Sigh. They grow up so fast...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  02:33:02  Show Profile Send diricawl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Emma Watson enjoying the fruits of celebrity:

It's just revolting isn't it? I mean seriously, Corona?

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 08/08/2006 04:30:56

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  05:36:22  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ah, these shots have come up again. There's lime in it and you have to drink it before it gets warm.
Go to Top of Page

Wicked
Addled

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  07:57:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen quite a few pictures of her with a beer in her hand. Technically tho, she's only holding the drink, no shots of her actually drinking the drink.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  10:57:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, makes me feel all nostalgic...

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  12:00:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's revolting - Corona should only be drunk on very hot days, outside. If the girl's going to drink, she should learn to do it properly.. there are no standards in this world any more. It's a disgrace.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  14:20:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And with FOOD, no less! She's a TEENAGER! Doesn't she know that eating is cheating?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  18:11:56  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How old is she now? I was given wine from such a young age I couldn't care less about underage drinking.

I don't mind a Corona or three in the middle of summer.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  18:27:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I care about under-age drinking to the extent that I don't think it's safe to give teens a drivers license if they can't be counted on to be sober when driving. I think it takes bit of time and .. wince... age before you can be sure you know when you are or are not alcohol-impaired and really the only way not to be impaired at all is not to drink! Age is no guarantee of wisdom, of course - plenty of old people end up DUI but I think teens in particular have enough to figure out without adding that one on. I'd like to give them a fighting chance to grow older... and of course I also think of the innocent folks driving with them and against them. But I started drinking at.. 14 or 16 maybe? So I can't act terribly shocked either.

She's 16 now. But Perhaps those pictures were taken last year? Somehow she looks slightly less anorexic than usual. Maybe it's the carbs from the beer.

Go to Top of Page

Wicked
Addled

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  19:11:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say, the parent in me worries a little, since I have seen other pictures of her drinking, or I should say, holding a beer bottle. It's not like child stars always turn out to be such well adjusted people.

I'll search for those other pics.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Wicked
Addled

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  19:15:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/7255197.html prom pictures...also has a pic of the actress that plays Ginny.

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/5775837.html inclues the pics above and a few others.

http://bebopics.livejournal.com/ this place has tons of pictures, from school and other stuff, not only drinking photos.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non

Edited by - Wicked on 08/08/2006 19:18:43
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  00:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wicked, you're undoubtably right - I would certainly hate to see Emma as the next Lindsey Lohan. But it's a much bigger issue than drinking - it's a matter of whether they're living a semi-normal life. Most child stars don't. Somehow, it seems like Dan's parents have managed to keep him on a fairly even keel through all these films and I don't know how. Emma seems much more likely to be engulfed by the teen-stardom abyss.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  01:53:55  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

I care about under-age drinking to the extent that I don't think it's safe to give teens a drivers license if they can't be counted on to be sober when driving.

Good point. But just saying 'Don't drink until you're 21, mmmkay!' probably isn't going to cut it. I worry more about giving licences to 16-year-olds. Seems terribly young to me.

We get to start drinking and driving (hopefully not simultaneously) at age 18. But for the first 3 years of your licence you are under strict restrictions: no alcohol AT ALL for 3 years - one iota of it in your system and you lose your licence. No middle ground. I think that's the right way to go.

By the time you're 21, you're more used to drinking and know how much alcohol you can tolerate. People then start out having one drink then driving and working out their tolerance. Of course, it's not a perfect system - but I would interested to see the drink/driving stats from Australia and the US as a comparison, though.

Here is some information (none of it direct, though):
- numbers of 15-24 year old drivers killed per 100,000 of population (data are from the International Road Traffic and Accident Database maintained by the OECD): Australia, 18.0; Canada,18.7; Sweden, 11.5; the United Kingdom, 11.3; and the United States, 27.2.
- maximum allowable BACs (blood alcohol concentration, above which you are charged with driving while intoxicated): Australia, .05; Canada, .08 at the Federal level, but .05 now in many provinces; Sweden, .02; the United Kingdom, .08, and the United States, .08 (26 states; .10 in others).

Food for thought...

Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  02:20:50  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hmm... is the UK's lower because driving is so expensive? Public transport systems used more?
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  02:34:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, some of it also depends upon where you live - not just the country, but the location in the country. I had friends who grew up on farms and they were driving heavy machinery (illegally, of course) around fields when they were 10 or 11. When the road is straight and flat and there's nothing but fields and trees around and there's no one on the road that you can't see a mile off, driving is not very difficult. On the other hand, if you live in a New York City driving is so dangerous and difficult you might not even want to learn to drive! But in NYC you can get everywhere via subway and bus. I'd bet the teen deaths per 100,000 population would probably be proportionally higher in areas where a greater proportion of the teens drive daily in heavy or moderate traffic - busy suburbs and sprawling cities.

I grew up in that kind of an area - you got a driver's license at 16 and never looked back! Everything was too far to walk and public transportation was minimal - it would have taken me 4 hours to go from my house to my best friend's house by bus, as opposed to a tidy 15 minutes by car. It probably wasn't safe, we had no restrictions at all and I know several friends who had accidents after they got their licenses but none from alcohol - one was adjusting the radio and smacked into another car; one was just distracted by friends and went through a red light, getting broadsided in the process. Myself, I hit an old lady because the morning fog on my windshield was too thick to see through and I didn't know how to clear it. I pulled over - and ended up with an elderly pedestrian sitting on my fender. Inexperience itself is a hazard.

They now have some restrictions on younger drivers here - they need to have adults with them, can't have children riding along.. not sure what else but it's been a really long time since I've had to care. I guess I'll have to learn the new rules in about.. 6 years when my oldest daughter is 16! NOT looking forward to it.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  06:05:00  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

You know, some of it also depends upon where you live - not just the country, but the location in the country.

Oh, absolutely. I'm guessing that both Australia and the US rate higher up on road fatalities because of the relative urbanisation of the UK.

My friend grew up in the country, and in the group of her younger brother's friends (aged now about 20) 3 have died on the road. In a tiny community. Imagine how devastating! And none were due to alcohol.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  11:41:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My state just enacted stricter driving laws. You can get your permit at 16, but not your full license until 18. It's a new law and my nephew, who is almost 14 hates it. I think they should have taken it a step further and made it 18 for a permit. I just heard on the radio the other day that traffic accidents is the #1 cause of death of children under 21 in the U.S.

On the other hand I can see AMC's point. My dad grew up on his grandpap's farm and was driving by age 12, my brother-in-law learned to drive young also growing up on a farm and it's a really needed skill, but it's also a totally different type of driving.

As for drinking, it was never forbidden in my house. If my parents had wine with special meals we were always allowed to have a little bit, so it was never taboo. And neither my sister nor I grew up to be drinkers. I'll have wine with my meal or a few mixed drinks occassionally, but I never drive and usually not to excess. I just don't like the feeling of being drunk. That loss of control is horrible. That's another reason I don't do drugs.

As for Emma, I don't like to admit this on an HP forum, but I don't care for her portrayal of Hermione after CoS. She just doesn't give a Hermione vibe to me. I can see both Rupert, and Dan especially, having serious careers in their future, but Emma seems like just another teen actress and can be lumped in with all the other teeage actresses. However I would like her to finish the series for the continuity aspect. But she's just not Hermione.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 08/09/2006 11:50:17
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  18:16:02  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree with Jo 100% on Miss Watson. Sorry love!

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  18:48:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I don't see Rupert having much of a career, unless Spielberg gets him that Tintin gig. Dan already had a career, as did Tom Felton. Emma has already become such a celebrity in her own right that it hardly matters what she does. When was the last time Charlotte Church released a single you'd heard of? And yet she's rolling in it. Why? Because she's cute and she's curvy and she likes to party, which means the paparazzi are getting lots of shots of her in vulnurable conditions as she teeters out of nightclubs at 3AM, and she gets to appear on magazine covers. J-Lo hasn't had a hit song or a hit movie in years, but her tabloid presence remains as strong as ever.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  20:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see Rupert more in comedic roles. Those who work with him always talk about how great is comedic timing is. Who knows, he might not want to even act after his HP gig. As for Emma, I just don't feel she really knows how to channel Hermione, like Dan gets into Harry. She says all the right lines and on the surface is okay, but at the end of the day she's just not Hermione. I just don't know how to explain it.

It's true that Emma will probably be famous, at least in the U.K., for a long time to come. You don't always need talent to be a celebrity. As for Charlotte Church, she's not big in the U.S. and doesn't warrant the attention in our tabloids that Britney Spears or Lindsay Lohan get. We do know who she is, but she's just not a major celebrity here.

Go to Top of Page

SweetPea
Addled

Canada
184 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  01:47:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
As for Emma, I don't like to admit this on an HP forum, but I don't care for her portrayal of Hermione after CoS. She just doesn't give a Hermione vibe to me. I can see both Rupert, and Dan especially, having serious careers in their future, but Emma seems like just another teen actress and can be lumped in with all the other teeage actresses. However I would like her to finish the series for the continuity aspect. But she's just not Hermione.

I agree. In GoF the way she spoke drove me crazy, with the crying and the spitting the words out. *shudders*

As for the Corona, any other beer should be drunk out of a glass. Ladies drink out of glasses.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  02:06:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn! One more ladylike attribute I missed out on! I need to start this life all over again.

(I'm even tougher than you Jo, I don't think any of them can act very well but I don't care. As long as they have moving portraits, I'll be seeing the films... and I like the continuity of having the same young actors age with the progressing films. I just wish Richard Harris hadn't died as I totally hate Michael Gambon as Dumbledore.)

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  06:23:05  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SweetPea
As for the Corona, any other beer should be drunk out of a glass. Ladies drink out of glasses.

*hides her beer bottle*

Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  07:28:05  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Only the one, Myf? I think in your drunken state you've missed the other half-dozen scattered about your person.
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  08:40:42  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have had ONE beer tonight, Ben, when I got home late from work.

What a denegerate I am.

Go to Top of Page

Lesley
Giddy

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  10:06:39  Show Profile  Visit Lesley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Re: drinking discussion

Alright, first of all, I'm not saying that drinking is oh-so-cool or anything.

But, just for the record:

I had my first beer at 14 or 15. The first time I left a party all tipsy was my classmates 15th birthday. The first time I had way too much and threw up because of it was at 17.

Now I'm 24. I've never driven drunk. In fact I wouldn't touch a steering wheel after drinking anything with alcohol in it. I hardly ever get tipsy anmore, let alone drunk. I guess I just experienced all I wanted to during high school and university.

All in all, I bet - if you really wanted to - you could find a lot of pictures of me on parties with a bottle of beer (or more likely a glass of barcardi coke) in my hand, all around the age of 16.

Still I haven't turned into "another Lindsay Lohan". Okay, also I'm not famous, but...you get the point. ;)

I think Emma is a smart girl and if her parents keep an eye on her, I doubt that her drinking a beer now and then should be anything worth to discuss.

You said "It's time to do some bleeding...time to cry the past away."
~ Richard Ashcroft
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  16:51:06  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Myf: I have had ONE beer tonight, Ben, when I got home late from work.
Stop ruining my amusing visuals with facts!

quote:
Lesley: I doubt that her drinking a beer now and then should be anything worth to discuss.
... as this thread proves.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  17:49:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never liked beer of any kind. I've tried to like it, but much like coffee, I can't get used to the taste. I've had two beers in my fridge for over a year that now need thrown out. That's how much I drink the stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  21:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A sixteen year old posing with a beer while partying with friends? What a shocker. And I don't think the Lindsay Lohan comparisons are justifiable because Lindsay partied in LA with other celebrities for the paparazzi. Emma partied in private with her friends. It seems to me that she is living the life of a normal teenager, it's just that when pictures of normal teenagers end up online it's on facebook or myspace for their friends to see instead of on news sites for the whole world to see.

And with regards to drunk driving:
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

I care about under-age drinking to the extent that I don't think it's safe to give teens a drivers license if they can't be counted on to be sober when driving. I think it takes bit of time and .. wince... age before you can be sure you know when you are or are not alcohol-impaired.

I don't agree that age is needed before you know when you're drunk or not. I do agree with time, but not age because people start drinking at different ages and some people drink a lot from the get-go and some people drink once every few months, so learing your limit is different for different people.

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - Cour_Delafleur on 11/13/2006 23:36:45
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  12:29:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True, Cour, but people don't always show the best judgment when they have been drinking. Yes, most accidents caused by alcohol impared drivers involve adults and they are tragic, but not as heartrending as to hear that teenagers have had their lives cut short because of a really bad choice.

I knew a girl in high school-- beautiful, intelligent, well liked (a cheerleader), truly nice. She was dating a boy a year ahead of her. They were headed to his prom and did all the usual party stops ahead of time, no big deal. He was driving. He took a curve way too fast in the rain and dark. They went airborn. The girl was scared and hid or was thrown under the dash. He has to live with her death for the rest of his life. Freshman year of college my boyfriend's roommate was coming back from a football game (he was in the band) with a group and was in an accident on I-5. Alcohol and speed were the reason they crashed and the reason he and four other people died.

The point is, that judgment is not always at its best when teens are involved. Add alcohol and group mentality and it nearly vanishes. The girl's boyfriend was a regular drinker, but he made a string of really bad choices and they both paid for it. The roommate was probably not sober and had no clue that the student driving shouldn't have been.

I agree with you about the photos. No one would care if she weren't well known and it would be no big dea. From the pictures we have no idea how much she has had to drink, that it is a regular occurrence, or that she has ever driven after drinking.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.