Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  11:30:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

NO, Siobhan mustn't read the comments until after reading the chapter!!! Bad Siobhan!!! *goes to iron hands*

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  11:58:20  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You know, I really hate it when we are SO far ahead of Harry! But it is admissable this time since he hadn't met Lily in Snape's mind when Snape asked about the locket. So Lily and Severus were neighbors, huh? I fully expect Harry to put together the locket and Snape soon and go looking for those letters--but with Harry one never knows.

You did a great job, Theo, with the scenes behind the wall. They are somewhat stock scenes, but necessary. And then you throw in the creepy Angel of Death. That was unexpected. And, of course, we knew that Lily had to be behind there. I also don't know exactly where you plan to go with Snape's and Lily's relationship, which is fun. I liked the little detail of Snape's headache now that Harry is getting behind the wall.

It was good to spin the "Moody hates Snape" plate and the "Remus is defending Snape" plate and the "Who the heck is killing the DE's" plate. We wouldn't want to loose sight of those.

I'm looking forward to Harry's discussion with Dumbledore. Surely he knew about Snape and Lily being at least friends.

Have fun on your vacation! Thanks for getting us this chapter today.

One little nit-pick. When Harry first saw his mother, he called her Lily. I'm not sure that would be his first reaction. I know he would not want to reveal he was her son, since she wouldn't understand that. But we get no indication that he has to work to call her "Lily" instead of "Mum."

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  13:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, I actually had Harry call Lily "Mum" in the earlier drafts of this chapter. I changed it primarily because she is so young - younger than Harry here.

Between HPEW and HPCS, Harry has spent a lot of time wandering through other people's minds and memories. He didn't think of young!James as his dad in HPEW and he certainly doesn't equate Severus with Snape in HPCS. Because of this, I think that Harry would be able to distinguish the sixteen-year-old Lily from his mother without making the verbal slip.

I might be wrong. It was a close call on this and I went back and forth on how to handle it. But basically it came down to the fact that Harry is an adult now and I think he's mature enough and experienced enough to see his parents as people first instead of as his parents. It's that extra bit of objectivity that comes with growing up.

As for the rest, I'm glad the scenes behind the wall worked. Of all the minds I'm delving into, Snape's is by far the trickiest. So much of it is utterly mundane and predictable because that is how Snape protects himself. Show people what they expect to see and they won't think to look further. That's the story of his life! And it holds true even in the deepest recesses of his mind. But there are some things that even Severus can't hide completely and the elusive 'Angel of Death' is one of them.

You're right, the "Who is killing the DEs?" issue can't be forgotten. Definitely not!

As for Lily, the locket and the Letters... Harry is a bit slow and has a lot on his mind, but he will get there.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 03/28/2007 14:02:31
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  16:44:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good chapter Theo.

May I offer an idea for Harry when he meets Lily? How about a slight pause. That would show that Harry was truly surprised, but had to adapt quickly to the fact that she didn't know him.

The only problem I had with the scenes behind the wall was with the very first one-- and it's not the scene so much as Harry's reaction. After hearing Tobias yelling, Eileen pleading, and Severus crying, Harry "had no doubt that it had occurred at some point in Snape's childhood." The way this is stated, Harry seems unfamiliar with this scene even though he has seen it before in occlumency lessons. Later in the chapter Harry remembers the "worst" memory from those lessons, so he must be at least familiar with the argument's place in Snape's past, no?

The black figure reminds me of the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come. Let the Dickens parallels begin!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  16:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great suggestions on those scenes, Siobhan. I will rework those before I post them to SQ and sites beyond.

quote:
The black figure reminds me of the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come. Let the Dickens parallels begin!

It does, doesn't it? We have so many of these dark, shrouded figures in literature.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  00:44:13  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I loved this chapter, because of the delving into Snape's mind and finding Lily there was a surprise--a nice one.

I was curious why some of the time the people in the memory could see and interact with Harry and some of the time they couldn't. Shouldn't it be the same all the time? Or maybe it was too late when I was reading and I missed something--that's entirely possible.

One nitpick--there are some times that you use question marks at the end of sentences, but they don't sound at all like questions. Just an observation.

I sent you this in the email, but I'll post it here as well:

Severus's reaction to Harry's offers of help is very much like the young Tom Riddle's comments that he doesn't need anyone's help--parallel behaviour yet not at all the same; the difference is that Riddle was the one doing the bullying, while Severus is on the receiving end. We know that the adult Riddle continues and gets worse, and the adult Snape isn't bullied anymore that we ever see, but he has become very bitter.

Have a wonderful vacation.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  02:00:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eeyore
I was curious why some of the time the people in the memory could see and interact with Harry and some of the time they couldn't. Shouldn't it be the same all the time? Or maybe it was too late when I was reading and I missed something--that's entirely possible.
Very good question. The only people who aren't aware of Harry are the DEs and yes, there's a specific reason for this, though it's a bit hard to explain. Most of the people in Snape's mind are like those we see in DD's - people he's known and who, as individuals, have left an impression on him. The debauchery of the DEs, by contrast, is about events that have influenced Snape. The DEs are anonymous participants. They could be any of the DEs Snape has known and since they aren't actual people - only representatives of an idea - they can't interact with Harry. They're just part of a scene that's playing out, no different from the scenery.

quote:
One nitpick--there are some times that you use question marks at the end of sentences, but they don't sound at all like questions. Just an observation.
I have an unfortunate habit of doing this and I have no idea why. This is strictly a gramatical problem and I'll fix it. Thanks for mentioning this.

Glad you enjoyed the chapter.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Krabat
Giddy

Germany
40 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  12:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another nice chapter, Theo. I really like how you layer Snape's mind. First I thought Harry will get somewhere when he talks to the Severus in Snape's mind. Then it was "oh, he has just to look behind that wall". And now he is met with even more questions. I'm also very curious where you are going with the relationship between Snape and Lily. We know they wrote each other letters and the presence of Lily as the guardian of the first beautiful place we saw in Snape's mind, the park, hints that she was very important to Snape. But was that feeling reciprocated or did Severus pine (and perhaps idealize her) from a distance?

Now, I will lower the literary level of the discussion. The dark figure reminds me not so much of Dickens, but of the scene in the second Star Wars movie where Luke Skywalker has to confront all his fears. He encounters Darth Vader and kills him but when he gets rid of the dead Vader's mask he sees his own face. The dark figure reminds me of Voldemort, nobody in Snape's mindscape calling hin by name. But I think it could be Severus himself. I guess, it is in some respect easier to process experiences where you are the victim, than face up to the fact that you commited reprehensible acts of your own volition.
There should be a lot of that in Snape's past and we have not yet seen how he deals with it, apart from his massive guilt about recruiting Wormtail.

So much speculation for now. Enjoy your vacation, Theo.
Go to Top of Page

U-No-Poo
Addled

133 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  20:40:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The parallel with Voldemort also ocurred to me, as did the idea of Snape being under the hood. Well, it must at least represent a part of Snape since we are viewing Snape's soul...right? Does it work that way, Theo? Does that mean that Lily and her garden represents the more gentle side of Snape (hidden behind a wall; that explains a lot...)? But if it is specifically himself that seems to be tormenting Snape's mind... I didn't really understand why Snape would see himself as his own enemy until Krabat explained it . Can't wait to see Theo's reply.
There's a lot more mysteries and hence a lot more detective work and suspense in HPCS, plus there's all these fascinating forays into the character's minds. I'm loving it, Theo!

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  22:13:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Just popping in to say that I'm off on vacation. The whole family is heading for Japan in the morning and we'll be gone for two weeks. Everyone stay safe and well and I'll talk to you mid-April.

Love, Theo
I just thought I'd post this here too. Don't give up hope. I'm sure she'll be pleased to answer questions when she gets back.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  04:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm back! Japan was great, but I'm thrilled to be home. Two weeks away is a long time, but it is a joy to come home to such thoughtful posts as these. You do present me with a cunnundrum though, because regarding the black-robed figure, I really shouldn't tell you anything about him - he's supposed to be a mystery after all.

That was my first reaction. However, whether it's jet-lag or the euphoria of two weeks of vacation, I'm going to answer anyway - or as JKR might say, I'm going to be quite indiscreet. Actually, I don't think it's really giving too much away, because the real mystery behind the figure in black is what part of Severus's soul - what black deeds - he represents rather than what he looks like. So here goes.

quote:
Now, I will lower the literary level of the discussion. The dark figure reminds me not so much of Dickens, but of the scene in the second Star Wars movie where Luke Skywalker has to confront all his fears. He encounters Darth Vader and kills him but when he gets rid of the dead Vader's mask he sees his own face.
Bingo! You've been close on a number of points in the past, Krabat, but you are so spot on this time that I can't in good conscience refuse to tell you so. This is exactly the scene I had in mind when I created this dark figure. Of course the situation here is different because Severus knows who this person is. Unlike Luke who had to confront the darkness in himself, it is Harry who must wrestle with Snape's dark side.

quote:
The dark figure reminds me of Voldemort, nobody in Snape's mindscape calling hin by name.
Yes, there is definitely meant to be a connection here.

quote:
I guess, it is in some respect easier to process experiences where you are the victim, than face up to the fact that you commited reprehensible acts of your own volition.
Absolutely! A lot of fans think that Snape's Boggart is himself and that definitely gets a nod here. Think of Moody and all the others who distrust Snape and even of Dumbledore's comment that he "fears the turmoil he sees" in Snape's mind. It's not hard to understand how Snape might fear the darkness in himself as well.

quote:
There should be a lot of that in Snape's past and we have not yet seen how he deals with it, apart from his massive guilt about recruiting Wormtail.
Yes there should be.

quote:
The parallel with Voldemort also ocurred to me, as did the idea of Snape being under the hood. Well, it must at least represent a part of Snape since we are viewing Snape's soul...right? Does it work that way, Theo?
Yes and no. The dark figure is Severus so he directly represents Snape. The other people in Snape's mind - or anyone else's - represent those who have influenced the person. These are the people who help to make you who you are, but they aren't you. So Harry sees his friends, parents and teachers when he is with Dumbledore in his own mind. Dumbledore sees his old headmaster and legions of others.

It is worth noting here that Severus is not the most mentally healthy individual. We did not see multiple incarnations of Harry or Dumbledore when we visited their minds - only their current selves. This is because they are healthy, well-adjusted people. Snape, by contrast, is a mess. His main persona is Severus - the angry, guilt-ridden, reclusive young man, but there is also the abused child who keeps appearing as well as the dark alter-ego whom Harry is chasing. These need to all be integrated into one personality, but that won't happen until the adult Snape is able to face his past and take control of this mess.

quote:
Does that mean that Lily and her garden represents the more gentle side of Snape (hidden behind a wall; that explains a lot...)?
Before I answer this, I should explain the duality that we encounter in a person's mind. Take Dumbledore for instance. Dumbledore is present with Harry when Harry delves into his mind. And the old wizard with Harry is Dumbledore's conscious mind presented in the same familiar form with which Harry is used to interacting. But Dumbledore's garden is the manifestation of his soul.

The same holds true in Snape's mind. Severus represents Snape's mind and various other incarnations of him represent traumatic experiences that have been cut off from his main consciousness - compartmentalized. But the landscape of Snape's mind is his soul.

It is very significant that Lily is behind the wall and that Severus refuses to see her. She isn't Snape; She is herself and is one of those people who has touched Snape deeply. But the pain that Lily evokes is more than Severus can bear - not least because the garden she tends is his soul. That's what makes her words so poignant.

"The neighborhood may not be the most handsome, but it doesn't have to be so mean. With some effort, it could be quite lovely. The trouble is that no one else bothers to look past the ugliness and neglect to see the potential of the place. No one seems to care. Even Severus has stopped caring."

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 04/13/2007 04:28:35
Go to Top of Page

freesteps
Giddy

2 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  08:52:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,
I've been follwowing this discussion for quite some time and now finally worked up the courage to participate in it myself! :)
What I've been meaning to ask, is it possible that Harry meets himself in Snapes mind for he certainly has some influence on Snape?
That might be quite interesting...

Besides, I'm really looking forward to reading the next chapter, you've done a magnificent job so far, Theo!
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  16:21:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome freesteps! I'm so glad that you're enjoying the story and it's always wonderful to have a new member of our discussion group. To answer your question, it would certainly be possible for Harry to meet himself in Snape's mind. In fact Dumbledore tells him something of the sort early on in their lessons. As a practical matter though, this rarely happens. Because Harry - the real, live, fully conscious Harry - is present, he suppresses or overlays the 'echo' of himself that normally would appear in Snape's mind. If he spent enough time and looked diligently enough, he could find this shadow-self, but he hasn't the time nor interest to do so.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  19:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps Harry has not realised that he has had such an influence? He's only just beginning to realise how important Snape is to him-- how Snape has touched his life. Realising that he may have touched Snape would be more difficult given Harry's general humility and youth/inexperience I would think.

Welcome freesteps!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

freesteps
Giddy

2 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  03:44:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thank you for your warm welcome!

You're right, there are probably more important things to discover in Snapes mind at the moment. I just thought that it might be interesting to recieve an impression of how Snape views Harry.
But I'm certain we'll get that anyway...
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  16:28:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Theeeeoooo! Is this a chapter week?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  20:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

Theeeeoooo! Is this a chapter week?

It's supposed to be. Unfortunately, Myf has been super busy and hasn't finished beta-ing chapter 24 yet, so we're on hold until she gets it back to me.

On the bright side, I'm working feverishly on chapter 25 which I hope to send off to Myf by early next week.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  22:39:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh well, that just means we have a little more material to read before "Order of the Phoenix" hits the cinema and Deathly Hallows hits the bookshelves.

Personally, I'm having a difficulty getting through the last two books again in anticipation of DH, so I'll not complain-- too much.

Your story is sooooo goooooood though (I'm in whine mode ). I'll just have to be patient.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  00:01:51  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Can I whine too? Well, I'll try not to. But I am looking forward to the next chapter. Guess this will give me a chance to re-read the first ones again.

I think I'm reading too many things at the same time--OP for the Leaky Lounge Reading Group, Oliver Twist, and the new book by Tracy Chevalier, Burning Bright. And very soon I need to start re-reading HBP, so I'm done before Deathly Hallows comes out.

So it's next week for the next chapter, do you think? I hope, I hope, I hope. (we need a finger crossing smiley, I just realized, or one that's begging.)

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  00:04:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're so cute and it is really wonderful encouragement to know that you are so enthusiastic about CS.

I think Ch25 is finally beginning to come together, btw. I've been writing and rewriting it since Saturday (I'm on my fourth separate draft!), but I think I've finally got the right scenes from each in the right order at last. At least I'm starting to get that tingling feeling which usually means I've got it right.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 04/19/2007 00:06:07
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  16:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the latest update. Myf sent ch24 back and I have edited it and sent it off for round 2 of beta-ing. There weren't any major problems to fix, so hopefully you'll see ch24 soon.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 04/19/2007 16:17:40
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  00:36:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And chapter 24 is DONE! It should be winging its way to your inboxes right now.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 04/20/2007 00:37:07
Go to Top of Page

Krabat
Giddy

Germany
40 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  03:54:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O.k., if you haven't read the new chapter yet, do not read my post. Major Spoiler ahead!

Yes, I knew it and I am so happy I was right this time. As I said before I did not like Ryan at all, but he turned out to be the good guy. So, Knight is the one. I really liked the parallel of her situation to that of Faye. That even that did not stop her shows how far Knight is gone. By the way, I really enjoyed that we got a glimpse of Snape's activities regarding his students. We saw in HPEW that a lot of his Slytherins turned to him for help, but we never got an impression of what he could actually do for them.

For Harry, we must sadly say, it's the same as ever. He makes up his mind about Snape based on some of his observations and then runs with that idea. I would be really sorry for Snape who should be deeply disappointed that after all this time Harry still does not trust him. Sadly, I think that Snape does not think so at all, it is just the behaviour he expects. "Do you happen to have any evidence of this or does my character simply speak for itself?" That line really sums it up nicely for almost all people that interact with Snape. I wonder how Harry will salvage that situation, since his behaviour towards Snape now should put him in a category with all the other order members save Dumbledore. On the other hand, Harry at least gave the impression he cares for Snape and obviously reminds Severus with his words about not throwing his life away of Lily (I guess). Yes, Harry should really try to find out more about the relationship between Snape and his mother. I think, it would lend him a new perspective. So, read the letters, Harry!

Edited by - Krabat on 04/20/2007 04:02:09
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  08:54:48  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theowyn

And chapter 24 is DONE! It should be winging its way to your inboxes right now.

Hooray! I am heading out to the airport in just a couple hours to go to a conference--and this will give me something good to read. I also have To Say Nothing of the Dog, which will be a fun reread, but having Chapter 24 will help keep my HP and HPCS addiction satisfied for a little while. I'll comment later.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  10:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krabat

O.k., if you haven't read the new chapter yet, do not read my post. Major Spoiler ahead!

Thanks for the warning, Krabat! I wasn't certain if there were posts on the new chapter yet.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  12:42:30  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Argh, I didn't think we were getting a new chapter, so I didn't check until after midnight--just the routine check of my email before going to bed. And there it was! I always like to re-read the previous chapter first, as it helps me remember where we were, so I did that, and then was way too sleepy.

I made myself not look at anything but the very first part of chapter 24, and then went to bed. So I had an enjoyable (and much wider awake) reading this morning with my tea and English muffin.

Major SPOILERS AHEAD

DON'T KEEP READING IF YOU HAVEN'T READ CHAPTER 24!!!!!

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED, ON PENALTY OF BEING ANNOYINGLY IRRITATED IF YOU FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS BEFORE YOU READ IT FOR YOURSELF!

I didn't really think Snape was guilty, but I'm glad to know for sure now. And I'm so pleased that I finally got a character right. I was especially sure it was Knight when Harry kept running off to her with his suspicions. If he thought that she was just going to owl the strands to Moody, then why didn't he do it himself? Oh, Harry--when will our boy ever learn.

I started to wonder if Knight was the one in Snape's mind, but wasn't it a "he"? Harry referred to the figure as a he, but I don't remember whether Severus did or not. Or was that Knight's brother--and she has taken up where he left off?

I loved the part with Lily--and when I re-read the previous chapter, it's now very clear (or at least it seems so to me), that the locket that Harry gave Ginny was a gift to Lily from Severus and that is why he reacted to it so strangely. First I thought it was just that he recognized it as Lily's.

And I loved the part with Harry and Draco--nice way of showing that Draco is afraid of something. So now, Harry really needs to go back to Draco to let him know that it wasn't Severus who tried to do him in, but Knight--right? That'll be an interesting conversation, as Draco isn't exactly on good terms with Severus either.

Well, at any rate, now Severus and Harry both have to do something to alert the rest of the Order that it was Knight doing the dirty deeds. Or is she going to get to them first and plant the evidence against Snape?

I also feel so sorry for Snape, that he has done so much for Harry and Harry still jumps to the conclusion that he's guilty of whatever is evil. Especially after what they went through the year before, and after the Healer's Gamble.

Thanks for the great chapter, Theo.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non

Edited by - Eeyore on 04/20/2007 12:46:11
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  17:47:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay! I'm worthy of spoiler warnings!!

I'm so glad you guys liked ch24. This is one of those chapters where things that have been set up previously come together and such chapters are always satisfying to write. I especially enjoyed being able to bring Faye and her brother back from HPEW, though unfortunately Thomas's story is a tragic one. If ever there was a young man who wound up in the wrong place at the wrong time, he qualifies: sort of the dark version of Cedric, in a way.

This is a watershed chapter for Harry. His biggest problem isn't so much that he doesn't trust Snape as that he doesn't realize this. After all, he doesn't think Snape is working for Voldemort anymore. But it hasn't occurred to him that there is more to trusting someone than figuring out which side they're on.

As for Snape, he expects no better from anyone, though if you plied him with enough Veriteserum, he might confess to being hurt. Short of that, however, he won't. He's been distrusted for so long by so many that he's become ennured to the pain. He isn't even aware of it most of the time.

I also received the following email which I think is worth sharing here in part...

I love that you chose to tackle this topic. I thought about this before, when I was looking at children growing up as soldiers in Liberia, or children in Israel and Palestine: where they learn that life is worthless, and people die every day. If Knight's brother was killed...well, it's understandable, that she reevaluated her learnt standards, and ended up putting a lower value on life. It's hard, but she needs help and treatment...

and my response...

I'm so glad that you enjoyed this chapter! War does horrible things to people. It brutalizes everyone involved, combatant and non-combatant alike, and this multi-faceted horror of war is something I wanted to explore, at least a little, in Chained Souls.

Knight is an extreme example of someone who has abandoned her moral principles to win at any cost, but everywhere we look we see the effects. Harry has already experienced the horror of killing, first hand. We glimpse the dehumanization of the enemy in the students' callous lack of sympathy for Faye Morgan. Then there's Dumbledore's anguish at having to send his loyal followers to their deaths. And always the question remians: What price victory? How far is too far to compromise one's soul for the greater good? Is there any limit at all when dealing with an evil such as Voldemort?

I don't have the answers and the ones that Harry and company ultimately come up with in CS may or may not appeal to all. But that's okay because war is a messy business and I'm not sure there always are 'right' answers. I'll just be happy if I can give my readers a morsel of food for thought.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 04/20/2007 17:54:12
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  20:49:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spoilers!

I'm with you Krabat! I love being right. It doesn't happen very often so I treasure the moment when it presents itself.

I loved Ron in this chapter. We didn't see much of him, but the characterisation was perfect.

Knight reminds me of Umbridge in a way. They both used their position and skill to achieve their own ends. The fact that they felt they had to circumvent all legal/official channels shows desperation and lack of faith in the Ministry in general.

So how do Harry and Snape get round the hair sample thing? Will Moody believe them-- well, Harry (we know he won't believe Snape)-- especially when his trusted colleague is the alternative? There's no evidence against Knight and she's tampered with the evidence Moody had. I guess we have to hope that Moody was too paranoid to believe she couldn't be the killer.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  02:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good news! I just sent chapter 25 off to Myf and will be starting work on chapter 26.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  10:45:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*snort* Couldn't help thinking of Professor Farnsworth (from Futurama)when you posted "good news". That's what he usually says when he's come up with some new way to kill his crew or debut another useless invention.

Also, I'm just realising that it has been far too long since I've read the last two HP books. Between what I've forgotten, and what went on in HPEW, I find myself confused-- that's a good thing, though. Firstly, it makes the books fresher the third time through than they normally would be. Secondly, it means that for me Theo's story line has blended well with JKR's.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.