Remakes...good, bad or depends.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  04:26:58  Show Profile Send dobbygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my new Entertainment weekly, they had a small story about Disney wanting to remake the movie Adventures in Babysitting. They were pleading with Disney not to do it.

This got me thinking. Hollywood has been a hotbed of remakes lately. What's your opinion on remakes? Can a remake ever be as good (or better) the second (or third) time around. What movies should never, ever, under any condition, get remade. What do you consider a remake?

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  04:39:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, I'm ambiguous about remakes. I definately fall into the depends catagory. My big problem is that Hollywood is relying too much on what was successful in the past instead of focusing on new ideas.

I can't even imagine the movie Adventures in babysitting getting remade (especially with Raven Simone starring as the babysitter, this according to EW). It was one of my favorite movies when I was a teen.

I was terrified when I first heard about Willy Wonka...until I learned that is was going to be based more on the book and not a musical (plus directed by Tim Burton and starring Johnny Depp). I'm of the belief that Charlie and the Chocolate factory is not a remake but more of a re-interpretation of the same material. Some call it semantics, but the characters in the book did not break out into song. I think alot of it has to do with age too. Charlie isn't that old as far as material goes. How many different versions of Shakespeare, Jane Austen, Dickens, etc have their been and yet none of the new movies get called remakes.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  12:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DG, I deleted the previous post. It looked like a duplicate of the one above except for it being a quote.

I'm not sure about remakes. The last few have been a mixed bag. I haven't seen a particularly well done one since Willy Wonka, and as you say, it wasn't truly a remake of the movie, just another interpretation of the book. The Ladykillers remake that came out a few years ago really sucked. Steve Martin's "reinterpretation" of the Pink Panther looked really horrid. Yours, Mine, and Ours appeared less than inspiring (especially when compared to the original) so I didn't bother spending the money to see it.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  14:25:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of people don't know that a number of classic movies, such as Ben-Hur, The Wizard of Oz, and The Magnificant Seven were actually remakes or re-adaptations. There are a number of valid reasons for remaking a movie; if the technology didn't exist at the time to do the film justice, if there's a different angle, say emphasising the villains' point of view, you want to explore, or if you want the movie to reach a wider domestic audience and you feel it would better do so in your own language (no, this is not a phenomenon unique to the English speaking world; there isn't a Western movie in existance that doesn't have a cheesy Bollywood musical/song and dance remake of it somewhere, and yes, that includes Resevoir Dogs).

But simply remaking an old property just because you want to cash in on nostalgia and feel it would be a decent vehicle with which to milk your latest hot young thing in the few remaining months before her career expires, then yes, that does cheese me off no end. And yes, it does get on my nerves when people call re-adaptations remakes. Leonard Maltin even had the gall to call the Peter Jackson LotR trilogy a remake of the Ralph Bashki cartoon! That's going too far.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 07/26/2006 14:28:29
Go to Top of Page

Foebane
Addled

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  02:49:51  Show Profile  Visit Foebane's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's Bakshi, Diri, Bakshi.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.