Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  12:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love Futurama! I hadn't thought of Farnsworth, but you're right. However, I promise that I haven't thought of anyway to get you all killed and I hope that ch25 isn't a useless invention.

I'm so glad to know that HPEW blends so nicely with JKR's work. That is high praise indeed!!

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 04/23/2007 12:53:43
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  13:28:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a wind up Bender in my kitchen window. Daughter has often heard me quote him while driving-- she knows better than to repeat it.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  10:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So who's ready for another chapter this week?

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  10:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*dratted flood control*

ME!! ME!!! ME!!!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  10:43:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

*dratted flood control*

ME!! ME!!! ME!!!

Lol! Well, that was quick!

Right then. You can expect chapter 25 this evening.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  10:58:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I'm half way through OoP. I need something to look forward to.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  01:07:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And Chapter 25 is now up.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 04/25/2007 01:09:04
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  14:32:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm probably the only one who was expecting it, Theo!

Now for the comfy chair!
I liked Harry's approach to Severus in this chapter. Very satisfying to have Harry realise that he enjoyed their relaxed talk-- finding that level of connection between them aside from what they want/need from each other. It would be nice for that to extend to some extent to Snape. So now Snape realises (because Harry finally talked to him instead of putting it off) why Harry acted the way he did over the summer. How long will it take, I wonder, for Snape to believe that Harry truly forgives him.

And will Knight continue to slay DE's now that she's on the run-- or perhaps a light jog is more like it? Honestly, she'll have a harder job keeping ahead of the DE's than the Ministry. No one seems to blame her or think that she's done anything particularly reprehensible. Where's old justice-bound Moody? He was sure big on bringing Snape to justice when he thought he was the murderer. Now that Moody's discovered it's Knight, he doesn't seem so keen on the trail, but perhaps it's too early to tell.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  17:19:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm probably the only one who was expecting it, Theo!

Definitely, though Eeyore emailed me to say she'd gotten it. Bless all those who check their email regularly.

quote:
Now for the comfy chair!
I liked Harry's approach to Severus in this chapter. Very satisfying to have Harry realise that he enjoyed their relaxed talk-- finding that level of connection between them aside from what they want/need from each other. It would be nice for that to extend to some extent to Snape.
Having Severus in this story is wonderful because he really is a different character from Snape and his relationship with Harry is different. Since he's roughly the same age as Harry and isn't in a position of authority over him, it is much easier for them to connect. This allows him to act as a bridge between Harry and Snape.

quote:
So now Snape realises (because Harry finally talked to him instead of putting it off) why Harry acted the way he did over the summer. How long will it take, I wonder, for Snape to believe that Harry truly forgives him.

Hey, it only took six months to clear up that little misunderstanding about summer, so given a decade or two...

quote:
And will Knight continue to slay DE's now that she's on the run-- or perhaps a light jog is more like it?

Lol! Yeah, the Ministry hasn't exactly put her on their 'most wanted' list and you can bet that none of her fellow Aurors are looking for her!

This is a perfect example of how we judge different people by different standards. Snape, the nasty, sneering ex-DE, is the guy everyone loves to hate - or at least to think the worst of. But Knight really is an admirable person in most ways. She did her best to teach Harry and to give him a leg up on Auror training. She's everything Moody said she was and more. Consequently, people make allowances for her where they wouldn't for Snape. It's unfair, but that's human nature.

To be fair to Moody, though, he hasn't excused her. He would bring her to trial, given the chance. But at the moment he's just too stunned and grief-stricken to deal with it.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 04/25/2007 18:38:11
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  18:19:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew it! It had to be Knight!!! Just a quick note to thank you Theo for continuing to mail us the chapters. And of course for continuing to write them!!! Keep it up...
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  19:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theowyn
Having Severus in this story is wonderful because he really is a different character from Snape and his relationship with Harry is different. Since he's roughly the same age as Harry and isn't in a position of authority over him, it is much easier for them to connect.
Severus as a peer would be much easier to deal with-- especially for Harry. They have such a rocky history as student and instructor to get beyond in order to deal with each other as individuals that it forms a barrier to any other viewpoint.
quote:
This is a perfect example of how we judge different people by different standards. Snape, the nasty, sneering ex-DE, is the guy everyone loves to hate - or at least to think the worst of. But Knight really is an admirable person in most ways. She did her best to teach Harry and to give him a leg up on Auror training. She's everything Moody said she was and more. Consequently, people make allowances for her where they wouldn't for Snape. It's unfair, but that's human nature.
This extends to her own view of her actions. She doesn't see that by killing these people she is commiting murder. In her mind she's taking out the trash. Umbridge thought that because she was doing what was best for the Ministry, breaking a few laws was acceptible. Many people agreed with both of them, but that doesn't make what they did right.

quote:
To be fair to Moody, though, he hasn't excused her. He would bring her to trial, given the chance. But at the moment he's just too stunned and grief-stricken to deal with it.
So I look to Moody to be as dilligent in finding her as he was in trying to catch Snape. And I do believe he will, it's just I can't help thinking it really unjust that he was certain Snape was the vigillante, when he had no real proof. Not that that is unrealistic, it is just not justice.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  20:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Having Severus in this story is wonderful because he really is a different character from Snape and his relationship with Harry is different. Since he's roughly the same age as Harry and isn't in a position of authority over him, it is much easier for them to connect.
Severus as a peer would be much easier to deal with-- especially for Harry. They have such a rocky history as student and instructor to get beyond in order to deal with each other as individuals that it forms a barrier to any other viewpoint.

Yes, especially since Harry has known Snape since he was 11. It's very difficult for a child/adult relationship to morph into one of equals. I'm 45 and there are still people I would never dream of calling by their first name simply because I grew up knowing them as Mr. or Mrs. So-and-so. Severus is invaluable to Harry because they truly are equals.

quote:
quote:
This extends to her own view of her actions. She doesn't see that by killing these people she is commiting murder. In her mind she's taking out the trash. Umbridge thought that because she was doing what was best for the Ministry, breaking a few laws was acceptible...

Yes, and Voldemort is exactly the same. He doesn't think of himself as evil. Muggles and Muggle-borns are animals beneath consideration. Anyone who stands in the way of his vision of an ideal world is an enemy who can be tortured or killed with impunity. He's an extreme, of course, but all three of these people have the same attitude. They dehumanize others and believe themselves to be above the rules.

quote:
quote:
So I look to Moody to be as dilligent in finding her as he was in trying to catch Snape. And I do believe he will, it's just I can't help thinking it really unjust that he was certain Snape was the vigillante, when he had no real proof. Not that that is unrealistic, it is just not justice.

You're right; it was totally unfair and Moody knows it. In fact, he has a great deal of soul-searching to do about his attitudes and assumptions. So we may see a softer, less judgemental Moody come out of this.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Krabat
Giddy

Germany
40 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  08:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I agree that Severus is exactly what Harry needs to even contemplate to deepen the relationship with Snape. So, now I wonder: there is a lot of information Severus is giving to Harry that Snape would never mention, for example how his mother died. How will Snape react when he finds out that Harry knows a lot more about him than he thinks? Or will it feel alright to him since he himself, even on a subconcious level, did give the information to Harry. I really liked in this chapter, how it was illustrated that Snape and Severus are one person and although Snape has no clue what is going on in his deeper mind he still is able to sense the consequences. So, I think Harry does not have to worry about having to earn the trust of two difficult men, but rather he will get a two-for-one package. The trust he builds with Severus will somehow ease his difficulties with Snape and vice versa. Or am I on the wrong track. Theo? If my assumptions are correct then this is a neat plot device to develop a really deep and meaningful relationship between the two. I was at a loss in imagining a situation where Snape would open up to a student.
Another thing I really enjoy is how some sort of balance is achieved between Harry and Snape. In some, mainly emotional regards, Harry is definitely more mature, however Snape is much more experienced and skilled in surviving a war. Both could benefit big time from each other. Sad, that they both lack in communication skills, but as you said Theo, it took them only six months to work out one of their misunderstandings.
Regarding the vigilante situation: I'm really curious if Snape gets an apology from Moody and some other order members. It would be the decent thing to do, but I don't see it happening.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  11:26:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least Remus was all for holding back on the accusations.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  11:37:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yes, I agree that Severus is exactly what Harry needs to even contemplate to deepen the relationship with Snape. So, now I wonder: there is a lot of information Severus is giving to Harry that Snape would never mention, for example how his mother died. How will Snape react when he finds out that Harry knows a lot more about him than he thinks? Or will it feel alright to him since he himself, even on a subconcious level, did give the information to Harry.

A lot of this stuff, Harry will never mention to Snape so Snape won't realize how much Harry knows. But the larger question is still valid and as long as Harry is maintaining roughly parallel relationships with both Severus and Snape, then yes, Snape will be fine with whatever Severus tells Harry.

quote:
I really liked in this chapter, how it was illustrated that Snape and Severus are one person and although Snape has no clue what is going on in his deeper mind he still is able to sense the consequences. So, I think Harry does not have to worry about having to earn the trust of two difficult men, but rather he will get a two-for-one package. The trust he builds with Severus will somehow ease his difficulties with Snape and vice versa.

Actually, you and Harry are both right here. As Harry builds trust with either Severus or Snape it will indeed improve his relationship with the other. But the caveat is that he does have to build both relationships. He can't just be pals with Severus, for instance, and have that transform his relationship with Snape. That kind of imbalance would ultimately undermine his relationship with both.

quote:
If my assumptions are correct then this is a neat plot device to develop a really deep and meaningful relationship between the two. I was at a loss in imagining a situation where Snape would open up to a student.

I can't see that happening in the normal course of events either and I'm glad you like the introduction of Severus to get around this problem.

quote:
Another thing I really enjoy is how some sort of balance is achieved between Harry and Snape. In some, mainly emotional regards, Harry is definitely more mature, however Snape is much more experienced and skilled in surviving a war. Both could benefit big time from each other. Sad, that they both lack in communication skills...

They are learning though. Mostly, they need to stop making assumptions about each other.

quote:
Regarding the vigilante situation: I'm really curious if Snape gets an apology from Moody and some other order members. It would be the decent thing to do, but I don't see it happening.

You're right on both counts. It would be the decent thing to do, but it won't happen. None of these people are big on talking to each other. Most of the Aurors never openly accused him, so they won't openly apologize either. Moody certainly isn't one to discuss his feelings and let's face it, Snape would only sneer at him if he tried to apologize. Snape isn't the forgiving sort and these two still actively dislike each other. There is only one member of the OotP who would readily apologize to Snape and that's Remus who, as Siobhan points out, was the only one not out for his blood in the first place. Of course they don't have much opportunity to chat, so this isn't going to happen any time soon.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 04/26/2007 11:40:30
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  14:33:35  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was really wonderful getting two chapters so close together. My RL is somewhat crazy right now, so I can't give a detailed review, but I did love both chapters. In Chapter 24, I really felt that things were lining up for Snape and Harry's relationship to move to a more adult level and this was borne out beautifully in Chapter 25. It was also nice to see Harry maturing. He is still making mistakes, but his basic approach is slowly feeling more adult as we move along. This is a major accomplishment in your writing. So many stories either have an infantile Harry or a suddenly-mature Harry. You have really shown him growing in this story.

Since we are so near the end, you think I would have a better feel for how getting to know Snape's mind will actually affect the final confrontation with Voldemort, but I know it will come as a complete surprise given my level of understanding at this point.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  16:53:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sunsethill

It was really wonderful getting two chapters so close together.
Hopefully the chapters will be coming fairly close together from now on. There really isn't that much time left until July 21st.

quote:
It was also nice to see Harry maturing. He is still making mistakes, but his basic approach is slowly feeling more adult as we move along. This is a major accomplishment in your writing. So many stories either have an infantile Harry or a suddenly-mature Harry. You have really shown him growing in this story.
Thank you! That's a huge compliment and I really appreciate it.

quote:
Since we are so near the end, you think I would have a better feel for how getting to know Snape's mind will actually affect the final confrontation with Voldemort, but I know it will come as a complete surprise given my level of understanding at this point.
Well, you aren't supposed to have figured that out, you know. It should be a surprise. Besides, we really aren't that close to the end. There are still six chapters left to go and there's A LOT that needs to go into them.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 04/27/2007 16:54:41
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  15:29:22  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well, you aren't supposed to have figured that out, you know. It should be a surprise. Besides, we really aren't that close to the end. There are still six chapters left to go and there's A LOT that needs to go into them.

I couldn't remember exactly how many were left. I can tell that things are really starting to pick up on this rollercoaster, but I don't think six is all that many left. I REALLY hope that you get bit by another plot bunny after DH.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  17:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sunsethill

quote:

I couldn't remember exactly how many were left. I can tell that things are really starting to pick up on this rollercoaster, but I don't think six is all that many left. I REALLY hope that you get bit by another plot bunny after DH.
I hope so, too. Luckily CS leaves lots of room for future adventures.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  03:50:21  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I loved getting the surprise of a chapter last week. Terry was still in the hospital, and it was such a great escape to read CS and think about something else. When I found the chapter I was finishing up for the evening and just checked my email one more time. While Terry was in the hospital, it was easier to keep in touch with everyone by email--saved all that time on the phone. So I really expected to find another message from someone regarding Terry. Chapter 25 was just exactly what I needed.

So I emailed Theo after I finished and then didn't have the chance to pop over here and post anything. This was my first response:

I just finished the chapter, which was fabulous. I love the times that Harry and Snape (and Severus) spend with one another. It's the part of the Harry Potter books that is underlying the surface of the story, and the part that I'm afraid JKR will never fully explore. So these forays that Harry is making into Snape's mind, and then the face-to-face conversations that they have are great! (Oh, and as I'm the only one in the house, I read the chapter aloud, which I loved doing with HPEW, but haven't had much chance to do with CS. It reads aloud well, btw.)

I'd like to read this one again, mainly because I really liked the things you brought up about Harry needing to nurture the relationship with Severus and with Snape. This works on so many levels--in HPCS, but also in thinking about relationships with people in real life. There are times that we should apply the same sort of principle, I think. We work with someone and know them on that level, but we would really understand them better, and have a better relationship if we took the time to know them in their personal life, or at least as much as they'd let us know.

I'd like to take a big step back to the earlier chapters, when Harry first starting having lessons with Dumbledore and visited the garden that is Dumbledore's mind and then the dueling sessions. It was intriguing, but I couldn't figure out where you were going with all of it. It seemed very far from canon, sometimes too far.

Now that we have Harry inside Snape's mind, I must say, I love it. He is finding all those things that we learned about from the first part of HBP--and it's great to see it in a different way--through the eyes of a young Severus rather than through the eyes of Narcissa and Bellatrix.

If Harry can make those connections with the younger, hidden Severus, won't he be able to try the same technique on Voldemort and connect with a younger Tom Riddle--younger than the Tom Riddle of canon. There must have been some point when Tom was reachable, and if Harry is able to reach a young Tom as he has with Severus, then . . . I'm not sure how to get there, but it seems that that's the way for Harry to defeat Voldemort. And that is where we have to end up, no?

Well, anyway, back to Harry and Severus and Snape. It made me think about people in general. We become adults and the world sees us in a particular way, but the younger version of ourselves is still there, be it someone who was a bully or someone who was innocent or timid or carefree. So we have that same sort of thing going on in our own minds; but most of us, unlike Snape have not compartmentalized our different aspects of our personalities the way Snape has done. It seems to be one more indication of his harsh childhood--the kind of childhood that we learn about with an adult who never connects with others because of the horrors in their past.

As I said, I'm afraid that JKR will never explore some of the things with the characters that you have already brought up. So thanks for going down a different path with the story--it's great to think about it, and whether we are right or wrong with our speculations, it adds so much more depth to the story.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  10:38:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eeyore

If Harry can make those connections with the younger, hidden Severus, won't he be able to try the same technique on Voldemort and connect with a younger Tom Riddle--younger than the Tom Riddle of canon. There must have been some point when Tom was reachable, and if Harry is able to reach a young Tom as he has with Severus, then . . . I'm not sure how to get there, but it seems that that's the way for Harry to defeat Voldemort. And that is where we have to end up, no?
It all depends on whether that part of Tom is reachable, though, doesn't it? Harry can interact with Severus because Severus happens to be Snape's subconscious self. Harry sees the things that happened to a younger version, but cannot interact with that version-- they are simply memories.

In order for Harry to interact with Tom as a child, wouldn't that have to be Voldemort's subconsious self? We seem to agree that Snape has not developed beyond his teenage self based in part on his behaviour now. But what of Tom/Voldemort? Would Tom even be Voldemort's subconscious self?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  11:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very thoughtful posts and Eeyore, I'm so glad to hear that Terry is home and doing okay.

quote:
Originally posted by Eeyore

As I said, I'm afraid that JKR will never explore some of the things with the characters that you have already brought up. So thanks for going down a different path with the story--it's great to think about it, and whether we are right or wrong with our speculations, it adds so much more depth to the story.

This is really why I started writing fanfiction. Jo has created this incredible world and these amazing characters and there's no way she'll ever have the time to explore all the possibilities. Being able to step in and take the road not travelled is wonderful.

I can't talk about Voldemort's mind of course, but I will say that there is a very specific reason why Dumbledore is pushing Harry and Snape together on virtually every level he can.

Speaking of earlier chapters, I have just started posting HPCS out at fanfiction.net. Chapter 7: Moody's Mission just went up and I'm seeing reviews such as "Snape is NOT a murderer! Please don't make him a murderer!" and "Harry is not going to be forgiven for this [betraying Snape]!" It makes me realize how far this story has come and how much ground has been covered.

Just six more chapters to go!

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  02:16:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A quick note to say that I just sent chapter 26 to Myf.

Myf's all done, so tonight's the night!!

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 05/09/2007 15:57:11
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  16:17:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  22:07:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, it's on its way.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  12:50:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SPOILERS

Powerful chapter, Theo. The letters, the potion, the practicum, the circumstances all work so well together. You've outdone yourself. As complex as HPEW was, this is better.

Your version of Snape's becoming involved with the DE's follows what I have always felt to be the truth. I can only hope we'll find out as much in canon. The use of the Clarifying Solution to bring Harry to the rest of the letters was well done. He thinks he's most concerned with fighting Voldemort, but really he finds that his Mum and Snape are more important. Could they be linked? That for some reason Harry needs to know about his Mum and Snape so that he can fight Voldemort? Friendship..... having friends.... not being left "a lone sheep".... "a man who will betray ayone for his own profit will find himself alone".... "who will buy you the time you require to wage the mental battle"

Oh, I also like the subtle change in Snape's teaching/personality that seems to be taking place. He's still him, but he's more plainly stating the truth, rather than just picking on his students (Yea! Neville!!). All because of Harry's lessons???

It seems we are back to the word "compassion" again. It's not the same as love, but Harry has it in abundance (canon and thanon). This more broad term seems more likely to be the DoM mystery to me. We can feel compassion even for people we dislike. It doesn't mean we love them, just that we can feel for their pain (for lack of a better term). It's the connection we share with every living thing. It's the connection Voldemort lacks entirely that makes him cabable of doing every conceivable horrid thing. It's something we don't understand, sometimes don't believe or know we can feel, yet there it is-- for most of us.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  13:58:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Siobhan, Thank you so much for that amazing post. You've hit on so much here. You're absolutely right about Voldemort. It is his complete lack of compassion or connection to anyone that makes him a monster.

As Harry is reminded by the Clarifying Solution, nothing is more important than our relationships with others. Everything else - even something as overwhelming as facing Voldemort - is dependent on relationships. Where would Harry be without his friends, after all. And Snape makes the same point to Draco with is "lone sheep" comment.

This all ties back to the title of the story - The Chained Souls. I picked the word "chained" very deliberately because it has two meanings. It can mean 'bound', but it can also mean 'linked' and both of these meanings play a role in the story.

As to Snape teaching DADA, that was one of the most challenging aspects of this chapter and the next. Snape has a very different experience with and attitude towards the Dark Arts than Potions, consequently he is not going to teach these subjects the same way.

Snape loves the art of brewing potions and it disgusted by the students who don't share his passion for the subject. Since this is essentially every student, he sees teaching Potions as a thankless job. The only perk is being able to play with the kids' minds, either favoring or torturing them as his whim dictates.

But DADA is different. Failure at Potions may send someone to the hospital wing to have boils healed, but naivety in the face of the Dark Arts can cost a person's life or soul and might cost them the war. Snape knows this all too well and is deadly serious about preparing these students for what is coming. He can't aford the luxury of insults and mind games. DADA is too important for that.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  15:16:07  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful chapter, Theo. I love the way you are tying all the things together. And ditto to what Siobhan said.

Gotta run--I have a meeting to get to.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  11:44:12  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awesome chapter. You have done such wonderful things with new canon knowledge, making it your own and having it fit beautifully into your conception of canon. The DADA lesson had so many connections to the little we see in HBP, yet was so rich with detail. I still hate it that we got to see so little of Snape teaching DADA. The scene also emphasizes that in thanon (love that word), Snape is now free to express his true feelings. He is not having to play games anymore.

I also loved how you brought together two hanging threads with the Clarifying Solution and the letters. This is what I am looking for JKR to do in the final book. Several unresolved questions need to be tied up with one solution for the book to be as short as it is.

Your take on Snape's early interest in the Dark Arts is kinder than I think will end up canon, but very within the realm of possibility since I'm still trying to figure out how a half-blood learned so many curses before he even came to Hogwarts. I can't see a Dark Witch marrying a muggle.

And, Siobhan, you did a wonderful job of verbalizing the role of compassion and relationships in this story. I fully expect them to be essential in DH also.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  11:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.