Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 9

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  18:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ditto what Bee said. Very impressed, AMC, on the S.F. compliancy of the edit.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  14:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still no reading for me. Between a book that doesn't want to be read by me and another one that I don't want to even take from the shelf I am just not in the mood for reading.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  21:37:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While reading fanfiction on Livejournal I came across this avatar. It's great and felt it belonged on this thread:

http://www.livejournal.com/userpic/47555018/9517673

I cracked up when I saw it.

Edited by - Jokelly on 06/22/2006 21:40:00
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  22:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it![:x)]
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  23:04:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah!

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

SweetPea
Addled

Canada
184 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  12:16:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That icon is awesome! LOL!

Who says books and computers don't get along, my book built me a new computer so I can join you guy here. :) (And the book has been footnoted about HPG, as I asked him if he could host it 2 days before this lovley place was made)

Everyone's sigs amuse me in this thread... "bookmark", muhahaha.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  19:22:09  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That sucks, Unicorn. WHo wouldn't want to be read by you! Stupid books who think they know what's best...

I had a conversation last night with a girl I don't know particularly well and hadn't seen for a while. Originally she had moved here from NZ and then imported her book too. She had been reading it for years, and I thought she was going to make a purchase. They'd bought a bookshelf and everything.

Then she decided to abandon the book early this year, and very rapidly started flicking through something else. As she told the story, it became more and more juicy. The book - was an edition with work! Had a sequel 4 years younger than my friend! Was also being read on the side! My friend started spying on local libraries and saw he was frequently there! Unsurprisingly, she's getting rid of that book too.

Also unsurprisingly, she says she's had a really bad year.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  19:35:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seriously, WHERE ARE ALL THE BOOKS!?

Bah.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  21:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evidently not in Pennsylvania, Ireland, or Germany if by the responses on this thread.

Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  21:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've said it before, but I can't wait for the fall, when I'm going to a university with three massive libraries. The school I just left had a tiny library on the very top floor of our highest building, which made it very easy to avoid. And then, when you got there, there was very small selection, and all the ones worth reading had already been checked out.

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  07:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
University libraries SUCK! All libraries SUCK!

*is bitter*

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  10:12:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aw come on Bee,don't disillusion Cour before she even gets to University. There are a few books available that are worth reading. None that I've found worth that were worth reading long term, but for a flip through the pages or a short-term read it's good.

There was one book in grad school that I just had this massive crush on (really my last noteworthy crush) but he was in the process of being purchased by another. The book was located nearby but not in my office so I ended up having to see it everyday. Don't you hate it when a great book is already on the way to the check-out line in someone else's hands? I also had a smaller crush after that during student teaching on an adorable teaching manual upstairs in the building I was in. It was actually published a few years before me but got an earlier start in teaching. The book would pop in during my teaching and the kids just loved when it showed up (even though it was on a 6th grade level and we were 1st grade). But between being a slave to student teaching and being sick (had everything from bronchitis to poison ivy those 16 weeks) I had no desire to do anything but go home at night, take a few tylenol, and go to sleep...and maybe eat sometimes.

Bee, maybe you should start S.O.B.S. again. And might I suggest no honorary members...if you aren't bitter and single then you're not a S.O.B. That's the bitterness talking.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  12:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sniff.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  12:51:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never used to be bitter, even when I founded SOBS. Of course, that was before I started university, so I thought that the university library might have something interesting in stock. Let's hope Cour's new library has better books than mine!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles

Edited by - Bee on 06/24/2006 12:52:03
Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  02:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to add that this book I'm reading, eventhough it likes football (soccer), always prefers to read with me than to watch a game. Or, to quote him: "What game? I only know one game."
Of course I don't plan to test its loyalty with the championship matches

Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?
Go to Top of Page

Jewlz
Addled

Canada
60 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  03:35:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just came back from the library and I wanted to check out a book. Unfortunately for me, this book and my older brother are very good friends, this book also happens to teach at my younger brothers high school. I don't know, this book is really interesting!

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  09:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From my experience (oh so worldly am I ), college texts are best read but not neccesarily checked out. Quite a few people I know *ahem* have gone to the check out counter with their college texts and ended up selling them back to the bookstore for much reduced prices (or in the case of the library, with heavy fines). Reading isn't all to be considered when checking out or purchasing.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  10:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

From my experience (oh so worldly am I ), college texts are best read but not neccesarily checked out.

My experiences have led me to think this way also. Surprise surprise.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  17:55:31  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I only have one or two friends who have made purchases of university text-books. Things seem to be going swimmingly for them, but then again they waited until AFTER uni had finished before making the purchase. A better idea, I think.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  18:16:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I suppose it all depends upon the individuals and how long they've been in school (possibly more mature?). There's so much flux in life after school. Adjusting to life on the outside can be very stressful. The people I've known were married between one and five years when it all fell apart-- had kids, too (I didn't, thankfully). It's not that I feel all college relationships are doomed, it's just that I think waiting to make such a commitment is a better idea.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  22:36:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm.. maybe I shouldn't go to my new libraries with such high expectations for the standard of literature, especially considering I've never even seen any of them. But, then again, I shouldn't go in being a total pessimist either.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

SweetPea
Addled

Canada
184 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  00:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My University libraries weren't that good. They either had books that revolved only around hockey, "soda" and carnal relations or books that like other books.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  00:58:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loved summertime at the University. All kinds of sports books with their dust jackets off in training. Walking around campus was usually a treat during the afternoon. Nothing worth reading, but sometimes it's nice to just look.

I'm finding the type of books I like is changing. In one way, I'm more open to different books, but in another I've become much more discriminating. If that makes sense. Certain books that I liked 5 years ago no longer hold the appeal for me. That makes me glad I've never committed to purchasing anything, yet.

Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  19:19:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SweetPea

My University libraries weren't that good. They either had books that revolved only around hockey, "soda" and carnal relations or books that like other books.

Didn't your school have a really high girl-to-book ratio though? A few books that I went to school with (all hockey players actually) are going to OttawaU, and they're all very excited about the ratio.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  19:50:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sad to say, but I know many girls who just went to college to find book to purchase. Getting an education was second on the list.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  21:21:50  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That IS sad.

The Boy said something very nice to me the other night. We are so ridiculously happy, I'm almost nauseous.

Go to Top of Page

Sarah
Giddy

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  22:28:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no book to read. I know a couple months ago it sounded like I did, but after about a month we kind of reverted to just being friends, so no more potential for reading. So if someone starts up a new SOBS thread I'd be elligible for it once again.

I never found any good books in the college library, at least none where there was any mutual desire to read. For quite awhile I had my eye on an imported book with a very attractive cover, but of course someone had already checked this book out. That seems to always be the case with any book I take an interest in. I've checked out a couple books since college, but in both cases had to turn them back in after a few weeks or so, and I have yet find a book and keep it very long.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  22:31:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nauseous? Did you perhaps mean nauseating?

(I'm really very happy for you Myf, just giving you grief)

I know some people who stuck with their University books, but only a few. I know more people who found books in graduate school, strange to say. My first college was very small and academic and the book selection was DIRE, I gave up. After 3 years I switched to a big school in Southern Cal and had a blast - even just enjoying the wrappers of the books lying around there was a big treat after 3 years of deprivation. I think of my senior year as my play-time..

Go to Top of Page

SweetPea
Addled

Canada
184 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  22:57:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cour_Delafleur

quote:
Originally posted by SweetPea

Didn't your school have a really high girl-to-book ratio though? A few books that I went to school with (all hockey players actually) are going to OttawaU, and they're all very excited about the ratio.

Yeah, there is a high ratio, unless you are in the sciences, then it's more even.

Hockey players you say? Well, they'll love it here. Girls at this school will fall all over them as long has they have a number on thier back. That's why I was so disapointed, because the books know that there is always some other girl ready to read the way they want them to.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  23:33:05  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

Nauseous? Did you perhaps mean nauseating?

Definitely both at once, AMC! I nauseate even myself!

My book and I were actually at uni together, in the same course and for one year we did a lot of the same classes. We even graduated together. But it's such a big course and a huge uiniversity that we didn't know one another.

I'm glad. I think if I'd met the book as an undergrad I wouldn't have liked him much. He's quite privileged and as I was one of the very few students in the entire degree who DIDN'T come from the whole 'private school' thing in Melbourne I think it would have been a bit of a stumbling block.

I just saw this! How neat! I taught my niece to say 'arrr!' the other day, as she had made a pirate flag during storytime at the library. Nothing cuter than a 2-year-old pirate.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.