Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 9

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  14:44:56  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by she-dog

OK, I have a question for the guys. maybe for the women as well, but mostly for the guys: would you rather own a book that's never been read before, or one that has been read many times and chooses you knowing you're the best?

Although it doesn't sound entirely complimentary, it sounds like the latter has dog-eared pages. (Hey, can we call tattoos "notes in the margins"?)

Personally, it doesn't matter to me as the likelyhood of either choosing me seems pretty slim. Too old for the former and too boring for the latter. Looks like I'm settling in the middle of the road.

I think that it'd more be a question of why they were the way they were. A virgin copy, fresh off the shelf... why had it not been read before? Is there something wrong with it? Reading is a powerful thing that creates many emotions, so would this book stop at just one reader and why is that person me? Same goes for the dog-eared book; if reading is the primary motivator then why stop at me?

No doubt I have muchos reading skills, but there has to be more to it than that. Ability to read is always necessary, but as Diri said, other qualities of both book and reader need to be put in the acknowledgements.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  15:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't want a book that's been read by everyone in the library. Previous reading experience, which is often can be a bonus and at my age a given, doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't want a book that's been in so many different hands that it can't remember who has read it. In my experience, I find that those types of books are not reliable and can't be trusted.

As for purchasing, I would have more problem with political beliefs than reading experience. I can't see myself reading right-wing conservative material, and I don't think that type of book would appreciate my left-leaning liberalism. I have more of a problem with politics than religion. I could imagine purchasing a book of a different religion or an athiest, but I could not purchase a book with a vastly different political philosophy.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  18:01:52  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Re; editing sequels, I don't know much about the arguments for why it should be done, but I'd look into it. I'd definitely err on the 'no edit' side, though. I read a book (as in, a papery thing with words on it) recently where a little book was being edited and there was an accident, which...er (struggling with metaphor here) effectively removed all the text, not just the forward, so the authors decided to raise it as a reader, not a book. A terrible true story. I think the less messing around with forwards and stuff, the better.

As for prior reading experience - I wouldn't really want a fresh new edition, but limited reading experience is fine. Someone who is picked up and browsed by a different reader every weekend wouldn't be good, but someone who's had a few meaningful reading partners in their life would be fine. Gives them some know-how, I suppose.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  11:27:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrBen

Frickin' open the cover and find if the blurb has anything written on it about you, U8. This book is not going to tell you anything out its contents unless you express an interest in reading it.

Oh, I have alreaydy done that but the book didn't shpw any interest whatsoever. When I suggested to take it from the shelf to flip through the pages, it started to make excuses. So I lost interest and started browsing the library for other books and suddenly the book is back again and acts as if it doesn't want me to read other books.

Maybe I should go for DVD's instead of books...

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  11:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ignore him, Uni. It might think that if you find another book to read that it will take time off of him, and is therefore jealous. But at the same time, really doesn't want to be read. That's sometimes a problem with friendly books. I'd say try to browse the book section when he isn't around and don't inform him of anything if you do find reading material. If the book's oblivious then it can't show any jealousy.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  14:02:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uh, what's a DVD?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  06:43:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn, I'm so on the way to being in love that it makes my skin crawl.

Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  07:46:35  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh, ours too. :P

Damn you. :)
Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  03:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the Israeli army (I don't know how it is in other armies) the highest profile you can have is 97. There's a joke about it - how come it's 97 and not a round 100, and the answer is that you lose 3 points for the edited forward.

Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?
Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  13:14:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee

Uh, what's a DVD?

*snorts*

Maybe it's short term flashier versions of books, that you pay money to rent for a few hours of fast and furious reading
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  13:50:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...or sometimes a DVD is just a DVD

quote:
a few hours of fast and furious reading

Is this possible? Wouldn't the fast and furious part wear you out after awhile? I mean, how realistic is it to keep up the pace into the third hour. Of course, it would be nice to try.

Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  22:27:47  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Even racing drivers make a pitstop. Sure theirs is about 10 seconds, but there's no reason that you can't stop for a drink for 20 minutes between act 1, 2 and 3.
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  23:08:29  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, you definitely need light and shade in a reading experience...

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  00:06:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe a DVD is entertainment similar to a book but you don't have to think about it at all and you can fast-forward over the boring parts...

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  14:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... and it is much easier to handle than a book. You don't have to imagine anything about the plot, the locations or the characters - what you see is what you get.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  00:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was at Walmart the other day and noticed at the end of the toothpaste aisle (and I don't know why they're there) they have, er..page protectors (would they be called?) that have a vibrating ring at the top. Now I know I'm practically illiterate these days, but I remember enough to know the varieties and I don't remember them vibrating. Is this new? I hope nobody looking at me because I had a dumbfounded expression on my face while staring at the box.

Funny story with page protectors (or whatever we're calling them). When I used to be a graduate assistant in college my boss got a big package of them to hand out free to students. So we got huge bowl and piled it full and put it in the center of the table. Lovely centerpiece it made. Every guy that came in got big eyes like Christmas had come early and would grab a handful, read the packaging, then throw them right back into the bowl like something bit them. Turns out they were all small size. So we were stuck with this bowl full of them. I've learned that there are some free things on campus guys won't take. Except my one friend. He said he wasn't ashamed for taking them.

Edited by - Jokelly on 09/09/2006 00:04:46
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  22:05:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo, that is a really funny story - I've read it twice now and I still laugh.

Hey She-Dog! Have you given up reading??? If you need something else to do, please go to Diagon Alley and tell Martje you're around - she's looking for you.

http://www.adriana.proboards19.com/index.cgi
(under the Yo-Yo topic)

Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  04:44:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooh, Martje! I've missed her, thanks!
I'm still reading happily, and it's become a pretty serious thing, but I was getting pretty bored with myself coming over here to keep saying how good things are

Actually I was talking to some friends the other day about reading book that looks like you - does that make sense, to be interested in books that look like you? To the extreme, like in the second Austin Powers when they were reading themselves from twenty years ago.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  05:21:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SheDog, when Bulgaria becomes an EU member in 2007 and you finally get your key out of Israel, will your book be coming with you?

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  06:18:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting question. I do hope things turn out that way. I hope I find a good job in Europe, and I hope he will want to go with me, and I hope he finds a job too. I think he should be entitled to an EU citizenship as well, because his mother is from Switzerland ... we'll see. The main thing it would mean is that British men have wasted all that money putting stronger locks on their door since I issued my warning.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  13:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is Switzerland part of the EU? I thought they decided to stay out of it, as usual.

Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  13:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, it's not part of the EU. And I don't think it will become a EU member any time soon.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  18:30:24  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
All of this talk about the EU is unbecoming on this thread. It's about reading, people!

*grin*

It's difficult to get any reading in at all when the book is at work for 17 hours a day. :(

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  22:01:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night I was discussing a potential job listing that described itself as "Professional Services", which made my book laugh as it sounds like a book-rental euphemism ... and I suddenly remembered a movie we saw ages ago entitled "Personal Services" and shrieked - Julie Walters! Mrs. Weasley was a lady of the night! Book looked blank but yes.. here it is:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093727/

Wonderful movie, worth seeing.

Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  06:28:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh wow, I just assumed about Switzerland. I guess the poor fool will have to marry me now

Speaking of extreamly readable actresses (and I know we weren't but let's) - Julie Andrews. Damn.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  10:05:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you appreciative of older books, She-Dog? You seem to refer to them over the freshly published variety.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  04:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess they don't write them like they used to :)

Edited by - she-dog on 10/09/2006 04:59:57
Go to Top of Page

Emmmma
Barmy

293 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  22:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I told a friend about this thread and this is the link she sent me:

http://greatreadinthepark.com/

Massive corruption in NYC.

Formerly Garside! ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  23:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, I bet there is lots of reading in that park, any way you look at it.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  06:37:14  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
For future reference: if you're planning some reading later in the evening, tell your book to be cautious when chopping fresh chilis. Maybe wear gloves.

Because, you know, OW.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.