Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 9

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  05:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*is nauseated* Not really.

One of my best friends is about to officially purchase a book she has been perusing since school. Some of our friends are a bit freaked out about it, but I'm really happy for them. I'm a closet romantic at heart. But don't tell anyone.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  19:07:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

Sad to say, but I know many girls who just went to college to find book to purchase. Getting an education was second on the list.

My mom calls this going to get your M.R.S.

And no, I have not read any good books lately....

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  04:55:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I have a little rant. My friend just sent me a link to an article, about some company that is working on a pill that would change the taste of ........ ink, to a fresh and lovely apple flavour.

Which of course leads me to my usual rant against this metrosexual (r@p, which is really a movement against the human male, just like the fashion industry has damaged the human female. This will not stand! People should taste like people, apples like apples, reading should smell like paper and taste like ink, this is the reality of the biosphere we live in!

[dead][dead][dead]

Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  06:23:00  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Naughtily, I had a discussion about this idea just yesterday. I won't go into details, you'd never talk to me again.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  07:25:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bet I would

Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  11:55:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would too.

She-dog a million years ago Mel Brooks put out a comedy record (that's how old it is - a record) using his character the "2000 year old man". He had a hilarious riff called "Strawberries" about what was wrong with modern humans - namely that they didn't want to smell like humans, they all wanted to smell like.. Strawberries! I guess you could update that to Apples.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Emmmma
Barmy

293 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  20:12:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apple flavor?

*is speechless*
words really don't do justice to this idea
it's like... er, better leave it at that

Formerly Garside! ;-)
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  07:06:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ugh. I wouldn't trust the quality of any sequels printed with that ink.

Bee, if it makes you feel any better, I'm beginning to think I'm illiterate.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  12:04:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's with us at HPG? Either feast or famine. Some of us have slipped into illiteracy, while others are voraciously reading.

I know someone who wants her book to get his inkwell fixed. The book is very relucant and doesn't want to do it even though they have two sequels and want to officially stop at this. The book is an idiot, though, because the only reason he doesn't want to do it is because his fellow friend got his inkwell fixed, broke the purchase agreement, and was rebought by someone else. The other book can't have sequels now with his second owner. Now this first book is happily purchased, but doesn't want to lose his masculinity.

As much as men think they like to talk, I think women talk in much more detail about reading than men do. Men like to brag, but women go in depth. They discuss covers, how many pages the book has, the quality of the text, how strong the spine is, is it a fast or slow read. Let me just say, I have much more knowledge on books I've never read than I've ever wanted to know.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/12/2006 12:08:44
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  19:23:57  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh, and I'm sure that my fiction book would love to know that its readable qualities - its flexibility, where I've read it, how long it took, what I liked, what I wished it could be, that I bought it just for the cover - have been spread about my male friends.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  23:09:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never said I talked like that. Just that I've been on the receiving end of those conversations.
The apple tasting ink reminds me of a bad fanfic I read months ago about the twins developing a product that did just that. I think it was on Checkmated's site.

*rants* They can develop a pill that makes ink change flavor, but they can't make one for men that reduces the risk of unplanned sequels. It's always up to the woman to take responsibility of preventing unplanned sequels. But then some books aren't that responsible so maybe it is a good thing for women to be in control of their own publishing capabilities.

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/12/2006 23:11:17
Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  04:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm scared that they'll mobilize reserves and take my book into the army...

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  05:56:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yowza, Shedog. I've been reading about it in the papers. It all seems so pointless, like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut. On a glass table. Still, the underlying principles are intact, and they're good; here's hoping this calms down and people get back to sanity.

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  08:35:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meh, I don't want to go into politics.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  10:11:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Up. Sorry; gotta kick the habit. I used to work for a war correspondant. It rubs off on you. Still, I hope you and your book get to snuggle up together for a long time to come.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  10:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

*rants* They can develop a pill that makes ink change flavor, but they can't make one for men that reduces the risk of unplanned sequels. It's always up to the woman to take responsibility of preventing unplanned sequels. But then some books aren't that responsible so maybe it is a good thing for women to be in control of their own publishing capabilities.

I think they have, Jo... or else I just imagined it... in which case, my imagination is weird.

Hope everything works out for your book, she-dog.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  10:44:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But would such a pill be used? Or would the concern over side effects and proper use be enough to prevent such editing?

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  11:56:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If a male version of "the pill" is already developed then men aren't using it. At least not in the States.

Go to Top of Page

Emmmma
Barmy

293 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  23:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone here been checking out or reading foreign-language books?
Recommended, or better to stick to books in one's own language?

Formerly Garside! ;-)
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  00:31:57  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Or even books just from a foreign land written in English?
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  14:28:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't read a book in a foreign language.

Does your book get to stay put, she-dog? The situation between Israel-Lebanon sounds like it's getting really ugly. I hope it doesn't turn into a war.
Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  05:16:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, they started calling in reserves today, just a small amount, and haven't called him yet. Looks like they're sending the reserves to other places so they can move the regular armies to odd jobs just beyond the Lebanese border. Problem is, "other places" are dangerous too...

That'll teach me to read male books, heh?

Edited by - she-dog on 07/18/2006 05:17:42
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  15:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emmmma

Has anyone here been checking out or reading foreign-language books?
Recommended, or better to stick to books in one's own language?

I had an innocent flirtation with a German book in high school who was there for the school year. He taught me to cuss in German and let me skip in front of him in lunch line. Looking back he reminds me a little of Krum...tall, gangly, with the biggest hands and feet I've ever seen on a person. *Get your minds out of the gutter*

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/18/2006 15:29:49
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  15:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*Tries very hard to drag mind out of the gutter*... *fails*

I don't have any experience with foreign language books but I can say that some times when you don't share a common culture, you get surprising and sometimes unwelcome plot twists. Expectations for what a reader needs to do or be can be very different. Some of it depends on the origin of the book, of course.

She-dog, don't women also get called up to the Israeli army?

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  02:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC
She-dog, don't women also get called up to the Israeli army?

Both women and men serve in the army after highschool - men serve 3 years and women about 20 months. After that, men do reserves duty until they're about 35-40 - once a year , or whenever something happens, and women in general get left alone after the regular service.
I didn't go to the army, I was smart enough at 17 to tell them where to stick it.

Edited by - she-dog on 07/19/2006 02:33:22
Go to Top of Page

crispy
Giddy

Japan
26 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  06:06:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uh ... who is Stephen Fry?

Order of the Bookmark
S.I.N.E. qua non
`Dark Puppy of the Apocalypse'
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  06:36:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stephen Fry narrates the HP books on tape. I forget how he became the name for this topic.
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  07:20:28  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's probably the fault of our resident Fry obsessive.
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  10:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps it should just be "book reading society?" So as to not confuse newcomers...

Or maybe confusing newcomers is the point...

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  11:16:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Myf could go into more details, but it started with an article about Stephen Fry describing HBP at the time it was being released and how he hoped it was long (and other things I can't remember) and naturally everyones minds went into that gutter and soon the word book became synonymous with...well I think you know. That then led to the corruption of the word "reading". I'm pretty sure it was Shedog who spurred it on.

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/19/2006 11:34:43
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.