Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 9

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  10:37:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both genders keep diaries. And I saw a documentary that said that children from a very young age do a little scribbling. But officially, for me it was relatively late, in my twenties, when I wasn't too interested in reading the book I had anymore.
These days it's just a hobby

Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  10:53:40  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just a hobby, 'eh? So you haven't taken the leap into professional diary writing then? I hear it's all the rage on the internet.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  11:31:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shedog, that's sort of surprising...your twenties? I would have guessed earlier.

Tsuki's right, it seems much more accepted for boys to keep diaries than girls, at least that I've noticed in your teenage years. Maybe boys are just more open, but girls usually deny ever keeping diaries. However, shows like Sex and the City have made certain topics less taboo than they once were. One memorable episode was where one of the girls got a new fancy pen and it was so enjoyable writing in her diary she didn't feel like reading books anymore. Shows are now openly talking about diaries and the accessories that go along with keeping them.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  13:15:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still think even though there's more room to be open about keeping a diary..that a large majority of girls/women won't admit to it even if they do.

quote:
Originally posted by MrBen
So you haven't taken the leap into professional diary writing then? I hear it's all the rage on the internet.

Ben, are you downloading books on line?

I still like to keep a diary even though I read constantly. Or...sometimes it's even fun to be keeping notes in my diary, whilst I'm reading a book. Or at least while I'm flipping through the pages.

20's Now I definitely think I shouldn't reveal when I started keeping a diary. Maybe I should state it in Hogwarts terms How old was when she started Hogwarts?
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  19:00:27  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Ben, are you downloading books on line?
"Books" is giving them too much credit. They're more... glossy magazines. I've written about them in my diary, but the entries are pure pulp and I always cross them out.
Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  16:05:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you like to read only in bed, or do you sometimes go outdoors or in other places of the house?
I used to have a book when I was young, and we didn't have any private place to read in, and we got walked in on quite a few times all over town. So now I just like to keep it indoors, preferably in bed, where you have all the room you need and don't have to battle gravity too much.

Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?
Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  16:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrBen

Just a hobby, 'eh? So you haven't taken the leap into professional diary writing then? I hear it's all the rage on the internet.

HA! No, I get my money for other pointless activities.

Hey, icon:

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  19:32:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say, I am a habitual diarist. I have been trying to cut down, as becoming too immersed in the private world of self-writing can be unhealthy, but my current situation with my masters thesis has made that unlikely. Apparently in a few weeks San Francisco is going to host a mass "Diary-writing-a-thon" to raise awareness of literary health. Noble cause, I'm sure you'll agree.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  20:52:23  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
diricawl: Apparently in a few weeks San Francisco is going to host a mass "Diary-writing-a-thon" to raise awareness of literary health.
Tell me, does this Diary Write-a-thon provide appropriate settings for writer output, or is it kinda ad-hoc and in public? I'm not sure I could work so well in public, and I'm not even sure I'd enjoy it.

quote:
She-Dog: Do you like to read only in bed, or do you sometimes go outdoors or in other places of the house?
Oh, other places rock. It's just that afterwards there's not really the chance to appreciate the reading afterglow, so quickly does the dust jacket go back on. That's what happens when you read on the forbidden third floor.
Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  21:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*snort*

well..you don't always have to remove the whole 'dust jacket'. Just accomidate a bit. But yeah...having to finish a chapter in haste for fear of being interrupted is a drawback. Although reading outside has its benefits too.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  00:26:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diricawl

Apparently in a few weeks San Francisco is going to host a mass "Diary-writing-a-thon" to raise awareness of literary health. Noble cause, I'm sure you'll agree.

Only in San Francisco are they open enough to promote this. Can you imagine proposing something like this in Utah?

As for reading in alternative settings, the beach is always mentioned by people but I think it would be very uncomfortable removing sand from between all those pages. Other places outside might not be as bad. I was just outside and the stars were all shining brightly and it would be just a beautiful place to take a blanket and read by starlight.

I was real-life reading (not Stephen Fry reading, which I'm sadly lacking reading material) a book the other day about a woman who loved public reading. Her book had so much anxiety about being caught that it couldn't keep from closing its pages on her, much to her frustration.

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/24/2006 00:28:26
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  01:03:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, as always I love this thread.

It's nice to read outdoors, but I prefer reading privately regardless - then you can read out loud if you want and you can take your time. I don't like being rushed. A quick read is a fun read but sometimes - hmm, how do I put this? You don't really get the full content of what you read. There are certainly pages turning but it's not as personally engrossing or fufilling as when you can really get into the book.

I think it's mostly the love of risk-taking that makes reading in public a big thrill for some people. Like bungee-jumping or extreme-skiing, it takes a certain personality.

I think Diary writing/reading is a must. It saves normal, healthy people from settling on the wrong book - I mean everyone needs reading material! But if a decent book simply isn't to be found, you shouldn't have to settle for picking up pulp fiction every night just to have something to read. Besides, reading the wrong kinds of books can be hazardous to your health and self-esteem.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  02:23:52  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
AMC: A quick read is a fun read but sometimes - hmm, how do I put this? You don't really get the full content of what you read.
Some terms that spring to mind: denoument and climax. :)

Edited by - MrBen on 07/24/2006 02:24:15
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  16:49:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many other HP forums would allow us to talk like this about reading? Isn't HPG great.

Do you think the canopy beds in the Hogwarts dorms would promote diary keeping? Usually in places like that I'd think you were devoid of privacy, but with those big heavy drapes you could block out a whole lot of stuff.

Ben, your avatar of Filch is uncomfortable to look at when looking at this thread. Not what you want to look at when talking about reading.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  16:52:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I doubt it. Judging by how archaic everything else in the HP Universe is, I think they probably have old-fashioned beds with really bouncy bedsprings.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  17:17:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But the older students would have the ability to do silencing spells.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  17:58:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure I remember someone pointing out a bit in .. CoS? Where Harry does a little Diary reading... I missed it when I read it the first time. Something about thinking about Cho and being glad Ron wasn't awake. I'm at work so I can't find the exact passage - no, I don't carry my HP books with me - I'll look for it tonight.

Bulging Eyed Filch + Book reading topic = major Ick! Thanks for pointing that out, Jo.

Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  21:39:35  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Was Cho even around in CoS? I forget of course. :)
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  22:31:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was GoF, Harry was imagining himself as the Triwizard Champion, and Cho was smiling at him.

Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  06:51:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly
Do you think the canopy beds in the Hogwarts dorms would promote diary keeping? Usually in places like that I'd think you were devoid of privacy, but with those big heavy drapes you could block out a whole lot of stuff.

Hence the invention of the "muffliato" spell.

Edited by - she-dog on 07/26/2006 08:38:01
Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  19:18:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly
Other places outside might not be as bad. I was just outside and the stars were all shining brightly and it would be just a beautiful place to take a blanket and read by starlight.

heh!.. know..It was a beautiful night for reading where I was too the other night. My book was in the car seat next to me. And I was in the car with music blaring, and the windows down so the breeze was blowing in the car...It would have been very nice to pull over and do a little reading. But..time didn't allow

I agree with sand though. You have to be careful with outdoor reading in general. Usually I'm so excited to grab my book and start reading I don't look where I'm about to sit. One time after I'd finished reading I stood up and realized I'd been laying and reading on a spider's nest. There were zillions of baby spiders everywhere. Freaked me out the whole rest of the day

I love the beds at Hogwarts. Heck I love all of Hogwarts. I can imaging endless places to read..Or even just flip through a few pages

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/TsukiKeta/1631646.gif
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  22:00:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tsuki, you must use that as your new avatar. That's so cute. I'd loooove to have a bed like that, especially on a winter night. It's all enclosed and cozy. I think my love of enclosed spaces stems from my years sleeping on the bottom bunk when I was younger. My sister got the top. But I loved the safe feeling of the bottom bunk. Plus, my parents were afraid I'd fall out of bed because of my inability to remain still in sleep.

I've rambled off topic, but you can do some nice private reading in those small, cozy spaces.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  12:18:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's too hot to even think about reading or diary keeping. Right now my fantasy is to lay in a tub full of ice cold water. This week of 100 degree temperatures and high humidity has fried my brain. The thought of anything to do with reading in this muggy weather brings on an "Eww" reaction.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  12:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have hope, Jo! It's getting a little cooler in Ohio today, only in the mid-80s. That's ten degrees cooler than yesterday. Hopefully that means you should get a small break in a day or two, and you can get back to discussing the subject at hand.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  15:57:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope it's coming, Pixie. I had to go to the laudromat and the bank's thermometer read 100F. It was supposed to cool down today, but it didn't. At this point, 85F sounds heavenly. The worst thing about this heat is that I can't take going in and out of air conditioning too much because it triggers migraines. I felt one coming on yesterday, but I think I caught it.

I'm off to take my cold bath. Hopefully it will cool me down. To those of you not sweltering in the heat, read away and write to your hearts content in your diary, lord knows I'm too hot to do so.

Edited by - Jokelly on 08/03/2006 15:59:32
Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  01:01:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's always the possibility reading in the tub. That would solve both problems.
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  04:24:02  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You should probably shower afterwards though.
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  21:25:47  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I want some hot weather! Although I agree that reading is sort of nice in cool weather. I am such a coldfish, though, that I elicit comments like 'Augh, keep your feet off me!' when I'm trying to warm them up on the book's feet. Not the most attractive thing for a book to say, 'don't touch me!' *eyeroll*

Ben, do you have something to contribute to this thread?

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  22:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does Myf know something the rest of us don't? Is someone getting some reading in and not sharing?

The weather has finally broken, it was only 85F today. I did take my cold bath and had a fan blow on me while I was in there (it's safely away from water) and goosebumps all over from the chills but didn't care because I was cool for the first time in what seemed like forever. Last night was the first good sleep I had in a long time. I just don't do well with extreme weather. I can deal with the below zero temperatures because you can always put on another pair of socks or sweater, but you get to a point in hot weather that nothing helps, even standing in front of the air conditioner.

I'm totally off topic, but when are we usually on topic.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  23:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Jo, we were suffering with that weather a week ago and I do mean suffering! I cannot read when it's too hot. I'm much more likely to say "don't touch me!" when I'm feeling sticky and overheated than when it's cold out - cold feet and/or hands don't bother me at all, they heat up nicely with a little browsing. I guess I'm more of a cold weather reader anyway, although somehow both of my sequels got written in August without really any planning... Needless to say, we're now pretty careful about mid-summer reading, we make sure there are page protectors around!

Ben...?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.