Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  23:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reworded the bit in chapter 10 as noted. Thanks!

Chapter 11 is now out. Enjoy!

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  11:43:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The list of suspects grows. Yet another accomplished wizard with black hair and reason to really hate Death Eaters.

"and we'll see what you can do with your wand." *snort* My mind is ever in the gutter.

Ooooh, what promise! I will anxiously anticipate the next chapters regarding Harry's lessons with Dumbledore. Imagine Alice in Wonderland being helpful rather than just confusing. Harry had better have his thinking cap on when he reads it.

Voldemort won't have a garden, I'll wager. I can see him as having a combination of an Escher staircase-type maze and Luke Skywalker's cave (the one where he faces his fears). Yes, I know, highly derivative, but I'm sure Theo will come up with something much different.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  13:29:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

The list of suspects grows. Yet another accomplished wizard with black hair and reason to really hate Death Eaters.
Where would a mystery be without a list of suspects.

quote:
"and we'll see what you can do with your wand." *snort* My mind is ever in the gutter.
Yes, I got a snort from Myf on that one too. All I can say is that you guys are going to love one of my future chapters.

quote:
Ooooh, what promise! I will anxiously anticipate the next chapters regarding Harry's lessons with Dumbledore. Imagine Alice in Wonderland being helpful rather than just confusing. Harry had better have his thinking cap on when he reads it.

Hee hee. Poor Harry.

quote:
Voldemort won't have a garden, I'll wager.
That's a safe bet and I really like the Escher idea. Let's face it, when we're talking about symbolism and metaphor, they pretty much have to be derivative or no one would get it.

Harry: "Er... what's that pink flagpole supposed to mean?"
DD [shrugging]: "Beats me."

I think we can all agree that LV's mind is going to be pretty dark. Hopefully, my take on it will work.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 09/01/2006 13:31:23
Go to Top of Page

U-No-Poo
Addled

133 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  13:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was lovely, Theo. McGonagall's excitement over Quidditch made me smile. And it's good to see I'm not the only one who doesn't trust the new DADA teacher much. The only way she can be so charming and smiley after what she's just gone through is having something up her sleeve. But the highlight was the introduction to the depths of Dumbledore's mind. That was so unexpected. I like the mystery of the ocean. It brought back how Dumbledore never revealed what he had truly seen in the Mirror of Erised. I like the idea of Dumbledore having some sort of personal, secret, impossible desire. Looks like in JKR's world that's a question that will never get answered. I hope that in yours it does.
I've been wondering about what Voldemort's mind would be like. In the movie The Cell we get to see weird world of a murderer's mind, where he imagined himself as Lord of a sick and fantastic realm. Voldemort's would be something like that. The stuff of nighmares. We did get a peek in HPEW of all the horrible things that cross Voldemort's mind, and yet he feels innocent. This is going to be exciting .
Please, Theo. Grant me the wish I had for HBP. Instead of having the gargoyle move aside when he sees Harry, have Dumbledore tell Harry the password in his letter, and let it be Skiving Snackboxes .
*starts reading Alice in Wonderland in time for next chapter*

ps.
quote:

The way I envision these mirrors, the original two were made as one piece and enchanted then cut into two. The enchantment makes it so that no matter how many pieces the mirror is broken into (2 or 5 in this case) each piece will always show exactly the same scene at any given moment.

Thanks for the info. And in the name of all us hasty readers, the sentence about Ginny Apparating is fine. Sorry about that.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - U-No-Poo on 09/01/2006 14:21:01
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  05:05:40  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great chapter, Theo. I wanted to tell you last night when I saw you on Yahoo messenger, but my internet kept disconnecting. Stupid thing--I finally just shut it off and watched TV.

I do need to re-read the last two chapters though; I think I've likely missed some things.

Alice in Wonderland, eh? So Harry's going to learn that it's not wise to go down rabbit trails?

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  18:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps, a la Henry Kuttner, Dumbledore knows there are clues hidden in Alice in Wonderland that teach young minds how to commune with the next dimension....
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  13:09:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I've been writing feverishly this last week and just sent chapter 15 off to Myf. You may expect chapter 12 on time, next week.

Glad you all enjoyed DD's mind and yes, the mystery of the ocean will be revealed in time. I will also do my best to work 'Skiving Snackboxes' as a password into the story at some point.

Regarding the forays into the mind, remember that what Harry is experiencing is not what the person believes himself to be, but rather the truth that lies behind all of the self-delusions. That is what makes this so powerful; the soul is laid bare. DD, wise and good as he is, has no trouble facing his own soul, not even the dark paths that run through his garden. But I dare say that LV might be less happy about being faced with the reality of his own soul.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  14:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hehe, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Great chapter, Theo! I love where you're going with Harry and LV's mental connection.

I never linked the new DADA teacher with the DE murders. D'oh! Silly me. It's always good to have more suspects.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  15:19:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Therefore it's possible that at the centre of the labyrinth that is Voldemort's dark, twisted soul lies a hurt and vulnerable child who doesn't understand why his mother left him behind-- why she chose to die for the memory of lover/man who abandoned her over her own child?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  16:14:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say that aspect of LV's psyche definitely exists, but how it might manifest is another question. We are all the product of 1000s of defining moments in our lives, but most of us manage to integrate all of those moments into a single personality.

For instance, Harry won't be encountering numerous different DD's in DD's mind. All of the aspects of DD's character, soul, experience, etc. are manifested symbolically, but there is only one DD who interacts with Harry. Likewise, there is only one LV and, though he is a psychopath, he isn't developmentally arrested. Harry won't have to deal with five year old Tom Riddle.

However, a variation on this concept is going to come up along the way. I can't say any more about it right now, but you'll all spot it when we get there.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  17:47:38  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Real Life reached out and bit me this week so I don't really have time to go into details on what I liked about this chapter except to say that it was absolutely incredible creatively. I am SO looking forward to seeing the outworkings of your conception of Dumbledore's mind and what this means for Harry and Snape. Your conception of the process of occlumency and legilimency in HPEW was one of my favorite parts of that story and I can see this extension of your mental constructs becoming just as fascinating.

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I got a snort from Myf on that one too. All I can say is that you guys are going to love one of my future chapters.

Oh, man, I missed this line. So now we have Snape undressing and snort-worthy double entendres and you're promising us MORE??
I really love the way you keep things subtle, though.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  18:25:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing that struck me as possibly being necessary is to set a base-line definition of "soul." We talk a lot about Snape's soul being wounded, about Lord Voldemort's being shredded, of Dumbledore being able to face his, but I think the concept of a "soul" may need to be pinned down so we are all starting at the same point. Are we talking necessarily the religious version of a soul, or perhaps more generally. I'm not particularly religious, so I would say that one's soul is that part of a person that makes them who they are-- apart from outside influences, upbringing, environment-- the basic essence of an individual.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  18:42:31  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

One thing that struck me as possibly being necessary is to set a base-line definition of "soul." We talk a lot about Snape's soul being wounded, about Lord Voldemort's being shredded, of Dumbledore being able to face his, but I think the concept of a "soul" may need to be pinned down so we are all starting at the same point. Are we talking necessarily the religious version of a soul, or perhaps more generally. I'm not particularly religious, so I would say that one's soul is that part of a person that makes them who they are-- apart from outside influences, upbringing, environment-- the basic essence of an individual.

Interesting point, Siobhan. Even within conservative, Protestant Christianity (which is my area of "expertise" )there is a difference of opinion about whether humans are three-part (body, soul, and spirit) or two-part (body and soul) beings. In the first case, the soul would be considered that part which gives personality to the individual (will, emotions, etc.) and the spirit would be the eternal dimension. In the second view, man is considered an eternal being and aspects of "humanity" cannot be separated and thus all these aspects would be subsumed under "soul". I must admit, I'm not sure how JKR uses the term soul when she speaks of Voldemort "splitting" his soul, for example. I'm thinking that she has actually kept that a little unclear as her definition will play a big part in the final battle between Harry and Voldie.

So how are you using the term, Theo?

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  00:20:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm definitely in the "body and soul" camp. I personally find any distinction between soul and spirit to be far too subtle to worry about outside of a masters level theology class.

Siobhan, I'm not sure what the difference is between a religious version of a soul and a general version. What happens to a soul after death is open to either religious or more secular interpretations, but the soul itself - in the context of HP at least - seems pretty straightforward.

So for our purposes here in the HPEW/HPCS universe, the soul is the eternal essence of a person which, in life, is housed in the body. At death, ideally, it departs on the next great adventure in whatever one's view of an afterlife might be, though sometimes, it sticks around earth as a ghost.

The soul can be utterly destroyed by a Dementor's Kiss. In this case, the person is truly dead in the most permanent sense. They don't simply die a physical death, they cease to exist entirely.

The worst case scenario is the one I believe awaits LV. His soul is so damaged that he cannot continue on into a productive afterlife. JKR uses Horcruxes as the mechanism to show his shattered soul. I don't, but since Western culture provides ample foundation for this anyway, we will all wind up at the same place. LV's quest for immortality has doomed him to lose any hope of it.

I will not be approaching this from an overtly religious pov - no fire and brimstone. I feel fairly confident that the way I plan to handle LV's ultimate downfall will work for everyone - whether religous or not because it really comes down to what I see as universal human truths.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 09/10/2006 02:08:40
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  00:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sunsethill

Real Life reached out and bit me this week so I don't really have time to go into details on what I liked about this chapter except to say that it was absolutely incredible creatively. I am SO looking forward to seeing the outworkings of your conception of Dumbledore's mind and what this means for Harry and Snape. Your conception of the process of occlumency and legilimency in HPEW was one of my favorite parts of that story and I can see this extension of your mental constructs becoming just as fascinating.

Oh thank you! I love Occlumency and Legilimency - the whole examination of the mind at every level and how this affects these people and their relationships. I'm so glad you enjoy it as well.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Oh, man, I missed this line. So now we have Snape undressing and snort-worthy double entendres and you're promising us MORE??
I really love the way you keep things subtle, though.

I definitely believe in subtlty especially since my 13 and 16 year old sons will eventually be reading this. I'll be pushing the envelope a bit (well, more than a bit) when we get to that future chapter, but I think it'll be a blast - and still pg-13.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 09/10/2006 00:30:13
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  18:13:08  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Personally, I would have expected a little informed concent before Dumbles administered a drug and then set a lion on The HP.

I too was much with the snorting.

The DPS always has and always will make me think of the Dead Poets Society.
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  17:01:31  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theowyn
I definitely believe in subtlty especially since my 13 and 16 year old sons will eventually be reading this. I'll be pushing the envelope a bit (well, more than a bit) when we get to that future chapter, but I think it'll be a blast - and still pg-13.

Ah, that's makes me feel good! I like UST and playful inuendo, but try to keep my reading below R. I felt pretty confident that I could rely on this story staying "comfortable" for me.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  17:07:17  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for giving us an advance idea of where you're going with your use of the "soul" in your story.

This perspective intrigued me, though.
quote:
The soul can be utterly destroyed by a Dementor's Kiss. In this case, the person is truly dead in the most permanent sense. They don't simply die a physical death, they cease to exist entirely.

The worst case scenario is the one I believe awaits LV. His soul is so damaged that he cannot continue on into a productive afterlife. JKR uses Horcruxes as the mechanism to show his shattered soul. I don't, but since Western culture provides ample foundation for this anyway, we will all wind up at the same place. LV's quest for immortality has doomed him to lose any hope of it.

Are you saying that this view of what happens when a person receives the Dementor's Kiss is your version or Canon? For some reason, I was under the impression that in Canon the person's soul was trapped and couldn't go on to eternity, but not that it was destroyed. But your approach to LV losing his hope of immortality because he could not conceive of it in any but a physical sense should be fascinating as it plays out.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  11:57:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Personally, I would have expected a little informed concent before Dumbles administered a drug and then set a lion on The HP.
Ah, but your ethics are higer than those of anyone in the wizarding world. These folks have a remarkable disregard for putting their children in danger. (No wonder there are so few of them.) Compared to letting 11-year-olds go to face Quirrellmort or sending them off in the dead of night to wander the Forbidden Forest where some kind of killer is lurking, siccing a lion on a 17-year-old is nothing. And you know it was never going to hurt Harry. DD was simply making a point.

quote:
Ah, that's makes me feel good! I like UST and playful inuendo, but try to keep my reading below R. I felt pretty confident that I could rely on this story staying "comfortable" for me.
I promise that I will never intentionally write something that crosses the PG-13 line. And if I do so unintentionally, Myf has orders to slap me. (Got that, Myf?) The last thing I want is to make anyone uncomfortable in that way.

quote:
Originally posted by sunsethill
Are you saying that this view of what happens when a person receives the Dementor's Kiss is your version or Canon? For some reason, I was under the impression that in Canon the person's soul was trapped and couldn't go on to eternity, but not that it was destroyed.
My description of the Dementor's Kiss is what I believe to be canon. I don't have my books with me, but at one point in PoA I'm pretty sure someone explains that a Dementor's Kiss is much worse than death because your soul is gone - irretrievably. Nowhere is there any discussion of it being trapped in some other realm. That is why I consider the Dementors to be the foulest of creatures and the Dementor's Kiss to be infinitely worse than any kind of conventional Capitol Punishment.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  17:54:24  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Am I slapping someone? What?

(What exactly IS PG-13? I need some guidelines here.)

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  19:49:48  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
PG-13 is an american movie rating devised by the MPAA. It means that an adult has to accompany anyone under 13 years of age. PG-13 is pretty much the target rating for most movies as it caters for those with the most disposable income.
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  21:59:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, adults don't have to accompany preteens to PG-13 movies. You're thinking of 'R' rated movies and 17 year-olds, Ben.

Our rating system runs as follows:

G - Designed for the kiddies. Think Disney.

PG - The next step up. This is wholesome, but not sickeningly so. Think the first few HP films.

PG-13 - No sex, though maybe some innuendo. Themes that aren't aimed at six year olds. These movies may be scary for the wee ones or too subtle for them to grasp. Some mild naughty language may be heard. As Ben said, most movies fall into this category. Think GoF.

R - These are grown up movies that a responsible adult wouldn't take a young child to see. Anything with any sort of sex falls into this category. Also the very violent movies do - graphic war movies, slasher flicks, Rambo!style shoot em ups. Anyone under 17 must be accompanied by an adult. Think Eyes Wide Shut or Kill Bill.

NC-17 - This used to be called X and was reserved for strictly porn movies. These days a few non-porn movies may garner this rating, but it's very rare and these will be very disturbing or explicitly sexual. You MUST be at least 17 to enter.

For grins, here's the actual definition of PG-13:
quote:
Parents Strongly Cautioned. Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13. This signifies that the film rated may be inappropriate for pre-teens. Parents should be especially careful about letting their younger children attend. Rough or persistent violence is absent; sexually-oriented nudity is generally absent; some scenes of drug use may be seen; one use of the harsher sexually derived words may be heard.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 09/13/2006 22:07:59
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  23:07:43  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
And in PG-13 you're allowed one and only one use of the naughty, naughty F word.
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  02:16:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chapter 12 is up!

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  01:27:49  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm definitely in the "body and soul" camp. I personally find any distinction between soul and spirit to be far too subtle to worry about outside of a masters level theology class.

I find myself in some of those discussions on John Granger's forum, as some of the people there are theologians, pastors, or very intent on the study of religion, in general. I love the discussions, but I know a lot of people wouldn't.

quote:
Siobhan, I'm not sure what the difference is between a religious version of a soul and a general version. What happens to a soul after death is open to either religious or more secular interpretations, but the soul itself - in the context of HP at least - seems pretty straightforward.

So for our purposes here in the HPEW/HPCS universe, the soul is the eternal essence of a person which, in life, is housed in the body. At death, ideally, it departs on the next great adventure in whatever one's view of an afterlife might be, though sometimes, it sticks around earth as a ghost.

I think you've already clarified this one pretty well, but I want to add that when Remus is telling Harry about the Dementor's Kiss, he says that the soul is gone (doesn't say where, but it doesn't sound like there's a chance of the person getting it back) but the body can live on without a soul. So--destroyed soul, but living body--a shell of a person, as what made the person an individual no longer exists.

quote:

I will not be approaching this from an overtly religious pov - no fire and brimstone. I feel fairly confident that the way I plan to handle LV's ultimate downfall will work for everyone - whether religous or not because it really comes down to what I see as universal human truths.

I agree with you there. And I think that JKR is going that direction; what happens will work equally well for people of all faiths, or no faith, except those who don't accept that there is an afterlife--the "you live for 70+ years, you die, and that's that". By talking about a soul, going to the next great adventure, the ghosts having chosen to "not go on", Rowling seems to have made it clear that her characters have more to look forward to than just an earthly existence.

Isn't it possible that all of Voldemort's experiments will keep him alive, but with most of his Horcruxes destroyed, he will only exist, much like a person after a Dementor's Kiss, but with just enough of a soul fragment left o that he will actually be aware of the horror he has made for himself? I think it has to be something along that line, because of the numerous times that Dumbledore has said that there are worse things than death; we so far have seen Neville's parents who are in a state that might be worse than death--but that's hard to judge since we don't know what kind of memories they have, if any. But I think there has to be some consequence for Voldemort that we haven't seen in anyone else.

Oh, and some PG13 movies have some rather "revealing" scenes--isn't "Dirty Dancing" (the original one) PG13? And the use of the F-word is really a hoot in POC-Dead Man's Chest, when Capt. Jack keeps saying "Oh, bugger", sometimes many times in a row. Quite funny that that one went right by the censors--even I loved it.

(If I edit this enough, I'll finally say everything I thought of while I was catching up on last week.)

I loved Chap. 12, Theo. Especially the way you used Alice in Wonderland, which I will admit is not one of my favorites, but one that is familiar. It worked quite well, for what you were doing. Oh, and just a side note--I'm re-reading HBP, and noticed especially the part where Dumbledore is talking to Harry about his reaction to the Prophecy. It fits very nicely with the idea that Harry has been using unintentional Legilimency as his earlier access to Voldemort's mind. It's seems to me that your take on that is spot on.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Edited by - Eeyore on 09/16/2006 01:36:07
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  03:00:38  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Oh, and some PG13 movies have some rather "revealing" scenes--isn't "Dirty Dancing" (the original one) PG13? And the use of the F-word is really a hoot in POC-Dead Man's Chest, when Capt. Jack keeps saying "Oh, bugger", sometimes many times in a row. Quite funny that that one went right by the censors--even I loved it.
Because I'm a bastard, I'm going to accuse you of not reading my post. PG-13 is allowed one and only one use of the f word. Directors/scriptwriters work very hard to make that one effective.
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  03:47:17  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I didn't think Eeyore ignored your post. How did you come to that conclusion, Ben? Aren't you referrring to the word 'bugger' getting past the censors, Eeyore?

And anyway, even though it was ages ago, my query of 'what is PG13 anyway?' was more about what actually fits - I know what age range etc it is supposed to be appropriate for. I find those guidelines utterly nebulous.

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  11:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myf... my query of 'what is PG13 anyway?' was more about what actually fits - I know what age range etc it is supposed to be appropriate for. I find those guidelines utterly nebulous.
You're right. They are. Basically, for our purposes, PG-13 means no explicit sex. Harry and Ginny can kiss passionately but for anything else they need to go on long walks down by the lake alone.

As to innuendo, almost anything is acceptable, but I will be staying on the tamer side. I want to make people laugh, not squirm.

Eeyore, thanks for the thoughtful reponse to my post on souls. Your idea of LV staying just alive enough to realize how horrible his fate is was quite chilling. I'm glad to know you liked chapter 12 and that Alice worked. AiW isn't one of my favorite books either, but it just seemed appropriate here. It's also nice to know that you think my take on Harry's inadvertent Occlumency meshes well with HBP. That was my impression as well given DD's comment that LV is using Occlumency against Harry.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 09/16/2006 11:57:05
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  01:10:01  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Always good to know, Theo, that sex is OMGhorrific but the, er, thing you have planned for a chapter or so hence (which you remember terrified me) is AOK for the kidlings!

Not specific to you, of course, but the disparity between explicitness (is that even a word? *checks* Yep) of sex and violence is something that annoys the crap out of me.

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  10:31:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of people would agree with you, Myf, but this is one of those facts of life. In general, people are more sensitive to graphic sex than graphic violence. Notice that in all the heated debate over the stupid bottle this thread was named after that no one even hinted that the scene was too violent. But all Harry and Snape have to do is stare into each other's eyes a little too long and I get raised eyebrows.

Violence may horrify people, but sexual tension makes them uncomfortable and of the two, the majority much prefer being horrified.

As a side note: you realize that everyone is now going to be wondering what could have terrified you so badly.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 09/17/2006 10:42:26
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.