to face his emotions, particularly his feelings for Harry. What's sad is that while he can accept that he cares about Harry, he can't accept that he wants Harry to care about him. He can't believe that he deserves it and Harry reinforces that belief with his verbal slap in the face to Snape.

What's frustrating, of course, is that if Snape would just be honest with Harry, Harry would be completely empathetic. But Snape doesn't trust Harry. Just as Harry had to learn to trust Snape emotionally in HPEW, Snape now has to learn to trust in return - a tall order indeed and one made harder by Harry's callous remark.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 12/22/2006 13:01:21
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  18:24:29  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Harry alone has the ability to cut through all of Snape's emotional defenses. That scares Snape because he feels out of control and doesn't know how to face his emotions, particularly his feelings for Harry. What's sad is that while he can accept that he cares about Harry, he can't accept that he wants Harry to care about him. He can't believe that he deserves it and Harry reinforces that belief with his verbal slap in the face to Snape.

What's frustrating, of course, is that if Snape would just be honest with Harry, Harry would be completely empathetic. But Snape doesn't trust Harry. Just as Harry had to learn to trust Snape emotionally in HPEW, Snape now has to learn to trust in return - a tall order indeed and one made harder by Harry's callous remark.

Yes, I too really enjoyed getting into Snape's head again in this chapter. I can tell that he just needs to talk to Harry, but if he could do that easily, he wouldn't be Snape.

And I am also having more trouble not wanting to just smack Harry in this story. In HPEW, he was so emotionally devastated that it was easier to put up with his "Harryisms." Reading this chapter made me realize that even as excited as I am about HPDH, I dread wanting to smack Harry throughout the last book.

This chapter was also incredibly chilling--physically and emotionally--with the new dementors. I remember our discussion earlier about the fact that the dementors are actually the most evil of Rowling's creations, but having them show up here as the source of Voldemort's immortality opens up lots of creepy possibilities.

So how much longer are we going to have to endure Harry and Severus being on the outs? Especially after seeing Severus' despair in this chapter, it is really hard!

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  02:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yes, I too really enjoyed getting into Snape's head again in this chapter. I can tell that he just needs to talk to Harry, but if he could do that easily, he wouldn't be Snape.

And I am also having more trouble not wanting to just smack Harry in this story. In HPEW, he was so emotionally devastated that it was easier to put up with his "Harryisms." Reading this chapter made me realize that even as excited as I am about HPDH, I dread wanting to smack Harry throughout the last book.

This chapter was also incredibly chilling--physically and emotionally--with the new dementors. I remember our discussion earlier about the fact that the dementors are actually the most evil of Rowling's creations, but having them show up here as the source of Voldemort's immortality opens up lots of creepy possibilities.

So how much longer are we going to have to endure Harry and Severus being on the outs? Especially after seeing Severus' despair in this chapter, it is really hard!

Now, dear, we're only a little more than half-way through the story so you know I can't resolve the relationship yet. All of the plot threads are still hanging and there's another whole Harry/Snape plotline that I haven't even started yet. (When I do, I think you'll love it, though.) As usual, all I can say is be patient with me. [:I]

Btw, I'd like to slap Harry, too.

I'm glad you found the chapter chilling; it was supposed to be - particularly poor Albert's fate. (Did you all guess that Riddle intentionally let the Dementor Kiss him?) TR is an absolute psychopath and it's quite fun to see just how horrible I can make him.

The Dementors are deliciously evil and, with their ability to suck out souls, they make a wonderful device for Voldemort to use. While I won't be giving you Horcruxes, I promise to deliver something equally horrible.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 12/23/2006 02:04:22
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  16:36:05  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Now, dear, we're only a little more than half-way through the story so you know I can't resolve the relationship yet. All of the plot threads are still hanging and there's another whole Harry/Snape plotline that I haven't even started yet. (When I do, I think you'll love it, though.) As usual, all I can say is be patient with me. [:I]

I'm glad you found the chapter chilling; it was supposed to be - particularly poor Albert's fate. (Did you all guess that Riddle intentionally let the Dementor Kiss him?) TR is an absolute psychopath and it's quite fun to see just how horrible I can make him.

Oooh, a whole nother Harry/Snape plotline. That sounds NICE! And at least I know we are half-way to making it all better for Snape.

And I wondered about whether Albert's kiss was deliberate, but I thought "Nah, Tom will still need him for something!" I have trouble imagining pure evil--but that clearly describes TR.

Thanks for the new chapter so close to the holidays. It was a nice gift--even if I did want to slap Harry!

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  00:00:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I caught that Tom let the Dementor kiss Albert-- wouldn't surprise me a bit if he encouraged it to. Did Lawrence know, or guess, the truth?

I liked how casually he referred to Tom. I know they were friends in school before Tom became so powerful, but it is interesting to see another little slice of life before fame.

Lawrence was so very obliging to tell Harry so much without any questions of his own about what had been going on in the world or where his buddy Voldie is. But I suppose when one's been sitting around in a cottage surrounded by Dementors of the New Breed any company and chance to spill one's guts is welcome.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  02:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

I caught that Tom let the Dementor kiss Albert-- wouldn't surprise me a bit if he encouraged it to.
Your right. The Dementor didn't just happen to break through the wards that morning. Tom had it planned right along.

quote:
Did Lawrence know, or guess, the truth?
Poor Mordecai. He was a very loyal and rather naive young man in those days. Tom said it was an accident and he took his friend's word for it. But deep down, he knew the truth and that guilt has been eating at him for 50 years, helped along by the less than cheerful atmosphere radiated by the Dementors.

quote:
Lawrence was so very obliging to tell Harry so much without any questions of his own about what had been going on in the world or where his buddy Voldie is. But I suppose when one's been sitting around in a cottage surrounded by Dementors of the New Breed any company and chance to spill one's guts is welcome.
Lawrence is quite mad. He's had no company other than Dementors for over twenty years and the only coherent memories he has are of the old days. He lives in the past and has no concept of how much time has gone by, let alone enough grasp of reality to ask about LV or anything else. That cottage is his whole world; nothing exists beyond it and his memories. He's almost like a child. He's very simple and answers Harry's questions as a matter of course. He isn't capable of lying or wondering why Harry should be there asking about Tom.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 12/27/2006 14:40:38
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.