Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 9

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  11:55:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought the Stephen Fry book reading occured before HPB? But back then it was called the Roger Davies thread.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  12:15:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no! Roger Davies was different - that was the thread where we all called dibs on various men in HP. I still have Lucius tied up somewhere...

The original Stephen Fry thread was a link (By Myf) to a newspaper article entitled something like "Stephen Fry only cares about length" referring to the upcoming HBP. And I replied that I thought a book's other attributes should matter. It all went into the gutter from there and in the gutter it has stayed. We can't change the title of this thread - it would be heresy!

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  15:41:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

The original Stephen Fry thread was a link (By Myf) to a newspaper article entitled something like "Stephen Fry only cares about length" referring to the upcoming HBP.

ahem!!!!

Myf Tsuki

I take full credit

Do you ever get in moods where all you want to do is read all day? And even when you're not reading you're thinking about it. Maybe it's the summer heat. Summer always has me needing to read even more then normal.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  15:48:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I'm the opposite! I'm a winter and vacation reader - when I'm too hot I just want to lie in cold water somewhere... by myself! The last thing I want is a book - even a great book - just waiting to be read.

Sorry Tsuki - I assumed it was Myf but that just goes to show what happens when you assume...

Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  16:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winter reading is cozy. And I read every day, so any season is nice. But in summer I'm always thinking about reading..to the point of distraction. Must be why my summer's are never very productive when it comes to major projects that don't require reading ^_^
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  17:15:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You read every day... wow. I'm amazed... and mildly jealous. (Yes, Yes I know she-dog you read twelve times a day and an extra time on Sunday but Tsuki has children around)

I have to say, my daughters' camp has online photos and they've been taking pictures of the summer camp counselors as well as the kids. There's some FINE reading material in that camp! Especially the instructive books on swimming - my girls are too young to truly appreciate the educational materials surrounding them, but their mother sure isn't! Just admiring the covers, of course.

Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  17:41:15  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
And yet when I say the same thing I get called a dirty old man.
Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  17:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrBen

And yet when I say the same thing I get called a dirty old man.

*snorts*

I love double standards!

My kids already look at the covers of books even though they're still ickle. Luckily they have fairly decent taste in the type of future reading material they'll probably favor. When Camoranesi's team mates cut his hair at the World Cup finals one of my daughters and I both screamed out 'Nooooooooooo!' in complete unison. Twas funny. It is a little weird though to be talking about hotties with one's daughter
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  18:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tsuki is now my hero. Everyday, really? Makes you wonder how much she read her book before kids.

Does your book have any eligible brothers, Tsuki?

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/19/2006 18:08:38
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  22:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is in awe of Tsuki's reading capabilities.
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  22:46:47  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't we all be reading every day if we had the chance? Or is this question just emphasising my maleness?
Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  23:41:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes..you may all bow to me great reading abilities

quote:
Originally posted by MrBen

Wouldn't we all be reading every day if we had the chance? Or is this question just emphasising my maleness?

Well...last time I looked I wasn't male And I obviously feel that way. I never understood why people wouldn't. I'd hate to have good reading material just sitting around getting dusty. It would drive me mad knowing I could be reading and wasn't. It's just too much fun.

quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

Nope. Just two brothers.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  23:42:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, we would all be reading that often, or more, if the chance presented itself. That's not maleness, just being human.

Now we all know why Tsuki kidnapped all the quidditch players on the Roger Davies thread.

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/19/2006 23:44:27
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  23:56:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And why they all left looking so happy. Dazed, but happy.

Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  00:27:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tsuki Keta
quote:

Nope. Just two brothers.

oh! and I meant to say...'Nope. Just two sisters'. But apparently I got all flustered and said 'brothers'. I must have been imagining a few extra Johnnys around. Very much like imagining a house full of Weasley boys. The thought made me giddy and addled my brain for a second [:I]

Edited by - Tsuki Keta on 07/20/2006 00:29:56
Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  01:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've been reading every other night more or less. It's one night of reading, and then the next day we both go "you're killing me, you have to let me sleep, I'm exhausted" and "who's keeping you from sleeping, sleep, go home right now and sleep, I don't care". Then the morning after that the "mmmmmmm, reading............." SMS-es start all over again

Problem is that after we read the book usually stays over, which is extremely pleasant, but we're both not used to actually spending the night with a book, so we keep waking up every half an hour or so and re-positioning and browsing a page here and there. It's one of those things that make you smile to yourself all the next day at work, but you also keep nodding off over your keyboard.

Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  14:36:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I take up the whole space on a bed. It's a knack I've had since I was a baby...I'm told. I'm only 5'2" but I can sprawl out enough to take up all the room on a queen size. Plus, I'm what my family calls a wiggleworm. I never stay in the same position through the night unless I'm sick. When we'd have to double up on beds on vacation when I was little nobody would ever want to share with me. Evidently I'm too active in my sleep, and a bit of a kicker and blanket hog. As you can surmise I'm not much of a cuddler, either.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  15:53:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
quote:

Nope. Just two brothers.

oh! and I meant to say...'Nope. Just two sisters'. But apparently I got all flustered and said 'brothers'. I must have been imagining a few extra Johnnys around. Very much like imagining a house full of Weasley boys. The thought made me giddy and addled my brain for a second [:I]

And here I thought you were just making nasty remarks about your SO's family.

Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  16:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No. I was just having a temporary brain freeze when the vision hit me of having multiple good books stacked-up, ready and waiting to be eagerly read by me, all at the same time.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  16:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, jees, now we're getting into reading multiple books at the same time. Just when you've thought we've exhausted the topic.

Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  17:06:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We can go back to talking about autobiographies also. That's always a fun subject matter ^_^
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  17:44:02  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
See, whenever I read a book in bed, I always seem to end up with about 1 foot of room on the edge of the bed while it takes up the rest.

Ah, autobiographies; what we read when there's nothing better around (or to do).
Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  17:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
:) MrBen, at least as a woman I have the excuse that I read very large books and they take up all the bed.
However, it seems that I'll be reading my own diary in the near future.

Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  17:53:29  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes, diary is a better term. An autobiography seems to be so... public. I don't think anyone wants their parents to see their diary entries.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  23:53:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say Paris Hilton keeps an autobiography.

Wonder what the average age is when people start keeping diaries? I bet there's some statistics somewhere.

Another question, why can't more books look like Jason Isaacs? He's just perfection. *watching his new series on Showtime*

Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  01:49:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bet there aren't valid statistics. Sometimes people can be secretive about their diary habits. Which is pretty stupid actually...because I'm sure loads of people use diaries. Even though I bet most people would say boys kept them before girls did....I bet girls actually start earlier.
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  02:42:58  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You're welcome to start us off and tell us when you started writing in your diary, Tsuki. :)
Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  02:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was probably earlier then most statistics. But I know one thing...I'm pretty sure keeping a diary helped me become a better reader.

Why does it seem it's ok/expected for boys to keep diaries?...but girls don't usually get the same acceptance. Like girls aren't supposed to keep diaries? It seems to be a weird taboo when it comes to girls. Maybe not so much anymore...But you still hear more about boys purging their daily thoughts then you do girls.
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  03:43:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really? I've always thought the opposite. Girls are always shown keeping diaries in pop culture. Boys not so much.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  04:16:43  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I assumed that everyone kept a diary. Why discriminate on gender?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.