Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 9

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  00:03:28  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Myf: Ben, do you have something to contribute to this thread?
quote:
AMC: Ben...?
My silence is not an indication that I'm only coming up for air after continuous reading. Dust jackets have not been cast aside, nose not between the pages. I have not been sucked deep inside a book. The use of the English language has not descended to gutteral grunts and moans. You can all stop that kind of speculation. I have merely left my bookmark inside the opening chapter, just past the prologue.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  01:46:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww. How sweet, beginnings are so much fun.

I know part of the problem with my lack of reading. I can attract reading material, just not on my reading level. I look younger than what I am so people assume I'm on an 18 or 19 year old reading level. Even in grad school, it would be the freshman that approached me. And while I've had friends snicker about what fun reading an 18 year old edition could be, I'm just beyond that phase now.

I once had my astrological chart done and was told I would purchase a much older edition than me. I think she got it wrong.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 08/06/2006 01:48:44
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  20:06:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow - one of Ben's posts was just described as "sweet". I have faith in the world again... maybe Hell froze over.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  21:36:01  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think perhaps the latter, AMC!

Just past the prologue... I am spending altogether too much time trying to translate that into RL reference points. I am going to stop thinking about it now.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Emmmma
Barmy

293 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  22:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol, yes, sometimes it's better not to try to figure it out too closely. I myself decided not to try to guess about the bookmark.

Hey, I love this smilie:

Formerly Garside! ;-)
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  21:39:02  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's official. I'm still just penning entries in my diary.
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  22:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still waiting for just the right time to see if the workbook has the same feelings for me that I do for him. Not sure how to go about it though.
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  23:42:55  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ah, the blurb is still blurry? Perhaps you need the glasses that only a mutual friend can provide.
Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  19:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*snorts* @ Ben. You sound like an oracle

I'd say just ask him outright at some point JKR. That usually advances the situation along quickly. But...then there's always a chance the answer's no. Or..worse...it could be a mixed yes/no. Wanting to read a book at work is always confusing. Because it could end up badly. Luckily I just get to look at the pretty covers at work..I don't have to worry about reading them. It's much less stressful that way

So...last night was really perfect for outdoor reading...a weekend night..a breeze...gentle noises of crickets and frogs...a beautiful moon...so...anyway..yep ..Then after reading I actually saw a shooting star. As in right after. I thought it was some ridiculoulsy insanely perfect wonderful sign meant just for my book and I...But then I got home and realized it was an actual meteor shower..So nothing that unusual. It was still fun.
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  22:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty cool, Tsuki.

Thanks guys. I think the workbook does have feelings for me, but I'm not too sure. I'm planning on finding out soon.
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  23:00:23  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As ever, I am filled with pearls of book-reading wisdom... when it comes to other people.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  23:15:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JKRiS, do your shifts ever end at the same time? Casually ask the workbook if it wants a coffee.

I just got back from the ballgame and there were so many books on display for admiring. We sat on the left field line which gave a perfect view of the books' back covers. Give me a book about baseball and I turn to mush. I'm not like that with books from any other sport. I watch football sometimes, but reading football books doesn't interest me. But baseball is a different story.

Tsuki, going into the house tonight I was looking up at the sky and thinking how romantic it looked. I feel sorry for people who live in urban areas and don't get to see a star-strewn sky all the time, like I get to do. Perfect night for cuddling under a blanket with a good book. If only I had a good book.

Edited by - Jokelly on 08/13/2006 23:19:12
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  06:01:24  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Tsuki, that sounds lovely. I am desperate for some nice weather.

My book and I are going to NZ at New Years - perhaps that'll be a good opportunity for someone wilderness reading. Mmm.

JKR - keep us posted!

Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  02:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, the horrible horror is over, now I just WANT TO READDDDD

Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?
Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  09:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by she-dog

OK, the horrible horror is over, now I just WANT TO READDDDD

*snorts*

Yes...and unlike me who just had 'shooting stars' the other night. You guys had the potential for actual bombs bursting overhead whilst reading. Hopefully things will be nice and quiet and peaceful from now on.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  11:34:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poor shedog won't be able to, uhm...see , once her book gets back from all the reading she'll be doing.

I haven't even been dreaming about reading, lately. I used to have lovely dreams about reading interesting books, and now my dreams have no books present in them. Maybe I have turned illiterate after all.

Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  14:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.alastore.ala.org/SiteSolution.taf?_sn=catalog&_pn=product_detail&_op=2131

I so want this poster!!!

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  15:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LoL! Awww, come on Uni, I know you'd really rather have the Weird Al Yankovick poster more.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  17:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn8

http://www.alastore.ala.org/SiteSolution.taf?_sn=catalog&_pn=product_detail&_op=2131

I so want this poster!!!

I can see how it would inspire people to read.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  20:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently found out an old family friend, who is the same age as me, took a 56 year old edition out on loan for awhile when we were 22. Now, I have nothing against age differences, but that is too much. Her book after that was in his late 30s/early 40s. That I knew, but I had no idea about the 56 year old. She always did like to have books well above her reading level, even when we were teenagers.

Go to Top of Page

SweetPea
Addled

Canada
184 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  01:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Age differences don't bother me. I'm a sequal from a 22 year age difference, lol!

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  01:48:04  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I already whinged about this on my LJ, but I am (genially) annoyed with my book - the other night, while browsing, it left an inkstain on my neck. How embarrassing! And a colleague at the research conference I've been at said 'Not to be personal or anything, but... reading life going OK, is it?' I nearly died.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  02:29:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we're going to have to be careful not to mix metaphors. "Ink" already has an assigned meaning and I'm pretty sure it wasn't the one you intended.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  02:34:43  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is there some sort of glossary I can consult? I must have missed the assignation of meaning.

Maybe I can refer to it as a date stamp.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  02:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That works!

and just so you know, here is when SheDog introduced the concept of ink:

quote:
Originally posted by she-dog

OK, I have a little rant. My friend just sent me a link to an article, about some company that is working on a pill that would change the taste of ........ ink, to a fresh and lovely apple flavour.

Which of course leads me to my usual rant against this metrosexual (r@p, which is really a movement against the human male, just like the fashion industry has damaged the human female. This will not stand! People should taste like people, apples like apples, reading should smell like paper and taste like ink, this is the reality of the biosphere we live in!

[dead][dead][dead]

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  20:17:39  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh, yeah, I forgot about that! No, I must reiterate that I haven't spent the last few days covering up ink on my neck (ew). Just a little date stamp. Mostly gone now. He thinks it's completely hilarious (but mostly because I pretended to get livid. I have realised that the more angry I get, the more amused the book it. This means that whenever we get around to having a proper fight, it is not going to go well.).

I saw Team America: World Police last night. The puppet reading scenes in that were hilarious.

Go to Top of Page

Emmmma
Barmy

293 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  22:05:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

No, I must reiterate that I haven't spent the last few days covering up ink on my neck (ew).

oh man, I almost spilled my drink... I love this thread.

Formerly Garside! ;-)
Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  06:21:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mmmmm, I'm having a great time. I took the two days after the weekend off from work, so I can read and catch up on sleep and what's left of the beach season....

It's different though, since the book came back. It's been a lot gentler, and I think it's moving in the direction of a lot more commitment.
I'm pretty scared, but I think I'd like that...

Damn war.

Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?
Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  12:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Observation - when you're writing in your diary and you're using the events of last night as inspiation, instead of some imaginary events, you know that something's very right in your literary life. Yes, yes indeed.

Man, I can't believe I missed the Rickman "read" poster until now.

Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  14:29:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

LoL! Awww, come on Uni, I know you'd really rather have the Weird Al Yankovick poster more.

You've got me there!

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.