Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  02:25:46  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ah, I had forgotten about that old Active Topics button. Shall make use of.

Yes, I mean the birthdate function. I click on a day and it closes the window but never sets my birthdate (which I'll have you know adjusts so I'm always 24).

And how do I post more themes? It's just that I find purple on green really difficult to read. :)
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  04:35:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ben, to add your birthdate to your profile, click on the little calendar icon. After you select a year and month from the drop-down list, press the "Go" button, then click on your chosen day. It's easy to mess up, as I discovered last night when I glanced at my profile and noticed that I had myself down as being 13.

Thanks for the promotion, Siobhan! I shall rule with an iron fist.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!

Edited by - Bee on 06/17/2006 04:36:33
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  14:31:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you think the purple is hard on the eyes, you should have seen hyperlink blue! Positively blinding. Admins are the only ones with the power to change the board colours, sorry. I played with the purple a little last night because it was hard to read on the box background, but unless I go really light, which I find difficult to read, I'm rather stuck.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Ichtys
Giddy

Denmark
22 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  16:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys. Let me first of all say the boards look great. The background may be a little too dark, but that is such a minor detail I'll ignore any unease it gives.
A coupple of questions:
Could we have a topic named: "All you need is ask", where newbees and long time absentees (such as my self) can ask all the questions that relate to in-side jokes. Such as: is there a story behind the "Order of the Bookmark" that many have in their sig?.

Is it possible to have a "Go to last unread" button on each topic. I remember enjoying this feature when I was active on the Yoyo-boards.

When I reply to a topic I'm returned to the top of the last page in the topic, in stead of my own reply.

I really appreciate all the work that have been put into this board, so thank you Siobhan & Husband.

Regards Ichtys

Order of the Bookmark
Love ALL
Worship ONE
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  16:59:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ichtys

Could we have a topic named: "All you need is ask", where newbees and long time absentees (such as my self) can ask all the questions that relate to in-side jokes. Such as: is there a story behind the "Order of the Bookmark" that many have in their sig?

Good idea, Ichtys. Hope the new Information Desk covers this. Also hope Siobhan (and anyone else) doesn't object to one more sticky on this board - it can be taken down if you want. Don't want to clog up the place.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!

Edited by - Bee on 06/17/2006 17:01:55
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  17:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ichtys

Is it possible to have a "Go to last unread" button on each topic. I remember enjoying this feature when I was active on the Yoyo-boards.

When I reply to a topic I'm returned to the top of the last page in the topic, in stead of my own reply.
The active forum link at the upper right of the page will show you all topics that have been posted in since you last logged in. I think you can choose the last page of posts from there or if you click on the blue arrow next to the member name you jump to the last post-- hover over it a bit and a box will come up saying "jump to last post". I'm not sure about the returning to your own reply. That may not be possible with this board software.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  04:20:06  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You're doing a wonderful job, Siobhan!

And look, I'm a Mediwizard! ... does that mean I won't get giddy?

With regards to themes/skins/colours of the board, is someone who is not an admin able to play with them? I mean, if Ben had some sterling ideas, would he be able to mock up a pretend board and show us, then install the changes? (Does ANYONE have any idea what I mean? I'm talking such nonsense.)

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  05:31:26  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I might have to just go and set up a snitz forum of my own to fiddle with if it can't be done here. :)
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  06:26:58  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Did you get my point, though Ben? It seems like if you had the skillz and inclination to play with the board colours and skins, it would seem a shame that you couldn't help Siobhan out with it.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  11:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

Admins are the only ones with the power to change the board colours, sorry.
Listen guys, my whole priority has been to get these boards up and running. I expected that there would be complaints about colours and patterns, etc., but have put that on the back burner so to speak, in preference to getting things like active users lists, spellcheck (which still needs some work), and emoticons (which are also being tweeked) up.
To make skins work, first we have to change the banner to a transparent gif. That will take a little more of Husband's spare time-- not that he minds, but a little computer-free time would be pleasant.

If Ben has great colour ideas, I would be open to hearing them privately, but at present the only way to change the colours is to change them for everyone. The plain fact of the matter is, 100% satisfaction is not possible on this issue because everyone views colour differently as does every monitor.
I am working on this issue and have plans to do festive layouts for holidays (mentioned in HP), but I cannot please everyone and couldn't do so instantly if it were possible. So just hang in there and I'll do what I can about colours.

Myf:
quote:
And look, I'm a Mediwizard! ... does that mean I won't get giddy?

Mediwizards are considered part of the healing staff, I'm afraid, therefore you are not subjet to condition evaluation (ranking titles). However, the board does keep track of the number of posts you make, so if you should feel yourself coming down with something you could be made an inmate and be evaluated and ranked accordingly.

AMC, sorry to have missed your question regarding replys and topic starter earlier. I have to look into it.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  15:23:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we may be overwhelming Siobhan right away with all the suggestions. Her list may be getting longer than Santa's. I think the forum is just great and takes time to make perfect, but it will get there eventually.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 06/18/2006 15:23:40
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  17:58:03  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Siobhan, I think you might have missed the bit where getting other people to do some of the work was in order to alleviate the weight on your shoulders! So if it's more hassle to do it that way - no problems. We'll leave it be. :D

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  20:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AMC, I looked in all my adminly options, and there isn't one for droping the topic starter post in the reply window. All I can say is be aware that it is there (so you don't reply to it) and ignore it when looking for the last 15 posts that it shows you. It could be fairly amusing to see just how far we stray from the topic starter.

If you guys would like to get together and decide on an alternate colour scheme, go ahead. I rather like the bottle green institutional flooring look, but it is not for everyone. I don't know how many skins we will be able to make as choices, let's start with one or two (and prioritise it) since we'll be decorating for the holidays and go from there. I'll start a topic for you to discuss it. We're working on an intensive poll mod at the moment, but when that is finished we can work on the transparent gif.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  16:09:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
if you click on the blue arrow next to the member name you jump to the last post-- hover over it a bit and a box will come up saying "jump to last post".

I'm not sure if you are aware, but the little blue arrow only works like that on the main page. At the sub-board levels, it takes you to the first post on the topic.

Thank you so much for all your hard work! Every time I come to this place it feels more and more like home. I love doing this:
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  18:08:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try it on the active topics page (see the link at the upper right of the main page). This area will show any topics posted in since your last login including sub boards and the little blue arrows are there for any topic that has had new posts.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  18:56:13  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Try it on the active topics page (see the link at the upper right of the main page). This area will show any topics posted in since your last login including sub boards and the little blue arrows are there for any topic that has had new posts.

It's not working on my computer. I just tried it on this thread and it took me to the opening post on page one of this topic.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  20:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooies! Works for me - I like it!

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  08:12:57  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still checking that one out. I tried it on one and it took me to the first topic, but on another topic it took me to the last post.

I'll jump over to the Board Skins thread to comment there--seems I've missed a bit by being gone for two days. Well, not gone, but with Father's Day and having to prepare for a meeting Monday night, I wasn't around at all on Monday either.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  09:27:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MrBen posted 6/18/2006 23:42:25
quote:
Some new icons would be cool - like when we had pawprints for the topics. If I get time I might look into it.

Chief Healer:
I just moved this over here to keep the board skin topic on track.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  10:12:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sunsethill

quote:

It's not working on my computer. I just tried it on this thread and it took me to the opening post on page one of this topic.

There seems to be an issue with topics of multiple pages. We'll have to work on it.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

admin
Mad-Eye Moody

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  15:20:45  Show Profile  Visit admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
By jove I think I've got it
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  06:08:39  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yay! It works!

*hugs Mad-Eye*

Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  23:18:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything looks really great. No suggestions to add.

Hooray!
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  11:54:02  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
There seems to be an issue with topics of multiple pages. We'll have to work on it.

Yeah! It's now working for me, too. Thanks!
The arrow takes me to the last post in the topic, though, not the last post I have read.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non

Edited by - sunsethill on 06/22/2006 11:54:39
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  13:10:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, that was what I understood the question to be.
The active topics page shows the topics last posted in. I usually remember what page things were on when I last looked so I've never really needed to find replies unread. I'll look into it though.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  18:43:25  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, that was what I understood the question to be.
The active topics page shows the topics last posted in. I usually remember what page things were on when I last looked so I've never really needed to find replies unread. I'll look into it though.

Maybe I am just remembering incorrectly how it worked at other sites. Having the arrow take you to the last post is really helpful.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Emmmma
Barmy

293 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  12:18:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have any suggestions. I simply love it.

Formerly Garside! ;-)
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  10:46:19  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is not an urgent suggestion and I know that you have mentioned looking for more icons. But why is icon!Harry's hair brown instead of black and why is icon!Ron's hair brown instead of red? And where is Ginny?

Oh, and can someone instruct me in the proper use of the squid icon? I'm sure there is a story behind it's presence--and I think I can even come close to guessing--but I would like to be sure.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  16:44:27  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The page numbering below each thread title shows every page. As some threads *cough* q&abecausewe'reallnosey *cough* get posted in, it can get very big on the page. I know this from other forums. So...

Q&A Because we're all nosey
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

becomes

Q&A Because we're all nosey
1 2 3 ... 9 10 11
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  19:37:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sunsethill

This is not an urgent suggestion and I know that you have mentioned looking for more icons. But why is icon!Harry's hair brown instead of black and why is icon!Ron's hair brown instead of red? And where is Ginny?
The easy answer is because the place I swiped them from had them as is-- and no Ginny.

quote:
Oh, and can someone instruct me in the proper use of the squid icon? I'm sure there is a story behind it's presence--and I think I can even come close to guessing--but I would like to be sure.
There isn't any etiquette to using . I just liked it.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.