Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 9

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  18:23:41  Show Profile Send Siobhan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read any good books lately?

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  05:25:51  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mmmm, same old favorite book for me.

Eeyore
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  03:23:05  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not to do with books, really, but I noticed that I had posted the above before I changed my signature to include Order of the Bookmark, etc., but it didn't update it. It did add my avatar though.

Well, one thing about my book--I bought it a father's day card today, well ahead of my normal routine of waiting till the day before when most of the cards are gone and I have to elbow my way in to the card racks.

And today my book will find out which day he leaves for Germany. So sad that my book is roaming all over while I stay at home. *sigh*

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  09:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, but your roaming book returns to his library bearing gifts of chocolate![xo]

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  14:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having just acquired a little shelf in my local library for myself and my favourite read, I have been spending all my time organising it. This is no good, because one finishes up being to tired to read. Shall have to take things easier from now on.

Newguise xxx
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  15:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely time to stop reorganising the card catalogue!
Just pick up that book and snuggle up for a good read.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  19:19:31  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Plenty of reading going on! I think it's such a pleasant way to spend a morning/afternoon/evening/all night.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  13:56:08  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Turns out that my book won't be off roaming the world until the end of July or early August now. And you are right--my book does come back with lovely chocolate, and right now, all my chocolate is gone. I think I shared too much with the sequels when we had tea.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  15:19:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My book is off the the NASCAR races this weekend. Unfortunately, he comes home bearing gifts of dirty laundry. Wish I could train him to bring chocolate instead!

Edited by - n/a on 06/15/2006 15:20:08
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  16:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alas! There are no books to be found anywhere. That's what you get when you enter a female-dominated profession. The library has nothing but the wrong kind of book. *sulks*

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!

Edited by - Bee on 06/15/2006 16:34:05
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  16:48:00  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bee, same here, but completely the opposite. Perhaps we should both change careers?
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  16:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A capital idea!

Um, you do something with computers, no? That could be tricksy.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  22:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zero reading for me. I've been so busy with everything that comes with end of year that I haven't had time for anythying else. Oh well. And I don't have a book to take to my grad/prom type thing, but it doesn't bother me that much. The way our grad is organized is that there is actually very little to do with the books we bring except walking from the reception to my school (uphill in heels! eep).

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  22:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you take off your shoes when you have too walk up the hill?
Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  16:04:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still reading the same wonderful book over and over.

Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  17:52:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YAY! She-dog is here!!!

It's walking downhill in heels that's a big problem - uphill is easy.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Jewlz
Addled

Canada
60 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  20:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No reading here lately! Urgh! I need to find a good book!

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  04:12:01  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've been thinking of cutting down on my reading - it's making me sleep-deprived, which makes me sick. (Literally. I'll get the flu if I keep this up.)

Curse you, cruel world! *shakes fist*

Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  05:33:06  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If only we could all be so sick. :P
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  22:51:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to a Fourth of July party in a couple of weeks. It is being thrown by one of our groomers. Maybe my book will be there.
Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  02:05:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myf

I've been thinking of cutting down on my reading - it's making me sleep-deprived, which makes me sick. (Literally. I'll get the flu if I keep this up.)

Curse you, cruel world! *shakes fist*

I know how you feel. We've been trying to have one night of reading and then one night of rest, but every once in a while we just need one more night of rest because we're falling apart, nodding off at work etc.

Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  05:42:29  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's even worse when it takes up time in the morning too. Then, not only are you nodding off at work, you were late to work in the first place.

Isn't life hard!

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  22:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Turns out the Fourth of July party is being thrown by a kennel tech with the same name as one of the groomers. The book is the son of the woman hosting the party. We shall see what happens.

Edited by - JKRisSuperior on 06/19/2006 22:50:36
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  23:27:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...anyone else feel like joining me in flinging something heavy in the direction of both Myf's and Shedog's heads?

*tosses heavy paperweight in the air menacingly*

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 06/19/2006 23:28:40
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  23:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Err... yes. But since this is the Stephen Fry thread and for so long everyone on it was whining about a lack of reading material, I don't suppose we can complain if someone has an excess.

Go to Top of Page

she-dog
Addled

213 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  03:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hehe, I guess my new next door neighbor agrees with you Jokelly, because she yelled at me through the door last night for reading too loudly.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  05:32:16  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
:D, Shedog!

I wonder sometimes if I annoy my housemate with my shenanigans. I hope not, but you never know. One day we were talking about waking each other when coming home late (as my bedroom is at the front door) and she said 'I never hear anything from my room, unless it's something very loud, like moving furniture around'. And then I spent the next few minutes wondering whether my reading is more or less loud than moving furniture!

And apologies, Jo! But remember - one can always read alone, no? (Unless you're in some bizarre southern state, where it may or may not be illegal.)

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  13:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*puts paperweight down on the desk but keeps it nearby*

I can't fault you guys for indulging in all the reading you can get. If I currently had a book I know I wouldn't want to put it down. The weird thing is though that I have no desire to even find a book or read. Nothing looks interesting anymore even to catch my eye.

There was an article yesterday I read about keeping a book on long-term loan and not actually buying it. Here is a link:
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/CollegeAndFamily/LoveAndMoney/WhoLosesMostInaBreakup.aspx?GT1=8281
This is the reason I won't live with a book without purchasing it. Nothing to do with religious reasons, just it's gets too icky with money issues. And I want legitimate sequels someday.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 06/21/2006 13:34:42
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  14:26:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know what? It's just not that complicated - it's called thinking ahead. If you wish to live with a book for a while and see if you want to buy it (and no one says you have to) you just manage finances the way you would if you were sharing space with any other type of household object - sensibly, not romantically. If the book owns the bookshelf, they pay for it and you can help with expenses. No fuss, no muss. Library fees get split so it's not all on one library card and you maintain a good record. It's just common sense, frankly, in this day of paperbacks and trendy reading to cover your bases if you're not sold on settling down with a certain volume permanently. To be cynical, it's wise to cover your bases regardless... but certainly if you're in the "maybe I'll buy it someday" stage, you should never make assumptions that would ruin you financially if the book ends up not being a "keeper".

Edited by - AMC on 06/21/2006 15:31:19
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  14:36:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm - just realized it's the S.F. thread and there's no possible way I can put that in bookish terms, sorry.

Edit: HA! I was wrong, yes I can.

Edited by - AMC on 06/21/2006 15:32:40
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  15:52:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As someone who has read both versions of the above post: Hee.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic   
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.